Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    I still think that if Nolan comes on board,Hardy will come with him.

Which I would be fine with
    Risico007 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I still think that if Nolan comes on board,Hardy will come with him.

Which I would be fine with

Same here ;)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hardy is not my #1 choice by a long shot, but he is a terrific actor, and I have no doubt if given the part he will do it justice despite being vertically challenged. He can do anything he wants to.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hardy is not my #1 choice by a long shot, but he is a terrific actor, and I have no doubt if given the part he will do it justice despite being vertically challenged. He can do anything he wants to.

He's far from my first choice but I'll give him an undeniable malleability. If someone had told me that the guy playing the villain in Star Trek Nemesis would one day play Bane I'd have laughed in his face. As for playing Bond I remain open to the idea but think he might be too short and maybe too old.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's pretty much where I stand too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    There's no doubt that Hardy could do a solid job; my preference would be someone a bit less established.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I have to say that Ransom trailer does not particularly impress me.

It looks boring.
    talos7 wrote: »
    There's no doubt that Hardy could do a solid job; my preference would be someone a bit less established.

And taller.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Hardy would be great. But I do have reservations about his ability to come across as a charmer, ability to woo women.

"Should Tom Hardy Be the Next James Bond?"

• edited June 2017 Posts: 6,601
    That's what I doubt as well and would be fine with it. :)
    But if it would be so, that little Layer Cake film had then two future Bonds in it.
    I like Hardy for the role and I support him but I will point out he is 3rd (behind a 5th craig film and Fassbender) in my ranking but if he was cast tomorrow I would be over joyed because

A) We have movement on Bond 25 finally
    B) Hardy would bring Fun without being too camp.
    Fassbender, Hiddles or Hardy for me, in that order.
    Tom Hardy would be great if .........BOND 25 were actually in the works. I think I might have posted a similar post a year ago regarding one of the other contenders. Point being- it's a year later and we're still getting "who will be the next James Bond" articles even though there has been very little known movement on B25.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Tom Hardy would be great if .........BOND 25 were actually in the works. I think I might have posted a similar post a year ago regarding one of the other contenders. Point being- it's a year later and we're still getting "who will be the next James Bond" articles even though there has been very little known movement on B25.

Tom Hardy would be great IF he wasn't 5ft 8 and thus far too short for the role. Below 5ft 10 is totally and utterly unacceptable.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Why are we using 5ft 10 as the criteria? Bond is supposed to be of above average height (especially given when the books were written, when people were generally shorter) and not someone who is average. As I said on an earlier thread, once we open up the floodgates, then anything goes.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,661
    I don't mind the height that much. Sure, it looks better if the actor is tall but it's the overall vibe the actor gives out that is more important. I don't think every short actor should be ruled out just because of their shorter height. Daniel Craig isn't that tall (his actual height is one of the great mysteries of the franchise!). He may not even be 5f 10 and he's made four films! I wonder of any people on the forum have met Craig in real life? Perhaps they could confirm his height?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I stood a few feet away from him at the SF premiere and he's definitely no taller than 5"11.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Without taking the time to see if his name has come up already, I would add Sam Claflin's name to the list of candidates.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It has come up, and we shot it down.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 4,554
    It has come up, and we shot it down.

Well, he did say, "I've seen every Bond" in You Before Me...and there was also that Bond homage home video in that film. LOL
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I don't mind the height that much. Sure, it looks better if the actor is tall but it's the overall vibe the actor gives out that is more important. I don't think every short actor should be ruled out just because of their shorter height. Daniel Craig isn't that tall (his actual height is one of the great mysteries of the franchise!). He may not even be 5f 10 and he's made four films! I wonder of any people on the forum have met Craig in real life? Perhaps they could confirm his height?

He's about 5'11" / 6'. Same height as me.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Isn't he (Clafin) currently starring with Mrs. Craig in some film? If so, she could perhaps put in a good word, if she thinks he's suitable for the job.
    Craig is 5'10....at the most, possibly a bit shorter. There are several scenes in his films where his height is apparent; the "Bodyworks" sequence in CR being one. The most telling is in QoS when he and Olga are walking in the Desert. She is 5'9 and barefooted; he is in shoes and is just a bit taller. Remove his shoes and they would be just about eye to eye.

I agree that an actor in the 6 '+ range is preferable, but if someone somewhat shorter is otherwise perfect for the role, there are many ways to adjust for a lack of height; trust me Craig has benefited from all of them.
    Craig is 5'10....at the most, possibly a bit shorter. There are several scenes in his films where his height is apparent; the "Bodyworks" sequence in CR being one. The most telling is in QoS when he and Olga are walking in the Desert. She is 5'9 and barefooted; he is in shoes and is just a bit taller. Remove his shoes and they would be just about eye to eye.

I agree that an actor in the 6 '+ range is preferable, but if someone somewhat shorter is otherwise perfect for the role, there are many ways to adjust for a lack of height; trust me Craig has benefited from all of them.

I've never had any problems with Craig's height. Nor have I've seen it commented upon other than on the forum. As for Olga Kurylenko's height, I only see that as an "asset" for a great Bond girl! :-)

If an actor with Hardy's height get cast, I wouldn't think twice about it. There are ways to make an actor seem taller. As long as the end result is good, I'll be happy.
    Oh I don't have any issue with her height and only mention it as a point of reference.
    Taller would be more preferable next time. The film trickery is getting a bit tiresome for me to be honest.
    Taller would be more preferable next time. The film trickery is getting a bit tiresome for me to be honest.

Even as a man a couple of inches under 6' I agree. ;)

• edited June 2017 Posts: 17,291
    Oh I don't have any issue with her height and only mention it as a point of reference.
    Read it as a point of reference too; my comment could probably have been written differently!
    Isn't he (Clafin) currently starring with Mrs. Craig in some film? If so, she could perhaps put in a good word, if she thinks he's suitable for the job.

Yes: My Cousin Rachel, directed by...Roger Michell, who directed DC in The Mother and Enduring Love.
    Why are we using 5ft 10 as the criteria? Bond is supposed to be of above average height (especially given when the books were written, when people were generally shorter) and not someone who is average. As I said on an earlier thread, once we open up the floodgates, then anything goes.

Fleming had Bond at 6ft and 5ft 10 is the average for a British male. As such that's why I used this criteria. For me Craigs height has never been an issue on screen as he is just above UK average height. Tom Hardy is unfortunately vertically challenged and a 5ft 8 stature is totally unacceptable for the Bond role.