Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

edited October 2021 in No Time To Die Posts: 4,400
Considering we have a thread devoted to possible gadgets and the villain's plot, it makes sense for us to have a thread dedicated to the actual leading ladies of Bond 25.

Here we can discuss speculation on their characters and generally admire them. Possibly even discuss some of their past work and recommend films?

Before the mods start trying to lock, we have a 'Who should be a Bond girl' thread, but that is dedicated to actresses who could possibly join the film. This is for the actual actresses confirmed.

So they are:
  • Ana De Armas
  • Lashana Lynch
  • Lea Seydoux
  • Naomie Harris

Personally, I hope Ana De Armas has a significant role in the film. She often plays doe-like innocents in other films, so it be great if the film found a way to make her the femme fatale. Though it is looking likely that Lashana is the lead amongst them- possibly even the new 00 agent.

Comments

• edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Naomi and Ana are the only 2 that look like classic Bond actresses. Llashana is frankly not that pretty and Lea has a bit of an off beat indy movie look. Hopefully though they are well cast in terms of their characters. Lea has a lot of work to do after SP. Lashana looks quite physically formidable and strong. I think we can expect her to be involved in the action quite a lot. Maybe she is the rooky MI6 agent.

It feels like Bond has never really found the right black actresses. Apart perhaps from Naomi who as Moneypenny has other qualities. Rosey Carver, Mayday, even Jinx. None of them really work very well or are very convincing.

They say Cubby originally wanted Dianna Ross for the Solitaire role which might have been interesting
    I think Ana De Armas has the capacity to really sell this film.

She's a striking beauty, with those wide doe-like eyes and full lips. She has a certain naivety and vulnerability to her look. I've seen her in Blade Runner 2049 and she plays that kind of character well. However, I really think she has more range and can play more than just innocent. I'd really like the film to make her the femme fatale. I reckon if they include her as the 'bad girl' she could steal the entire movie.

Aside from being beautiful, she's clearly talented and has amassed a enviable list of directors who have hired her recently, including:
    • Denis Villenueve
    • Danny Boyle
    • Olivier Assayas
    • Rian Johnson
    • Andrew Dominik
    • Cary Joji Fukunaga

I mean that is a massively impressive list of filmmakers. Clearly she has something.

I recently saw a short -film/advert she did for Campari that is basically an audition for a Bond girl. you can see it below:

The photos for the campaign are breathtaking. I can imagine her in a Fiona Volpe/Xenia Onatopp style role

ef87664452cb6df23ff39b9272eba369.jpg

8_hd.jpg

ana-de-armas-for-campari-entering-red-promos-2019-7.jpg

Campari_RD19_Entering-Red_BTS-Ana-de-Armas-Kleid-SchwarzWei%C3%9F-1170x823.jpg
    She certainly is stunning!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    My God those photos are enough prove that she was meant to be a bond girl
    I'll be honest I wish Ana was in a central role a la Anya Amasova, but I'm intrigued by what they're going to do with all these girls, I like them all as actresses. I was never a fan of Madeleine but I certainly didn't care for Monaghan's MI character either and she didn't drag down Fallout, so I'm optimistic.
    I'll be honest I wish Ana was in a central role a la Anya Amasova, but I'm intrigued by what they're going to do with all these girls, I like them all as actresses. I was never a fan of Madeleine but I certainly didn't care for Monaghan's MI character either and she didn't drag down Fallout, so I'm optimistic.

Considering the two new roles were described as an 'MI6 agent' and an 'accomplice' (similar to Camille), I'd say it's fairly ambiguous still who will have the 'lead' role still.

Lashana fits the brief for the MI6 agent and Ana's comments about the character suggest that she is the accomplice.

I think Ana's character will be connected to the villain. She'll likely be similar to both Severine and Lucia - a femme fatale who eventually assists Bond before being killed by the villain. Boring, but inevitable.

