SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

According to our friends from the Italian Club, the next stop is in Via degli Scialoja, near the Tiber.

Do you know how long it took to film the pts car chase from QOS @marketto007 ? I am very curious, because I really think the SPECTRE-car chase turns out like quite a big, long car chase?

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    According to our friends from the Italian Club, the next stop is in Via degli Scialoja, near the Tiber.

Thanks for the heads up, @marketto007

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited March 2015 Posts: 3,277
    Do you know how long it took to film the pts car chase from QOS @marketto007 ? I am very curious, because I really think the SPECTRE-car chase turns out like quite a big, long car chase?

I don't remember exactly how many days took for filming the whole sequence, but I do remember it was quite a lot. We also had an accident with a car falling into the water which it was widely spread in the press, and they also filmed in several locations in Italy, like Carrara, etc.

Some additional infos from the chase sequence from QOS

- The main location was the Fantiscritti quarry
    - It took two weeks to set up and film
    - 150 takes were made on the main day of filming
    - 200 outside technicians were used (mainly from the UK)
    - 35 4x4s, 35 lorries and 30 normal trucks were used
    - 1 Aston Martin was destroyed
    - Aston Martin speeds reached 140km per hr during the chase scene.
  • RC7RC7

From memory the schedule was around four weeks, but delays were caused by the several accidents. QoS was a tricky chase to pull off, where the SP so far looks pretty straight forward in terms of it's progression, so I would imagine this one is definitely longer than the three minutes in QoS, even if they wrap it quicker.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 3,277
    @Gustav_Graves

Here's one of the several detailed Production Diaries from MI6 back in the day: http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_22_prod_diary32.php3

AstonCrushed2MOS_468x270.jpg
    Back to SPECTRE. For those interested, here's the latest high resolution photos from the official Sony Press Kit. The ones used in EMPIRE last issue.

http://i.imgur.com/vF8P47Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cJouZm2.jpg
    And here, another video from last night (March 2nd) shooting in Via della Conciliazione.

http://video.corriere.it/roma-007-set-james-bond-via-conciliazione-piazza-san-pietro/5cf36fba-c17e-11e4-9eeb-2972a4034f5c
    RC7 wrote: »

From memory the schedule was around four weeks, but delays were caused by the several accidents. QoS was a tricky chase to pull off, where the SP so far looks pretty straight forward in terms of it's progression, so I would imagine this one is definitely longer than the three minutes in QoS, even if they wrap it quicker.

Think the SPECTRE-chase is slightly better planned and rehearsed? I did see the wonderful storyboard of the SPECTRE-chase a few pages back, and it's made by the same person who created this wonderful storyboard for the Skyfall-Underground foot chase:
    2wfialx.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,512

Think the SPECTRE-chase is slightly better planned and rehearsed? I did see the wonderful storyboard of the SPECTRE-chase a few pages back, and it's made by the same person who created this wonderful storyboard for the Skyfall-Underground foot chase:
    2wfialx.jpg

I've no idea. I think one of the drivers in QoS was fined for reckless driving, so I guess that falls on Dan Bradley's head. In terms of it being mapped out and rehearsed, it all seems pretty slick, it's just the coverage that lets it down at points. Despite that, I really like the QoS chase, it's easily one of the highlights of the film. It's executed in a way that compliments the frantic nature of it all, it's almost like Bond is driving in a vehicle that is falling apart around him and all he has is his driving skills and a large slice of luck to get him out of it. I still maintain the the conclusion of the chase, when the cars split and Bond gets a split second to grab his gun and fires, is one of the most bad ass moments in his era thus far. It's cool as f***.

SP seems like it will be a more fluid chase from what I've seen. More sweeping jib shots of the cars as they glide around and also with more humour than QoS. I hope they do capture the visceral sense of speed that they did in QoS as well as the more fluid balletic choreography that I've seen in the clips so far.

Regard the SF foot chase, I wasn't a massive fan at all. I thought it was going to be miles better than it was.

2wfialx.jpg

I've no idea. I think one of the drivers in QoS was fined for reckless driving, so I guess that falls on Dan Bradley's head. In terms of it being mapped out and rehearsed, it all seems pretty slick, it's just the coverage that lets it down at points. Despite that, I really like the QoS chase, it's easily one of the highlights of the film. It's executed in a way that compliments the frantic nature of it all, it's almost like Bond is driving in a vehicle that is falling apart around him and all he has is his driving skills and a large slice of luck to get him out of it. I still maintain the the conclusion of the chase, when the cars split and Bond gets a split second to grab his gun and fires, is one of the most bad ass moments in his era thus far. It's cool as f***.

