Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    This is like discussing Adam Sandler playing Bond.
    LOL. Except one is far more superior than the other.

True. Waltz vs. Sandler would be a treat.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is like discussing Adam Sandler playing Bond.
    LOL. Except one is far more superior than the other.

True. Waltz vs. Sandler would be a treat.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Christian Bale (41 years old) could still do it, after all Pierce was 42 in Goldeneye.

Bale will be 42 in 2 weeks as well!

Seriously, though, I don't think he could, or would even want to.

If you mean entirely theoretically, then sure he could.

But no.

dinovelvet wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    gumbolt wrote: »
    Jackman or Pratt? For the love of fuck - no!
    I think Aaron Taylor Johnson is a dark horse.
    Aaron Taylor Johnson? I had the misfortune of seeing this block of wood in Godzilla and couldn't believe the lack of charisma I was witnessing. Thinking of him leads my thoughts directly to your colourful expression above re: the other two.

Agreed. Bland actor with a bland face.

Gee, what's going on here today, all the usual suspects being thrown back in to the mix? Jackman, Bale, Cavill, etc. Somebody mention Fassbender and Hardy so we can have a never-gonna-happen Bond actors bingo!

Oh.
    Right.
    Fassbender? Hardy? What do you think? :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Well I don't think EoN is actively casting right now BUT surely somewhere in this world there is a tall dark white British actor under 50 with charisma and who has taken at least one acting class.

Oh and I left out the actor should be a guy. Bond is not a woman. He is not bi despite Logan's and Mendes's dream and agenda to give Bond that history.

Sorry not trying to offend anybody. I'm certainly not homophobic nor racist. I've had my history. I just prefer the character stay as close to Fleming as possible ...imperfections and all.

Acting class? See @dominicgreene, Bale is ineligible.

Cavill gets ruled out for lacking charisma.

Jackman, Fassbender and Hardy still in the, um, bingo... :P

Guess you haven't seen The Man From Uncle then. Charisma is exactly what Cavill has in bucket loads. That's why he is now a movie star. Bale won't get the nod, but being 42 wouldn't be a barrier to him as he looks much younger ( e.g. Fassbender looks older than him).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes Cavill did quite well in TMFU. I'm still not sold though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Cavill is a movie star?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Cavill is a movie star?

Yes he's been lead in at least three or four bombs ..so technically no one knows lol
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Cavill is a movie star?

Yes he's been lead in at least three or four bombs ..so technically no one knows lol

Bombs? Which films? Superman, TMFU, Immortals all made money. Hence, why he keeps getting more work.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't care for Cavill, but yes, he's hardly been in three or four "bombs," so he manages to get work still, unfortunately. I believe he graduated from Wooden Academy alongside Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    Cavill may fit the Brosnan mould and be selected as a safe, neutral bet after the un-toppable DC casting triumph - laughed at and then lauded. Eon cannot expect to get 2 counter-intuitive casting decisions right in a row so I think DC's successor will be a bland safety choice. So - Cavill. He's the right age, quite popular, a competent if not accomplished film actor, British, extremely conventionally handsome and seems able to handle fame. I am not saying he is my choice but I think he might get it nonetheless.
  • Henry Cavill isn't a Movie Star. He's in that nebulous group of actors who star in superhero movies where the superhero is the main attraction, and most of their other stuff doesn't do well.

He has zero chance of playing James Bond. He stars in a competing action franchise which has 3-4 more films coming up keeping him busy for 5-6 years, and just starred in a Bond wannabe that flopped.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,081
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Christian Bale (41 years old) could still do it, after all Pierce was 42 in Goldeneye.

Bale will be 42 in 2 weeks as well!

Seriously, though, I don't think he could, or would even want to.

If you mean entirely theoretically, then sure he could.

But no.

