Should I really watch all of them.

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Skip A View to a Kill?

I'd watch it for Walken's performance alone.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Even the Bond movies I like the least are still a great source of enjoyment; what I understand is that they're not your kind of movies, or maybe the first impact was not the right one - it might take some time before you actually start to like them.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Even the Bond movies I like the least are still a great source of enjoyment; what I understand is that they're not your kind of movies, or maybe the first impact was not the right one - it might take some time before you actually start to like them.

Exactly.
    This is what happened with For Your Eyes Only, the Dalton films and TWINE for me. I adore all four now.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,043
    I very much doubt I'll watch them all again, last time was just before QOS and I included the Brosnan's in that and I can't stand that era personally but that being said the last Connery and the bottom of the barrel Moore output isn't much better.

As someone who was a big advocate of Dalton from the get go after watching both his entries recently I came to the conclusion that he's a great Bond but his entries aren't, they have their moments but even times even TLD seems uneven and jars with his interpretation.

I starting to doubt LTK gritty credentials, yes it's got some gory moments and Bond swearing but the crow barring of tick the box moments underwhelm an otherwise admiral attempt to inject some Fleming back into the series after the Playboy Moore era.
    That being said I think I would return to these films if only to see Dalton's Bond.

I only recently watched the Craig films and still continue to enjoy them, QOS is better as a companion piece to CR but I wouldn't watch on it's own and I still continue to enjoy Skyfall immensely.

As for the previous entries I think I would watch again

DN
    FRWL
    GF
    TB
    YOLT (mainly for Barry's score though)
    OHMSS
    SWLM
    FYEO
    TLD
    LTK
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I'd skip... octopussy, personally the bottoming out of the franchise.

I was talking to a non-Bond fan at work today who told me he'd seen Octopussy on TV last weekend. His response? Meh it was ok. Although he said he wasn't really "on board" with Moore's Bond.

As someone who enjoys OP I was a tad disappointed but not really surprised.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Octopussy is rather high on several fans' lists, I think. For me, it is a mixed bag. But it has fun elements and some things I like a lot. I think most of my friends do like the film (not hard care Bond fans like me). For my general group whom I used to hang out with, it was AVTAK and LTK that were "meh" or left them feeling let down. but most enjoyed Octopussy, if I remember correctly.
    I've always liked Octopussy too. It's one of those "easy watch" ones. Not one of the real greats but accessible entertainment.

Would it be one I'd call a "must see" though? Probably not to be honest.

Funnily enough my colleague also said he saw adverts for a few of the Connery ones and commented "he's so much better".

I've thought about this and I think I've realised why Moore's Bond doesn't work for some - he's too "likeable". In todays climate of Daniel Craig, being likeable doesn't really cut it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OP, when it's not going for a gag, is superb IMHO.
    Having recently listened to the short story for the first time I do like the link the film makes.
    I'd rather watch the Dalton films any day of the week than any of Moore's films.
    I'd rather watch the Dalton films any day of the week than any of Moore's films.
    Total agreement! :)>-
    Dalts rulz!
    As much as I enjoy the Moore films I'd say TSWLM is the only one that's a "must see" for new fans.

I'm tempted to put FYEO in there too as it shows Moore at his most serious, but ultimately I think Spy just has too many iconic elements to ignore (the PTS, Carly Simon, Jaws, Atlantis etc)
  • RikRik Southend
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Total agreement! :)>-
    Dalts rulz!

Dalton is Bond. End of.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,727
    "DAF-TMWTGG made me realize i might have started something a little harder than i thought. Besides LALD the movies are awful"

:D I know. I always advise anyone who hasn't seen 'em all to skip DAF-LALD-TMWGG. The early 70's were quite simply the PITS for cinematic Bond.
    I truly don't get what some people see in Live and let die the movie - read the book instead.
    The film's alright but the book is indeed much better (despite its racist chapters).
    I love all of the Bond movies some better than the others. I even love all the Bond actors and the slight variations they brought to the role, from Sean Connery to Daniel Craig. I love most of all that the formula never varies.

Yes, you state this in nearly every thread you post.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The beauty of the series is watching how it evolves and changes with the times. You can almost sense the thought patterns of the producers as they tweak the films and try to second guess their audience.

This is what makes the series fun - hindsight! Knowing now what they did wrong back then. The bad Bond films weren't meant to be bad, they just got stuff wrong. They are still to be admired in some capacity.

