Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Benny wrote: »
    If Turner thinks he has the gig, then I have a feeling he's delirious. No actor has been confirmed or guaranteed before an existing actors tenure is complete.
    With NTTD still to hit theatres, Daniel Craig is still James Bond. And will be till he and EON confirm he isn't. It's still possible that Craig could return for Bond 26. Even if NTTD is being billed as Craig's last Bond film. Nothing is for sure.
    Whilst Turner is possibly on the list for Bond 26, he's going to have to wait for a while yet.

I meant I think Babs has promised him the gig to take over from Daniel after NTTD. It's Daniel's last. In other words I am putting all my money on Turner and not only because I think he's the most suitable. We will indeed have to wait quite a while, but it'll be worth it.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    suavejmf wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Genuine question to forum members across the pond. What was the reception in the states to Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent being played by Brits? Did it cause any ripples at all?

Absolutely nobody cares. The large majority of people didn't even realize Christian Bale was British back when those movies came out, and I think a lot of people probably still don't. To us, him being British is more of a trivial fact you'd have to learn on the internet or something, since most Americans have never seen Bale in a role with a British accent.

American isn't considered an ethnicity at all, so nobody would ever say anything like "Batman needs to have American blood." To us, the only thing that really separates Christian Bale and an American is the accent. And British actors seem to have no problem at all speaking in an American accent. (While it seems virtually impossible for American male actors to speak in a perfect British accent, on the other hand.)

There also seems to exist this certain pride with Brits where you don't want your culture overran by Americans and things becoming "Americanized". This dynamic just doesn't really exist the other way around. Nobody over here would ever be concerned that the British are going to overtake Batman for instance.

Not one American actor in film history has successfully pulled off an English accent. Period.

That's not strictly true. I forget the name of the program, but I caught an episode of a series where Jon Hamm portrayed an older version of Daniel Radcliffe's character, and he absolutely nailed an English accent.

Also John Lithgow was excellent as Winston Churchill in The Crown.

That being said, I would never wish to see an American as Bond.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    suavejmf wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    I look at it differently @Benny. Considering Aidan Turner is probably the least well known to US audiences in the Top 10, he's still in a favourable position on that poll, considering once-hot-favourite Fassbender is only placed 2 above him. It's still a deridable list with the likes of Karen Gillan, Lily James and Jessica Brown Findlay all making the top 25.

Their round-up comment on Turner is worth reading: He's got what it takes to handle the action scenes and smolder on screen, and though he isn't as well-known to Americans, he's one of the leading contenders to play the next 007.

Well, neither was Craig well-known to Americans before his Bond casting, especially if you compare his profile to that of Brosnan's.

For me, it's still between Turner or Cavill.

Both sensible and viable suggestions.

Agree on this. Cavill and Turner are the obvious choices.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,043
    If Turner thinks he has the gig, then I have a feeling he's delirious. No actor has been confirmed or guaranteed before an existing actors tenure is complete.
    With NTTD still to hit theatres, Daniel Craig is still James Bond. And will be till he and EON confirm he isn't. It's still possible that Craig could return for Bond 26. Even if NTTD is being billed as Craig's last Bond film. Nothing is for sure.
    Whilst Turner is possibly on the list for Bond 26, he's going to have to wait for a while yet.

I meant I think Babs has promised him the gig to take over from Daniel after NTTD. It's Daniel's last. In other words I am putting all my money on Turner and not only because I think he's the most suitable. We will indeed have to wait quite a while, but it'll be worth it.

You Turner fans take wishful thinking to new levels, what a complete load of bollocks.

I'm pretty sure they haven't locked anyone down for the role yet.

Desperation or what?

It's not to say he won't be Bond but thinking he has the role already, you set yourself up for ridicule.
    Barbara hasn't even begun to think about another actor. And we'll have to wait a looonnnng time until Bond26 comes out. It's like mourning, you know? It's a process.

All of said candidates will be too old by the time they start to think about it seriously.

You see, NTTD will make a lot of money. A lot. They'll feel no need to come back in a hurry.

