Should I really watch all of them.

Comments

I too still enjoy him and have a lot of fun with GE but I will admit that most of his films haven't held up all that well by and large (namely TND through to DAD which are all now in the lower half of my rankings).
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I too still enjoy him and have a lot of fun with GE but I will admit that most of his films haven't held up all that well by and large

Do you think? I actually don't think they hold up too badly - particularly on a production level. There are a lot of 90's actioners that have dated far worse. The first M:I, for example, looks far more dated to me than GE or TND, between which it is sandwiched.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'd rather watch the Dalton films any day of the week than any of Moore's films.

Yes, you state this in nearly every thread you post.

Perhaps, but I back it up by explaining that the Moore Bond is first about the gag, the giggle, the tickle and the laugh above all else, where the laugh should be the surprise element of the character and is done so much better by the other actors. Even the Bros tries to take the character seriously, which is the sin I take Moore to task for, simply not taking the character seriously.

No, you don't. You post spam-like comments like you did in this thread.

I'm not quite getting it when you say Moore didn't take the role seriously.
    Moore remains the most consistent Bond, perhaps along with Craig, when it comes to his performance.

Just because Roger Moore's take on the role wasn't to your liking doesn't mean he didn't take the role seriously.

I prime example of an actor who didn't take the role seriously is none other than Sean Connery, in Diamonds Are Forever.
  • pachazo wrote: »
    "AceHole wrote:
    I truly don't get what some people see in Live and let die the movie
    You sound like a real AceHole but don't worry I won't hold it against you. All kidding aside, you can't see any positives at all in the film?
    Moore at his youngest and therefore perhaps most plausible.
    A superb cast of villains headed by a really underrated performance by Yaphet Kotto.
    Jane Seymour!
    Including all of the sparkling dialogue.
    Featuring some truly outstanding stunt work.
    Let's not forget one of the best (if not the best) non-Barry scores in the entire series?
    You must give me the number of your oculist.

Don't you mean occultist? ;)
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The production values are fine, but that has almost nothing to do with my appreciation of a film. It's like special effects, they date a movie by necessity.

Sure, I'm just suggesting that the locations, stunt work, set pieces and the like all hold up pretty well. The GE model shots, most of the DAD doubling etc. do not stand the test of time, but there are some decent moments in there for me which taken in isolation are sound. But as you say, the dialogue is at times drab and at other times woeful, so I can appreciate that the other elements do not do enough to soften the blow for you.
    I'd rather watch the Dalton films any day of the week than any of Moore's films.

Yes, you state this in nearly every thread you post.

Perhaps, but I back it up by explaining that the Moore Bond is first about the gag, the giggle, the tickle and the laugh above all else, where the laugh should be the surprise element of the character and is done so much better by the other actors. Even the Bros tries to take the character seriously, which is the sin I take Moore to task for, simply not taking the character seriously.

No, you don't. You post spam-like comments like you did in this thread.

I'm not quite getting it when you say Moore didn't take the role seriously.
    Moore remains the most consistent Bond, perhaps along with Craig, when it comes to his performance.

Just because Roger Moore's take on the role wasn't to your liking doesn't mean he didn't take the role seriously.

I prime example of an actor who didn't take the role seriously is none other than Sean Connery, in Diamonds Are Forever.

I think the Diamonds Connery note is fair. Moore's take on the character was not to my liking because it was full of humor and not taking his character seriously. Daniel Craig's bond is a tough, gritty agent with a sense of humor, like Connery and Lazenby. Moore's Bond is by no means a tough guy. My opinion, yes, but his sense of tickle and giggle is the basis for his interpretation, so from the get-go that kind of self-satire permeated the Bond series until he left, with the vague exception of For Your Eyes only, the only film of his that I can sit through.

Bond's gotta be a tough guy, for me, and Moore just does not feel tough enough.

For me.
    Moore can be tough, as evidenced in multiple scenes throughout his tenure.

And I say again, he did take the role seriously.
    Gimme a fight Moore's remembered for.

Connery had the big fights with Grant and OddJob, Craig has the construction rig/stairwell fights in CR and the train top fight in Skyfall, even Lazenby has some really impressive fights in OHMSS like the hotel room fight and that awesome scene where he chokes the ski thug.

Moore pushed a guy off a cliff.
    @Birdleson, I could do with that list! I'm too lazy to type them all out.
  • RC7RC7

Connery had the big fights with Grant and OddJob, Craig has the construction rig/stairwell fights in CR and the train top fight in Skyfall, even Lazenby has some really impressive fights in OHMSS like the hotel room fight and that awesome scene where he chokes the ski thug.

Why does being 'hard' have to equate to fighting?

Yes, I think he took the role and his job very seriously. He is a professional. He could also see the absurd side of the character and often brought that to the fore, but that doesn't mean he didn't take Bond seriously. There are countless moments during Rog's run when he brings a steely hardness and sense of danger to the screen.

