Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Coming back to the topic at hand, I think Sam Claflin might be a good option as the next 007. He has the looks, the right age, has shown the necessary gravitas in previous roles, but I'm not sure on the tongue in cheek-aspect. And on the plus side, he isn't an A-listed actor yet - I doubt any A-listed actor would want to "burn" himself on a very defining role like James Bond. So far, only Sean Connery has been able to shake of 007 and develop memorable post-007 screen characters, and even that took some time after his last outing as 007. And none of the Bond-actors to date had A-list movie careers prior to being asked for the part.

For that reason, I think Henry Cavill is definitely out. As a Bond-producer, I wouldn't consider an actor who had already played Superman in several movies - it can only harm the Bond-persona.

By the way, I think Daniel Day-Lewis would have made a very good 007 in the eighties and nineties (especially after seeing him in "The Age of Innocence", more suave, and "Last of the Mohicans", more physical). But he probably never would have considered it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Coming back to the topic at hand, I think Sam Claflin might be a good option as the next 007. He has the looks, the right age, has shown the necessary gravitas in previous roles, but I'm not sure on the tongue in cheek-aspect. And on the plus side, he isn't an A-listed actor yet.
    He definitely has a look that fits Bond. I've seen him in Hunger Games only. Charismatic but I don't know enough about him.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Im also perfectly fine with Sam Clafin
    He has the boyish good looks we all loved in Pierce and im sure he can get some muscles to be belivable enough in action.

About DDL yes in his prime he would have been an interesting Bond but i don't think he would be interested. I think he would have looked Bond beneath him and not challenging enough.

In my Opinion DDL is the best actor alive so good that sometimes i forget he is very handsome as well but then i remember the age of Innocence and The last of the Mohicans and remeber how he made me swoon.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    9ba0b7e47bd05a5d850ec9f4a9040bbd.jpg
    in-time-cillian-murphy-time-officer-official-gun-review.jpg
    fd19bfd256d1f61e1d53e2bbbcdc5eef.jpg

For the sake of discussion.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    9ba0b7e47bd05a5d850ec9f4a9040bbd.jpg
    in-time-cillian-murphy-time-officer-official-gun-review.jpg
    fd19bfd256d1f61e1d53e2bbbcdc5eef.jpg

For the sake of discussion.

Is that Sam Clafin?
    In the first and third picture looks great but the second doesn't convince me much

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's Cillian Murphy.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Murdock wrote: »
    That's Cillian Murphy.

Ohh then no, he is too creepy for Bond. I just can't take off my mind hos evil guys in Batman begins and Red eye.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Cillian Murphy is a criminally underrated actor. Easily up there with Bale, Hardy, Crowe
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    AceHole wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy is a criminally underrated actor. Easily up there with Bale, Hardy, Crowe

Totally agree. I first truly discovered him in 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley', and he blew me away.

Yes, Cillian Murphy is a fantastic actor. Along with those other chaps you mentioned I'll watch anything he's in. - Oh and I'm onto the 2nd season of Peaky Blinders now, btw. He's the reason I even started to watch that, I barely ever watch any tv series.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Cillian Murphy is a fantastic actor, but he isn't Bond. Too unusual looking.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/128180170746/26-actors-who-could-be-the-next-james-bond/photo-luke-evans-the-welsh-beefcake-1455540431001.html.

Tom Hiddleston & Luke Evans are the most viable suggestions on this list. It contains the usual other laughable suggestions.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The Scarecrow as Bond =))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

This is true, but of those four, only Crowe could have been a good Bond.
    The Scarecrow as Bond =))

I dunno, scarecrows looks rather dapper and sophisticated!

scarecrow.jpg

\:D/
    Szonana wrote: »
    Is that Sam Clafin?
    In the first and third picture looks great but the second doesn't convince me much

That was indeed Cillian Murphy, but this is Sam Claflin, a very good contender to be the next Bond. Stars in "Snow White and the Huntsman", "The Huntsman" and "Pirates: On Stranger Tides".

As for Tom Hiddleston, I'm sorry, but I don't see him as Bond. He doesn't strike me as a plausible ladies killer.

sam-claflin-body.jpg?w=162&h=2961623099691-sam-claflin-british-academy-film-awards-2014-press-room-01.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another horrible suggestion.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    His performance in Red Eye is also worth mentioning. But agreed, not Bond. As a villain? Maybe.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Is that Sam Clafin?

That was indeed Cillian Murphy, but this is Sam Claflin, a very good contender to be the next Bond. Stars in "Snow White and the Huntsman", "The Huntsman" and "Pirates: On Stranger Tides".

As for Tom Hiddleston, I'm sorry, but I don't see him as Bond. He doesn't strike me as a plausible ladies killer.

sam-claflin-body.jpg?w=162&h=2961623099691-sam-claflin-british-academy-film-awards-2014-press-room-01.jpg

Yeees im more convinced every day abut Sam.
    He is definitely a ladies killer and so belivable that girls would go crazy over him. He could bring The Hunger Games girls and similar into Bond and bringing the ladies would help bond a lot

• RC7RC7
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Is that Sam Clafin?

