SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2,015
    I'm afraid that between PP and GG, it's nearly impossible to have fun considering some hypothesis, there's always one of them who "knows" (whether Bond24 will be shot on film or on digital). And here, they can't be both right :)

Not sure it's a motion control rig, it could be a stabilization rig, I don't think we can say from a photo, it all depends on the command. However, kudos for the one who knows *for sure* why the 3 cameras are mounted that way. If it's to shoot someone, well only a stuntman would accept to be that close to that mount... Hm... And well, there's the super mundane explanation :
    to shoot something going so fast you would not be sure to have it in one camera's frame
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    @Sandy

Pre-production on a film, especially on a film the scale of a James Bond film can take a long time and be very extensive... with principal photography set to begin in less than a month - no doubt the local production crews in those cities are hard at work obtaining camera rigs - or as seen above, building them.. and along with that comes testing the rigs (with cameras attached) to make sure everything works, that way when it comes time for Mendes and company (or the 2nd Unit) to come rolling in, they don't sit around waiting for stuff to be built - especially when it comes to action sequences - those can get very complicated to shoot, and building custom rigs to get a certain kind of shot can take some time..

Thanks @Haserot ;)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 871
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    And THANK YOU for using Spoiler tags! I seriously can't say enough how much I appreciate it.

Here's a suggestion. As soon as the filming starts, we will undoubtedly see spoilers here. Perhaps you should consider updating the thread title to Bond 24 Production Timeline - USE SPOILER TAGS, or something like that. I think that with a clearly visible warning, people will be more careful.
  • I'm afraid that between PP and GG, it's nearly impossible to have fun considering some hypothesis, there's always one of them who "knows" (whether Bond24 will be shot on film or on digital). And here, they can't be both right :)

Aaaaah come on Frenchman. Have some fun with me under your...parachute ;-) (think final scene " Goldfinger" )
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619

So you seen digital camera's and you're still sure they shoot on film? Since when can't pictures be confirmations? For me this is quite clear. James Bond 24 will be shot digitally (also easier for IMAX transfer), and that's how I like it. The wunderful quality/resolution of "Skyfall" was simply marvellous. People called me crazy when I said it would be shot digitally, because fans trusted a cinematographer's word (Roger Deakins) when he's not even onboard anymore for Bond 24 (ridiculous that fans took one tiny forum message on Deakins' forum for granted). Well, I can't be bothered. Visually, we'll get another stunning Bond film now we basically know it'll be shot digitally.

I will expect a long and heartfelt apology from you once we get a confirmation that Bond 24 will be shot on film (except a few action shots). Why is it so hard for you to get that Roger Deakins is not the only one who wrote that Bond 24 will be shot on film and that a photo confirmes nothing, since many movies that are shot on film have a fews shots filmed digitally (like QOS). Talking to you is like talking to a clueless 5 year old.

Hoytema has already done several camera tests with a non-digital camera in the last few months, so you are just embarassing yourself with continuing this "Bond 24 will be shot in digital" nonsense.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119

So you seen digital camera's and you're still sure they shoot on film? Since when can't pictures be confirmations? For me this is quite clear. James Bond 24 will be shot digitally (also easier for IMAX transfer), and that's how I like it. The wunderful quality/resolution of "Skyfall" was simply marvellous. People called me crazy when I said it would be shot digitally, because fans trusted a cinematographer's word (Roger Deakins) when he's not even onboard anymore for Bond 24 (ridiculous that fans took one tiny forum message on Deakins' forum for granted). Well, I can't be bothered. Visually, we'll get another stunning Bond film now we basically know it'll be shot digitally.

I will expect a long and heartfelt apology from you once we get a confirmation that Bond 24 will be shot on film (except a few action shots). Why is it so hard for you to get that Roger Deakins is not the only one who wrote that Bond 24 will be shot on film and that a photo confirmes nothing, since many movies that are shot on film have a fews shots filmed digitally (like QOS). Talking to you is like talking to a clueless 5 year old.

With such heartfelt reaction -when I actually thanked you- you can be correct for my part and I don't care if it's shot on film or digitally. Man.....why are people in here so irritated by....excitement....and a good set of pictures, posted by themselves, that have some value regarding proof.

