Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

The very term "pretty boy actor" makes me go ewwww. I've never even heard of this Sam person, and... well, I don't judge actors based on just pics (I need to see them actually act in something to get an idea if I like them or not), so no comment (but if I did my comment wouldn't be complimentary). People find different things (looks-wise and otherwise) attractive, so a certain type of look or something doesn't work "as an incentive" in general even if it did for some individuals. What I mean is that choosing an actor for a major part like a lead role based on his looks is, in my opinion, a really bad idea. Even if some might be interested in that particular look, those who wouldn't be, would have nothing to be interested in. (I mean... I can't imagine ever being anything but bored looking at Henry Cavill, for instance - and yes, I realize some people think he's really attractive, and are therefore happy to just look at him.)

I don't see much point in trying to make friends see movies they're not interested in watching. Telling them you really enjoy something and maybe elaborating on the reasons is one thing, or recommending something to somebody whose tastes you think it would fit. But if they're still not interested, then why bother pushing it? I would hate it if anyone did that to me. I like what I like, my friends like what they like, often we watch very different stuff, and it's not a problem in any way. I understand wanting to share stuff with friends, but one doesn't have to have similar tastes in everything, and different tastes can be rewarding, too.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    AceHole wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is a criminally underrated actor. Easily up there with Bale, Hardy, Crowe

This is true, but of those four, only Crowe could have been a good Bond.

I think Bale would have been excellent. Dark, edgey, Daltonesque maybe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is a criminally underrated actor. Easily up there with Bale, Hardy, Crowe

Craig has been excellent, but I truly believe Bale as Bond would have been exceptional. One of the great losses. At least the Bat benefited.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Agreed. I have thought that ever since watching American Psycho.
    Agreed. Me too, coincidentally.
    And American Psycho was what made Nolan want to work with him. (I'm sure Wally Pfister's good word was helpful, too.) Thank goodness for that movie - and it nearly didn't happen.

I'm sure I would have loved Bale as Bond, but I suspect he was better off without it, and therefore I'm relieved he's where he is instead of where Craig is. (I feel kinda bad for Craig as an actor atm, however silly that may sound, but you know what I mean.)

It's actually interesting to think how much the Bond actor can affect what the movies are like and where the franchise is going. I mean, without Craig, there also wouldn't have been Mendes, and therefore not Logan, nor Newman, etc. We'd have different stories, different directors, composers, actors, writers, etc. Without Craig we wouldn't have Skyfall or Spectre, we'd have something else. Casting the next guy may mean a hell of a lot more than just who plays Bond...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is a fantastic actor, but he isn't Bond. Too unusual looking.

You mean too metrosexual.

They cast Brosnan, so why not? Cast Enrique Iglesias while you are at it. Or John James.

The name is James, err...John Doe James.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Well, Enrique Iglesias is about to turn 41, so no... And, um... John James? I had to look that one up, never heard the name. 60, so definitely no. Otherwise excellent ideas, of course. Ehem. :P
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Whenever I hear the name Enrique Iglesias I am immediately reminded of that '911 anthem' song "Hero". I hated that thing with a passion. Almost as much as other 'classic' schmaltz such as "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney or the grand poobah of them all, "My Heart Will Go On" from Celine.

Of course I'm biased because growing up my dad used to have Julio whining in the car audio and my sister and I used to have to endure it.
    I guess I'm glad not to be familiar with "Hero". Those other two are horrendous though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mickey Mouse would make an excellent Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    Whenever I hear the name Enrique Iglesias I am immediately reminded of that '911 anthem' song "Hero". I hated that thing with a passion. Almost as much as other 'classic' schmaltz such as "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney or the grand poobah of them all, "My Heart Will Go On" from Celine.

Of course I'm biased because growing up my dad used to have Julio whining in the car audio and my sister and I used to have to endure it.

Next Bond torture sequence idea.

Kinda like "would you rather have your balls bashed with a carpet beater ..or listen to Let It Be from Frozen? ..."

"wait.. wait! I'm thinking... hmmm" "so how many hits exactly??"
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Justin Bieber

Just wait until Disney buys Bond. Selena Gomez will be Moneypenny.
    To throw in some nostalgia they'll cast Daniel Craig as Pa Bond à la The Force Awakens, Bieberbond will sadly kill Pa Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @BondJasonBond006 what is it with you and Disney?
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,081
    A childhood trauma of some sort, perhaps?
    Justin Bieber

Just wait until Disney buys Bond. Selena Gomez will be Moneypenny.
    To throw in some nostalgia they'll cast Daniel Craig as Pa Bond à la The Force Awakens, Bieberbond will sadly kill Pa Bond.