My hope is that they turn the idea around. Perhaps, Bond thinks Ana's character is helping him. However, in actual fact she's working for Malek. If so, I hope the twist comes early. I'd hate to see some dreadfully telegraphed Miranda Frost-esque twist that doesn't arrive until the end of the second act when it's so painfully obvious that she's a baddie.

Though.....it seems the whole protege/MI6 agent story is coming to fruition with Lashana Lynch. I'm not a fan of her new hair in the film. Though I suspect she'll have a new look with every location. Not too dissimilar to the aforementioned Lupita Nyong'o in Black Panther.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the short hair, loo how good she looks in this video:

• edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Does anyone think there's a possibility that one of the (new) Bond girls is the scientist? I know it seems very unlikely, but it could be a nice contrast to the more generic movie scientist.

Also, the more I think of the synopsis, the more I think of The Ipcress File, which deals with the kidnapping and brainwashing of British scientists.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited May 2019 Posts: 732
    In Ana I trust ... I totally agree to @Pierce2Daniel and she has the potential to steal the show in a good way. Would love to see her in a Fiona Volpe type role. Major casting hit, imho. Hope they writer her part accordingly and don‘t waste the potential.

I like Naomi a lot and though I am not a fan of SP, I like all interactions Bond and Moneypenny have. It‘s a great new twist on the kind of relationship Bond and Moneypenny always had ... some sort of spiced up friendship so to speak.

Both Naomi and Ana I am sure will just great in the movie unless the script ruins it (again).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Mabey even more inportent Bond woman of Bond 25: Phoebe Waller-Bridge

image.jpg

c6d47532db93a8fe2d6a49c96b5d494b

thandie-newton-phoebe-waller-bridge-solo-london-screening-02.jpg

fleabaguse.png

MV5BMDkxODcwNGUtMWMxMy00NWY3LWI1OWYtOWViOTY1N2NlN2QyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyNjk3MzE@._V1_.jpg

actress-phoebe-wallerbridge-from-amazons-fleabag-poses-for-a-portrait-picture-id595227626?s=612x612
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Brilliant actress, writer and comedian. Too young arguably for this Craig Bond now but you could have seen them having great chemistry on screen.
    I've recently started watching Killing Eve, and boy has that got me excited for B25. PWB is someone who has got a clear voice and someone who will bring a lot to this film in strengthening these female characters. I would love to see her continue working with EON beyond B25.
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    M_Balje wrote: »

image.jpg

fleabaguse.png

MV5BMDkxODcwNGUtMWMxMy00NWY3LWI1OWYtOWViOTY1N2NlN2QyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgyNjk3MzE@._V1_.jpg

actress-phoebe-wallerbridge-from-amazons-fleabag-poses-for-a-portrait-picture-id595227626?s=612x612
    She would make a great Q imo....
  • duke_togoduke_togo france
    edited June 2019 Posts: 138
    There are traditional types of characters in any Bond movies: you have the main bad guy, the henchman and the bondgirls -usually two or three- and among them there is (generally) the bad girl (Xenia Onatopp, Fiona Volpe,May Day etc...).
    Until now there is only one recurring and iconic big villain (Blofeld) the same can be say for the henchmen (Jaws); i think imho that the James Bond franchise needs now a recurring bad girl.
    In the first draft of SPECTRE,John Logan wrote the character of CHARLOTTE KING, who seems to be a good candidate for this role, i hope one day the producers will used her in an episode...
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 4,400
    I've recently been doing some Bond 25 research and watching some of the actors' films.

(Firstly, I have to say I was really charmed by Billy Magnussen in Game Night. He's the MVP of that film and really pops. He's hilariously funny and has an infectious puppy-dog enthusiasm. He's a terrific comic actor. Also....Jeffrey Wright cameos in the film and Magnussen even gets a scene kicking his lifeless body. I'm surprised I liked Game Night as much as I did.....)