Bond films remain a work in progress. Embrace them all, good and bad.
    NicNac wrote: »
    The beauty of the series is watching how it evolves and changes with the times. You can almost sense the thought patterns of the producers as they tweak the films and try to second guess their audience.

This is what makes the series fun - hindsight! Knowing now what they did wrong back then. The bad Bond films weren't meant to be bad, they just got stuff wrong. They are still to be admired in some capacity.

Bond films remain a work in progress. Embrace them all, good and bad.

Couldn't have put it better.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    "AceHole wrote:
    I truly don't get what some people see in Live and let die the movie
    You sound like a real AceHole but don't worry I won't hold it against you. All kidding aside, you can't see any positives at all in the film?
    Moore at his youngest and therefore perhaps most plausible.
    A superb cast of villains headed by a really underrated performance by Yaphet Kotto.
    Jane Seymour!
    Including all of the sparkling dialogue.
    Featuring some truly outstanding stunt work.
    Let's not forget one of the best (if not the best) non-Barry scores in the entire series?
    You must give me the number of your oculist.
    NicNac wrote: »
    The beauty of the series is watching how it evolves and changes with the times.

Yes, that is a large part of my enjoyment of it!
    It's strange isn't it. If there are any of the films I would skip, it would be the Dalton ones. Just pure, boring drivel in my opinion. I always skip QOS as well as it isn't actually a Bond film, much like I would never watch CR 67 or NSNA in a Bond Marathon.
    Sammm04 wrote: »
    It's strange isn't it. If there are any of the films I would skip, it would be the Dalton ones.
    I agree with you; that is strange...
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just watch all of the damned films! I can't even believe this is an issue on this site.

Exactly.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,727
    pachazo wrote: »
    "AceHole wrote:
    I truly don't get what some people see in Live and let die the movie
    You sound like a real AceHole but don't worry I won't hold it against you. All kidding aside, you can't see any positives at all in the film?
    Moore at his youngest and therefore perhaps most plausible.
    A superb cast of villains headed by a really underrated performance by Yaphet Kotto.
    Jane Seymour!
    Including all of the sparkling dialogue.
    Featuring some truly outstanding stunt work.
    Let's not forget one of the best (if not the best) non-Barry scores in the entire series?
    You must give me the number of your oculist.

Just doesn't do it for me. It's too tacky and plodding. Even Jane Seymour and the good score don't redeem it...
    Having said that it's a darn sight better than DAF or TMWTGG, but don't get me started on those

8-|
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Just watch all of the damned films! I can't even believe this is an issue on this site.

Exactly !
    If it's a first viewing, I'd advise people to skip DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, AVTAK, the Brosnan era and SF.

But ultimately they're all worth at least one watch, apart from the Brosnan ones - don't even bother. In my mind it wasn't a six year stoppage between LTK and GE, it was a 17 year one between LTK and CR. Seen this way the average quality is much higher.

Yes, you state this in nearly every thread you post.

Perhaps, but I back it up by explaining that the Moore Bond is first about the gag, the giggle, the tickle and the laugh above all else, where the laugh should be the surprise element of the character and is done so much better by the other actors. Even the Bros tries to take the character seriously, which is the sin I take Moore to task for, simply not taking the character seriously.
    The Brosnan run if anything features Gottfried John and Geoffrey Palmer amongst the cast. Can't say that about the other films ;)

I'll admit the films are flawed but I too am glad they exist. Personally I think GE through to TWINE are better than several other entries.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'll admit the films are flawed but I too am glad they exist.

As far as the production levels are concerned I don't actually think they are any more flawed than a large amount of the canon. The one criticism that I think is applicable across the board with the Brosnan era is that his films can be seen as following a greatest hits template, rather than doing anything that could be perceived as risky or forward thinking.

They clearly didn't feel like they were in a position to break from expectation, as happened in '06, and I find that completely understandable. That's not to excuse the fact they seemed happy to adhere to the template, but in amongst the contrivances I believe there are genuine moments that stand up against the rest of the series and I think the era contributes more than its fair share to the wider image of the cinematic 007.

To sum it up, I don't know a single band for whom their 'greatest hits' is my favourite album. Bringing together everything that seemingly defines a band into one record doesn't quite have the same appeal as a standalone album, defined by its time, by its cultural and emotional resonance - that's the Brosnan era for me. Too many boxes to be ticked and not enough genuine invention or desire to think outside those boxes. A little more restraint regards implementing the tried and tested and a more courageous appetite for change and the films would have benefitted. As it is, I'm pretty confident that was never going to happen. Plus, I still get a kick out of seeing Brosnan as Bond.