So, I wish what @JeremyBondon said was true. But I know that we have a long wait ahead of us. If you thought 5 or so years were torture, be prepared to suffer.

Unless...Craig changes his mind after NTTD is critically acclaimed and makes a ton of money, and comes back for Bond26.
    I wonder how long the gap will be between NTTD and Bond 26. Four years, six, eight?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rotten Tomatoes poll...
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/who-should-be-the-next-james-bond-vote-in-our-poll-now/

Surprised to see a few names on here. Ewan McGregor for example.
    And why oh why is Idris Elba constantly so high on these?
    Obviously all to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Aidan Turner pretty low. His limited presence in the US market could be an issue when it comes to casting.
    Still a long way till the next Bond is picked though, maybe some food for thought going forward.
    Don’t know much about Sam Heughan, though he doesn’t look bad, and at least he’s a tall chap.

Of all those names, I think only Hardy, Fassbender and McGregor would be a fit.
    I wonder how long the gap will be between NTTD and Bond 26. Four years, six, eight?

Around 6 is my bet. Could be more.

BTW, I'm sick of all the usual suspects proposed to be Bond. So I'd rather wait, say, a decade, and have a 40 something Bond take up the mantle and do solo, non continuous films, two years or three apart from each other.

But that's just me. They'll probably choose a 30 something new gen PC pleaser guy that will make us miss Craig like hell.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,312
    Univex wrote: »

BTW, I'm sick of all the usual suspects proposed to be Bond. So I'd rather wait, say, a decade, and have a 40 something Bond take up the mantle and do solo, non continuous films, two years or three apart from each other.

But that's just me. They'll probably choose a 30 something new gen PC pleaser guy that will make us miss Craig like hell.

It would be a really bad casting for me to miss Craig like hell… :-P

I wouldn't be surprised if we're in for a long wait until the role is recast – then another year or so before the first film of the new era. Like you, my bet would be a six-year gap, but it wouldn't surprise me if it takes even longer.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677

I wouldn't be surprised if we're in for a long wait until the role is recast – then another year or so before the first film of the new era. Like you, my bet would be a six-year gap, but it wouldn't surprise me if it takes even longer.

Yep, that's exactly my bet.

Hey, Craig is not my fav Bond by far, so I get what you mean, but these have such good films of a brilliant new era, that I have to say that for me he's Bond, he has earned it with blood and sweat and top notch acting for most of the time. And I like the guy, his tastes and efforts are second to none. That being said, I'm very much afraid of their next choice. So much so, that I'd prefer Craig to do another one. The way the market and people and general are today, today's values and agendas make me very afraid of what's to come. I'll be very surprised if they choose an almost canonical, Flemingesque actor to play Bond again. I guess we'll have to wait (a lot) and see.

And another thing. My favourite Bond actor is Connery, but I can only stand him as Bond in 4 of his films. Next comes Dalton, and I only like one of his two efforts. Lazenby did the best Bond film, but I have no love for him. Brosnan went downhill after his first. I like Moore because he's Moore. Now Daniel, I can't say I hate one of his films. They all have their merits. And although he still doesn't look like Bond to me, he dressed the best, has brilliant presence and charisma, and understands what Bond is all about. I guess the only thing that's still a detractor for me is his Blonde hair (hey, I'm shallow that way). That aside, he very much is Bond, and a brilliant one at that.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 17,312

Yep, that's exactly my bet.

Hey, Craig is not my fav Bond by far, so I get what you mean, but these have such good films of a brilliant new era, that I have to say that for me he's Bond, he has earned it with blood and sweat and top notch acting for most of the time. And I like the guy, his tastes and efforts are second to none. That being said, I'm very much afraid of their next choice. So much so, that I'd prefer Craig to do another one. The way the market and people and general are today, today's values and agendas make me very afraid of what's to come. I'll be very surprised if they choose an almost canonical, Flemingesque actor to play Bond again. I guess we'll have to wait (a lot) and see.