He is definitely a ladies killer and so belivable that girls would go crazy over him. He could bring The Hunger Games girls and similar into Bond and bringing the ladies would help bond a lot

Why do we need to 'bring the Hunger games girls' into the franchise? I'm sick of all these nonsensical ideas that seem to revolve around box office and widening Bond's appeal. People know what Bond is, if they don't want it, sod them.

I wouldn't be opposed to Cillian Murphey he wouldn't be my first choice though
    RC7 wrote: »
    Why do we need to 'bring the Hunger games girls' into the franchise? I'm sick of all these nonsensical ideas that seem to revolve around box office and widening Bond's appeal. People know what Bond is, if they don't want it, sod them.

I agree with you: Bond should stay Bond. That being said, for such a long running and expensive franchise, box office results are crucial. I don't think the franchise would survive for long, were it to lose money on a few movies in a row.

I think that DAF, TSWLM and MR show that, in the past, the producers weren't too shy to diverge somewhat from the classic Bond-line in order to score at the box-office.

But again, I agree with you that Bond is a strong enough brand on its own. Regardless of bringing Hunger Games hordes with him - or not - I think Sam Caldfil is a good option. I actually haven't seen him in Hunger Games, but he was rather good in "Snow White & the Huntsman".
    I'll give this Sam chap the benefit of the doubt. Hunger Games of course shouldn't be seen as the audition for Bond, but if he can do the job and increase the fan base, I'm not against him.
    suavejmf wrote: »

You mean too metrosexual.

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    RC7 wrote: »
    Is that Sam Clafin?

Well not only the HungerGames Fan girls but it would be nice if Bond coukd get more women in general.
    Maybe I should admit it's for selfish reasons that i want someone who could appeal to the female crowd because ive tried to convince my friends to watch Bond but non of them care for that and i think any obviously handsome actor could convince them to watch the franchise.

Ok my bad for being too specific on the Hunger Games fan girls but I definitely would love to see an actor that will appeal physically to the females thats the only way I could convince my girls to watch a bond flick and they all like pretty boys.

Maybe I should admit it's for selfish reasons that i want someone who could appeal to the female crowd because ive tried to convince my friends to watch Bond but non of them care for that and i think any obviously handsome actor could convince them to watch the franchise.
    I'm curious. Why don't your friends like Bond? This is heresy surely? Is it Craig's looks that are turning them off, the violence, or something else?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm curious. Why don't your friends like Bond? This is heresy surely? Is it Craig's looks that are turning them off, the violence, or something else?

Its half amd half

To a few them is the violence and they are not much into action, but one of them likes the hunger games and divergent crazy isn't it ?
    To this few its just their taste so girly. Like most of their movies are chick flicks snd Disney

but to others is that they don't find Craig attractive. One of my girls says shr used to like Bond but she sshe stopped watching them since Craig got the part since he is not sexy or good looking like Bond is supposed to be.

At the end i got my companion to Spectre but i wished it would be easier to make them go seing the Bond flicks and a pretty boy actor would be an incentive.

edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883

Its half amd half

To a few them is the violence and they are not much into action, but one of them likes the hunger games and divergent crazy isn't it ?
    To this few its just their taste so girly. Like most of their movies are chick flicks snd Disney

but to others is that they don't find Craig attractive. One of my girls says shr used to like Bond but she sshe stopped watching them since Craig got the part since he is not sexy or good looking like Bond is supposed to be.

At the end i got my companion to Spectre but i wished it would be easier to make them go seing the Bond flicks and a pretty boy actor would be an incentive.
    I see. It's interesting about Bond. Given it's such a long running franchise with so many changes of actors (and even tone of the films) over that time, I can appreciate how certain 'eras' may not be for everyone, unless they are 'die hards' like us lot who pretty much go for everything. I can see some people 'tuning out' during certain actor's runs.
    Going on a limb here, but just like there are "chick" films, I think Bond is considered "macho" cinema. I'm taking a risk, but I think it's safe to say that generally speaking, women are less attracted by fighting scenes, explosions, car chases ... Case in point, my girlfriend is by no means a fan of action movies. However, she does like the Brosnan and Craig Bonds. For me it shows that Bond offers something more than other action heroes: ever more strong female characters, panache, glamour, exotic qualities and yes ... good looks. That is of course, if you give it a shot and are willing to check it out. She is less inclined to check out the Connery and Moore movies, presumably because women in those movies are merely part of the decor.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

Its half amd half

I see. It's interesting about Bond. Given it's such a long running franchise with so many changes of actors (and even tone of the films) over that time, I can appreciate how certain 'eras' may not be for everyone, unless they are 'die hards' like us lot who pretty much go for everything. I can see some people 'tuning out' during certain actor's runs.

I agree with you and wished my friends could understand that and the ones who haven't tried the franchise would take a look back to the old films and see that Bond could be for everyone and there is a Bond flick they might love but i just can't get them into it.

I think a new Bond is my greatest hope to make them like it after all i never watched a Bond movie Before die another day and because i loved Pierce and really enjoyed the movie i kept going with the next ones and ive said it many times how that film made Bond a most see in theaters.

So i think my greatest hope is not taking them back to the old films but wait till a new Bond actor comes in.

And the ones who are not huge fans but liked the previous Bond flicks before they might go back in with an actor they like better.
    Anyway at the end as you said only the true fans accept all the Bond eras with shift tones and different genres.