Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    mtm wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Why EON doesn't have put all the screentest on youtube?

Lots of reasons I imagine. They wouldn’t want muddy the idea of Bond in peoples eyes by showing them everyone who tried out. They could publicly release any number of behind the scenes footage but no production company really does this; if they want to sell a collectors edition bluray or something down the road this kind of footage is more valuable if it isn’t publicly available.

I’d be interested in seeing John Gavin’s.

I’d hope it wouldn’t be as bad as James Brolin’s awful test, seeing as Gavin was actually signed!

When he was tested and signed?

1970/ 71 and paid in full for a role he never fulfilled, so Connery could return.

Here’s a crap screen test from a New Zealand chap. One word.....flat.

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/would_be_bond.htm

That's amazing, I've not seen that before, thanks.

Quite interesting that they're presumably working with an early version of the script too. Seems bizarre to put in mentions of Tracy/Teresa etc.

Quite funny to see a Bond film shot like an episode of The Saint! :D

Pleasure. It’s quite a feat to show you lot something you haven’t seen!

Yes interesting stuff. Agreed on the Saint comment. Just shows what a star Moore was to elevate a production like that and make it something quite special.

bondsum wrote: »

Lots of reasons I imagine. They wouldn’t want muddy the idea of Bond in peoples eyes by showing them everyone who tried out. They could publicly release any number of behind the scenes footage but no production company really does this; if they want to sell a collectors edition bluray or something down the road this kind of footage is more valuable if it isn’t publicly available.

I’d hope it wouldn’t be as bad as James Brolin’s awful test, seeing as Gavin was actually signed!

1970/ 71 and paid in full for a role he never fulfilled, so Connery could return.

I thought it was interesting that Roger Green quoted Broccoli as saying: “We are not so concerned with your acting ability, after all, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service made more money at the box office than any other film in 1970 – we are more interested in how athletic you are.”

Much as Cubby is a legend and a genius, this is a silly comment. They were lucky Lazenby ‘DID’ have some natural raw acting ability.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 15,074

I thought it was interesting that Roger Green quoted Broccoli as saying: “We are not so concerned with your acting ability, after all, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service made more money at the box office than any other film in 1970 – we are more interested in how athletic you are.”

Much as Cubby is a legend and a genius, this is a silly comment. They were lucky Lazenby ‘DID’ have some natural raw acting ability.

And also I would suggest he wasn't really telling the truth there: especially as they hired Roger Moore a couple of years later- a man with almost no athletic ability at all! :)

I agree that Lazenby impressed more than this guy, although we've only seen him in the finished film where for all we know there were multiple takes to choose the best from and each shot being more intensely directed to coax a performance from Lazenby. From the sounds of that interview this guy was kind of chucked in the deep end a bit more!
  • mtm wrote: »
    Quite interesting that they're presumably working with an early version of the script too. Seems bizarre to put in mentions of Tracy/Teresa etc.
    It's not so much a dialogue from an early draft than a direct use of Fleming's text, I think: in the DAF novel, Bond assumes that the T stands for Teresa, Tess, Thelma, Trudy or Tilly. Unless of course Maibaum was planning to rework this line as a reference to the previous movie, but I doubt it was the case.

And also I would suggest he wasn't really telling the truth there: especially as they hired Roger Moore a couple of years later- a man with almost no athletic ability at all! :)

I agree that Lazenby impressed more than this guy, although we've only seen him in the finished film where for all we know there were multiple takes to choose the best from and each shot being more intensely directed to coax a performance from Lazenby. From the sounds of that interview this guy was kind of chucked in the deep end a bit more!

Agreed on all points.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's not so much a dialogue from an early draft than a direct use of Fleming's text, I think: in the DAF novel, Bond assumes that the T stands for Teresa, Tess, Thelma, Trudy or Tilly. Unless of course Maibaum was planning to rework this line as a reference to the previous movie, but I doubt it was the case.

He says Tracy as well though, and bearing in mind OHMSS was the previous film (and not the book before DAF) it's a bit weird to have him sort of casually tossing that name out playfully.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

A little bit harsh saying Moore didn't have any athletic ability at all. Have to remember he is the oldest Bond, and the oldest when he first took the role. Look how Connery moves in NSNA again - age catches us all. I know from myself how athletic I was up until 40 (boxing, martial arts, football, running), after which you can't help but start to creak a bit. I can still get involved but it gets tougher and tougher.

