Brosnan's best villians ?

Comments

I just think that the entire cast of villains in GE were great: Alec could manipulate, Onatopp could seduce, Ourumov could lead, and Boris could handle the specs.
    Indeed! Janus had the best of the best! Only SPECTRE has come as close, and maybe Quantum, if we give them time.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 102
    Graves
    Alec
    Renard
    Carver
    I think a lot of people will want you to get a new username @jinx
    she is very underrated.
    I'd duck for cover if I were you ;)
    in a way she's one of Brosnan's best villains lol.
    :-)) :-))
    Brosnan villians?

there weren't that many that really stood out if you think about it

Goldeneye, Onatopp just wasn't any humor, how could she possibly crush fully grown men with the legs she had?, not a great bad girl, best part was at the Severnaya site with General Ourumov. Sean Bean's Alec Trevelyan was actually quite convincing, but he couldn't do it all on his own with the people around him. Alan cumming as the computer programmer was almost embarrassing, 'I am Invincible' etc etc

Tomorrow Never Dies, Johnathan Pryce was a terrible bad guy, apart from a few droll quips you wouldn't even notice his character was even present, never felt threatened at any part, the German henchman, again, no real threat of any kind, the one I liked best was in the Hotel room in Hamburg and that Doctor comes in and talks to Brosnan before he intends to shoot him, 'I have clear shot at your head misser bond, lie down on bed next to mizzes carfer and kick your gun over to me ya'

The World Is Not Enough, you want to see a good Robert Carlyle performance, check out something he did in UK crime series 'Cracker' years back, this movie wasn't it, he didn't seem menacing, looked like he could be blown over by a strong gust of wind. His 'Renard' character was just lame, and offered no threat to the audience, or Bond even. I didn't mind the Electra King turning sides bit half way through, but she isin't a credible 'bond villian', I was surprised when she was shot at the end by Bond when I first saw it in theaters, you just don't expect to see women slain by 007

Die Another Day, Toby Stephens tried his best, but it just didn't work, got a bit confusing for some, his Gustav Graves person seemed a bit absurd, although I did like the sword fight (what the f was Madonna doing in a bond movie) bit and some other random parts, I thought the Zao character presented more menace, I would rather of had Halle Berry as the bad girl and Rosamund Pike as Brosnans other half, don't know what they were thinking

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Curse @Jinx and her unstoppable crazy-face Brosnan photo spamming!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. Alec
    2. Xenia
    3. Ouromov
    4. The rest can fight over it.
    1.Travelyan
    2.Carver
    3.King/Renard
    4.Graves

Only counting the "main villains" of his era
    All Brosnans villains, except for Xenia who was a cliche, lacked menace.

I think I had been overexposed to Sean Bean by 1995. This was a long time before Boromir and I had seen him in enough BBC plays and even going back to 1987 and Caravaggio (look that one up if you dare). To me Trevelyan was another Sean Bean role like Mellors in Lady Chatterleys lover. Where I was looking for another Michael Lonsdale or Robert Davi - I just rememebr his bare arse going up and down in LCL.

Jonathan Pryce got it all wrong. Bond villains work when they are larger then life but played dangerously. His performance of ham tipped the scales for me and I found him ridiculous. Rupert Murdoch in a courtroom has more menace the Jonathan Pryce doing panto as Eliot Carver.

TWINE has two villains and neither of them work. Carlyle has the charisma of a bowl of porridge and at times seems invisible. But poor old Electra is a mess, irratically played and we never take her seriously as a victim or a revenge seeking monster. She is all over the place.

Gustav Graves? Oh Gustav Graves....The casting of Toby Stephens was too young but even Vincent Price would strugle with some of the shit he was given to say. I often wonder if this sneering superior David Cameron lookee-likee is Tamahoris revenge for the Englishmen he has struggled with all his life. Something wasnt right.

And then it gets turned around with Le Chiffre.

Wherever its Flemings original concept for a villain, the setting, the story, the casting. But Le Chiffre glaring sweating across the green baize table from Bond has more menace then the Brosnan villains combined.

Who'd have thunk it?
  • For me the number one is a tough choice between 006 and Elektra.

I think that most people would agree that 006 was Brosnan's most "worthy" adversary and was well-played by Bean. Far better than the ridiculous Carver or the terribly miscast Carlysle (part of me wonders what the character of Renard could have been in other hands).

But I do have a particular appreciation for Elektra. I remember seeing TWINE in the theatre and all the guys finding her to be gorgeous and appealingly vulnerable - a typical Fleming "bird with one wing down". Although the relationship between her and Bond felt rather rushed I could see why he would fall for her. Then when the reveal came it was interesting, and the way that she first acted hurt at Bond's accusations - building doubt about whether she was guilty - and then teased him about how he couldn't kill her - well, that was a great unlikeable villian (which is a good thing). I was still shocked when Bond killed her and I think that it was Brosnan's finest moment. It was interesting to hear how much guys hated her character in the end, which I think taps in to a primal fear that men have about being lied to and manipulated by women. Great character and for all the guys I spoke to (around my age; mid-twenties) about TWINE to go from having the hots for her in the beginning of the film to being glad that "the bitch" was dead at the end - well, that's a successful villian character!
    Elektra had some serious daddy issues.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just think that the entire cast of villains in GE were great: Alec could manipulate, Onatopp could seduce, Ourumov could lead, and Boris could handle the specs.
    Indeed! Janus had the best of the best! Only SPECTRE has come as close, and maybe Quantum, if we give them time.
    I agree with both of you ! The Janus team was really professional, and the actors were all charismatic and interesting... and memorable !