For me Rog's great strength is his ability to change gears so smoothly - one moment larking about or seducing the ladies, and the next instant totally convincing as Her Majesty's assassin at large. Some people dismiss him because he makes it all look so easy - for me that's the actual proof of what a star he really is.

Gawd bless him!

Getafix wrote: »

Yes, I think he took the role and his job very seriously. He is a professional. He could also see the absurd side of the character and often brought that to the fore, but that doesn't mean he didn't take Bond seriously. There are countless moments during Rog's run when he brings a steely hardness and sense of danger to the screen.

For me Rog's great strength is his ability to change gears so smoothly - one moment larking about or seducing the ladies, and the next instant totally convincing as Her Majesty's assassin at large. Some people dismiss him because he makes it all look so easy - for me that's the actual proof of what a star he really is.

Gawd bless him!

Excellently put @Getafix!

Gawd bless him!

Excellently put @Getafix!

I can't stand idly by while Sir Rog is accused of all sorts of absurd nonsense. As we both know, he's a legend. A professional and a wonderful Bond who probably brought more unadulterated entertainment to the screen than any of the other actors. I mean, for me Sean is always the best, but Rog at his best is just so damn fun to watch.
    RC7 wrote: »

Why does being 'hard' have to equate to fighting?

lol, because that's the character. Bond is a tough guy, a gentleman thug. Even Diamonds has that tough elevator fight.

Kiss kiss bang bang, not kiss kiss laugh laugh
    ...because that's the character.

2h3n3f5.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    ...because that's the character.

2h3n3f5.jpg

Quite.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, you really should watch all of the James Bond films; they all have their merits.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    If it's a first viewing, I'd advise people to skip DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, AVTAK, the Brosnan era and SF.
    I say skip TB& YOLT, DAF - AVTAK, & from GE on...

Love how 'cool demeanor' is supposed to be on par with the grant/oddjob fights.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @MayDayDiVicenzo , from memory:

LIVE AND LET DIE -
    -The solo assault on the voodoo ceremony with the nickel-plated 357 Magnum
    -His cool demeanor both times dealing with Mr. Big in his lairs in Harlem and New Orleans

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    -Threatening Lazar
    -Threatening Andrea in her hotel room (much more convincing than his similar treatment of Rosie in the previous film)
    -Dinner with Scaramanga

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    -Knocking Sandor off of the roof
    -Anya confronting him about her boyfriend's death
    -Spearing and machine-gunning Stromberg's men in the battle in the tanker
    -Defusing the bomb
    -The exception of Stromberg

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    -The shoot out in the warehouse
    -Kicking Locque's car over the cliff
    -Being pulled over the coral reef
    -Climbing the mountainside
    -Killing the guy by throwing the piton into his chest

OCTOPUSSY
    -First meeting with Octopussy
    -Confronting Orlov
    -Shooting the Soviet Soldiers
    -Killing the second twin

I imagine that I've forgotten some. I drew a blank for both MOONRAKER and A VIEW TO A KILL.

Indeed, @Birdleson! Thank you. I might add a few more to that list, but those are pretty much the ones I was thinking too.
    I do like Moore's confrontation with Zorin after finding Tibbet dead in the car.
    With respect to the thread title? Do you really need to ask? :-O
    Yes, cuz some of them are just self-parodies.

I wonder which Bonds tenure you're referring to? :-?
    The Moore films. Except for FYEO. At least they tried to be serious in that one.
    Tried.
    I'm speechless...and not with admiration.

Look DOD, Bond is an adult pulp fiction creation. It's a mesh of nonsense & real world situations perversely stylized to fit the bizarre. Self-parody is inherent in the content. Just be glad some of the films are what you like most about the series.
    In my perfect world, Connery does half the series with total enthusiasm, and Dalton does the other half.
    But I take what Bondian pleasure I can get no matter.
    It's all good.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 5,080
    The Bond series is a like a Chinese Buffet. Eat what you like, leave what you don't like, or eat it all. I'm the latter.

No need for constant Moore Bashing in every thread.

That goes for any Bonds tenure.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    No need for constant Moore Bashing in every thread.
    That goes for any Bonds tenure.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    I agree with what you state, but I think that the character at it's heart is one tough dude and in my opinion a bond that is tough makes him completely unpredictable, whereas the Moore, and to a lesser extent, Brosnan after Goldeneye, prefers style and suave over the inherent brutality that underlined the novels and early films.
    glad to see the Craig films take the same tack.
    It really does annoy me, all the Moore bashing. He did come second in the Bond elimination game, above your brilliant Craig and Dalton. But the gentleman is allowed his opinion, and I respect that, even if he does so with a strange mixture of geniality and venom.