No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited May 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Meanwhile, filming in Jamaica continues.....

I'm unsure if Craig has had the surgery yet or not, but he seems able to walk on his ankle. Although he looks to be struggling and holding the door frame. I suspect we will know by mid-June if he is back. Sadly it's the waiting game till then.

I'd suggest the timeframe we should look at is Eon's other big production, The Rhythm Section:
    1. 3 DECEMBER 2018: Blake Lively injuries her hand and production halted. Eon release a press state: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/907067-blake-lively-injured-on-the-set-of-the-rhythm-section
    2. 29 JANUARY 2019: The injury is so serious that they suspend filming altogether. Read Eon's statement here: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/917809-blake-lively-film-the-rhythm-section-shuts-down-production
    That's almost 8 weeks......production didn't restart till June 2018 and the release date moved from March 2019 to November 2019.

The big difference I suppose is that production hasn't been halted or suspended. In Rhythm Section's case, they had to suspend filming as soon as the injury happened. They shut down because they couldn't afford to keep the crew on retained for an indefinite amount of time.

It's slightly different. But now it seems that Daniel will miss one month of a six month shoot, the thought of shutting down filming is probably running through Eon's mind.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Dear lord ... Ana is so beautiful - I am sure she‘ll top many fans‘ Bond girl rankings. Still happy about her casting.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »
    Ohh, Ana is traininig? Hope she gets some action in the film.
    I certainly hope so too.
    giphy.gif

That's a different kind of action :))

=)) So my kind of sense of humour!!!! :-bd :))

Haha
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,291
    VG have posted a short video interview with the guy who happened to be in Jamaica when they filmed the action sequence featuring the sea plane. Nothing new here really, but in the video interview you also see the same sequence being filmed, but a different take by the looks of it - and in better quality than the one from Filmweb.no. Worth a watch.

https://www.vgtv.no/video/177856/james-bond-eksplosjon-rett-foran-oeynene-paa-thomas

Also, note that this clip of the explosion is dated May 20.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,400
    VG have posted a short video interview with the guy who happened to be in Jamaica when they filmed the action sequence featuring the sea plane. Nothing new here really, but in the video interview you also see the same sequence being filmed, but a different take by the looks of it - and in better quality than the one from Filmweb.no. Worth a watch.

https://www.vgtv.no/video/177856/james-bond-eksplosjon-rett-foran-oeynene-paa-thomas

That sky!!!!! No wonder Fukunaga hired Linus Sandgren. Both clearly love the magic hour.

1b2ff0de394c3fbfc44ecdb832ff77a8.gif

VapidMarvelousCollie-size_restricted.gif

lalaland-whistling.jpg

Also, a costume designer on Bond 25 was working on the film yesterday.More signs that production goes on in spite of Craig's injury. Check out her Instagram:

• edited May 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Could Craig's injury make Eon less enthusiastic about using Craig for some of the action in Bond 25? What I mean is, if they and the director have planned various scenes with Craig - close up shots of him in action, stuff storyboarded - perhaps they'll reconsider and use stuntmen? I don't think this will impact the quality of the film. Roger Moore was known for letting his stuntmen do a lot of his action. We still believed he was Bond! I don't think it's a big deal but Craig may do less of the action because of his injury? It's possible.
    The big difference I suppose is that production hasn't been halted or suspended. In Rhythm Section's case, they had to suspend filming as soon as the injury happened. They shut down because they couldn't afford to keep the crew on retained for an indefinite amount of time.

It's slightly different. But now it seems that Daniel will miss one month of a six month shoot, the thought of shutting down filming is probably running through Eon's mind.

I mentioned in a previous post, they could revert back to a winter release date. That would allow a big gap if Craig's injury is worse than expected. Going with an April release is a bit risky in terms of potential box office. I'm sure Bond 25 will do well in April but since Goldeneye we've had winter releases and they've all brought in the big box office. Bond 25 winter 2020 wouldn't be a huge surprise to me if there is a bit of a production delay.

fanbond123 wrote: »
    Could Craig's injury make Eon less enthusiastic about using Craig for some of the action in Bond 25? What I mean is, if they and the director have planned various scenes with Craig - close up shots of him in action, stuff storyboarded - perhaps they'll reconsider and use stuntmen? I don't think this will impact the quality of the film. Roger Moore was known for letting his stuntmen do a lot of his action. We still believed he was Bond! I don't think it's a big deal but Craig may do less of the action because of his injury? It's possible.

I mentioned in a previous post, they could revert back to a winter release date. That would allow a big gap if Craig's injury is worse than expected. Going with an April release is a bit risky in terms of potential box office. I'm sure Bond 25 will do well in April but since Goldeneye we've had winter releases and they've all brought in the big box office. Bond 25 winter 2020 wouldn't be a huge surprise to me if there is a bit of a production delay.

I have to disagree with you on the point about Roger Moore. Roger Moore's stuntmen needed equal star billing with him. He wasn't convincing in the action and often the use of stunt doubles was painfully obvious.