I will never give you an apology. Back in 2011 I was 200% WRONG when I said Ralph Fiennes was going to play Blofeld. And I admitted it. But you must have a twisted timing for apoligizing then. Because it's not me going to apoligize.
    :-( Sad how people react...sometimes. I may sound fierce in my posts due to overexcitement. But I will never compare people with 5-year old's. Have some respect.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619
    why are people in here so irritated by....excitement....and a good set of pictures, posted by themselves, that have some value regarding proof.

I am not irritated by excitement. What irritates me is your blatant disregard of facts and spreading misinformation all the time. It is simply not true that these pictures confirm that they will shoot the whole movie in digital and it is also not true that Deakins can't know anything about the cinematography of Bond 24 just because he passed on the job. (Hello, the guy talked to Mendes, the director of the movie!)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Hoytema has already done several camera tests with a non-digital camera in the last few months, so you are just embarassing yourself with continuing this "Bond 24 will be shot in digital" nonsense.

I heard about these tests too. How many different cameras did he test on? I would assume that if he were to shoot 35mm then Arriflex would be top of the list.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    why are people in here so irritated by....excitement....and a good set of pictures, posted by themselves, that have some value regarding proof.

I am not irritated by excitement. What irritates me is your blatant disregard of facts and spreading misinformation all the time. It is simply not true that these pictures confirm that they will shoot the whole movie in digital and it is also not true that Deakins can't know anything about the cinematography of Bond 24 just because he passed on the job. (Hello, the guy talked to Mendes, the director of the movie!)

I tell you one thing. I don't talk with such strong language against another person. Do something about that. Feeling irritated because someone is talking directly AT you is one thing. But feeling irritated because of "blatant disregard of facts and spreading misinformation" is a sheer exaggeration. I have no disregard for facts. But apparently people see more proof in.....one tiny post on a forum from a cinematographer that hasn't even been confirmed to be a post from a cinematographer....than in a crisp and clear picture of a camera with "ARRI ALEXA" on it.

Guess what, in the above post I never called you a 5-year old kid!

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    (:| ...stop fighting ..neither of you are working on Bond 24 ..neither of you know.
    Well another PP/GG clash happened, as expected.
    What irritates me is your blatant disregard of facts and spreading misinformation all the time.

And this is from someone who wrote just a few days ago :
    According to people in the know, the read-through will last about two weeks. Just like it did in the case of Skyfall.

:)

So PP knows "everything except some things" about movie making, and amongst many other things, GG is sure anyone can obtain the title of Bond 24 by giving a credit card number to any reverse whois website... (IMO : keep your money).

Maybe you could have a thread for the super-experts like you two, and let us all others having *fun* doing hypothesis about what we could guess from the photos and so on ? This 3-camera mount is quite uncommon IMO, you know (to prove me wrong : show me some other on set pictures with such a 3-camera mount). But if anytime someone writes an hypothesis we have to deal with people who are sure they understand better than anyone else, the fun is soon over.

Gee, the Lea Seydoux "casting BS rumor fiasco" did not help anything, despite being a nice cautionary tale about Internet forum "experts"...

Here is the deal @Suivez_ce_parachute : I was the first one on this forum to post that Hoyte van Hoytema will be the cinematographer of Bond 24. I posted that weeks before any other confirmation about him being the cinematographer of the movie. The same guy I got that information from also told me that the movie will be shot on film. And he is not the only one who confirmed that Bond 24 won't be shot in digital.

@mcdonbb Really? So are you saying we can't possibly know anything about Bond 24 just because we are not working on Bond 24? I wonder how we know the shooting locations, how we know about Dave Bautista, Lea Sydeoux and Christoph Waltz joining the movie and that they will start shooting in early December... No, we can't possibly know anything about Bond 24 unless we are working on that movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A lot of the problems going on here stem from theory's and speculations getting passed off as fact. It's like when you whisper in someone's ear and tell them to pass the message on to someone else. It isn't the same and words keep getting twisted until the original communication is lost and all hell breaks loose.

Since this is a news thread, I think we should all keep speculations and rumors to an absolute minimum. Same goes for the Waltz's being Blofeld rumors/theories. He could be Blofeld and he might not be. Let's wait until the Press Conference happens so we get all the facts. This fighting has been happening all around the forum. All shall be revealed in time.
    Nice try to create a strawman, PP, but I never said GG was right when claiming Bond 24 would be filmed in digital. I even wrote several times I thought it was more likely that it would be shot on film...

Well, I also was the first one to post on this forum than on June it seemed Logan was doing many, many things not related to Bond at all, and PP, you told me to stop writing stupid things, as you was sure Logan would deliver :)

But PP, after having made a fool of yourself just a few days ago with your comment about the two-weeks script read-through stuff, why don't you step down a bit from your mountain of certainties ?