SP seems like it will be a more fluid chase from what I've seen. More sweeping jib shots of the cars as they glide around and also with more humour than QoS. I hope they do capture the visceral sense of speed that they did in QoS as well as the more fluid balletic choreography that I've seen in the clips so far.

Regard the SF foot chase, I wasn't a massive fan at all. I thought it was going to be miles better than it was.

My problem with the QOS-chase was that it didn't feel as realistic as, let's say, the car chase from "Ronin". The pirouette in the Lake Garda tunnel, suddenly a truck who seems to have a ramming pole, the "bad ass" moment when he manages to grab a gun in an instant, kill the driver in the Alfa, and tada, end of chase.

For me a car chase like "Ronin" was way more realistic. There are longer camera shots of the drivers, the facial gestures of actors Rober de Niro and Natacha McElhone really made it look convincing. So did the longer camera shots, and the editing that made the chase "easier-to-follow".

So I'm curious, what do you think? Regardless of how the car chases fit in the films, which one do you like more? "Ronin" or "Quantum Of Solace". I have a gut feeling that the SPECTRE-chase will be more Ronin-esque than QOS-esque.
  • RC7RC7

2wfialx.jpg

My problem with the QOS-chase was that it didn't feel as realistic as, let's say, the car chase from "Ronin". The pirouette in the Lake Garda tunnel, suddenly a truck who seems to have a ramming pole, the "bad ass" moment when he manages to grab a gun in an instant, kill the driver in the Alfa, and tada, end of chase.

For me a car chase like "Ronin" was way more realistic. There are longer camera shots of the drivers, the facial gestures of actors Rober de Niro and Natacha McElhone really made it look convincing. So did the longer camera shots, and the editing that made the chase "easier-to-follow".

So I'm curious, what do you think? Regardless of how the car chases fit in the films, which one do you like more? "Ronin" or "Quantum Of Solace". I have a gut feeling that the SPECTRE-chase will be more Ronin-esque than QOS-esque.

Ronin, that's not even up for debate for me. It's a mini-masterpiece of framing and angles, the geography of the scene is always consistent and Frankenheimer knows exactly how to use the surroundings, how to get the feel he wants in terms of speed - a lot of low angles (if you've ever been in a sports car you'll know that feeling). I think in terms of setting and style you might be right to point to this as a potential blueprint. My other favourite chase, which I think is probably my favourite of all time is in Bullitt. The thing I find so brilliant about Bullitt is that the cars become characters, which is something Bond did with the DB5, but in Bullitt they do it without tricks. It's pulled off primarily with pacing, almost directing the cars like they're actors, a slow pursuit that then bursts into a full on high-octane chase.

The one thing I will say regard shots is that I prefer it when they keep the camera moving, static or panning wide shots are great for establishing a scene, but they always kill the energy if they constitute part of the chase footage, so I'll be hoping we don't see any of those in SP. Doesn't look like it so far, seems all the footage is stabilised motion stuff, or fixed rigs on the cars.

2wfialx.jpg

Ronin, that's not even up for debate for me. It's a mini-masterpiece of framing and angles, the geography of the scene is always consistent and Frankenheimer knows exactly how to use the surroundings, how to get the feel he wants in terms of speed - a lot of low angles (if you've ever been in a sports car you'll know that feeling). I think in terms of setting and style you might be right to point to this as a potential blueprint. My other favourite chase, which I think is probably my favourite of all time is in Bullitt. The thing I find so brilliant about Bullitt is that the cars become characters, which is something Bond did with the DB5, but in Bullitt they do it without tricks. It's pulled off primarily with pacing, almost directing the cars like they're actors, a slow pursuit that then bursts into a full on high-octane chase.

The one thing I will say regard shots is that I prefer it when they keep the camera moving, static or panning wide shots are great for establishing a scene, but they always kill the energy if they constitute part of the chase footage, so I'll be hoping we don't see any of those in SP. Doesn't look like it so far, seems all the footage is stabilised motion stuff, or fixed rigs on the cars.

I don't know what your favorite car chase from a Bond film is then. In my case it's not a gadget heavy chase. It's actually the entire sequence from OHMSS where Bond and Tracy step in the Ford Cougar and end up in the barn. The stock car chase sequence included. That really feels good, is exciting, and lasts long enough.
  • RC7RC7

2wfialx.jpg

I don't know what your favorite car chase from a Bond film is then. In my case it's not a gadget heavy chase. It's actually the entire sequence from OHMSS where Bond and Tracy step in the Ford Cougar and end up in the barn. The stock car chase sequence included. That really feels good, is exciting, and lasts long enough.

I love the OHMSS chase, I love the FYEO chase, I love the AVTAK chase, I love the TSLWM chase (although it drags in places) I bloody love the tank chase and the tanker scene in LTK is awesome, I think TMWTGG chase has its moments. I still think the TND car park chase is fun given the context of those films.They all have their decent moments and are all inherently quite fun, but none really come close to Bullitt or Ronin, but then with these two films the chases are the set pieces, where in Bond they are a component part of a larger spread of action.