But you make a good point. Eon will be less keen to put Craig in the action, especially if stuntmen can be used. So don't expect anything like CR or QOS with the fights........................................Remember the WHOLE of the Mexico City scenes were reimagined after Craig had ankle surgery in 2015. We were getting a more intense chase through the parade, however Mendes was forced to make it more of a cat-and-mouse sequence.

Also, in respect to your second point: the Easter 2020 release is a gift from Universal. Bond has the weekend and practically the month it itself. It's a very lucrative weekend.

November 2020 is already overstuffed. If Eon loose April 2020, they'll be kicking themselves. There is virtually zero competition in a very busy frame.

Essentially, all other studios veered clear of April 2020 as Universal's Fast & Furious 9 got delayed and had to sacrifice the date. Therefore, opposed to leave a big juicy weekend without a project they moved Bond out of the more risky February slot to a much more tantalising April release.

Eon must have licked their lips with glee when they got that call; no wonder they were so "thrilled". They'd only sacrifice that date, if they have no choice.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Good thing the Internet did not exist (at least not publicly) in 1962.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    We're focusing far too much on an ankle injury, that we know very little actual information about.
    At present filming is not behind schedule. Second unit is obviously working on set pieces for the Jamaican shoot. Until more news is forthcoming, nothing is factual. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

That sky!!!!! No wonder Fukunaga hired Linus Sandgren. Both clearly love the magic hour.

Certainly looks that way! I hope this means we'll get a vibrant looking Bond film again. SF/SP was too grey and/or filter-heavy for my liking.

The guy who filmed these clips also says it's been "popcorn time on the foredeck every evening", which might be further indication of the importance of filming this sequence at this specific time of the day.
    I'm also no doctor, but I've had some significant experience with ankle injuries and the wording of the EON release sounds a bit familiar.

I'd certainly lean toward the guess that the surgery's purpose is more about resolving "damage" vs "injury" especially if the timeframe is that tight. A number of years ago, I had one particularly bad snap/sprain of the ankle while running in the water across what I thought was a relatively safe sand dune. I was on a school trip at the time, and bringing it to a halt or heading home for significant medical attention wasn't really in the cards. (Probably not a good call, in retrospect).

Long story short, I hobbled around on it for a number of days until it eventually "healed" within about a week. It was only years later during a separate examination that it was discovered I had bone chips floating about in the ankle, likely resulting from said injury. They don't really compromise me now, but the (second) doctor said it probably would have been ideal to have had them fixed up at the time.

So, I read "minor surgery" (a carefully chosen adjective, no doubt) to possibly be referencing something like that. If Craig's walking without assistance -- as is plainly evident in those photos -- the injury is not a break or even likely a high sprain. Certainly nothing along the severity poor Blake suffered on Rhythm.

It seems to me surgery could be corrective for the current injury, but it's possibly more likely about cleaning up/fixing damage related to it as a preventive measure to ensure he's better able to function throughout the duration of the shoot coming up. Taking the safe bet, if you will: "If we don't fix it now, you might have worse problems later. But there's a window here where sidelining you for 2 weeks to be absolutely sure makes sense, so why not take it?" sort of situation.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I'm also no doctor, but I've had some significant experience with ankle injuries and the wording of the EON release sounds a bit familiar.

I'd certainly lean toward the guess that the surgery's purpose is more about resolving "damage" vs "injury" especially if the timeframe is that tight. A number of years ago, I had one particularly bad snap/sprain of the ankle while running in the water across what I thought was a relatively safe sand dune. I was on a school trip at the time, and bringing it to a halt or heading home for significant medical attention wasn't really in the cards. (Probably not a good call, in retrospect).

Long story short, I hobbled around on it for a number of days until it eventually "healed" within about a week. It was only years later during a separate examination that it was discovered I had bone chips floating about in the ankle, likely resulting from said injury. They don't really compromise me now, but the (second) doctor said it probably would have been ideal to have had them fixed up at the time.

So, I read "minor surgery" (a carefully chosen adjective, no doubt) to possibly be referencing something like that. If Craig's walking without assistance -- as is plainly evident in those photos -- the injury is not a break or even likely a high sprain. Certainly nothing along the severity poor Blake suffered on Rhythm.

It seems to me surgery could be corrective for the current injury, but it's possibly more likely about cleaning up/fixing damage related to it as a preventive measure to ensure he's better able to function throughout the duration of the shoot coming up. Taking the safe bet, if you will: "If we don't fix it now, you might have worse problems later. But there's a window here where sidelining you for 2 weeks to be absolutely sure makes sense, so why not take it?" sort of situation.
    +1
    Yep, exactly the point I made earlier; I think this is very likely the case.

• PavloPavlo Ukraine
    Meanwhile, filming in Jamaica continues.....

I'm unsure if Craig has had the surgery yet or not, but he seems able to walk on his ankle. Although he looks to be struggling and holding the door frame. I suspect we will know by mid-June if he is back. Sadly it's the waiting game till then.