Jackman or Pratt? For the love of fuck - no!
    I think Aaron Taylor Johnson is a dark horse.
    Aaron Taylor Johnson? I had the misfortune of seeing this block of wood in Godzilla and couldn't believe the lack of charisma I was witnessing. Thinking of him leads my thoughts directly to your colourful expression above re: the other two.

Agreed. Bland actor with a bland face.

Gee, what's going on here today, all the usual suspects being thrown back in to the mix? Jackman, Bale, Cavill, etc. Somebody mention Fassbender and Hardy so we can have a never-gonna-happen Bond actors bingo!

Oh.
    Right.
    Fassbender? Hardy? What do you think? :D
    Well I don't think EoN is actively casting right now BUT surely somewhere in this world there is a tall dark white British actor under 50 with charisma and who has taken at least one acting class.

Oh and I left out the actor should be a guy. Bond is not a woman. He is not bi despite Logan's and Mendes's dream and agenda to give Bond that history.

Sorry not trying to offend anybody. I'm certainly not homophobic nor racist. I've had my history. I just prefer the character stay as close to Fleming as possible ...imperfections and all.

Acting class? See @dominicgreene, Bale is ineligible.

Cavill gets ruled out for lacking charisma.

Jackman, Fassbender and Hardy still in the, um, bingo... :P

Guess you haven't seen The Man From Uncle then. Charisma is exactly what Cavill has in bucket loads. That's why he is now a movie star. Bale won't get the nod, but being 42 wouldn't be a barrier to him as he looks much younger ( e.g. Fassbender looks older than him).

Correct, I haven't seen it. Charisma is similar to looks - people don't necessarily agree about these things. I haven't noticed charisma or indeed anything appealing about the guy. He's probably a lovely guy, and I don't have anything against him, I just don't see the appeal, and he seems utterly boring to me. It is of course entirely possible that I just haven't seen the right work or the right interviews, because I really haven't seen that much of him. It is also possible that even if I had seen that movie I'd still disagree with you.

I was totally joking about Bale, of course. I know there's no way he'd be considered, and I'm sure he himself wouldn't consider it, either. (Not anymore, that is.) I hadn't thought about the looking younger thing at all, interesting that you should say that, since I've seen other people say the opposite. But actually, yes, when he makes a bit of an effort (which isn't often) he does look pretty good (couldn't help noticing when watching the Golden Globes... also noticed Mr Ford and his wife were seated beside the Bales, and couldn't help wondering if poor Harrison had to talk about Star Wars all evening), and would look even younger if he shaved (-apparently only a movie role can separate him from his beard nowadays). And Fassbender... hmm... is it the hair/hairline, maybe?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't care for Cavill, but yes, he's hardly been in three or four "bombs," so he manages to get work still, unfortunately. I believe he graduated from Wooden Academy alongside Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney.

Yeah, I can believe that...
    Cavill may fit the Brosnan mould and be selected as a safe, neutral bet after the un-toppable DC casting triumph - laughed at and then lauded. Eon cannot expect to get 2 counter-intuitive casting decisions right in a row so I think DC's successor will be a bland safety choice. So - Cavill. He's the right age, quite popular, a competent if not accomplished film actor, British, extremely conventionally handsome and seems able to handle fame. I am not saying he is my choice but I think he might get it nonetheless.

Nah.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Henry Cavill isn't a Movie Star. He's in that nebulous group of actors who star in superhero movies where the superhero is the main attraction, and most of their other stuff doesn't do well.

He has zero chance of playing James Bond. He stars in a competing action franchise which has 3-4 more films coming up keeping him busy for 5-6 years, and just starred in a Bond wannabe that flopped.

I don't know if UNCLE will get more movies but Cavill is tied up as Superman at least until 2019; you're absolutely right, he'll never be Bond.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Man, I take a break from this thread for two months and I come back to people discussing Cavill and Jackman. I really was hoping there'd be some interesting new ideas ITT instead of flogging the same dead horses. Should be a moratorium on even mentioning any of these never gonna be Bonds.
  • Sark wrote: »
    Man, I take a break from this thread for two months and I come back to people discussing Cavill and Jackman. I really was hoping there'd be some interesting new ideas ITT instead of flogging the same dead horses. Should be a moratorium on even mentioning any of these never gonna be Bonds.