2wfialx.jpg

I love the OHMSS chase, I love the FYEO chase, I love the AVTAK chase, I love the TSLWM chase (although it drags in places) I bloody love the tank chase and the tanker scene in LTK is awesome, I think TMWTGG chase has its moments. I still think the TND car park chase is fun given the context of those films.They all have their decent moments and are all inherently quite fun, but none really come close to Bullitt or Ronin, but then with these two films the chases are the set pieces, where in Bond they are a component part of a larger spread of action.

Fully agreed. I kind of hope the car chase from SPECTRE will be very Ronin-esque or Bullitt-esque, style-wise, cinematography-wise, editing-wise, from start to -almost- end, full 7 to 8 mins. And if THEN at the very end, and only at the very end, we get this big "surprise", being a gadget, perhaps modeled to what your ideas are (
    Bond struggling to get out of his DB10 when he sinks in the Tiber
    ), then I think we have struck gold. I think it is then possible that after November 6th reviewers come up with headlines saying "Wow, this car chase is truly magnificent, and should be compared with "Ronin", "French Connection" and "Bullitt"! Stunning!" 8->

I'm quite confident @RC7
    I think Bond's car chase with Xenia in GOLDENEYE is one of the best chases in the series from a technical standpoint. Kinetic camera movement etc.
  • RC7RC7
    I think Bond's car chase with Xenia in GOLDENEYE is one of the best chases in the series from a technical standpoint. Kinetic camera movement etc.

Yes, very good call. That had completely slipped my mind. The bike gag is a bit trite, but it's an otherwise decent chase and tells us everything we need to know about Xenia without her uttering a word. So also probably one of the more narratively worthy scenes in terms of chases.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,119

Yes, very good call. That had completely slipped my mind. The bike gag is a bit trite, but it's an otherwise decent chase and tells us everything we need to know about Xenia without her uttering a word. So also probably one of the more narratively worthy scenes in terms of chases.

I agree. I loved that one too. And this chase kind of slipped my mind. I thought this was the last Bond chase directed/executed by our beloved Remy Jullienne no :-)?

R%C3%A9my-Julienne-086-RR.jpg

I really liked his work in "Le Casse" with Jean-Paul Belmondo. Look to how the cameras are used. Basically all wide (or slightly closer) shots of the actual cars. And also, every take is not that short. The cameraman takes the time for each shot. At least more than 3 sec's, which wasn't the case with QOS. It's so simple, yet so effective. I'm kind of happy that I've seen already quite a few wide-shot cranes on the set of "SPECTRE" in Rome. And perhaps the Fiat 500 will add some welcome Remy Julienne-esque fun too ;-):

And not to forget this one, from the 1975 thriller "Roma Violente". Also with stuntman Rémy Julienne. Perhaps Sam Mendes got slightly inspired by the Rome locations from this film ;-)?:
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,208
    Clapperboard from the video that @marketto007 posted earlier today:

1cXqoRs.jpg
    aaron819 wrote: »
    Clapperboard from the video that @marketto007 posted earlier today:

1cXqoRs.jpg

That's Alexander Witt in the middle no? :-)
    UPDATE with more photos from last night (March 2nd) shooting in Rome/Vatican City: http://imgur.com/a/31t93

wYlpP4g.jpg
    In Via Nomentana cars will be towed away from 00:00 on the 7th of March until 12:00 on the 9th of March. Filming will take place from Saturday night (07.03.) till Sunday early morning (09.03.)

B_MV0cWWoAIRM7k.jpg
    New video from yesterdays shooting

First pictures from tonights shooting preperations:

B_Mb5lSXAAIRABa.jpg
    B_Mb5PcW8AA0qXU.jpg
    Thanks for the new video @aaron819. Here are the first photos from today.

SwN0uJQ.jpg

TZEl0Ir.jpg
    Looks like they are filming on the Tiber today with the Aston into the river with crane scene:

Here is the crane:

B_MekYFWwAAQsG8.jpg
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Yes, tonight they are going to shoot it,
    tomorrow and the day (night) after tomorrow they are going to film in Via degli Scialoja.
    The Tiber scene was anticipated
    The Tiber is ready for Bond :D

10985992_939838659380506_1036091537_n.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    aaron819 wrote: »
    Looks like they are filming on the Tiber today with the Aston into the river with crane scene:

What??? The Aston will fall into the river? I thought this is spoiler-free? ;-) Anyway, Q will not be happy about the way the equipment is (not) returned. Let's hope the Aston does not turn into a submarine or motorboat...