Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Daniel316Daniel316 United States
    I wouldn't mind a Connery like feel either, as long as Bond is his usual self again I'm good. Oh and the movies need to be well written and all that Jazz but that's pretty much a given
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While I see lightening up I don't see Barbara going for lighthearted.

This was a trait of her Father's era, she has taken Bond different places and I can see with Greg likely taking over from his Father, they won't divert significantly from that direction.

Also Bond being a cut and dry hero is likely gone. The idea of Bond having a dark side, layers to his portrayal is what a lot of actors want from playing the part now. I'm pretty sure the likes Aidan Turner doesn't want the role to play it like Rog or Pierce played it.

The idea of who can and who wants to play this role shifted when Craig made a huge success of his take on the character.

Anyone saying he didn't is just bitter and letting their own judgement cloud the fact that Daniel has been the biggest hit since Connery to play Bond.

I agree they'll likely move away from how intense, personal and psychological it has been with Craig but we are very unlikely to all of sudden get the 21st Century SWLM with an actor playing the character like Roger did.

I also think they might this time want as much from the actor as they can get, so someone hitting their 40's come time to start is likely to be ruled out.

Also I really don't think you'll be getting another film in 3 years time, more like 4 - 5 years.

I agree with @Denbigh it is more than likely to be someone not popping up in all of these polls which is likely to rule out the favourites touted on here.

Cavill for one hasn't a cat in hell's chance.

Just because the majority of the previous 20 films were like this why does that make some think they'll revert back to that.

Also some of you seem to forget who is the boss and how much she nurtured and trusted her first fully fledged Bond.

Do you really see her abandoning the elements that made this era so successful and before you haters start it has been very bloody successful.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Shardlake wrote: »
    While I see lightening up I don't see Barbara going for lighthearted.

This was a trait of her Father's era, she has taken Bond different places and I can see with Greg likely taking over from his Father, they won't divert significantly from that direction.

Also Bond being a cut and dry hero is likely gone. The idea of Bond having a dark side, layers to his portrayal is what a lot of actors want from playing the part now. I'm pretty sure the likes Aidan Turner doesn't want the role to play it like Rog or Pierce played it.

The idea of who can and who wants to play this role shifted when Craig made a huge success of his take on the character.

Anyone saying he didn't is just bitter and letting their own judgement cloud the fact that Daniel has been the biggest hit since Connery to play Bond.

I agree they'll likely move away from how intense, personal and psychological it has been with Craig but we are very unlikely to all of sudden get the 21st Century SWLM with an actor playing the character like Roger did.

I also think they might this time want as much from the actor as they can get, so someone hitting their 40's come time to start is likely to be ruled out.

Also I really don't think you'll be getting another film in 3 years time, more like 4 - 5 years.

I agree with @Denbigh it is more than likely to be someone not popping up in all of these polls which is likely to rule out the favourites touted on here.

Cavill for one hasn't a cat in hell's chance.

Just because the majority of the previous 20 films were like this why does that make some think they'll revert back to that.

I agree @Shardlake

Like I said before we can't expect Cavill because he has a new successful franchise on his hands with The Witcher, which is getting animation, movie and future series talk. He hasn't officially abandoned WB as Superman, so there's a possibility he could still return.

And one of the reasons I believe Craig worked so well was his ability to be 100% seen as James Bond. He wasn't tied to anything completely seperate from Bond that was hugely successful in terms of cultural impact really, until Knives Out, and even films like Layer Cake and TGWTDT, people still think of him as James Bond.

So I think they need that again. They need someone who can be completely recognised as James Bond. Now, while this would be achievable with someone like Aiden Turner, as I don't think Poldark and his role in the Hobbit put him beyond possibility, but for Cavill, it certainly does.

I just think we're gonna get someone out left field - but I also think it'll be found out pretty quickly who the next James Bond will be - not anytime soon or even in the next couple of years even, but we haven't experienced that new JB casting in this new era of journalism and media. They're gonna snatch it up a lot of quicker than has ever been before I reckon.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,526
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Listen to this, Aidan Turner is turning 37 this year which means he will be around 40 for Bond 26 casting time. That's the perfect age for Bond, especially a more youthful actor like Brosnan was. I think Turner is putting on muscle lately and he is reaching middle age, which means he will fit the role perfectly by the time their looking for the next actor. He already has the tall dark handsome qualities of Bond down, and even his harshest critics cannot deny there's alot of masculine charisma in the way he carries his roles. Bond is supposed to be dominant and very confident after all, and I think it's time that someone can deliver the finished article. Everyone is saying that want Bond to go back to being the hero is was, well I think Turner is the guy to give is that. Plus he does seem a genuine good sport in interviews, I think he would win alot of fans become the next "peoples" Bond like Moore and Brosnan. I can't wait for the process to get underway.

