Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not to mention his face screams the total opposite of Bond.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,661
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I stood a few feet away from him at the SF premiere and he's definitely no taller than 5"11.

Thanks for the reply!

Craig's shorter height isn't a big deal to the general public. I don't think it's an issue with casual Bond fans.
    I agree that an actor in the 6 '+ range is preferable, but if someone somewhat shorter is otherwise perfect for the role, there are many ways to adjust for a lack of height; trust me Craig has benefited from all of them.

I think hardcore fans posting on forums like us want certain things from a Bond actor - height would seem fairly important - but I doubt most movie goers care. You can think this is a good or bad thing but we have to accept average movie goers are not as obsessed about Bond's appearance as we are.

Regarding Tom Hardy's height - he is noticeably shorter than his Mad Max co-star Charlize Theron:

03hardy-theron.jpg

I guess she is wearing high heels, perhaps. If a shorter actor were cast, EON might not want to cast a taller actress. I suppose some fans might complain if Bond looks a lot shorter than his Bond girl!
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,241
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I stood a few feet away from him at the SF premiere and he's definitely no taller than 5"11.

Thanks for the reply!

Craig's shorter height isn't a big deal to the general public. I don't think it's an issue with casual Bond fans.

Don't think the general public care, or are even aware of the height of movie stars (unless commented upon). Stallone isn't particularly tall, apparently, but he doesn't look short on screen.
    I feel sorry for Tom Hardy. Not only is he a bit on the short side he has to hang around with women like this....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hBncEYmeI9w/maxresdefault.jpg

Tough job being a successful short actor!

:P

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Interesting that out of those seven beauties, five are noticably taller than him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The height's not a problem if the actor has charisma. Stallone, Cruise, Gibson etc. have proven that.

Having said that, James Bond should be played by a taller actor. We had 44 years of that being the case in film (until Craig came along) and that is the way it should ideally remain, at least from my perspective.
    How tall is Fassbender
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Go to Google and type in Fassbender hei. Before you even finish completing typing in the word height it gives you the answer.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 9,730
    6 feet fantastic so he will be a great 007
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Tom Hardy would be great if .........BOND 25 were actually in the works. I think I might have posted a similar post a year ago regarding one of the other contenders. Point being- it's a year later and we're still getting "who will be the next James Bond" articles even though there has been very little known movement on B25.

As things are going it will be the case of many names mentioned here.
    Fassbender is marginally taller than Craig:
    ZgfBQjv.jpg

Hiddles is quite a bit taller than Craig:
    6895XxA.jpg
    Well if height is the main criteria, let's hire Prince William!

:P
    Well he definitely has the height. Here he is (on the left) with Hardy

VRvtsCf.jpg
    When I watched Fury Road I didn't notice Hardy's height. It wasn't anything I saw and I never thought "he's too small to be a hero!" Mel Gibson - the original and best Mad Max - is a bit on the shorter side too.
    Yes, I agree it doesn't always matter. However, I do notice it more with Craig in the Bond films, because there's inevitably more shots of Bond standing toe to toe with either a woman, M or an adversary in the films (unlike in MM-FR). Moreover, I just think suits look better on a taller chap (although one needs the shoulders for it too). There will be less need for questionable tailoring choices in order to make someone look taller or less bulky too. There is a reason why my favourite outfits of Craig's in the films are when he's dressed casually as opposed to formally.
    But we all agree, that the QOS suit was perfect. So it's possible, nothing Tod I with height just with stupid taste afterwards
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »

VRvtsCf.jpg

VRvtsCf.jpg

Unfortunately he is not very handsome and bald.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that an actor in the 6 '+ range is preferable, but if someone somewhat shorter is otherwise perfect for the role, there are many ways to adjust for a lack of height; trust me Craig has benefited from all of them.

I think hardcore fans posting on forums like us want certain things from a Bond actor - height would seem fairly important - but I doubt most movie goers care. You can think this is a good or bad thing but we have to accept average movie goers are not as obsessed about Bond's appearance as we are.

Regarding Tom Hardy's height - he is noticeably shorter than his Mad Max co-star Charlize Theron:

03hardy-theron.jpg

I guess she is wearing high heels, perhaps. If a shorter actor were cast, EON might not want to cast a taller actress. I suppose some fans might complain if Bond looks a lot shorter than his Bond girl!

