No Time to Die production thread

Comments

Wishing Dan a speedy recovery.
    Nice to have an official update finally. Hoping Craig recovers quick and faces no further setbacks.
    I'm glad EON is being communicative about this. Wish Daniel a speedy recovery.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nice to have an official update finally. Hoping Craig recovers quick and faces no further setbacks.

An official announcement is tantamount to a kiss of death. It merely legitimises the tabloid nonsense.

Also, I don't quite understand the history of this injury.
    1. He got it in Jamaica some time before 10 May
    2. They return to Pinewood and word breaks that Craig is injured on 13 May.
    3. We then hear on 16 May that the injury is not serious and he'll be back at Pinewood this week.
    4. Now we hear he will have surgery and be out of action for two weeks.

What's happening here? I suspect the injury was actually more severe than they first thought in the middle of last week.

Interestingly, Eon had a very very very very similar problem on The Rhythm Section when Blake Lively got injured. She was fine for a few days after her injury, only for doctors to realise how serious it was, forcing Eon to shut down

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/917809-blake-lively-film-the-rhythm-section-shuts-down-production

Eon's statement at the time:

Hiatus on the production of The Rhythm Section has been extended due to an ongoing issue with Blake Lively’s hand injury sustained while filming an action sequence on the action thriller at the end of last year.”

That film's production got pushed back 6 months and the release date got delayed by close to 8 months
    You can pretty much guarantee their gonna make Craig sit out of more action and use more stunt doubles.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Oof, almost thought we had a delay. I never read a paragraph so fast! Yes, a speedy recovery to our man Dan.
  • manovermanover uk
    Typically after an injury like this they have too wait for the swelling to reduce before making a definate diagnosis.
    Hence the delay in announcement
    It will be mainly non Bond scenes and 2nd unit work that will be done in those works then.
    I know EON hates doing things like this, but kudos to them for giving us a real update. It will certainly shut up some of the tabloids
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Not concerned. And surely he got appropriate first aid immediately, and follow up care. The decision for surgery not undertaken on a whim. He'll be fine. Ankles take time, but they can film now without him. When back, he can have it wrapped for protection. He underwent knee surgery for Spectre, didn't he? I'm glad we have the information, but I'm not going to pick apart when it happened, why we were told this or that and now told this, etc. I don't care what the tabloids will make of it; they do their own evil, all the time and I try to tune them out. I trust Daniel has been taken good care of all along.
    manover wrote: »
    Typically after an injury like this they have too wait for the swelling to reduce before making a definate diagnosis.
    Hence the delay in announcement

True. That's why statements re. football injuries are often released days after the injury took place, as an example.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    As of last Friday, Malek was in NYC.
    Got to say no wonder DC wants to stop playing the role. He is always getting hurt.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Got to say no wonder DC wants to stop playing the role. He is always getting hurt.

Poppycock.

Moore got hurt, as did Brosnan. It comes with the role.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    echo wrote: »

Poppycock.

Moore got hurt, as did Brosnan. It comes with the role.

The tabloids hurt the most.
    I think it's also important to look back on some of the reactions on this thread to what was, at the time, tabloid reports of Craig's injury. There were people here suggesting it was barely a scratch and that Craig would press on regardless. Osteo surgery - even minor - is still serious and indicates that the injury wasn't anything to sneeze at.

It seems that it's equally dangerous to assume that everything in the tabloids is true or that it's all false.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 3,333
    I have to agree with @octofinger on this one. I thought some of you were far too quick to bash the tabloids for muckraking in the misguided belief that they somehow wanted to derail B25 by the spreading of malicious rumours, especially now that the injury turns out to be true and it did curtail Craig's participation in the production. Maybe a wait-and-see approach is better than firing off a quick response and filling these forums with unnecessary vitriol?

Yes, you're right @echo. Roger Moore revealed how his bottom caught fire while filming TSWLM on BBC Radio 4’s Reunion programme with John Glen.

https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746359/Ow-ow-seven-Roger-Moore-reveals-bottom-caught-fire-filming-James-Bond-movie.html
  • I'm of the opinion Eons statement was to begrudgingly counteract the press speculation, rather than confirm it wholly. Injury - yes. Operation - yes. As severe as its been made out to be - no. Delay - no.

Like others I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. And the fact filming is still going on in Jamaica, in particular filming an action piece (despite what the naysayers were spreading gloom over barely a week ago) is a hugely positive sign for me. It all looks like it'll be an incredibly photogenic film :)
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,400
    The injury is actually rather good PR for the film. Suddenly the narrative around the recalcitrant and reluctant Craig becomes more focused on his commitment.

For some reason the press and public love it when movie stars get injured doing their own stunts. Basically, the whole of Fallout's marketing campaign focused on Cruise's injury. Even now I get giddy watching that scene knowing the drama it....so there is clearly something about our prurient desire to see pain inflicted on film stars. Though I suspect we enjoy these stories as it shows commitment from the actors.

The question is what happens now in the interim......I imagine they will either rejig the schedule to film sequences not involving Bond. However, that'll be a big task.

Barbara worked v hard to accommodate Craig's injury for Spectre - I believe he needed surgery before the Mexico filming there as well.......
    I'm of the opinion Eons statement was to begrudgingly counteract the press speculation, rather than confirm it wholly. Injury - yes. Operation - yes. As severe as its been made out to be - no. Delay - no.