Hahaha, I did exactly the same thing and made exactly the same comment on my return. Occasionally someone throws something new in, I've tried to do the same, but it always devolves into the same 6-7 names. Maybe we should split it into two threads -

-Who could ACTUALLY be a Bond contender?

and

-Dead horse flogging thread
    I think the mods should just start issuing 3 day liberty passes (aka 3 day bans ;) ) to anyone who mentions Those Who Will not Be Named.
    I don't even need to mention names, just establish simple criteria:

Anyone who is 40+
    Anyone who isn't a British male
    Anyone 5'9"
    Anyone who is/has been the star of another major film franchise

there ya go, if someone meets any of the above criteria I will bet you at very good odds that they will not be the next Bond. Notice I'm not even including subjective criteria like "can act".

The only interesting names I've heard in awhile are

Rupert Friend (Homeland star)
    Dan Stevens (the Guest)

if someone has some genuine suggestions who don't meet the above criteria and some shows/movies I can check them out in please suggest.
    Sark wrote: »
    I think the mods should just start issuing 3 day liberty passes (aka 3 day bans ;) ) to anyone who mentions Those Who Will not Be Named.

Anyone who is 40+
    Anyone 5'9"

there ya go, if someone meets any of the above criteria I will bet you at very good odds that they will not be the next Bond. Notice I'm not even including subjective criteria like "can act".

Dan Stevens (the Guest)

if someone has some genuine suggestions who don't meet the above criteria and some shows/movies I can check them out in please suggest.

Jackman was brought back up were due to social media.

And yes they've done it before and I'm sure they will do it again but EoN has hired a 40+ actor in the role.

And this is a who "should/could" thread anyway not a who "probably" will...

Just saying :D
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I think some of the names mentioned here must have potential because we have to assume they're decent enough actors (like Craig). Cavill has the problem of being Superman which seems a huge hurdle in the way of becoming Bond. Tom Hardy seems a bit Craig-ish (wild guess on my part). I could imagine Hardy playing a Craig type Bond. Aiden Turner? Hmm, hard to know how he'd play Bond.

If Craig can please most fans then there's no reason why many or some of these names - even actors that many not strike you as natural candidates - could have potential. Craig wouldn't have been high up most fans' lists back in 2002 - 2005 but he's won over many fans. History can repeat itself with the new guy.
    Tom Hardy is 5'9" and also committed to the Mad Max franchise for the foreseeable future.

Aiden Turner at least doesn't mean any of the disqualifications I mentioned, hard to judge him from the hobbit movies.

Anyone who is 40+
    Anyone 5'9"

Dan Stevens (the Guest)

Anyone who is 40+
    Anyone who isn't a WHITE British male
    Anyone BELOW 5'10"
    @mcdonbb you are technically correct sir, the best kind of correct :D

I think we've all heard the reasons for and against all the betting favorites ad nauseam by this point, personally I'm only interested in fresh blood.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 9,774
    I am really beginning to like Hiddleston and before people through Loki in my face wasn't Daniel Craig the villain of the first tomb raider film... In a perfect world I would still go for Hardy simply because after seeing Inception I feel Hardy would be similar to Connery. And the films could be very Rogue Nationish (Fun but still dark and gritty)

But since Hardy is likely going to be too old when Craig Steps down (after two films) I will go for Hiddleston but what do I Know in the early 200's my top two choices were Ewan McGregor and Adrian Paul though when Craig was cast someone pmed me on I think IMDB saying "since your such a big Dalton fan let me promise you one thing you will love Craig" and for the first two films he was 110% right the second two of Craig's tenure while good are a bit to jokey.. Hopefully with a different director the series can go back to the Royale Solace style of Craig's fist two films.