And another thing. My favourite Bond actor is Connery, but I can only stand him as Bond in 4 of his films. Next comes Dalton, and I only like one of his two efforts. Lazenby did the best Bond film, but I have no love for him. Brosnan went downhill after his first. I like Moore because he's Moore. Now Daniel, I can't say I hate one of his films. They all have their merits. And although he still doesn't look like Bond to me, he dressed the best, has brilliant presence and charisma, and understands what Bond is all about. I guess the only thing that's still a detractor for me is his Blonde hair (hey, I'm shallow that way). That aside, he very much is Bond, and a brilliant one at that.

I'm of the opposite opinion when it comes to Craig and his films (and not the guy – he looks like a guy you'd want to have beers with) – I haven't really enjoyed any of his film to the full, so I'm actually very curious about what comes next. I think I prefer that uncertainty of how the next actor will be over Craig doing another one.

That being said, I'm not very optimistic about what kind of actor they will pick. I definitely want an actor that very much looks the part (as in closer in looks to Brosnan for example, than Craig), an actor that's also taller than Craig, and one that will give me that "Bond feeling" again. I haven't had that since 2002. But few actors in the right age group would make me excited. There are some with potential, but it's not like they'll be the right choice necessary.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,318
    @Shardlake
    You're on my ignore list, shartlake
    Fyi https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shart

@Univex and agree with @Torgeirtrap
    I certainly hope they get their sh*t together sooner than that. I like Craig in general as an actor but he still isn't Bond to me. What Connery had in spades, not to forget Moore and Brosnan to a degree, is wit and charisma, in a British type of way. Especially Connery. This to me is what Bond sets apart from other 'action heroes'. Craig just doesn't have it. Looks and personality wise he resembles a Russian KGB agent much more to me and for that reason I am longing for a new actor, stat. Craig had his run and didn't even really bother in Spectre anymore. Collecting checks it seems and huge ones at that. I want fresh blood, hungry and eager to 'be Bond'.
    Enter Turner. The man has the acting chops, the face/body, wit, charisma, the voice and... The mystery. Also not very known worldwide. Ymmv.
    Since Cubby last produced in 1989, the productivity has been cut in half.

If the quantity continues to diminish at the rate they're going, it would take approximately 30 years from now just to get 4 more films counting NTTD.

I'm calculating around 2028 for B26, 2039 for B27 and finally 2049 for B28.
  • Univex wrote: »

I agree. As much as I would have liked to see a movie coincide with the 60th anniversary of the series in 2022, given all that has been said previously, maybe 2027 would be the most likely release year, this time to celebrate the 65th anniversary. As long as a hiatus of seven years is, this break could be thought of as necessary to allow audiences to forget the Craig era and to play on a marketing argument as this anniversary could be.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Since Cubby last produced in 1989, the productivity has been cut in half.

If the quantity continues to diminish at the rate they're going, it would take approximately 30 years from now just to get 4 more films counting NTTD.

I'm calculating around 2028 for B26, 2039 for B27 and finally 2049 for B28.

God bless that man (Cubby). Legend.
    Well, times were different. So were people.
    But we're in good hands with Babs and co., I believe.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    @Shardlake
    You're on my ignore list, shartlake
    Fyi https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shart

@Univex and agree with @Torgeirtrap
    I certainly hope they get their sh*t together sooner than that. I like Craig in general as an actor but he still isn't Bond to me. What Connery had in spades, not to forget Moore and Brosnan to a degree, is wit and charisma, in a British type of way. Especially Connery. This to me is what Bond sets apart from other 'action heroes'. Craig just doesn't have it. Looks and personality wise he resembles a Russian KGB agent much more to me and for that reason I am longing for a new actor, stat. Craig had his run and didn't even really bother in Spectre anymore. Collecting checks it seems and huge ones at that. I want fresh blood, hungry and eager to 'be Bond'.
    Enter Turner. The man has the acting chops, the face/body, wit, charisma, the voice and... The mystery. Also not very known worldwide. Ymmv.

I'm utterly gutted Jerzy Bonbon
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Guys, do try to get along. This is all fun and games ain't it?
    Guys, do try to get along. This is all fun and games ain't it?