Now on to Captain Marvel....it's a pretty mediocre and bland Marvel film. Not one of their best by a long shot. However, Lynch gives the standout dramatic performance in her brief scenes. Once all the chases and fireworks have stopped, Lynch gives the film some of the emotional heft it needed.

You hope they add more to the character in future films (there is clearly more than just a friendship hinted at between her and Brie Larson). But I can't help but feel that Lynch gets lumped with a seriously unflattering look in the film which makes her look older.

Despite how good a performance she gives, it didn't exactly scream 'Bond girl' to me......

opw-19135_r-1400x933.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress

Meanwhile.....I watched War Dogs and Ana De Armas (who is used sparingly in that film) really pops on the screen.

war-dogs-mit-ana-de-armas.jpg
    duke_togo wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »

image.jpg

fleabaguse.png

She would make a great Q imo....

Just seen Fleabag. What a brilliantly written piece of comedy drama. And what a performance. She really is worth it. Can't wait to see those dialogues in Bond25.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Apparently Ana De Armas has been cut from Danny Boyle's Yesterday.....I was really looking forward to seeing her in this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_(2019_film)
    x1080
    Weirdly she is in the trailer. I guess they cut the scene.

Meanwhile, she's back in Cuba. Even CJF is liking her photos. Good luck to the man ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2019 Posts: 4,416
    Is also Universal movie, so possible cut to get more effect of here role in Bond 25. If the scene wil not at on the BD release (so that you have the choose to watch or not) mabey her credit wil be removed from imdb. The part on this moment is stil there and also credit as uncredit.

But mabey all talk show scene's are cut, if this whas not only one.
    For plot speculation, it's really sounding like Madeleine's going to get the axe. Maybe she and Bond broke up and he'll "bump into her" somewhere, but with him having been in retirement the past five years I would guess they've been together and she'll die early in the film. We'll see

I could see Ana de Armas as the main Bond Girl and Lynch being an ally as an MI6 agent in a similar vein to Miss Moneypenny in SF. Moneypenny will probably be back to her usual Moneypenny thing as in SP.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Lea has a bit of an off beat indy movie look. Hopefully though they are well cast in terms of their characters. Lea has a lot of work to do after SP.

She looks like that a lot in other things but I thought she looked great and very much like a classic Bond Girl when she was dolled up in that white dress.

• edited June 2019 Posts: 4,400
    CountJohn wrote: »
    For plot speculation, it's really sounding like Madeleine's going to get the axe. Maybe she and Bond broke up and he'll "bump into her" somewhere, but with him having been in retirement the past five years I would guess they've been together and she'll die early in the film. We'll see

I could see Ana de Armas as the main Bond Girl and Lynch being an ally as an MI6 agent in a similar vein to Miss Moneypenny in SF. Moneypenny will probably be back to her usual Moneypenny thing as in SP.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Lea has a bit of an off beat indy movie look. Hopefully though they are well cast in terms of their characters. Lea has a lot of work to do after SP.

She looks like that a lot in other things but I thought she looked great and very much like a classic Bond Girl when she was dolled up in that white dress.

I think De Armas is stunning. Every time I see a photo of her I am reminded that I need to rewatch Blade Runner 2049. i found the film to be accomplished but a little cold and sterile. Not as thought-provoking or revolutionary as the original. But i think with time, my opinion will only grow. Though I remember De Armas being very compelling and sympathetic a character.

ana-de-armas-in-blade-runner-2049_59731_1400x1050.jpg

In regard to 'who is the lead Bond girl' conversation, I remember having a similar debate leading up to SF. There the chat was on whether it was Berenice or Naomie. It turned out to be neither and in fact was Judi Dench!

Allevidence at the moment duggests ana is playing a compainion of bond's for a portion of the film, not the duration:

In this interview, Barbara Broccoli said the following about Paloma:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6961695/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-never-Jane-Bond-says-Barbara-Broccoli.html

• She added that Cuban-born actress Ana de Armas would also appear; playing a character called Paloma 'who helps Bond through part of the journey', across locations including Jamaica, Norway, Italy and London.