I'd suggest the timeframe we should look at is Eon's other big production, The Rhythm Section:
    1. 3 DECEMBER 2018: Blake Lively injuries her hand and production halted. Eon release a press state: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/907067-blake-lively-injured-on-the-set-of-the-rhythm-section
    2. 29 JANUARY 2019: The injury is so serious that they suspend filming altogether. Read Eon's statement here: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/917809-blake-lively-film-the-rhythm-section-shuts-down-production
    That's almost 8 weeks......production didn't restart till June 2018 and the release date moved from March 2019 to November 2019.

It doesnt mean that filming in Jamaica continues. Knowing filming process of such films, I'm 100% confident that it was shot by Cary itself. So big, visually orientated scene can not be directed by 2nd unit director. No way
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

This man is the same person who filmed shooting of Bond 25 and explosions that were published some time ago. It is 100% material of Cary's shooting.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 7,980
    Not necessarily true, particularly in large films, and films that feature significant action setpieces. The second units do quite a bit, with the second unit director carrying out the director’s vision.
    Pavlo wrote: »

This man is the same person who filmed shooting of Bond 25 and explosions that were published some time ago. It is 100% material of Cary's shooting.

Yes, it's the same guy. Filmweb.no posted the first clips on May 21, and this is just a follow up interview from VG with some more clips.

Edit: He's posted even more on Instagram (this one posted two days ago). Same sequence, but with a few more seconds of content.

Also, is this Bond's boat?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    RW was papped arriving at Heathrow with Jnr. yesterday.

Was it ever confirmed that DC was having surgery in NYC?

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Do we think Bond is piloting the Cessna?
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine

Yes, it's the same guy. Filmweb.no posted the first clips on May 21, and this is just a follow up interview from VG with some more clips.

Edit: He's posted even more on Instagram (this one posted two days ago). Same sequence, but with a few more seconds of content.

I suppose he is publishing material from the end of April - beginning of May.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    jake24 wrote: »
    Do we think Bond is piloting the Cessna?

I think he is in the boat and he could be jailed by Cubans

His own comment on Instagram might contradict this (from the post posted two days ago):

*** SPOILER ALERT 🚨 ***
    When your floating home is in the middle of a #jamesbond movie 🎥Yesterday it was popcorn time, and lots of stunt flying and #pyrotechnics 😎 Crazy feeling as a BIG fan of 007 being in the middle and as close as possible without leaving my home!! Love it
    Other than the producers. Who is the longest serving crew member still working on the Bond movies today?

His own comment on Instagram might contradict this (from the post posted two days ago):

*** SPOILER ALERT 🚨 ***
    When your floating home is in the middle of a #jamesbond movie 🎥Yesterday it was popcorn time, and lots of stunt flying and #pyrotechnics 😎 Crazy feeling as a BIG fan of 007 being in the middle and as close as possible without leaving my home!! Love it

Fukunaga is with the main unit back in Pinewood. These shots are being carried out by the second unit. They are in Jamaica till at least June before going to Norway.

Though people should not be anxious that Fukunaga isn't behind these sequences. The second unit exist as they are experts in executing action sequences and capturing them on film. Something Cary does not have as much technical skill or knowledge about.

However, the sequences are extensively storyboarded prior. Fukunaga will work out the minutiae of the sequences from a creative perspective and be sent the footage immediately. If he liked what he sees, then it's in the film. If not, the second unit go again.

He's the director and it's his creative vision that is being executed. Naturally his skills are in the artistic sphere, not the technical. Hence, his reliance on a second unit.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 7,980

*** SPOILER ALERT 🚨 ***

Fukunaga is with the main unit back in Pinewood. These shots are being carried out by the second unit. They are in Jamaica till at least June before going to Norway.

Though people should not be anxious that Fukunaga isn't behind these sequences. The second unit exist as they are experts in executing action sequences and capturing them on film. Something Cary does not have as much technical skill or knowledge about.

However, the sequences are extensively storyboarded prior. Fukunaga will work out the minutiae of the sequences from a creative perspective and be sent the footage immediately. If he liked what he sees, then it's in the film. If not, the second unit go again.

He's the director and it's his creative vision that is being executed. Naturally his skills are in the artistic sphere, not the technical. Hence, his reliance on a second unit.

Exactly, many people would be shocked at how much of their favorite films, by their favorite directors, was filmed by a second unit.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Dora Murakeozy works as costume designer on the movie since February 2019.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dora-murakeozy-7362b433
    Ervaring
    Costume maker - James Bond 25
    PINEWOOD STUDIOS LIMITED
    februari 2019 – heden 4 maanden
    Iver, UK

*** SPOILER ALERT 🚨 ***

That was my thought as well.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I'm reading this too literally as "shootout in a volcano lair", aren't I? ;)
    The first thing I noticed was that they use Gmail as their email service. No "…@eon.co.uk" or similar…