Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes It's Neil Connery's world, we're just living in it.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 6,845
    Hayden Christensen.

-Vesper, I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like you.
    -Bond, you're a bloody idiot.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Anyone can name one single actor who can haveca convincing natural British accent?

A natural British actor.

Sorry I meant American actor.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Hayden Christensen.
    Just imagining this clown delivering the CR beach scene dialogue (which perhaps should be a test for future Bond actors) is making me deeply uncomfortable.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Seeing that Jag commercial again makes me absolutely shure Hiddleston is no Bond material. Not even close. Hemsworth is far more intresting, but can he do a British accent?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,373
    Seeing that Jag commercial again makes me absolutely shure Hiddleston is no Bond material. Not even close. Hemsworth is far more intresting, but can he do a British accent?

Watching the same commercial(s) made me think Mark Strong (with a wig) could have been a strong candidate. Had he only been a bit younger. Could still be a fantastic villain, though – or even M?

Really unsure about Hemsworth. Think he's done well in the few roles I've seen him in, but I don't think he has that commanding voice needed for Bond. Am i crazy to think that? Compare Hemsworth's voice from the trailer posted above with Strong's voice from the commercial on the previous page. Who would you think delivers the «Bond… James Bond» line best?

Same goes for most name we're discussing here, though. Few of them have that Bond presence in looks, or the tone of their voice.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Seeing that Jag commercial again makes me absolutely shure Hiddleston is no Bond material.
    You shouldn't really use that ad as a basis for how he will play Bond because he's not projecting that here (despite the fancy car and dinner jacket). Rather, he is caricaturing components of Bond, a Bond villain and his famed Loki persona in that ad. Watch High-Rise to see what he could bring. He's far more versatile and chameleon like than some think (like Hardy).
    I think it's absolutely necessary that a Bond actor be British, or at the very least from Australia or Ireland, which are culturally close enough. Bond is first and foremost a hero for the British people, and casting an American for the role would be an insult (I say that as an American). It would be an unwelcome sign of American cultural imperialism, which we already have enough of. Britishness is the most primary component of Bond's identity. No matter how good an American actor's accent might be, it doesn't make him British.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondjames wrote: »
    Seeing that Jag commercial again makes me absolutely shure Hiddleston is no Bond material.
    You shouldn't really use that ad as a basis for how he will play Bond because he's not projecting that here (despite the fancy car and dinner jacket). Rather, he is caricaturing components of Bond, a Bond villain and his famed Loki persona in that ad. Watch High-Rise to see what he could bring. He's far more versatile and chameleon like than some think (like Hardy).

Well it isn't the acting I'm doubting, but his presence and voice that make him unsuiteable for the role. He just misses the rough edge.
    bondjames wrote: »

Well it isn't the acting I'm doubting, but his presence and voice that make him unsuiteable for the role. He just misses the rough edge.
    Oh, then I partially agree. I personally think his voice, presence, physique and height are perfect but he doesn't have the rough edge. Having said that, perhaps we've seen just a bit too much of that lately (at least that's my opinion).
    Did Sir Roger have a rough edge ?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    His eyebrow. ;)
    Roger-Moore.png
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :-D I like to think of Bond as a gentlemen.
    Hence why Roger was so damn good.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Roger did have a rough edge. Many times it was evidenced in The Saint and his first two Bonds, particularly TMWTGG.
    I think many still want Bond to be Bourne !
    Even though Bourne is a spent force. Yet
    Eon's Bond ( with all the mistakes that some on here love to point out ) goes from strength to strength.
    What's the most successful British film ever made ? You know I think It's an eon Bond film.
    Fancy that. The same team that gets regularly criticised for bad decisions actually seem to know what their doing :-D
    I surely don't. I want Bond to deviate as much from the Matt Damon Bourne films and Christopher Nolan Batman films as possible.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I surely don't. I want Bond to deviate as much from the Matt Damon Bourne films and Christopher Nolan Batman films as possible.

+1
    In the Mission Impossible Thread. Many are already saying eon will have to up their game. So criticising Bond 25 before a single frame has been shot :-D one person actually posted that you should invest your money in MI not Bond ! As they're the future or something along those lines.
    Thank God the producers pay little attention to forums, and their fickle fans.
    M:I is all about Tom Cruise and his crazed stunts. I still little life in it after Cruise retires Ethan Hunt.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    M:I is all about Tom Cruise and his crazed stunts. I still little life in it after Cruise retires Ethan Hunt.

They might have a chance continuing if another A list hollywood celebrity, lets say Will Smith, suddenly decides to risk his life on some movie stunts :))
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I still want Michael Fassbender into the team, being the next "man with the million faces", the biological lovechild of both Rollin Hand (Martin Laundau) and Cinnamon Carter (Barbara Bain), playing the character in a Bondian manner the way Hand was in the first season episode, "Odds on Evil".
    Once Cruise goes MI will burn out as the Bourne films have.
    You can only take those kind of films so far.

Bond however.....
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Anyone can name one single actor who can haveca convincing natural British accent?

A natural British actor.

Exactly.
    Roger did have a rough edge. Many times it was evidenced in The Saint and his first two Bonds, particularly TMWTGG.
    I agree. One doesn't have to be built like a night club bouncer in order to have the killer edge though. It's necessary for Bond however, and the best actors can bring that with a flick of an eyebrow or a stare.
    I tend to agree and would suggest that they have become too close to both over the past decade or so. This is the reason I personally believe a shakeup in approach is required over there, with a new confident and consistent vision for the character going forward. Kicking the can down the road for one more film isn't my preferred option.
    Hiddleston definitely can have a rough edge. He's not showing it yet, but he does have a death stare, which can be calculated as part of the rough edge template. One instant is the part in the first episode of The Night Manager when he looks at Hugh Laurie's folks with hatred and caution at the same time behind his reception post.
    True. One of Craig's best scenes in CR is when he witnesses Vesper in the shower. Another one is in the PTS with Dryden. Roger Moore and Sean Connery did that many times in their films in their own way, and so did Dalton (although he arguably didn't need to because his visage was intimidating enough). That is a key requirement for a good Bond actor in my mind. Understated subtlety, with an innate ability to convey tons with just with a look.
    Brosnan had that look of hatred in DAD, at least, when Miranda revealed herself to him next to Gustav.

I couldn't agree more.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why cannot an amoeba be Bond?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wouldn't fit in the suits.