He does mostly ok I think, especially from LALD to TSWLM. He has the odd good moment later in the series. Obviously he is not moving like Craig, or sprightly like Lazenby. But he can throw a good enough punch early on in his career and up to about TSWLM. Not sure if back in those days a team of trainers would help an actor look more convincing on screen, like they do now. If they had, he might have looked more dynamic in those later films.

Also, he was athletic enough given what films were like back then. Comparing the fight scenes from LALD to OP with films made during the same period shows they are pretty much level with anything being produced, bar the odd one or two examples (and discounting Kung Fu movies - which don't really have the same style as Bond).

No doubt he is the least athletic Bond actor, but had he taken the role at 35 rather than 45 we might have a different opinion.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

parkert5 wrote: »
    Has producer's go back to actor's who have impressed they in the past with screentest's?

I dont know about screentest but Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan were all looked at and/or in the running before they got the role.
    Roger Moore, yes. He was considered for TMWTGG before the producers decided to switch to OHMSS, but it didn't go so far as a screen test. Dalton turned down all advances, including the one in 1970 to replace Lazenby, so a screen test was never made. He also turned down the offer of a screen test in 1980 for FYEO. However, Brosnan did do a screen test for TLD, which was reenacting scenes from OHMSS.

Why he turned down to FYEO screentest?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 15,074

A little bit harsh saying Moore didn't have any athletic ability at all. Have to remember he is the oldest Bond, and the oldest when he first took the role. Look how Connery moves in NSNA again - age catches us all. I know from myself how athletic I was up until 40 (boxing, martial arts, football, running), after which you can't help but start to creak a bit. I can still get involved but it gets tougher and tougher.

He does mostly ok I think, especially from LALD to TSWLM. He has the odd good moment later in the series. Obviously he is not moving like Craig, or sprightly like Lazenby. But he can throw a good enough punch early on in his career and up to about TSWLM. Not sure if back in those days a team of trainers would help an actor look more convincing on screen, like they do now. If they had, he might have looked more dynamic in those later films.

Also, he was athletic enough given what films were like back then. Comparing the fight scenes from LALD to OP with films made during the same period shows they are pretty much level with anything being produced, bar the odd one or two examples (and discounting Kung Fu movies - which don't really have the same style as Bond).

No doubt he is the least athletic Bond actor, but had he taken the role at 35 rather than 45 we might have a different opinion.

I don't know, if you watch him in anything when he was 35 I think you get much the same impression! It's not a great fault of his, I think his strengths lay in other areas and I think he's terrific regardless, but athleticism was just never one of his selling points! :) And Connery in NSNA doesn't exactly move badly- look at him sprinting off when he hears Rowan Atkinson sneaking up in the final scene. He was still pretty trim.
    Imagine an actor being cast as James Bond today and actually asking to not be shown on screen running! :D I think Rog is only really seen running once or twice as Bond and you can see why he asked them not show it!
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,333

Maybe Cubby was trying to put Roger Green at ease, but the point was OHMSS made a shed load of money at the BO in 1970 with a novice actor in the lead. People tend to forget that Lazenby was also nominated for a Golden Globe for Most Promising Newcomer. I actually think some of his performances in that movie, such as Tracy holding a gun on Bond, are some of the best acted scenes in the entire series.
    From what I read, Lazenby didn't get that many takes, which was one of his big complaints afterwards. He said that if he'd been a more experienced actor, he would've asked to try the scene again, but Peter Hunt seemed happy with what he got in the first couple of takes. The only noticeable multiple takes were for Tracy's death scene.