Warwick Davis.
    I actually never noticed that Tom Hardy is a dwarf in the movies.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

It's why he always accents so aloof.

It's why he always accents so aloof.

Is he also very fond of gold and gems?
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,081
    Read the last few weeks of this thread. So, it's still mostly about the same chaps - Fassbender, Hardy, Hiddleston, and, um, Turner. Oh and Charlie Hunnam. Clive Owen revisited, memories of past. Elba and Jamie Bell name checked, probably not seriously. A couple of guys I probably haven't seen in anything also got mentioned, can't comment on them at all, but good to see new names mentioned anyway.

Are people like Fassbender and Hardy really thought to be realistically possible? Or just talked about to keep warm? I can't tell. Not too old, or too established/famous? And does it not matter anymore if actors are attached to another franchise - even at the same time? Still possible? Hmm.

IF it was, well... I like Hardy a lot more in general and am still kinda unsure what I think about Fassbender. But I wouldn't want Hardy as Bond, I like his as Max Rockatansky, and in interesting little movies and tv stuff, thank you. I'm also not sure how happy he'd actually be doing all that being Bond would entail - really long shoots away from home, the amount of promotional work and commercials, and the tabloid stuff, too. I really think he'd be better off without that. Well, probably anyone would, really, but some people might actually enjoy it some more and maybe handle it better. Or he might surprise me as well. Hiddleston might even be happy to do all the late night talk shows and other extra performance stuff (though I might not like to see him enjoying that, if that makes sense... it can get sort of... tacky), he does it anyway (Hardy does not).

Somebody mentioned Nolan+Hardy combo, and it's interesting to note that that particular combo seems to work very smoothly. While Hardy has had some issues with some actors and also with a few directors (and doesn't mind saying so), I've never heard of any problems on Nolan films. Hardy clearly works with him happily and well, and respects him a ton - and says that, too. It fits: Nolan knows what he wants, there's clear structure and clear expectations, he's calm, he keeps everything in control while respecting the actors. As far as I can tell Hardy needs a certain kind of director and working environment or problems may arise. Btw, I'm not blaming him, for most part. (Apart from repeatedly keeping other people waiting for him on MMFR, that was bad.) The idea that everyone should get along with everyone they work with is kinda silly, and stuff tends to get exaggerated, so it's often hard to fairly evaluate various... problems. (I can imagine certain people and situations would get on my nerves, too.)

I can see Fassbender as Bond (both on screen and off) much better than Hardy. I'm not sure I necessarily like him (maybe I'll learn to someday), but that's not a problem for me. (I mean, I can't say I like Connery, but I think he's a great Bond.) He fits the bill and is a good actor, so. I can't quite see Hiddleston as Bond, though he can be an interesting actor in some roles - as well as sort of irritating and too self-conscious at times, too (both when acting and otherwise).

Turner... from the little I've seen, hell no. I can't say I remember him even being in The Hobbit - nor anything else from that movie for that matter. I suppose it's unfair to judge actors based just on tedious soap opera like Poldark, but really... He's still a clear lead there, and has tons of screen time and lines and practically constant drama, and... eh. Charlie Hunnam seems like a nice enough chap from the little that I've seen, and he can be mildly charming, but he's kinda bland.

Luke Evans? As above, I don't remember a darned thing from The Hobbit (except that I was very bored). And he was also in High-Rise? Okay, that movie was a somewhat interesting mess and I don't remember what his role was. So, can't comment.

I assume commenting on Idris Elba or Jamie Bell, again, is unnecessary - people jest, right?

And then there were some names I didn't recognize, and I'd need to see people act, photographs are not enough. And some familiar names I'm sure that I just don't remember now - except Bale got a mention for some reason, but that would never happen now, and it was already too late for that even at the time Craig was cast - and I'm glad he was, btw. (Bale got called Welsh as well somewhere upthread weeks ago, and again: he isn't, but English - not that it matters here or there in this context).

There was somebody else (or a couple of guys) I wanted to say something about, but not gonna go back to find the name(s).

