Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    His face gets more suitable each year, in 5 years he will be just right.
    wF2i6AM.jpg
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I just don't really like his weak jawline/ roundish face

NicholasHoultLSpecialScreeningFoxSearchlightMRkQ33bEU3ux.jpg

I'm not sold on him, really........unless Eon were adapting the Young Bond novels.
    Still he's not quite imposing enough for my tastes.

How about Turner then?
    MSL49 wrote: »

I'm not sold on him, really........unless Eon were adapting the Young Bond novels.

How about Turner then?
    A. Turner, absolutely.
    C. Turner, No...

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »

How about Turner then?
    A. Turner, absolutely.
    C. Turner, No...

Agreed.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    If Hoult was the next Bond, I'd check out. Nothing about him screams Bond to me.

I'd watch Bond even if Ron Jeremy starred in it. You'd really avoid watching it? Hell, I'd even watch it if Cavill played Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Murdock wrote: »
    If Hoult was the next Bond, I'd check out. Nothing about him screams Bond to me.

I'd watch Bond even if Ron Jeremy starred in it. You'd really avoid watching it? Hell, I'd even watch it if Cavill played Bond.

Same.

It's a tricky one to answer. I still haven't made it past the 6-minute mark of Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker yet, and probably never will. I'd certainly avoid paying good money to see a Bond actor I couldn't endorse at the cinema. Seriously, I've seen every Bond movie in the theatres over the past 50 years, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to break that tradition if I disapproved of their new choice in James Bond.
    bondsum wrote: »

It's a tricky one to answer. I still haven't made it past the 6-minute mark of Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker yet, and probably never will. I'd certainly avoid paying good money to see a Bond actor I couldn't endorse at the cinema. Seriously, I've seen every Bond movie in the theatres over the past 50 years, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to break that tradition if I disapproved of their new choice in James Bond.

Talking of Disney, if they got hold of Bond, it’s over. Far more damaging than any miscasting of the lead actor.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Talking of Disney, if they got hold of Bond, it’s over. Far more damaging than any miscasting of the lead actor.
    Both are equally damaging as each other. Miscast the role of Bond in an EON production and you still have an unsuitable actor in the lead role. Having Disney takeover doesn't even bare thinking about it. As you clearly expressed: it's game over!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    There is no actor that they could choose for Bond that would prevent me from seeing the film at the cinema, provided it got at least decent reviews. If the film had bad reviews, that's where goodwill towards the lead actor comes in: if I feel the actor is a really great Bond I will turn up at the cinema to watch a mediocre 007 film, if I don't like the lead actor I won't.

All that said, if they do something stupid like go the codename route, I'm out. Once you say James Bond is just a codename and the new guy really is a new guy, then any loyalty I had towards the character is gone and I'm just looking at the guy who replaced my hero. Why would I turn up to see that?

Not that I think they're stupid enough to go for the codename route, but in these crazy days of Brexit and global pandemic I feel a bit like I'm trapped in a horror film where people make bizarre decisions just to move the stupid plot along.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    bondsum wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Plus would it even be an attempt to do the 50s/60s setting accurately or to just attempt to recreate the version Ken Adam gave us the first time round?
    As you say, Bond should keep moving on and be up to date.
    It would probably end up looking more like Austin Powers' interpretation of the Swinging Sixties London than what it really looked like. Everything would be amplified and dialed up a notch to 11.

And also just very limited. Compare Man From UNCLE's 60s Berlin (some very dark back streets) to Funeral in Berlin's 60's Berlin- a bustling, wonderfully varied metropolis. Half of the travelogue aspect of Bond would go out of the window straight away.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Rupert Friend is closer than many other's because he made reading's last time around.
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    I think Rupert Friend is closer than many other's because he made reading's last time around.

Maybe with 5 years off his age. He'd have been ideal if Craig hadn't returned after Step Brothers, sorry, SPECTRE. He's like the one that got away.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 3,333
    mtm wrote: »
    And also just very limited. Compare Man From UNCLE's 60s Berlin (some very dark back streets) to Funeral in Berlin's 60's Berlin- a bustling, wonderfully varied metropolis. Half of the travelogue aspect of Bond would go out of the window straight away.
    Very limited indeed. Various locations stood in place for Berlin in The Man From UNCLE, such as the public toilet fight between Solo and Kuryakin, which was shot in Regent's Park in London, while the Wartburg vs Trabant car chase during the movie's first act was shot in Chatham Historic Dockyard, Kent, not the darks streets of Berlin. No matter how good the set decorators are, my mind is constantly telling me it's all fake. As you pointed out, watching Funeral in Berlin you can see the full scope of the city and the real Berlin Wall. That just can't be replicated realistically. Even Spielberg's Bridge of Spies felt phoney to me.

London had quite a grubby look back in the Sixties, with buildings still covered in black soot from all the coal fires, German bombings, London smog and industrial smokestacks. Shooting a period movie here today, everything would look pristine and clean, especially as so many historic and commercial buildings have been thoroughly dredged and renovated throughout the Eighties to present-day. And that's just London. Many places around the world have evolved rapidly since the Sixties. Trying to retro-fit Bond into the Sixties, or Fifties, would hamper any future Bond production severely. I can understand why fans of the books would like to see a so-called faithful adaption made of their favourite Bond novel, but it would end up looking more like a cheap parody than an accurate portrayal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You make a good point about Bridge of Spies though, that did do a better job.