There are several persons here who worked or still works in the movie industry, and IMO we know all that outside of a few people, it's really hard to know something for sure in many fields in this industry... That is IMO the basis of mcdonbb comment.

And even having some expertise is not the answer to everything :

I worked (a little bit) for VFX on the set of two high-budget movies, and I had to know exactly what lenses were used to do some real-time previz on set, etc.. I spent hours dealing with camera and lense settings. And yet, franky I'm a bit clueless about that 3-camera mount. I can give some ideas, but I cannot say for sure what they're for. And this 3-camera mount is IMO not common at all. It could even be a purely calibration stuff to later mount a film camera, who knows ?

• Do you think you are an expert @Suivez_ce_parachute? I think this is the problem with a forum: You don't see or hear each other. We only react to words. Things would be different if at least some people are open to get in touch with each other outside the forum. Then our "little dictator" in all of us will be toned down inevitably. Alas, most forummembers don't wanna do that.
    IMO, to think that a script-through can last two weeks and to correct other people about it,

English is not by first language. By read-through I meant the rehearsals. Did you really think that I was thinking they would just read the script from beginning to end again and again and again and again for two weeks? @-)
    I'm not an expert on Bond24, but I know I don't know, like most here. Some others seem to think they know a lot, on the other hand. And they spoil the fun of anyone else trying to guess some things from the few leaks of actual info we have. This PP/GG clash about Bond 24 digital vs Bond 24 film is just noise, and it prevents any other exchange about these photos. I'm afraid it will happen a lot...

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    judging by the above photos of the ARRI ALEXA cameras, i would find it pretty safe to assume that Bond 24 will be shot entirely digital... now thats just my assumption based on what i've seen.. but we'll see, and probably get a much clearer picture once filming has started..

it would be a good question to ask Mendes at the presser if anyone from MI6 is attending ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great to have you back @haserot. :) Nice new avatar too.
    Did you really think that I was thinking they would just read the script from beginning to end again and again and again and again for two weeks? @-)

Yes :) Don't forget you wrote this to correct Colonel Sun who had just explained what a script read-through was. He explained it again after your "correction".

But Colonel Sun actually works in the movie industry, so he knows less than some Internet expert, I guess :)

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    HASEROT wrote: »
    judging by the above photos of the ARRI ALEXA cameras, i would find it pretty safe to assume that Bond 24 will be shot entirely digital... now thats just my assumption based on what i've seen.. but we'll see, and probably get a much clearer picture once filming has started..

it would be a good question to ask Mendes at the presser if anyone from MI6 is attending ;)

Welcome back, @haserot
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    A lot of the problems going on here stem from theory's and speculations getting passed off as fact. It's like when you whisper in someone's ear and tell them to pass the message on to someone else. It isn't the same and words keep getting twisted until the original communication is lost and all hell breaks loose.

Since this is a news thread, I think we should all keep speculations and rumors to an absolute minimum. Same goes for the Waltz's being Blofeld rumors/theories. He could be Blofeld and he might not be. Let's wait until the Press Conference happens so we get all the facts. This fighting has been happening all around the forum. All shall be revealed in time.
    Well I think that as I am vey excited for the press conference, we all know that all of our questions won't be answered during the event. Has anyone else other than me re-watched Skyfall's press conference? All seemed very reluctant to answer questions about the film obviously, but we still got a lot of information. I can't remember. Was the plot of the movie released the same day?

Sadly these questions are never asked during the press conference. I encourage MI6 to ask smart questions:
    --> "Will Thomas Newman return as composer?"
    --> "Will Hoyte van Hoytema and you [Sam Mendes] shoot entirely digitally?
    And more smart questions:
    --> "Why was it important for Danjaq and MGM to obtain the rights to "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" from the McGlory estate?"
    --> "Can you confirm the following shooting locations? Mexico, Austria, Italy and Morocco?"
    --> "Will the Bond 24 story have some links with previous outings of Daniel Craig? Does the story have a sense of continuity?"