Like others I'm hoping for a speedy recovery. And the fact filming is still going on in Jamaica, in particular filming an action piece (despite what the naysayers were spreading gloom over barely a week ago) is a hugely positive sign for me. It all looks like it'll be an incredibly photogenic film :)

I just don't understand the timing.

First unit filming finished on 10 May 2019 in Jamaica. Reports of Craig's injury first surfaced on 13 May 2019. Now we get word on 22 May 2019 that he will get surgery (suggesting the surgery has yet to take place) and requires an additional 2 weeks to recover......

That means it has been almost two weeks since his injury. What happened in that time? Clearly they were shut down on the 13 May 2019 and they will be shut down for a further two weeks. Does this mean Craig won't resume filming till 6 June 2019? That's almost a month of Craig being off set.

Remember, this is a James Bond film and he is James Bond. This seems worrying....there is always the second unit and other actors having scenes, but Daniel will be in 90% of this film.
    What happened in that time?

They had to wait for the ankle to swell down to make a proper diagnosis and then intervene. Common practice.

But I am worried, nonetheless. Even because pain meds and rest won't do wonders to his physical condition and appearance.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Univex wrote: »

They had to wait for the ankle to swell down to make a proper diagnosis and then intervene. Common practice.

But I am worried, nonetheless. Even because pain meds and rest won't do wonders to his physical condition and appearance.

What kind of scenes Craig has up next is a factor, I guess. If they'll shoot scenes like meeting M or similar, that won't put too much strain on his ankle.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Can we please put his ankle injury to rest, filming is not delayed, the release date isn't either.
    Univex wrote: »

This is a reasonable assumption, but an assumption nonetheless. I'll be very curious to read about this production years from now. . .
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2019 Posts: 8,009
    bondsum wrote: »
    I have to agree with @octofinger on this one. I thought some of you were far too quick to bash the tabloids for muckraking in the misguided belief that they somehow wanted to derail B25 by the spreading of malicious rumours, especially now that the injury turns out to be true and it did curtail Craig's participation in the production. Maybe a wait-and-see approach is better than firing off a quick response and filling these forums with unnecessary vitriol?

This is an unfair assessment of what the negative responses were actually a reaction to, though. It was more than just the ankle injury.

It was also (in fact, I'd say moreso) in response Craig being problematic and uncommitted to the role, the crew being unhappy, Fukanaga and Craig not getting on, the script clearly being a shambles because they had to hire PWB and PWB turning the film into a feminist film despite her allegedly only spicing up dialogue...

The tabloid topic had many other variables than just the ankle injury, so it would be equally important for everyone to remember that.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 3,497

This is an unfair assessment of what the negative responses were actually a reaction to, though. It was more than just the ankle injury.

It was also (in fact, I'd say moreso) in response Craig being problematic and uncommitted to the role, the crew being unhappy, Fukanaga and Craig not getting on, the script clearly being a shambles because they had to hire PWB and PWB turning the film into a feminist film despite her allegedly only spicing up dialogue...

The tabloid topic had many other variables than just the ankle injury, so it would be equally important for everyone to remember that.

According to people like Bondsum, the tabloid's constant exaggeration of "issues" during Craig's era should be taken for granted just because it concerns an actor they don't like.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,400
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Can we please put his ankle injury to rest, filming is not delayed, the release date isn't either.

Hmmm......have you read the Eon statement? Production is still underway, however Craig is out of action for two weeks and he has already missed a two weeks.

Therefore, Craig will miss a month of filming.

This is the news that is currently emerging. Basically Bond 25 will have a much more compressed post-production schedule than usual.

Its really incumbent on Fukunaga to shoot as much as possible around Crag's injury now. I hope they use this gap properly. In 2015 whilst filming Spectre, Craig also had to take a beak due to knee surgery:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32189448

They were 4 months into shooting then. n this case, we are only 2-3 weeks in..........................................................................
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I have to agree with @octofinger on this one. I thought some of you were far too quick to bash the tabloids for muckraking in the misguided belief that they somehow wanted to derail B25 by the spreading of malicious rumours
    Heh, it's the Sun themselves who kept spraying false news in the years, thus earning their reputation of unreliability.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2019 Posts: 8,009

This is the news that is currently emerging. Basically Bond 25 will have a much more compressed post-production schedule than usual.

Its really incumbent on Fukunaga to shoot as much as possible around Crag's injury now.

There's absolutely no way you can say this for certain. And, keeping in mind we're still eleven months out from release, it's extremely unlikely.

Even if Craig (and as such the production) missed another full month and they didn't shoot anything til the end of June, Bond 25 would still then have one of the longest production/post-schedules of recent entries with a month of shooting down (give or take) and ten to go from June til release.

We're not at the point where post-production is under threat of rush, yet.

But yes, of course I also hope that they maximise the time.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Hmmm......have you read the Eon statement? Production is still underway, however Craig is out of action for two weeks and he has already missed a two weeks.

Therefore, Craig will miss a month of filming.

Its really incumbent on Fukunaga to shoot as much as possible around Crag's injury now. I hope they use this gap properly. In 2015 whilst filming Spectre, Craig also had to take a beak due to knee surgery:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32189448

They were 4 months into shooting then. n this case, we are only 2-3 weeks in..........................................................................

Dear God, why do I even bother.
    Wishing DC a speedy recovery!!!