So whoever get cast I will reserve judgment until I see the first poster/trailer. I have been shocked at hood good I liked an actor in a role before (Downey Jr as both Sherlock Holmes and as Iron Man Heath Ledger as the Joker and even Ben Affleck as Batman not saying I hated when he was cast but I thought like Kilmer it would be just ok but based on the trailers Affleck may become my favorite batman ever he looks and sounds like Conroy's Batman in the flesh) but yeah Tom Hiddleston or Tom Hardy are my choices.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am really beginning to like Hiddleston and before people through Loki in my face wasn't Daniel Craig the villain of the first tomb raider film...
    As I said somewhere else, Hiddleston is currently my #1 pick. The only thing he may lack is a little beef (weights can help) and perhaps unconventional looks (like Craig), but in the acting dept., I think he is the best possible candidate. His voice alone is enough to make him Bond in my book.

He held his own against one of the most charismatic actors in the business (Robert Downey Jr.) in The Avengers, and made Hemsworth look like a block of wood in Thor.

We will see how good he is shortly, when The Night Manager and High-Rise drop.
    hmm, I'm not big on superhero movies, but I'll have to check him out.
  • RC7RC7
    hmm, I'm not big on superhero movies, but I'll have to check him out.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    I am really beginning to like Hiddleston and before people through Loki in my face wasn't Daniel Craig the villain of the first tomb raider film...
    As I said somewhere else, Hiddleston is currently my #1 pick. The only thing he may lack is a little beef (weights can help) and perhaps unconventional looks (like Craig), but in the acting dept., I think he is the best possible candidate. His voice alone is enough to make him Bond in my book.

He held his own against one of the most charismatic actors in the business (Robert Downey Jr.) in The Avengers, and made Hemsworth look like a block of wood in Thor.

Hiddleston would be an inspired choice, but even Babs may not have the balls to pull that one off... (poor choice of words, I apologize) :>

Apart from one of the very best voices in the business he has talent & presence in spades - and would indeed only need to add some bulk, which is perfectly feasable.
    Those claiming he has no sex appeal seem to be wrong - there is a big following of 'Hiddlebitches' as they call themselves :-?
    He might well become, it would seem, the 'thinking woman's' Bond.
    I mean something that would show his potential to be James Bond.
  • RC7RC7

Joke.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

If you are talking about Hiddleston then his vocal rendition of OP/TLD on the audiobooks for BBC was spot on - he read Bond the way he was meant to be read.
    And watch 'The Night Manager', in a few weeks on BBC One, it's a Le Carré adaptation.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Night Manager in particular, and High-Rise for the brooding side, both forthcoming. Interestingly, High-Rise, like Layer Cake, stars Sienna Miller and is based on a book.

<a href=https://youtube.com/watch?v=fGas3e7p_9A target="_blank"> click here to watch a Jaguar ad featuring Tom Hiddleston on youtube</a>
    AceHole wrote: »

Hiddleston would be an inspired choice, but even Babs may not have the balls to pull that one off... (poor choice of words, I apologize) :>

Apart from one of the very best voices in the business he has talent & presence in spades - and would indeed only need to add some bulk, which is perfectly feasable.
    Those claiming he has no sex appeal seem to be wrong - there is a big following of 'Hiddlebitches' as they call themselves :-?
    He might well become, it would seem, the 'thinking woman's' Bond.

Sex appeal of any individual is never something that could be objectively measured or qualified, or something that everyone would agree on. Basically soooooo many actors are apparently attractive to somebody. Whether one can see it or not is always a personal thing. - And that's not a comment on Hiddleston, btw, just a general observation. I've seen far too little of him to have much of an opinion, but he's infinitely more interesting than someone like Cavill. (And no, I don't see Cavill as a possible option in any case.) But @bondjames, surely making Hemsworth look like a plank of wood can't be considered a major achievement? (Especially in a movie as silly as that one.) ;)