The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Sark wrote: »
    Regarding the tell in the poker game: Vesper told Le Chiffre that Bond knew his tell ("that twitch he has to hide when he's bluffing"), she disnt tell le Chiffre Bond's tell (how would she know?).That's why after than hand le Chiffre says "you must have thought I was bluffing."

Regarding the timeline between CR and QoS: it could have taken Bond two years to catch Mr white. That would explain both the dates on the phone and the invite and the "ten minute gap" between the final scene of CR and the PTS of QoS.

Random question: does Bond have a tell in CR?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,044
    Regarding Mathis and Vesper during the dinner scene in CR it is at least explained in the book as Mathis would contact both Bond and Vesper in a case like that and not just one of them.

Regarding the time-span, remember that Bond had to recover from the torture/car-crash him and Vesper spends significant time together too. In the book it is at least suggested that they spend a good month nurturing their relationship. So between the actual poker-game and the beginning of QoS it may at least had gone by 4-5 months.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,138
    MrBond wrote: »
    Regarding Mathis and Vesper during the dinner scene in CR it is at least explained in the book as Mathis would contact both Bond and Vesper in a case like that and not just one of them.

Regarding the time-span, remember that Bond had to recover from the torture/car-crash him and Vesper spends significant time together too. In the book it is at least suggested that they spend a good month nurturing their relationship. So between the actual poker-game and the beginning of QoS it may at least had gone by 4-5 months.

Yes but Maths is taken away at Lake como.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't take the suit ordeal into account, though I'm not sure why Tom couldn't just make a suit for Bond that was similar in appearance. The way I see it, the very ending of CR takes place weeks/months after the finale, and QoS picks up right after that. The PTS of QoS can't come months before the events of the rest of the film, as Mr. White is still beaten and bruised looking when we see him at Tosca.

Very good point. I reckon there was more to the PTS originally that was chopped off, as it is a pretty long PTS as it is. Hey you can pick holes in any Bind movie. They are what they are.

There are definitely some inconsistencies that make the die-hard Bond fans who question it (such as us) that much more confused: the year listing on the fundraiser ticket invitation in QoS, the suit change, etc. What I just posted though is how I tend to see it.

Another question I've asked before regarding CR (that I'm sure was answered and my brain failed to retain) is this: after the finale in CR, Bond hangs up with M and is about to put Vesper's bag away. He sees the seashell, and immediately decides to check the phone. Suddenly, a text seem
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    How could she have had the text appear when he next turns it on, though, if he's already been in possession of it since she left the hotel? He even uses it prior to these events to find out that she's meeting Gettler. Thanks for the seashell information, though, that does make sense.
    How could she have had the text appear when he next turns it on, though, if he's already been in possession of it since she left the hotel? He even uses it prior to these events to find out that she's meeting Gettler. Thanks for the seashell information, though, that does make sense.

It's been a few months. I'm not sure an alert goes off I think it's a notepad file on the phone or text draft headed for James. Would need to check again.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't mind the tickets, etc. saying 2008. Bond always takes place in the present.

I suppose she could have had the text delivered on a time delay (knowing that she is going to her death?). I'll admit the texts are one of the weaker elements of CR's plot.
    One thing that has not been considered : what if the PTS of QOS was just a (small) part of a journey that took four hours. We don't know exactly where or when that chase happened, right ? So, the way I see it, Bond shoots nd kidnap white, put him in the Aston Martin's trunk, drives for a while until he's found out by the opposition, the chase happens, and then, when he has managed to get rid of his pursuers, drive some more until he reaches Sienna (presumably while MI6 smoothes things over with the Italian authorities). Could work, couldn't it ?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Why the hell does it sound like the singer of License to Kill is saying "got a license to kilt"? It drives me crazy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Reminds me of how Shirley Bassy says Bangeh bangeh in her version of Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. :))
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Why didn't Necros just grab the net?
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Sark wrote: »
    Why the hell does it sound like the singer of License to Kill is saying "got a license to kilt"? It drives me crazy.

This annoys me every time too. How did they not see this as a problem? I find it impossible to unhear it!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Why didn't Necros just grab the net?

That gets me every time. GRAB THE GODDAMNED NET!
    LOL I know it's a painful one to watch

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Don't forget they're going at least 900km/hr so if he lets one hand go even for a brief moment he wouldn't have the strength to hold on. That's what I always thought.

Either way one of the best scenes in the series
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,570
    What a plonker (sorry, not you w2bond).

Worse still Bond has to go to a nice restaurant in Karachi with one boot on.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,667
    LOL I know it's a painful one to watch

I hadn't noticed before that at 3:23 in that clip you can still see Necros falling away in the distance, when the camera is looking through the cargo net from inside the plane. Look to the bottom right of the screen.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tokoloshe, I actually noticed that for the first time when I saw the film during my latest Bondathon. Never spotted it before, was a nice little addition to his death scene.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited September 2015 Posts: 538
    Would it be cool to hear "007 Theme" again in a Bond movie? I'm not sure how it would fit in a Craig film, but it would be nice to have it back.
    I'm with you. I'd love to have it back. :)
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm with you. I'd love to have it back. :)

A long with the classic movie action cartoon type posters. I wish I knew an artist good enough to do mock ups of this type of movie poster of the Craig films.

2rwn8rk.jpg
    Would it be cool to hear "007 Theme" again in a Bond movie? I'm not sure how it would fit in a Craig film, but it would be nice to have it back.

Funnily enough I was thinking this last night. The last time it appeared was Moonraker.

I don't think the known arrangement works at all with the modern Bond films, but a talented composer would surely (?) be able to rework it and include it somewhere in the score. I'd love to hear it again if it fitted the scene.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I read that there were copyrights issues with the Barry estate that prevent the use of the 007 theme, as EON would have to pay extra money, but surely-if they can use snippets from OHMSS in the Spectre trailer, they can also use the 007 theme?
    I read that there were copyrights issues with the Barry estate that prevent the use of the 007 theme, as EON would have to pay extra money, but surely-if they can use snippets from OHMSS in the Spectre trailer, they can also use the 007 theme?

Was the intellectual copyright not Monty Normans and is it not Public Domain after 50 years leaving it free to be re-recorded?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Monty Norman got the credits for The James Bond Theme. The 007 Theme is all Barry.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,667

Was the intellectual copyright not Monty Normans and is it not Public Domain after 50 years leaving it free to be re-recorded?

I think you're thinking of the Bond theme itself. The track entitled "007" is different:

This is the "007" Theme.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

50 years after what? As far as I know, a work enters public domain 70 years after its author's death in Europe and 95 years after its publication date in the USA.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Who is responsible for the fabrication of folders/pictures/papers seen in a Bond film?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The prop department