Roger Green wasn't terrible in that screen test. He just didn't seem to know when to pause in his line delivery or how to look at ease. Connery would've walked in there with one hand tucked behind his back, or with one hand stuffed in his trouser pocket to look more natural. Green kind of reminded me of an unpolished Pierce Brosnan; he had the same light wispy voice. Only thing really missing was the self-deprecating squint. I think the dialogue was pre-Tom Mankiewicz, which was why it lacked the final polish and still included an odd reference to Countess Tracy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Roger Green wasn't terrible in that screen test. He just didn't seem to know when to pause in his line delivery or how to look at ease. Connery would've walked in there with one hand tucked behind his back, or with one hand in his trouser pocket to look more natural. Green kind of reminded me of an unpolished Pierce Brosnan; he had the same light wispy voice. Only thing really missing was the self-deprecating squint. I think the dialogue was pre-Tom Mankiewicz, which was why it lacked the final polish and still included an odd reference to Countess Tracy.

It's certainly interesting, on today of all days, to see someone else doing a version of a scene we're all familiar with Sean Connery doing and for that to really throw into sharp relief just what difference it makes having Connery in a scene. He's magnetic and charismatic and switches between playful and dangerous effortlessly, and we can tell what he's thinking and laugh with him and care for him; whereas this other guy in this version of the scene is.. present. He says the lines as they're written. But you're not getting all of that extra you got from Sean Connery.

Funny how a scene he's not in works as a tribute to his talents! :)
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,333

parkert5 wrote: »
    Has producer's go back to actor's who have impressed they in the past with screentest's?

I dont know about screentest but Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan were all looked at and/or in the running before they got the role.
    Roger Moore, yes. He was considered for TMWTGG before the producers decided to switch to OHMSS, but it didn't go so far as a screen test. Dalton turned down all advances, including the one in 1970 to replace Lazenby, so a screen test was never made. He also turned down the offer of a screen test in 1980 for FYEO. However, Brosnan did do a screen test for TLD, which was reenacting scenes from OHMSS.

Why he turned down to FYEO screentest?
    He said he didn't like the direction and comical tone the movies had gone in under Roger Moore.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    He still tested after AVTAK.
    After much consideration, and moving on from the handsome and dashing Idris Elba only due to his age -- Chris Hemsworth. 6'2+
    Solid
    Handsome
    Experienced in large- scale productions
    Humorous touch. I've not seen him show the dramatic range Elba has covered, but, like many, I expect the films to go for a lighter tone with spectacular action. As at various junctures in the past, it is time for a tonal shift.
    Since62 wrote: »
    After much consideration, and moving on from the handsome and dashing Idris Elba only due to his age -- Chris Hemsworth. 6'2+
    Solid
    Handsome
    Humorous touch. I've not seen him show the dramatic range Elba has covered, but, like many, I expect the films to go for a lighter tone with spectacular action. As at various junctures in the past, it is time for a tonal shift.

His English accent is fake though.

Pretty bad in Thor, Men in Black and Rush.

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England

I don't know, if you watch him in anything when he was 35 I think you get much the same impression! It's not a great fault of his, I think his strengths lay in other areas and I think he's terrific regardless, but athleticism was just never one of his selling points! :) And Connery in NSNA doesn't exactly move badly- look at him sprinting off when he hears Rowan Atkinson sneaking up in the final scene. He was still pretty trim.
    Imagine an actor being cast as James Bond today and actually asking to not be shown on screen running! :D I think Rog is only really seen running once or twice as Bond and you can see why he asked them not show it!

Like I said, he's the least athletic Bond and I am not saying athleticism is one of his selling points. But he's not terrible. Watch him in The Wild Geese and North Sea Hijack and you wouldn't say he couldn't pull off an action role.

I think when he's 35 he's fine too.

Matter of opinion of course, but Moore's moves in OP are far, far better than Connery's in NSNA. The fight in Octopussy's bedroom is great, for e.g. And I am a fan of NSNA too - not slagging Connery because I love him in that film.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How about Liam Hemsworth?
    He still tested after AVTAK.
    Yes, that's correct. But another member here was alluding that Dalton had perhaps made a screen test during Moore's tenure or before, which he didn't. The only existing screen test featuring Dalton will be around 1986.
    It's certainly interesting, on today of all days, to see someone else doing a version of a scene we're all familiar with Sean Connery doing and for that to really throw into sharp relief just what difference it makes having Connery in a scene. He's magnetic and charismatic and switches between playful and dangerous effortlessly, and we can tell what he's thinking and laugh with him and care for him; whereas this other guy in this version of the scene is.. present. He says the lines as they're written. But you're not getting all of that extra you got from Sean Connery.