But this was funny nevertheless. :))

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It was meant funny :)

I'm just making fun of TFA. I really found it so hilariously bad.
    Of course as can be seen by audience reactions TFA is a success with them. Good for Disney. Meanwhile I stick to Star Wars Rebels which is a gazillion times better than TFA.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    It was meant funny :)

I'm just making fun of TFA. I really found it so hilariously bad.
    Of course as can be seen by audience reactions TFA is a success with them. Good for Disney. Meanwhile I stick to Star Wars Rebels which is a gazillion times better than TFA.

I didn't like TFA either. Acting was horrible even the Brits took it down a notch.

Ok the leading lady was memorable and second in line to be my wife behind the lady of MI:RN but the rest eh.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is a fantastic actor, but he isn't Bond. Too unusual looking.

You mean too metrosexual.

They cast Brosnan, so why not? Cast Enrique Iglesias while you are at it. Or John James.

The name is James, err...John Doe James.

Brosnan, although an extremely good looking chap, has something weirdly effeminate about him. Never bought him as a Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Craig has been excellent, but I truly believe Bale as Bond would have been exceptional. One of the great losses. At least the Bat benefited.

Agreed on both accounts.

Strange. Bale never struck me as Bond. Too obvious a choice maybe?
    I wonder if Bale wouldn't have been too serious a Bond. If some of us think Dalton in LTK was dark and grim (looking at the box office, apparently the public at the time judged him too heavy - certainly after the Moore-era), I imagine Bale going even one step further.
    I wonder if Bale wouldn't have been too serious a Bond. If some of us think Dalton in LTK was dark and grim (looking at the box office, apparently the public at the time judged him too heavy - certainly after the Moore-era), I imagine Bale going even one step further.
    Bale can be intense, but he also does relaxed cool very well too imho. His scenes as Wayne with the ladies and with Lucius Fox/Alfred have a certain irony/sublime smoothness to them which I didn't see from Dalton.

I particularly like his first confrontation with Catwoman in TDKR up on the top floor of Wayne Mansion. Vintage Bale at his best, radiating quiet intensity even when all disheveled and bearded up.
    @bondjames I stand corrected. You're right, I had forgotten some of those scenes - it's been a while since I saw any of the Batman-trilogy.

However, I think Dalton did irony quite well. His remark on the shopping list in TLD, for example. And in his first confrontation with Franz (another Franz!) in LTK. But they were spare moments - Dalton clearly wanted to take Bond in another direction after seven Roger Bonds.

No. I don't think he'd have done Bond "too serious" at all. Of course he could have gone that "one step further" if for some reason asked to do so, but I suspect that wouldn't have been the kind of Bond he'd have particularly wanted to do. He's a very playful person, so it seems logical he wouldn't have wanted to ignore playfulness in Bond.

Bale can be intense, but he also does relaxed cool very well too imho. His scenes as Wayne with the ladies and with Lucius Fox/Alfred have a certain irony/sublime smoothness to them which I didn't see from Dalton.

I particularly like his first confrontation with Catwoman in TDKR up on the top floor of Wayne Mansion. Vintage Bale at his best, radiating quiet intensity even when all disheveled and bearded up.

Yes. He can do as serious, or indeed as silly as needed - the roles in the two David O. Russell directed movies give some indications of the latter, and it's even more obvious off screen. (I live in hope that he'd do more obviously comedic stuff every now and then.) - "Relaxed cool" is a nice expression, btw, and I agree with you on that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bale's Patrick Bateman is a role that cemented his performance knows no bounds. Hell he could have been the perfect and a better joker than he was batman.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bale's Patrick Bateman is a role that cemented his performance knows no bounds. Hell he could have been the perfect and a better joker than he was batman.

In an alternate universe I would like to see what Bale could have done in 'Wolf of Wall Street' instead of Dicaprio.
    I have to admit I love the guy. Brilliant actor.

I wish he'd do something in the spy genre (my favourite).

As usual, you have such excellent taste. ;) (Btw, if you haven't seen his dp30 interview - the Out Of The Furnace one - may I take this opportunity to recommend it... if you're even remotely interested it's a good one about acting.)

The spy genre... hmm... I hadn't even thought about that, but my first follow-up thought upon reading your suggestion was "David Fincher, maybe?" There was mutual interest to work together not that long ago (which surprised me a little bit actually, since Fincher is known for wanting to do about a million takes ) so I hope they will, on something, at some point. A spy story might be a good fit.
    Thanks @Tuulia, I will take a look at that dp30 interview.

Doesn't he have a Terence Malick film called Weightless in the works? Great cast in that one including a lot of Bond alums and potentials but not sure when it's coming out. It's been delayed a couple of times.

Paul Crocker in Queen&Country?