"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    vzok wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    God I hope not for their sake.

He cant handle changing a match tactically,they would definitely go down with him.

Premiership proven

The captain of the Titanic was the White Star Line's top man and 'proven' in commanding a ship. What's your point?

Sunk by an iceberg/sunk by Iceland - they're both career enders. No one in the Premier league or championship would touch him now surely. I'd be surprised if they'd even have him back in Sweden.

My point was ironic

Overjoyed to hear it. The notion that there is anyone out there who thinks Roy is still employable is more out there than thinking Corbyn would make a good PM.
    The EPL should play a game on friday night like other leagues. Good idea ?

He cant handle changing a match tactically,they would definitely go down with him.

Premiership proven

The captain of the Titanic was the White Star Line's top man and 'proven' in commanding a ship. What's your point?

Sunk by an iceberg/sunk by Iceland - they're both career enders. No one in the Premier league or championship would touch him now surely. I'd be surprised if they'd even have him back in Sweden.

My point was ironic

Overjoyed to hear it. The notion that there is anyone out there who thinks Roy is still employable is more out there than thinking Corbyn would make a good PM.

He is in many parts well respected. Seen as a safe pair of hands.

At Liverpool he was rude, unambitious, brought in some dire players and when sacked the press felt he was harshly treated. Got off lightly at England too.

Anyway he isn't interested in Norwich. I think they have their sights on Alan Partridge now.
    001 wrote: »

They do sometimes.

Premiership proven

My point was ironic

He is in many parts well respected. Seen as a safe pair of hands.

At Liverpool he was rude, unambitious, brought in some dire players and when sacked the press felt he was harshly treated. Got off lightly at England too.

Anyway he isn't interested in Norwich. I think they have their sights on Alan Partridge now.

Now THAT would be hilarious...every time Norwich scored you would get an "Ahaaaaaa" from the Partridge !!
    001 wrote: »

They do sometimes.

Well I remember they did it at the start of the season a bit but I can't remember the last time. Maybe they've realised expecting fans to commute from Sunderland to Southhampton on a Friday night an idea almost as appalling as referring to the 'Premier League' as the 'EPL'?
    Now THAT would be hilarious...every time Norwich scored you would get an "Ahaaaaaa" from the Partridge !!

That's liquid football!
    If it is Partridge? It will be better than Pardew.
  • GBFGBF
    GBF wrote: »
    I guess Captain Smith would have prefered Roy Hodgson's career end...

And I dare say most England fans inside that stadium in Nice would be than overjoyed to see Roy at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Even though Captain Smith's career end was cold and wet it was certainly more honourable.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    If it is Partridge? It will be better than Pardew.

Partridge is slightly less arrogant
    Good to see this thread getting back to its original Partridge and football roots. It's been far too football centric for too long.
    Damn right...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Take that horse back to the stables and give it a kiss! :D
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 1,009
    I know we're just getting started, but there's something that tickles my fancy: don't you think the American and Australian NTs have already lost the ticket to Russia with their awful start? I like both, mind you.
    Well an encouraging 3 points yesterday boys. Well done! :-bd
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2017 Posts: 4,554
    My gawd, is Man City the whiniest club in the EPL.
    Half decent weekend for Man United, hopefully during the international break a few players will return from injury and recoup.
    I am hoping for a new Manager still during the international break?!!!! :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jose Mourinho says he is now a more mature manager, and his priority is to foster "peace and love" within the Manchester United squad
    http://www.francefootball.fr/news/Jose-mourinho-dans-france-football-j-ai-muri-je-suis-plus-apaise-une-victoire-ne-represente-plus-la-lune-et-une-defaite-plus-un-enfer/786999

What has he got two more years at United till the bubble bursts again. If not sooner.
  • GBFGBF
    What a goal... :-) Fairy tale finish for Podolski in the German team.
    Decent game for a friendly congrats to Podolski fitting end to his international career.
    I didn't even bother watching the match. England just always disappoint.
    Same here,i was already angry about what happened yesterday,the last thing I wanted was to watch those 'champagne Charlies' lose again.

• GBFGBF
    I didn't watch the match but read that England was actually the better team in the first half....
    They should be,they were playing a German reserve side almost and still lost.
    Same here,i was already angry about what happened yesterday,the last thing I wanted was to watch those 'champagne Charlies' lose again.

Absolutely Barry007, puts things seriously into perspective!
    GBF wrote: »
    I didn't watch the match but read that England was actually the better team in the first half....

And they still lost! :)) ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The thing is England have a few half decent players, for the first time in years. It doesn't mean a thing as they will no doubt freeze in the head lights when the big stage beckons.

However, the first step has been taken ie Rooney has been dropped.
    Thank God for that Nackers..he has been useless for a long time,and they couldn't change the system much while he was there...but you know all that.
    NicNac wrote: »
    The thing is England have a few half decent players, for the first time in years. It doesn't mean a thing as they will no doubt freeze in the head lights when the big stage beckons.

However, the first step has been taken ie Rooney has been dropped.

England had a golden era of players, and did absolutely nothing with them.
    Aaah the 'Golden Generation'....what a flop that was.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Indeed Baz. There was a point before the last tournament where England were playing free flowing, attacking football, and winning a few friendlies.

But, it was mainly because Rooney was out injured. Kane and Vardy were scoring, it looked good. He came back, was immediately reinstated and wouldn't you know it they went out to Iceland.

The pundits argue that his goals, his stats etc suggest he is England's best player and must therefore play. Well, that never helped Malcolm Macdonald get more caps in his day, or Ian Wright or Andy Cole. Their stats were superb but there was always a more powerful player (ie influential behind the scenes) who the manager never dared drop.

Kevin Keegan was crap for a long time after passing his best, but he kept getting picked for England. Alan Shearer went through a loooong period where he scored naff all, but he was picked for England every time. He was a great striker, but there were times when he was getting in because of who he was.

One England squad a few years back consisted of three strikers - Heskey, Owen and Fowler - at a time when none of them could hit a dead elephant's arse with a banjo - but reputation, and the fact they all played for Liverpool was everything. So they got picked.

We need a manager with the balls to drop players when they are playing badly.