Welcome back, @haserot

Welcome back indeed @Haserot :-). As you can read in previous posts I was kinda worried man! You were gone so suddenly. It's not worth it ;-).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    HASEROT wrote: »

Sadly these questions are never asked during the press conference. I encourage MI6 to ask smart questions:
    --> "Will Thomas Newman return as composer?"
    --> "Will Hoyte van Hoytema and you [Sam Mendes] shoot entirely digitally?
    And more smart questions:
    --> "Why was it important for Danjaq and MGM to obtain the rights to "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" from the McGlory estate?"
    --> "Can you confirm the following shooting locations? Mexico, Austria, Italy and Morocco?"
    --> "Will the Bond 24 story have some links with previous outings of Daniel Craig? Does the story have a sense of continuity?"
    Yes @Gustav_Graves those are great questions. I also thought of another question they could ask, like
    "Quantum of Solace was perceived as the disappointing sequel of Casino Royale. How could this be improved upon this time around?"
    Did you really think that I was thinking they would just read the script from beginning to end again and again and again and again for two weeks? @-)

Yes :) Don't forget you wrote this to correct Colonel Sun who had just explained what a script read-through was. He explained it again after your "correction".

But Colonel Sun actually works in the movie industry, so he knows less than some Internet expert, I guess :)

Again, when i was writing "read-through" I was thinking of the whole rehearsal process. And did I write after his explanation that "no you are wrong!" ? No, I did not.

By the way, when discussing Bond 24 it is not necessarily relevant whether someone works in the movie industry or not. I suspect Jack Nicholson knows less about Bond 24 at this point than most of us.
    I don't care weather the film is shot on film or digital as long as it not like QoS. If its like Skyfall then yes, but like QoS no
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    "Why was it important for Danjaq and MGM to obtain the rights to "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" from the McGlory estate?"

i can answer that one easily lol....... it boils down to 2 things, money & control..

After all the headache that McClory has caused the folks over at MGM and EON, I'm sure they wanted to nip this in the bud... McClory himself vowed to never sell his rights to Thunderball, SPECTRE or Blofeld - but when he died, the game changed - and thats when EON actively started to pursue his estate for the rights.... i view it's acquisition in the same way that EON will actively pursue and secure the filming rights to the new James Bond books... I am not sure if they acquired the rights to 'Solo', but they did get the cinematic rights to 'Devil May Care' and 'Carte Blanche'... this lead folks to immediately assume that they were going to turn those into films right away..... which, if EON wanted to, they could, but it's more about blocking anyone else from obtaining the material to subsequently try and pull a McClory and make their own rival Bond film..... EON wanted the Thunderball, SPECTRE and Blofeld quickly so that way they could put an end to the notion of another rival Bond film...

it's like when Vince McMahon bought WCW... sometimes, somethings have been a thorn in your side for long, that when you eventually own it - you want nothing more to do, than to bury it.......

not saying Babs and MGW feel the same about Blofeld (the burying him part) as I'm sure he'll creep back up eventually... i just don't see a desire from them to want to bring him back at this point...
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,745
    RC7 wrote: »
    Looks like they're using a motion control rig in the that close-up. Not always the case, but could suggest special effects shots.

It almost looks to be on or capable of being on a trailer. Perhaps motion control for some vehicle movement.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Okay, let's not speculate too much about Blofeld here. I'm all for his return, but there's very little evidence he might. Logan said a while ago that Bond should always fight Blofeld. When everything is said, that's pretty much it. And they have the rights to the character again. Yes, Waltz fits the bill. But so would have Wiseman, Lee, Krabbe and many more, who did not play Blofeld.

I think it's better to say: "There's little evidence Blofeld and SPECTRE might return. But there's also little evidence that Blofeld and SPECTRE will not return at all."

In any case, the last part of my sentence is already questionable, as there are quite a few developments that suggest the brand names "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" will be re-awakened. To put these developments into open ended questions:

--> Why did MGM and Danjaq put so much effort in re-acquiring the rights to "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE"?
    (article: http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11158&t=mi6&s=news )

--> Why did Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson openly said back in November 2012 that they believed "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" now can be used?
    quote from Ms Broccoli: "No, I think it's still out there, but we just don't refer to it in this particular film." Tantalisingly, Wilson reveals that they have the rights to bring back Blofeld and SPECTRE, cornerstones of big-screen Bond that vanished in legal battles for long decades. Broccoli: "We believe we can use them."
    (article/image: http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/Magazines/sfx-2012-11-nov/sfx-2012-11-nov-050-050.jpg )

So actually @Ludovico, there's at least some evidence that shows EON Productions do not want to put "Blofeld" and "SPECTRE" to the graveyards.

The quote from mrs broccoli is about Quantum NOT Spectre