Brosnan's best villians ?

do_me_nicelydo_me_nicely Banned
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 106
I think James Bond Number 5 his villians are underlooked . Some very good , what do you say ? Bond attacks some very good villians in Brosnan Age !! share your ranks , please ?
1. 006
2. Renard and Electra (it is close)
3. Gustaf Graves
4. Carver \m/

Comments

• edited August 2011 Posts: 19,339
    1.Alec Trevelyan
    2.Electra King (not Renard - a character i have never got on with)
    3.Elliott Carver
    4.Gustav Graves

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    1) Carver - because Pryce plays it so deliciously campy.

2) 006 - because Sean Bean is... Well, he's Sean Bean.

3) Renard - fine actor, terrible script to work with.

4) Graves - meh.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    1. Elliott Carver
    2. Gustav Graves
    3. Alec Trevelyan
    4. Renard / Elektra
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,690
    1.Alec
    2.Carver
    3.Graves

4.Renard/Electra
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,485
    EDIT: Thought it was only the major villains. Re-doing mine:

1.) Alec
    2.) Xenia
    3.) Ourumov
    4.) Elektra
    5.) Kaufman
  • Alec
    Carver
    Renard

Graves
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    1)Alec
    2)Elektra/Renard
    3)Carver
    4)Gustav

Sadly none except Alec impress me.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Onatopp, Xenya - ex soviet fighter pilot ;)

In regard to Graves I didn't think he was too bad - sort of like an evil, camp version of Hugh Grant.
    (1) Alec Trevelyan
    (2) General Ourumov
    (3) Xenia Onatopp
    (4) Stamper
    (5) Renard

Elektra King and Elliot Carver are worthy villains as well, but not quite the top 5.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Can we count the real villains of the Brosnan Bond era?

1) Purvis and Wade
    2) Bruce Feirstein(TND)
    3) Madonna
    4) Sheryl Crowe
    Can we count the real villains of the Brosnan Bond era?

1) Purvis and Wade

:-))
    None of them. The villains were the achilles heal of the Brozzer years.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I'd say that the best villain by far is Alec Trevelyan, followed by Ourumov, Xenia, Renard (highly underused), and Carver.

All other villains and henchmen during Brosnan's time were complete rubbish.
    Mr Kil ;)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I'm sure you know I was joking @luds. :-D :-))
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I'm sure you know I was joking @luds. :-D :-))
    Oh yes Bain, the Facepalm was 100% directed at our good buddies Purvis and Wade for the fantastic creation of Mr. Kil.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    1. Alec Trevelyan
    2. General Ourumov
    3. Xenia Onatopp
    4. The rest
    1. Alec Trevelyan
    2. General Ourumov
    3. Xenia Onatopp
    4. The rest
    Beautiful choices.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'd say that the best villain by far is Alec Trevelyan, followed by Ourumov, Xenia, Renard (highly underused), and Carver.

It's logical - after EON saw all the villains totally outshined Brosnan in GE, they had to level down the villains and give 1-dimensional characters to great actors so poor Brosnan wouldn't out of his league during the whole tenure.

It's logical - after EON saw all the villains totally outshined Brosnan in GE, they had to level down the villains and give 1-dimensional characters to great actors so poor Brosnan wouldn't out of his league during the whole tenure.
    What about Carver? he was one of the more interesting villains during Brosnan's era and played by a highly respected actor. Brosnan played opposite Pryce pretty well IMO. The remarks about being "lost at sea" or "adrift" reminded me of Connery's snide "spectre of defeat" comments to Largo in TB.
  • 1. Trevelyan
    2. Xenia
    3. Carver
    4. Renard
    5. Elektra
  • LudsLuds MIA

What about Carver? he was one of the more interesting villains during Brosnan's era and played by a highly respected actor. Brosnan played opposite Pryce pretty well IMO. The remarks about being "lost at sea" or "adrift" reminded me of Connery's snide "spectre of defeat" comments to Largo in TB.
    I agree with DC on this, Bean was the real star of GE, and it certainly seems as the villains wend down the drain afterwards. Carver was an interesting case, many find him ridiculously over the top, I agree with this, but Pryce was convincing as a madman, even if the storyline was sub par, I like his performance.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would much prefered Bean as Bond and Brosnan as the villain. That could have worked so much better for GoldenEye and the series going forward.
    I would much prefered Bean as Bond and Brosnan as the villain. That could have worked so much better for GoldenEye and the series going forward.
    I've never thought about that until now - good point. As much as I love GE and Brosnan in it, Bean stole the spotlight. He would have been an excellent Bond. Ever since GE when I noticed him, he's had an iffy career - good movie here and there (LOTR, mainly), and now 'Game of Thrones' on HBO. Would have heavily enjoyed having him as Bond, but man, was he a good villain.
    It would be a nice concept to have Bean and Brosnan switch roles, but I don't know if I could deal with that. Brosnan just works out too well as 007, for me at least.
    @00Beast, I couldn't agree more. Right there with you, buddy. At the time, when I was young and had no idea who Brosnan was, I probably wouldn't have cared. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad Brosnan was Bond. And with that, Bean was the villain, and I would have to say he's my favorite Bond villain out of all of them. Going from close friend to deadly foe like that.
    @Creasy47: Agreed. Both of them were greatly suited for their roles. I can't see Pierce playing a double-agent who wants revenge on London.
    Pierce had played baddies prior to GE and was actually pretty good. I'm sure he could have done it.

As for Bean playing Bond...possibly. Eventhough he does have a rather uncouth, working class manner about him like Daniel Craig. Not sure if Fleming would have picked him tbh.

Bond was an archetype of the old fashioned sophisticated English gentleman with a cold hardened look in his eyes. The first part doesn't apply to Bean.
    I just think that the entire cast of villains in GE were great: Alec could manipulate, Onatopp could seduce, Ourumov could lead, and Boris could handle the specs.