• Elektra had some serious daddy issues.
    Both of them...;-)
    The worst villain of the Brosnan movies is, without a doubt, Zao. I cannot stand any scene where he speaks, or for that matter, is even present! The best part of the movie comes after he's dead! Does anyone else agree that he's the worst Brosnan villain?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The worst villain of the Brosnan movies is, without a doubt, Zao. I cannot stand any scene where he speaks, or for that matter, is even present! The best part of the movie comes after he's dead! Does anyone else agree that he's the worst Brosnan villain?
    He's the biggest non-entity, that's for certain but whether that makes him the worst, I don't know. Take Graves for example who has more of a character which only helps damage his 'credibility' as a villain further in my opinion.
  • I just think that the entire cast of villains in GE were great: Alec could manipulate, Onatopp could seduce, Ourumov could lead, and Boris could handle the specs.
    I feel the same way about the GE villians, great cast.

1A- Alec
    1B- Xenia
    2- Carver
    3. Elektra
    4. Miranda (if I have to cast a vote for a cast of villains the complete opposite of GE)

already spoken on this issue but in any event

Only Trevelyan stands out as any potential threat to Brosnan in Goldeneye, Onatopp was just lame, said it before 'no woman with legs like hers could cause an injury and I could never take her seriously, fiction or not', the Ourumov character just lacked any spark or imagination and as for the computer boy Boris, the least said the better

best Brosnan bad guys were (and I'm trying hard to think of any tangible names) may have appeared most in Die another Day, Toby Stephens was a good villian, the Frost character turning heel was a neat move and Zao did portray an element of threat

at least that's how I feel about it

Alec T.
    Elekra K.
    Honorable mention
    Xenia
    Kaufman
    Renard
  • The worst villain of the Brosnan movies is, without a doubt, Zao. I cannot stand any scene where he speaks, or for that matter, is even present! The best part of the movie comes after he's dead! Does anyone else agree that he's the worst Brosnan villain?
    Rick Yune had the potential to make a decent villain, it's just a shame he was cast as the awful Zao, he has no real threat just wanders around in bad make up.

I actually think the cast of DAD is quite good with Toby, Rosamund and Yune (with the exception of Halle), but they never really had a chance with the ridiculous film.
  • 1.Alec Trevelyn/006
    2.Renard
    3.Gustav Graves
    4.Eliot Carver
    5.Xenia Onatopp
    6.Stamper
    7..General Arkadly Ourumov
    8.Zoe
    9.Elektra King
    10.Dr. Kauffman
    11.Mr. Kill
    12.Miranda Frost
    13.Brois Grishenko
    14.Defense Minister Mishken
    15.Cigar Girl
    16.Davidov
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    1.Alec Trevelyn/006
    2.Renard
    3.Gustav Graves
    4.Eliot Carver
    5.Xenia Onatopp
    6.Stamper
    8.Zoe
    9.Elektra King
    10.Dr. Kauffman
    11.Mr. Kill
    12.Miranda Frost
    13.Brois Grishenko
    15.Cigar Girl
    16.Davidov

Who is Zoe?
    And Mishkin isn't a villain. He's the defence minister.

• hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    I'm not that keen on the Brosnan villains to be honest, other than in GoldenEye.

They're just a little... plain and uninspired. Don't you think? Or at least in TND and TWINE. In DAD I think he kinda looks a bit silly.

Seems like they went all-out on the villains in GoldenEye and then let it slip a bit in the later Brosnan films!

Would just be nice to see a bit more charisma and/or class!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 546
    Benny wrote:
    1.Alec Trevelyn/006
    2.Renard
    3.Gustav Graves
    4.Eliot Carver
    5.Xenia Onatopp
    6.Stamper
    8.Zoe
    9.Elektra King
    10.Dr. Kauffman
    11.Mr. Kill
    12.Miranda Frost
    13.Brois Grishenko
    15.Cigar Girl
    16.Davidov

Who is Zoe?

You don't know who Zoe is??? Zoe (Rick Yune) was the main Bond Henchman in Die Another Day & technically Mishkin is a Bond villian. And I know he is Defense Minister. Hence the reason I wrote that before his first name. LOL!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Alec Trevelyn/006
    Eliot Carver
    Xenia Onatopp
    Stamper
    Elektra King
    Dr. Kauffman
    Cigar Girl

Sorry to buck the "I hate Brosnan, his films, and even his villains" trend, but my list above are the ones I really like a lot. :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote:
    1.Alec Trevelyn/006
    2.Renard
    3.Gustav Graves
    4.Eliot Carver
    5.Xenia Onatopp
    6.Stamper
    8.Zoe
    9.Elektra King
    10.Dr. Kauffman
    11.Mr. Kill
    12.Miranda Frost
    13.Brois Grishenko
    15.Cigar Girl
    16.Davidov

Who is Zoe?

You don't know who Zoe is??? Zoe (Rick Yune) was the main Bond Henchman in Die Another Day & technically Mishkin is a Bond villian. And I know he is Defense Minister. Hence the reason I wrote that before his first name. LOL!

You mean Zao.
    I don't consider Mishkin a Bond villain. He is merely lead to believe Bond is an enemy of Russia. Duped by Ouromov, and ultimately murdered by the corrupt General.
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/villains/index.php3

You can see the full list of Mi6 Villains and Henchmen in the link above.

;)
  • I thought all the Bond villains during the Brosnan years were so... vanilla. Very, very weak showing.

1. Elektra/Renard
    2. Alec
    3. Carver (he's so forgettable I actually forgot who Jonathan Pryce played)
    4. Graves (#3's explanation should clue you in on how much I hate Toby Stephens' performance)

While 006 was more in the vein of the typical Bond villains, I liked Elektra & Renard better. One of the only times we have two main villains.