could skyfall turn out as another DAD

edited December 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 12,837
I was just thinking back to around ten years ago. It was a happier time, justin bieber hadn't been heard of, katie price and kerry katona weren't all over the TV, 007 nightfire (AKA the best game of all time) was released, and DAD was close to coming out at the cinema.

This is where the thread comes from really. I remember ten years ago all the bond fans were all worked up and excited, alot of people thought since it was the anniversary and it has been 3 years since the last one, that EON would've put a ton of work in and DAD would be the best film ever. Then the film came out and it was a massive let down (QOS was also a let down but not as bad as this), and a crap final film for one of the best bonds of all time (brosnan deserved better, I would've rather he ended on TWINE, that was great so he would have gone out on a high imo).

Fast forward to 2011. And everybody is expecting skyfall to be awesome, just like they were with DAD. Now I will admit that skyfall has a better cast and director, and will definetly be alot more realistic then DAD, and its looking alot better than DAD, but this year, im not gonna get my hopes up, just in case.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Actually DAD is an excellent film, a near masterpiece next to the last 2 films (and TWINE)... So yes I'd gladly take Craig's DAD or even his MR over another CR.
  • Actually DAD is an excellent film, a near masterpiece next to the last 2 films (and TWINE)... So yes I'd gladly take Craig's DAD or even his MR over another CR.
    DAD sucks I cant believe CR is worst than that.....DAD is so bad and you like it....you really hate Craig.......
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Having hated GE, TND and TWINE with a passion I wholeheartedly expected DAD to be complete and utter drivel. I wasn't disappointed.

Having loved CR and QOS with a passion I wholeheartedly expect SF (the return of Q notwithstanding) to be completely and utterly wonderful. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Only time will tell.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I was just thinking back to around ten years ago. It was a happier time, justin bieber hadn't been heard of, katie price and kerry katona weren't all over the TV, 007 nightfire (AKA the best game of all time) was released, and DAD was close to coming out at the cinema.

This is where the thread comes from really. I remember ten years ago all the bond fans were all worked up and excited, alot of people thought since it was the anniversary and it has been 3 years since the last one, that EON would've put a ton of work in and DAD would be the best film ever. Then the film came out and it was a massive let down (QOS was also a let down but not as bad as this), and a crap final film for one of the best bonds of all time (brosnan deserved better, I would've rather he ended on TWINE, that was great so he would have gone out on a high imo).

Fast forward to 2011. And everybody is expecting skyfall to be awesome, just like they were with DAD. Now I will admit that skyfall has a better cast and director, and will definetly be alot more realistic then DAD, and its looking alot better than DAD, but this year, im not gonna get my hopes up, just in case.

considering the grounded approach they are taking with these films, its doubtful..... but anything is possible.

• Actually DAD is an excellent film, a near masterpiece next to the last 2 films (and TWINE)... So yes I'd gladly take Craig's DAD or even his MR over another CR.

Aaarrrggg... my heart!!! (dies)
    I'm not expecting 'awesomeness' from Skyfall but I'm cautiously optimistic that it has the potential to become a fine flick and a definite improvement over QOS (which I enjoyed, only not as much as I wanted to). I'm not one of those miserable pretentious types that can't stop to wail over the series and how much better and truer to Fleming they would do if they got a chance. I see some shortcomings in recent films, no doubt Skyfall will also have a few. But overall I enjoy the ride so far and I'm open to another good adventure of my favourite secret agent.
  • i will hope and pray for the best but expect the worst
  • Did I miss something? Why are we thinking this movie will be bad? It's going to be AWESOME
    I think Babs and Michael have learned from the mistakes they made in DAD, although I still believe there are SOME good, nay inspired, bits in that film (ducks). They include:
    -Bond with the revolver
    -Bond pulling the wire out of the security camera
    -Bond squeezing Zao's drip
    -Walking into the hotel
    -Putting on the sunglasses in the PTS
    -the swordfight
    -trying to kill Miranda when he finds out she is a baddie

Back to SF, I doubt it will be another DAD. Sam Mendes is directing it for christ sake so I don't think he's going to be interested in clouding the film with constant nods to previous outings. He's already said that there's going to be "lots of suprises" so one should expect a competantly made thriller.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Did I miss something? Why are we thinking this movie will be bad? It's going to be AWESOME

@DaltonCraig007 and @Shark must've put something in the water lol.

It's going to be AWESOME

Thats what people said before DAD (20th Bond movie, 40th anniversary) came out ;)

• BAIN123 wrote:
    It's going to be AWESOME

Thats what people said before DAD (20th Bond movie, 40th anniversary) came out ;)

exactly, thats why im not getting my hopes up
    Like everyone I hope its going to be a good film and with a man like Mendes at the helm my expectations are high. I'm just weary about going into the "its gonna be the best Bond film ever" routine.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited December 2011 Posts: 3,262

If SF did turn out to be another DAD, it would still be an improvement over QOS.
    Actually DAD is an excellent film, a near masterpiece next to the last 2 films (and TWINE)... So yes I'd gladly take Craig's DAD or even his MR over another CR.

