Double bills.

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,189
Has any1 ever tried watching 2 Bond films in a row. Each from different era's? Has it made you rethink your views on certain films?

I tried it today. Rewatched TB first and TND straight after, the former won out as the better film by far.

It's certainly an interesting thing to do at least once.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've never done this though many on here I think have. I'll try it one day though I'd guess you'd always have a clear 'winner' as the films are from such different eras.
    I've never done this either, as far as I can remember. I usually watch one and then wait about five to seven days before watching another. If I do decide to though, I'd probably like to watch DN and FRWL, or TSWLM and TLD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't mind double billing Bonds at home. Usually these combinations work fine for me:
    • DN & FRWL
    • TSWLM & MR
    • CR & QoS (obviously...)
    • TLD & LTK
    • GF & TB
    • TND & DAD (perhaps an odd choice, I don't know)
    I was thinking more of films that perhaps don't go together quite as easily.

Films from very different periods.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Here's some from different eras that might work as double features:

OHMSS/CR
    FRWL/TLD
    YOLT/OP
    TMWTGG/GE
    TB/MR
    TSWLM/TND
    Here are some good ones I thought of:

From the same era:

Dr. No/From Russia with Love
    Thunderball/On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Goldfinger/You Only Live Twice
    Live and Let Die/The Man with the Golden Gun
    The Spy Who Loved Me/Moonraker

Different eras:
    Live and Let Die/License to Kill
    For Your Eyes Only/GoldenEye
    The Spy Who Loved Me/Tomorrow Never Dies
    From Russia with Love/On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I should try this sometime with FRWL and CR. Those two scamps are always fighting for my top spot. Even TB is missing me. Always been a big favorite of mine and FRWL and it battle often in my listings.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,762
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: That'd be a nice pair! I'll have to add that to my list.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    GF/OHMSS
    DAF/TLD
    CR/TND
    TB/TMWTGG
    FRWL/OP
    YOLT/MR
  • I don't mind double billing Bonds at home. Usually these combinations work fine for me:
    • DN & FRWL
    • TSWLM & MR
    • CR & QoS (obviously...)
    • TLD & LTK
    • GF & TB
    • TND & DAD (perhaps an odd choice, I don't know)
    With the exception of that last one those are definatly the pairs that work best together.
    done it plenty of times, watched a Moore release again recently and a Craig effort the day before, obviously the times of the settings, and what's available are chalk and cheese but at the end of the day it's still Bond on a mission

Apparently some have claimed to watch the entire franchise from start to finish back to back with no breaks, fifty hours or so of just putting in Doctor No and so on until QOS, most probably for charity events, or just maybe they were mere enthusiasts a few fries short of a happy meal

Yeah, I watch 007 but not to that extent

The Spy Who Loved Me and Tomorrow Never Dies could work really well; both are water-based Bond adventures, both have a villain pitting two countries against each other with missiles involved, both have Bond side-by-side with a female agent of the opposite government.
    One that worked surprisingly well for me not too long ago was Dr. No and Moonraker. Both have a space-related plot, so I decided to watch them back to back, having felt in the "space mood" that day.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I never tried before and I think I should do it ! Great idea ! Both, from the same era and from different eras are interesting.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 16
    This was my plan the next time I watch the series:

DN/LALD
    FRWL/FYEO
    GF/VTAK
    TB/NSNA
    YOLT/TND
    OHMSS/TWINE
    DAF/DAD
    MWGG/OP
    SWLM/MR
    LD/LTK
    GE/SF
    CR/QOS
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My suggestion is OHMSS then FYEO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A few weeks ago I played CR, QoS, and SF, all in a row. I had a great time doing it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    A few weeks ago I played CR, QoS, and SF, all in a row. I had a great time doing it.
    Do you not understand the concept of 'double bill?' :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Do you not understand the concept of 'double bill?' :))

I meant to add more, but I'm a bit tipsy tonight, :)).

My favorite double bill is CR and QoS, I only added that I watched SF a few weeks ago with both of them because I was proud of managing even three in a row in one day. But yes, the main one I usually do is CR and QoS. I've done DN and FRWL back-to-back before, as well.
    Birdleson wrote:
    After watching them in order many times, I'm ready to start mixing it up. I'll read through this for some ideas.

Try and go with two polar opposites, like DN and QoS.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Good pair!!
    :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Good pair!!
    :)>-

Thank you! I think that would make for an interesting viewing, or even DN (to start at the beginning) and SF (to end at the 50 year anniversary).
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I find watching MR and DAD back to back great for catching up on sleep.

Or tormenting myself.
    Kerim wrote:

Or tormenting myself.

Or both, seeing how long you can withstand physical and emotional pain as you desperately attempt to sleep?
    Kerim wrote:
    IMHO, both have energy and both have a certain style. Neither are conducive to sleep, but to being pissed off in one way or another... ;)
    Birdleson wrote:
    They are the two lowest in my rankings. With OP right in there with them.
    I must now challenge you to singular combat.
    :P
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    or even DN (to start at the beginning) and SF (to end at the 50 year anniversary).
    Yeah that would be good, DN backed with SF. How the series started and where it's at now.

I know a lot of you dismiss NSNA, but I love it- and could easily watch a double bill of TB and NSNA.
    Believe it or not, The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights makes for a fairly great double bill! There's not necessarily any similiarity between the two, but on an entertainment basis, you won't be disappointed.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    This was my plan the next time I watch the series:
    DN/LALD
    Yeah, I've always wanted to try that one. Both are smaller in scale and have Bond investigating the death of a British agent in the Caribbean. Plus the Quarrel and Quarrel Jr. connection.

chrisisall wrote:
    My suggestion is OHMSS then FYEO.
    I love that particular double billing even though it's not the greatest end for Blofeld. You really do get a great perspective of younger and older Bond. The graveyard scene is very powerful and touching when you see it immediately after OHMSS.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    OHMSS/FYEO
    YOLT/MR
    TLD/DAD
    LTK/GE
    DN/CR
    pachazo wrote:
    I love that particular double billing even though it's not the greatest end for Blofeld. You really do get a great perspective of younger and older Bond. The graveyard scene is very powerful and touching when you see it immediately after OHMSS.

It's the pseudo sequel to OHMSS we should have got.