+1.

And use Turner to create an old fashioned Bond. One akin to the tone of early Connery and Fleming, not the 90’s lighthearted and shallow approach.

Doesn't matter how old he in fact is, or how well he can act, he was way too youthful a look to be a convincing Bond. He'll look youthful (luckily for him) for most of his life I'd imagine.
    Bond is supposed to be an older, slightly weathered 00 because he won't die.

I'll bet $1,000 to anyone on this forum he won't be cast, and give them 10/1 odds.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,318
    Listen to this, Aidan Turner is turning 37 this year which means he will be around 40 for Bond 26 casting time. That's the perfect age for Bond, especially a more youthful actor like Brosnan was. I think Turner is putting on muscle lately and he is reaching middle age, which means he will fit the role perfectly by the time their looking for the next actor. He already has the tall dark handsome qualities of Bond down, and even his harshest critics cannot deny there's alot of masculine charisma in the way he carries his roles. Bond is supposed to be dominant and very confident after all, and I think it's time that someone can deliver the finished article. Everyone is saying that want Bond to go back to being the hero is was, well I think Turner is the guy to give is that. Plus he does seem a genuine good sport in interviews, I think he would win alot of fans become the next "peoples" Bond like Moore and Brosnan. I can't wait for the process to get underway.

This, this and this and a tiny tad more of this. Also, to me it would be almost criminal not to cast Turner. The man is Bond incarnate. Come on Babs, you've done left field Bond now, please return to literary Bond.

MV5BNGRkNDFiNzQtMTdlNi00YjI1LWEwMzYtMWM5NTcwNTU5MmRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM2OTA3NTA@._V1_.jpg

+1.

And use Turner to create an old fashioned Bond. One akin to the tone of early Connery and Fleming, not the 90’s lighthearted and shallow approach.

Doesn't matter how old he in fact is, or how well he can act, he was way too youthful a look to be a convincing Bond. He'll look youthful (luckily for him) for most of his life I'd imagine.

I'll bet $1,000 to anyone on this forum he won't be cast, and give them 10/1 odds.

I'm in. Let's do this. Looks weathered enough to me here.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

+1.

Seems someone knows something I don't
    My guy:
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    He does facial hair quite often but looks the part without it.

By far my favourite as well.

…but he's 40 now, and I guess that is to old to even be considered.

That's a good point, unfortunately. But i'd be down with Evans being cast, even if we only got 3 films from him.

Me too. In general, a three-picture deal with an actor in his 40's would be great.
    I certainly wouldn't boycott an Evans led Bond film or 3.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

+1.

I must have missed the part when Fleming wrote ‘Bond looks weathered”. Scarred and tired at times yes....but permanently weathered? Never. Also, Bond was in his 30’s when the books began and Fleming created him. So I’m confused by your statements?
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 1,661
    Aidan Turner must be in with a chance. As mentioned above, right kinda age, seems a good actor, not too famous but not too unknown, has appeared in a popular tv show. Seems to tick most boxes. And from what I've seen of him in interviews, comes over well. It helps if the next actor is media friendly. If the next Bond actor comes over like Harrison 'acts strange' Ford does in most interviews, oh boy. ;))

Come May/June when all the NTTD stuff has died down we'll be in official 'next Bond' era mode! Assuming Craig doesn't return, he said it's his last so I'm sure he won't return - it's all change. That doesn't mean Bond 26 will happen anytime soon, could be another five years before we see it (lol) but technically you could argue the search for the next James Bond actor begins this summer! Da da daaaaaaa!
  • Tough act to follow.

+1.

I must have missed the part when Fleming wrote ‘Bond looks weathered”. Scarred and tired at times yes....but permanently weathered? Never. Also, Bond was in his 30’s when the books began and Fleming created him. So I’m confused by your statements?

Eh, I suppose you’re right... he’s just not at all what I see when I read Bond or think about the character... but it could be just a personal preference thing. Personally I’d be very disappointed if they went with Turner.

+1.

+1.