How about Turner then?

I like Aidan. I thought he was impressive in AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.
    For anyone who might possibly still be thinking of Richard Madden as someone to consider to portray Bond, please watch The Take, from 2016. Pretty recent. It has both Richard Madden and Idris Elba. Madden (5'9 3/4") looks like a little boy compared with Elba (6'2 1/2"), and not just with regard to height. There's even a line -- not just in character but true for the viewers -- where Madden's character explains why he ran away from Elba's character, by asking the question: "Have you seen yourself ?" There are several scenes of up-close fighting between Elba's character and other characters trained for it. He looks terrific in it. If you've seen other parts played by Elba you'd know he has the range for drama-humor-charm and has a megawatt smile as well as a terrific expression when angered or just serious. Madden -- as in Bodyguard -- wears the furrowed brow quite a bit. He just doesn't have the physicality to make it credible.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I liked Bodyguard an awful lot like most people, but I wasn't getting Bond from that.

How about Turner then?

I like Aidan. I thought he was impressive in AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.
    Aidan is currently playing Leonardo da Vinci in the upcoming TV series from Sherlock writer Steve Thompson and The X-Files writer Frank Spotnitz. Good to see he's continuing to play lofty and meaty roles before he finally dons the tux and Walther PPK next year.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

I can understand someone declining to watch a new Bond movie if the actor deviated hugely from the standard accepted profile - such as Elba or Chalamet (not saying that I would boycott, but that I can understand that drive). But I seriously don't understand why you would boycott an actor who is handsome, 6'3, not too famous, a good actor, dark haired, athletic, and who looks good in a DJ.

Hoult has a lot more Bond about him than Craig did at comparable points in their careers.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

I can understand someone declining to watch a new Bond movie if the actor deviated hugely from the standard accepted profile - such as Elba or Chalamet (not saying that I would boycott, but that I can understand that drive). But I seriously don't understand why you would boycott an actor who is handsome, 6'3, not too famous, a good actor, dark haired, athletic, and who looks good in a DJ.

Hoult has a lot more Bond about him than Craig did at comparable points in their careers.

He prefers his Bond's superficial and smug.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Shardlake wrote: »

He prefers his Bond's superficial and smug.

@Shardlake, don't speak for me or assume what I prefer. You don't know me or what I like. After 14 long years of an unconventional brooding Bond who has no enjoyment of life, I'd like to see a return to a more classic lighter Bond. Someone who has more emotion and has an enjoyment for the finer things. I guess wanting some more fun injected into the Bond franchise after so long is soooo bad.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I agree with lighter Bond.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131

He still looks far too young though.

In 5 years I imagine he’ll still look too young. He still looks like a boy.

Yes, Connery was 33 when he started, but he looked 43. The same with Lazenby at 29, he looked late 30’s etc.
    Look at Tom Cruise In the first Mission Impossible, he was 34 but could have easily played a 20 year old character.

Where an actor may play the same character over a 15 plus year span, In this case Bond, a youthful look is an asset .

We live in a different era than that of Connery and Lazenby; in general, today, people look relatively younger, at comparable ages, than did those in the past.

5 years ago I would have scoffed at the thought of Nicholas Hoult as James Bond; but between then and now he has grown into his looks and will continue to do so. Another 5 years down the line he will be in a perfect position to begin a long run as 007.

Yes, Connery was 33 when he started, but he looked 43. The same with Lazenby at 29, he looked late 30’s etc.

People look younger these days, though. I have said this before, but it seems everyone on here is obsessed with how young people look, but as soon as an actor gets to 38 we start to say he's starting to get too old for the part. After 40, forget it.

It appears that we have to add to the essential criteria that the actor must be in the 35-39 year old sweet spot AND to look older than his years.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Look at Tom Cruise In the first Mission Impossible, he was 34 but could have easily played a 20 year old character.

Where an actor may play the same character over a 15 plus year span, In this case Bond, a youthful look is an asset .

We live in a different era than that of Connery and Lazenby; in general, today, people look relatively younger, at comparable ages, than did those in the past.

5 years ago I would have scoffed at the thought of Nicholas Hoult as James Bond; but between then and now he has grown into his looks and will continue to do so. Another 5 years down the line he will be in a perfect position to begin a long run as 007.

But Tom Cruise didn’t look like ‘a boy‘ in MI1.

Young, yes. But not school boy/ student age like Hoult.

He may look fine for in 5 years. who knows.

People look younger these days, though. I have said this before, but it seems everyone on here is obsessed with how young people look, but as soon as an actor gets to 38 we start to say he's starting to get too old for the part. After 40, forget it.

It appears that we have to add to the essential criteria that the actor must be in the 35-39 year old sweet spot AND to look older than his years.

Yes people do look younger nowadays. My point is Bond shouldn’t look like boy/ man child as Hoult does.

Craig was 37 when he was cast, giving longevity. But he looked 45. Manly. Not Boyish. Bond is not boyish.
    I don't think Craig looking 45 when he was 37 was a plus point, though.
    I don't think Craig looking 45 when he was 37 was a plus point, though.

He was for Bond IMO. But the point is he didn’t look much younger than he is. He couldn’t have played a 23 year old like Hoult can at the moment.