7390ee0d-a3f5-43e4-81d4-25a744ab3773_text.gif
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It is time to chill. To think that Barbara has already promised the role to another actor at this juncture is wild conjecture and not based in reality. She hasn’t offered nor promised this role to anyone. Not even close.
    peter wrote: »
    It is time to chill. To think that Barbara has already promised the role to another actor at this juncture is wild conjecture and not based in reality. She hasn’t offered nor promised this role to anyone. Not even close.

We shall see, old chap.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Turner knows he is high on the list. He does so much subtle signalling whilst refusing to address the subject whenever questioned. Its really effective campaigning. He put in his audition early with ATTWN, and now just has to continue demonstrating his eligibility througj he way he carries himself and how he dresses for big events. Masterful stuff, especially When you consider that he hasn't done much roles which are a good comparison, yet he already has much support from fans. Enough to be a frontrunner before the race has even started.
    Turner knows he is high on the list. He does so much subtle signalling whilst refusing to address the subject whenever questioned. Its really effective campaigning. He put in his audition early with ATTWN, and now just has to continue demonstrating his eligibility througj he way he carries himself and how he dresses for big events. Masterful stuff, especially When you consider that he hasn't done much roles which are a good comparison, yet he already has much support from fans. Enough to be a frontrunner before the race has even started.

@Mendes4Lyfe my forever brother in arms. I can do nothing but concur.

Guy should shave, then, and cut his hair more ofter now that Poldark is over.

I liked him in The Man who killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot. Looked Bondian enough, and acted very very well.

Just seen Layer Cake again. Must say, Craig was tiny then, so skinny, yet stylish. And I remember that the first thing who got me sold was his voice. That narration from the start. He had this deep muggy stylish voice. Turner has different voices, his Irish natural one is a bit high pitched, his english accent one is brilliantly low.

But I guess there'll be plenty of other candidates by the time they decide on Bond26. And their choice will have a lot to do with the story they'll want to tell. I doubt they know what narrative they'll want to use.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While it’s unlikely that serious work is being done on the next phase of the Bond franchise, I do believe that there have been discussions as to the future. If Daniel has made it absolutely clear that he will not be returning, then these discussions may be more involved than we know.
    Now at the moment Barbara may absolutely have no one one in mind for the role, in which case the next incarnation of Bond is more than likely to be some time off. But, if there is someone who she is really keen on, as she was with Daniel, and he is in his mid 30’s to his early 40’’s things may move more quickly. Then again, she may have someone in mind who needs a bit more time to mature, in that case, we nave another long gap between films.
    My prediction, 5 years from the release of NTTD.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    They definitely won't release in April again for the next one, so I think November 2024 is a solid guess. Turner would be 40ish by then, roughly in line with Brosnan and Dalton from GE and TLD, and five years younger than Moore in LALD.
    They definitely won't release in April again for the next one, so I think November 2024 is a solid guess. Turner would be 40ish by then, roughly in line with Brosnan and Dalton from GE and TLD, and five years younger than Moore in LALD.

Perfect age for the role, If you ask me. But we better start preparing for some shocking piece of casting, non canonical. Then, if all goes well, we'll be safely embraced by our controlled expectations ;)

I said it before and I'll say it again: while I don't think it's a good idea at all for Daniel Craig to do Bond 26, I would not be surprised if he did. In which case any of the potential Bond actors mention in this thread and elsewhere would be history, suggestions to be put in the same baskets as Robbie Williams or Mel Gibson as potential Bond actors.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I said it before and I'll say it again: while I don't think it's a good idea at all for Daniel Craig to do Bond 26, I would not be surprised if he did. In which case any of the potential Bond actors mention in this thread and elsewhere would be history, suggestions to be put in the same baskets as Robbie Williams or Mel Gibson as potential Bond actors.

Please no more Craig after this.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'd throw Clive Owen in there as well.
    I wouldn't mind Craig back for another.
    However it would probably shoehorn a personal/emotional story arc that picks up from the events of NTTD.

Craig is several years older than me.
    At this rate, by the time the next Bond is cast, I'll be old enough to be his grandfather.