Eh, I suppose you’re right... he’s just not at all what I see when I read Bond or think about the character... but it could be just a personal preference thing. Personally I’d be very disappointed if they went with Turner.

Luckily he'd prove you wrong and then some.
    edited February 2020 Posts: 7,526

+1.

+1.

Well we don’t know that, do we.

Craig proved a lot of naysayers wrong, though, so anything can happen.

+1.

+1.

Well we don’t know that, do we.

Craig proved a lot of naysayers wrong, though, so anything can happen.

You would see.
    See what?

This is a very silly discussion, I only put forward my opinion on who should/could be a Bond actor, I’ll move on from this Turner fan club.
    See what?

This is a very silly discussion, I only put forward my opinion on who should/could be a Bond actor, I’ll move on from this Turner fan club.

Good bye.
    If he doesn't get the role the Turner fan club are going to look very foolish.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Foolish? Hardly. What a ridiculous, condescending comment.

More like: their loss. We're only the messengers. If Babs has the same common sense Cubby had then Turner would be a given.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Here's a new name suggestion (I don't recall him being mentioned before, let's put it that way) ...
    Ed Skrein.
    British, tall, decent actor, looks good. Any thoughts?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I can see it; he actually looks like a more dangerous Nicholas Hoult, who has also been mentioned.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Here's a new name suggestion (I don't recall him being mentioned before, let's put it that way) ...
    Ed Skrein.
    British, tall, decent actor, looks good. Any thoughts?

Like Hoult not the Bond type. Not to me anyway. Looks like a henchman tbf.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    No, definitely not @cwl007. He is very bland actor imo, not a bad actor, just not very exciting. He seems like B-movie casting. This is who Michael Bay would cast as James Bond I think.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Foolish? Hardly. What a ridiculous, condescending comment.

Why is it?

Some of us are sick of hearing how Lord Almighty Turner is the chosen one, the heir apparent.

The almost arrogance of his disciples that no one else is suitable Jerzy Bonbon is no better with his If Babs has any sense he is the man.

He is a given, how utterly absurd.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Oh cmon guys, its all good fun to speculate. If there are more than just a few guys who'd like Turner as Bond, I wouldn't call that a cult and say that they are his disciples, it just means that more than a few see the same thing and are rallying up for it. No harm in that, right? Be cool.

Then again, this is the exact response that comes right after Turner gets mentioned. Now for the other usual suspects and then @Pierce2Daniel will throw in a black actor and that'll get a response, then we'll talk about PC and stuff, and we'll come back to Turner. It's just the way this thread goes, really :-D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I agree he has the look, and could probably deliver the acting chops. I'm just not convinced he could carry the franchise for a good run.

Also, I think I imagine him in a more faithful televised retelling of Fleming's stories, as opposed to a modern-Bond who represents the world today/whenever Bond 26 is made.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Bond and the actor who plays him don't have to represent the world today. Daniel Craig sure as hell doesn't and never did, not in 2006 and not now. Bond is old school. The world changes, but Commander Bond does not. That's the whole point, isn't it?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Univex wrote: »
    Bond and the actor who plays him don't have to represent the world today. Daniel Craig sure as hell doesn't and never did, not in 2006 and not now. Bond is old school. The world changes, but Commander Bond does not. That's the whole point, isn't it?
    I meant more in terms of the tone and Bond's duality. While Daniel Craig sure as hell was still the old school Bond, he still brought that brutishness and roughness which was popular during 2006 and so on...

...and this is what I mean, I think Aiden is better suited to something that represents the classic Bond to fullist which in my eyes would be faithful period adaptations of the novels, and at this point could only be done through television in my opinon.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I meant more in terms of the tone and Bond's duality. While Daniel Craig sure as hell was still the old school Bond, he still brought that brutishness and roughness which was popular during 2006 and so on...

...and this is what I mean, I think Aiden is better suited to something that represents the classic Bond to fullist which in my eyes would be faithful period adaptations of the novels, and at this point could only be done through television in my opinon.

Not a bad idea actually, to go full on TV, with a massive budget that is. It'd make for good TV. However I'm not entirely sure Bond and the concept of Bond would lend themselves for such storytelling. I reckon a more classical approach to the future Bond films, going back to the basic elements, would be interesting as well. I find Aidan somewhat of a chameleon, he'd fit in in the modern day and age as well, but not in the style of Craig's tenure. That ends with Craig and rightfully so.

In all honesty I'd donate my left nut to 'save a chipmunk fund' in return for period Bond 60s style. If only...