Funny how a scene he's not in works as a tribute to his talents! :)
    I agree. Connery made it look effortless, which was a skill in itself.

I know it's been said before but I'd really love to see all the other Bond screen tests. The Champions' William Gaunt also screen tested for Connery's replacement after DAF; along with Jeremy Brett and Simon Oates. I'd also like to see Oliver Tobias' screen test, as I always thought he looked like a rugged version of Pierce Brosnan.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    William Gaunt, that's interesting; he had that sort of laid back thing in the 60s- almost a bit James Coburn-ish. And Jeremy Brett was a strikingly handsome guy at that time, very Bondish.

1186ac2f2d998d3d161dd3ac3f2ca066.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,006
    Solid
    Handsome

When has he done an English accent?

Also, with each performance , he has improved as an actor , particularly Thor: Ragnarok, where on top of the required action he showed both humor and charm , and in Extraction, where he gave a strong performance as a contemporary, mortal, hero.

If they want to balance a lighter Bond who can also pull off action, Chris Hemsworth is a strong contender, more do than Liam.

edited November 2020 Posts: 5,131
    talos7 wrote: »
    Solid
    Handsome

When has he done an English accent? .

In all those films I’ve mentioned he puts on (or at least try’s to) a faux English accent.

In Men in Black he’s supposed to be an English agent. In Rush he’s an English Racing Driver (James Hunt). In Thor, for some reason, he try’s Received Pronunciation, but it’s clearly ‘put on’ and not natural.

He hasn’t mastered the English accent.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Solid
    Handsome

In all those films I’ve mentioned he puts on (or at least try’s to) a faux English accent.

In Men in Black he’s supposed to be an English agent. In Rush he’s an English Racing Driver (James Hunt). In Thor, for some reason, he try’s Received Pronunciation, but it’s clearly ‘put on’ and not natural.

Well thankfully he has time to work on it. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah he’s not mastered it. I found it refreshing in Extraction where he was allowed to be Aussie for a change- he should pull a Sir Sean and tell people that’s just his accent and people can deal with it.
    Yeah he’s not mastered it. I found it refreshing in Extraction where he was allowed to be Aussie for a change- he should pull a Sir Sean and tell people that’s just his accent and people can deal with it.

Extraction was good, I agree.

He couldn’t do the ‘Auzzie approach’ for Bond though.
    Solid
    Handsome

Well thankfully he has time to work on it. ;)

Thor came out in 2011. So he’s already been trying for 9 years. It’s not looking good.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 15,074

I think it would be fine for his other roles though: would anyone have cared if his character in Men in Black had had an Aussie twang? Just own it.
    Another American who can do a decent Brit accent in that though: Tessa Thompson.

I think it would be fine for his other roles though: would anyone have cared if his character in Men in Black had had an Aussie twang? Just own it.

True.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I sincerely hope he doesn’t get the role; he’s everywhere right now, and doesn’t need it. Not to mention it’d just be Chris Hemsworth in a James Bond film. At least Aidan Turner would feel somewhat fresh and new, and could actually become the character, and I’m not even that keen on him.
    William Gaunt, that's interesting; he had that sort of laid back thing in the 60s- almost a bit James Coburn-ish. And Jeremy Brett was a strikingly handsome guy at that time, very Bondish.

1186ac2f2d998d3d161dd3ac3f2ca066.jpg
    I think both Cubby and Harry would screen test quite literally anyone that bore a slight passing resemblance to Connery in those days. Of course, the screen test I'd be most curious to see would be the Michael Billington ones, especially as he was always Roger Moore's replacement should his negotiations fall through. For those that aren't familiar with Billington, he also played Sergei who was in bed with Barbara Bach in TSWLM's pre-title ski chalet and escape sequence.

MV5BYzliYzliODUtMGUwMC00ZTc1LTk2NTctZTU4M2VmMzc2NWIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI5NDcxNzI@._V1_.jpg
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I sincerely hope he doesn’t get the role; he’s everywhere right now, and doesn’t need it. Not to mention it’d just be Chris Hemsworth in a James Bond film. At least Aidan Turner would feel somewhat fresh and new, and could actually become the character, and I’m not even that keen on him.

I can’t argue with that.