Craig's MR? I like the way you think, DC007.

• It won't be another Die Another Day-- that would be like making Batman & Robin twice
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Craig's MR? I like the way you think, DC007.

Moore in TMWTGG was much closer to Fleming than Craig in CR, so I'd even give Craig his TMWTGG - 200% more fun than CR, and also 200% more Fleming. And even Brosnan in DAD was very Flemingesque, so I think Craig would be in his prime in a DAD-type outing. Brosnan was smug and ruthless in DAD, much more serious than what he had done before. So not only would a DAD make Craig more Fleming, but it would also be a trillion times more fun. IMO I'd mix DAF's humour, with MR's epicness and TMWTGG's pure Fleming Bond performance, and it would be the definitive outing for Craig.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Probably not. In all likelihood, it has the potential to be TWINE 2.0, which would be an even greater folly. That said, I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Skyfall will go the distance. I expect it to match or exceed CR in my top spot of Bond films. If a film could do it, it's this one. The plot, actors involved, and Mendes have me pumped and Craig is finally back and excited like all of us. I think this is going be a biggy!!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    DC007 you are such a card!

Well let's see

Director
    DAD- Lee Tamahori- Basically an unkown at the time. Only good film "Once Were Warriors"
    SF- Sam Mendes- Oscar winning director- Good films "American Beauty", "Road to Perdition", "Away We Go", "Jarhead" is a decent film and I never saw "Revolutionary Road"
    Winner: Skyfall

Writers
    DAD- Purvis and Wade. Did well on TWINE (for the most part in my opinion), not much else to their name. DAD was mostly well written, the script was not at fault for the final film.
    SF: Purvis and Wade- Did some great work on CR. John Logan- Gladiator, Sweeney Todd, Hugo, many more.
    Winner: Skyfall

I have more faith in Skyfall than i would have for DAD (if I were following it at the time). I think everyone's heart is in this film and it will turn out great. Also I don't think big names like Bardem would of signed on if the script and vision weren't all top notch
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,399
    i've learned the hard lesson with film, that if you set your expectations too high, 99% of the time they are never met...

so when seeing a film for the first time now, as i've had for years (since my late teenager days) I try to view it with a clean slate as best as I can... if I am going to a theater and paying money to see it, obviously I am at least hoping to get my money's worth...

with each new Bond adventure that comes out, there is that optimism, that one could equate to being a child and waking up on Christmas morning, and rushing down to the tree to see what kind of new toys you've been bestowed with by Jolly Ol' St. Nick ....... sometimes you get the Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle... other times you get a pink bunny suit...

Skyfall has built up an impressive cast, and an equally impressive crew - with all of them nodding over questions about the script like a club of "Yes" men, I hope that their honesty is valid, and not just pseudo optimism..

behind all that babble - i am looking forward to Skyfall, but have learn to never get my hopes up. lol
    ^ Same here. Ultimately, as Alfred Hitchcock said, "its only a movie". If its a disappointment it isnt the end of the world.
    I doubt it very much. SF has too much going for it to be a complete disaster. It might fall short of expectations but I have a good feeling about it. I think it will be somewhere in between CR and QoS on overall audience exceptance.
    Nah, it looks really promising. I doubt it'll be like Die Another Day. Plus, it's the 50th Anniversary, and someone would be crazy not to go all out and make SF the coolest Bond movie ever, but then again that's already been done with GoldenEye!
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 7,653
    Well it could be worse, it could be another QoS. :((
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,945
    I think it's safe to say SF will be a great improvement on DAD and QOS, no matter how much I enjoyed them. Craig and Mendes are on a journey to find the perfect Bond film, right? And given it's a never-ending journey (because there's no such thing as perfect), I think they'll still find something valuable on the way. Like many here, I don't want my hopes to be shot down, so I'll just lower them a bit so they at least get a soft landing, just in case.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Add the fact, the 'perfect Bond film' won't be found and both may return for another outing, again giving us hope of a great film. There could be great times ahead, just around the corner. Don't get too excited just yet but things do look positive to me.
    I learned from QoS (which had a decent script), that the editor can ruin the entire movie for me. So if SF has the best script, the best director, the best action and so forth, but is edited in the same way, it'll probably be a letdown.
    Zekidk wrote:
    I learned from QoS (which had a decent script), that the editor can ruin the entire movie for me. So if SF has the best script, the best director, the best action and so forth, but is edited in the same way, it'll probably be a letdown.

it was edited to the director's specifications... every film is..

no editor has free reign over a movie in post.
    Yes, but if Foster had worked with another editor than Richard Pearson - the editor behind the Bourne 3 mess - we would have ended up with an entirely different result!