So, I guess no actual viable candidates at this point. Who knows when we'll get to that time anyway (could be soonish or could be years from now), and it's likely we haven't even thought of the guy, yet.

Oh and, for me height isn't an issue. Movie magic works fine regarding that. Leading men don't need to be tall. Didn't need to be decades ago, and even more can be done fooling audiences nowadays. I get what people who mention it mean, and I suppose somewhat tall would be preferable, everything else being equal, but it's not an actually important, deciding factor at all. Humphrey Bogart wasn't tall - did it matter? (So Casablanca was ruined because Ingrid Bergman was actually taller than Bogart?) People who watch movies don't normally care, and never have. What people care about is what they see on the screen.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I can see Fassbender as Bond (both on screen and off) much better than Hardy. I'm not sure I necessarily like him (maybe I'll learn to someday), but that's not a problem for me. (I mean, I can't say I like Connery, but I think he's a great Bond.) He fits the bill and is a good actor, so. I can't quite see Hiddleston as Bond, though he can be an interesting actor in some roles - as well as sort of irritating and too self-conscious at times, too (both when acting and otherwise).
    Fassbender seems to be the one most (myself included) think could nail Bond. He gives off Bondian vibes in most of his roles naturally.

As to your question about whether he or Hardy are realistic possibilities, I don't think anyone knows at this point. With the distribution deal being worked out, I suppose anyone who wants it has as much of a shot at it as the next guy, depending on EON & MGM's vision for the character. I know Hardy has expressed interest, as has Hiddleston. I don't know about Fassbender.
    Turner... from the little I've seen, hell no. I can't say I remember him even being in The Hobbit - nor anything else from that movie for that matter. I suppose it's unfair to judge actors based just on tedious soap opera like Poldark, but really... He's still a clear lead there, and has tons of screen time and lines and practically constant drama, and... eh.
    This seems to be the prevailing point of view among many members, although there are a few strong advocates for him here too. I'm somewhat ambivalent. I saw him in that Christie adaptation recently and think he has potential, but just am not sure if he could be likable enough.
    I can't quite see Hiddleston as Bond, though he can be an interesting actor in some roles - as well as sort of irritating and too self-conscious at times, too (both when acting and otherwise)
    Luke Evans? As above, I don't remember a darned thing from The Hobbit (except that I was very bored). And he was also in High-Rise? Okay, that movie was a somewhat interesting mess and I don't remember what his role was. So, can't comment.
    I'm a big Hiddleston proponent, and High-Rise was one of the films (along with The Night Manager of course) that demonstrated his bona fides for me. However, I can see how he may not be everyone's cup of tea and sadly Babs reportedly thinks he's too smug and not tough enough for the role (reminds me of her reported but unconfirmed comments of 'feyness' about Jackman in 2005).
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Fassbender is marginally taller than Craig:
    ZgfBQjv.jpg

Hiddles is quite a bit taller than Craig:
    6895XxA.jpg

Bravo, I really like your scientific approach to the height problem!
    suavejmf wrote: »

VRvtsCf.jpg

VRvtsCf.jpg

Unfortunately he is not very handsome and bald.

Blofeld then? I am kidding of course, but for some it seems that the baldness is for Blofeld what the tuxedo is for Bond: THE casting argument.
    Regarding Fassbender - he ruled himself out of the role:
    Asked whether he would sign up as Bond, the Irish-German star said: "To be honest, no."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/11/02/michael-fassbender-rejects-playing-007-and-suggests-a-jane-bond/

So if he did get the part it wouldn't be unreasonable for an interviewer to question why he changed his mind*. I think we should forget all the stuff he said about Jane Bond. Nothing to see there, move along, move along!

*Daniel Craig turned down the role but changed his mind so anything is possible.
    I'm sure if he was actually offered the role,Fassbender would accept it.
    Fassbender in period Bond. Awesome.
    Any thoughts on Harry Lloyd? I've only seen him on Season 1 of GoT. He has an edge.

33 & 5ft 11.

Ok9jSFm.jpg
    Ciye6y8.png
    This is the only Harold Lloyd I know,and this one is a true legend to me,brought me many happy times in my childhood on BBC2 :

haroldlloyd_apt_678x230_042920130305.jpg