Also, De armas did a number of instagram stories on the main 007 page here she spoke of how Paloma is 'damaged' and works with Bond.

Thinking about it, in blade Runner, she played a vulnerable doe-eyed figure. I suppose that his her niche.

Blade-Runner-2049-0688.jpg

Meanwhile, Lashana is practically an unknown entity. Her only big role was as Captain Marvel's best friend. Before that she had a starring role in a short-lived ABC TV show about Romeo and Juliet. So more power to her for getting such a great leadign role so early in her career.

We know from the same Instagram stories that she is playing a character that kicks butt. Plus, we have seen her on sets in Jamaica and Pinewood, whilst Ana has been flying back and forth to Cuba and LA.

MV5BMzNmN2ViNDctYzBlOS00Zjg1LTg4NTYtYmVlN2YyMzc2ZjgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODQ3MjM4MTc@._V1_.jpg

I think Lashana will clock more screentime than Ana. Plus, it would appear that Lashana is taking the role that Lupita turned down. They'd only offer Lupita the lead. However, there is still an arguable case that the Paloma character was equally as suited to an actress like Lupita given her Mexican heritage. Still angry that Lupita turned down the chance to work with Cary Fukuanaga for Simon Kinberg no less!!!!!

lupita-nyong-o-for-times-magazine-october-2017-7.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    @Pierce2Daniel Lupita may have rejected the role seeing it was merely a supporting character. Neither Ana nor lashana may have much screen time because this film is very much DC's last so they would want him to get as much screen time as possible.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think no matter their screen time or their roles, they'll both knock the performances out the park I can guarantee.
    IDK what to make of the "part of his journey" comment, but that's a lot of locations for he to be at if she's a supporting Bond girl. The "first girl" who gets killed is generally only in one location.

Plenty of well known actresses have been supporting Bond Girls (including Monica Bellucci in just the last film!) and that could have been part of the reason she declined.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't mind the sacrificial lamb angle as long as it's well handled and feels appropriate for the scene and the situation.
    All comments about the female 007 should be directed here.

So.......it looks as though MI6 have made the decision to reassign Bond's code-number to Nomi. A young, black woman. Not controversial at all.

5d2b7fdb2516e902f746fc34-750.jpg
    PC has taken over nearly all components of media. If Shaft were played by a half Mexican male (like me!) would people be okay with this? What about Wonder Woman being played by an Asian man? Why is it okay to steal white men roles but not the other way around?
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    PC has taken over nearly all components of media. If Shaft were played by a half Mexican male (like me!) would people be okay with this? What about Wonder Woman being played by an Asian man? Why is it okay to steal white men roles but not the other way around?

NOMI PLAYS 007 AGENT (according to rumours)! NOT JAMES BOND! It's logical that 007 status can be given to another agent as Bond is out of active service for Mi6 for 5 years (according to rumours about story).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Pavlo wrote: »

NOMI PLAYS 007 AGENT (according to rumours)! NOT JAMES BOND! It's logical that 007 status can be given to another agent as Bond is out of active service for Mi6 for 5 years (according to rumours about story).

According to the official synopsis.

She's not James Bond, she's 007.

In the world of the series and its own internal logic there is no context behind who is 007. It's merely a code-number that can be reassigned to anyone. Why would MI6 be precious about who get's the number? M wouldn't be like "Nomi, can't have James's old number!"

I'm little disheartened as I can't imagine there would be as much uproar if they had decided to give the 007 number to Henry Cavill or Nicholas Hoult. The fact that its a young, black actress is triggering people unnecessarily.

Nomi is NOT James Bond. Shes a character in her own right who has inherited the '007' prefix.

This is such a non-story and comments such as the above are inanely using the opportunity to condemn the views of others unnecessarily.
  • PavloPavlo Ukraine
    matt_u wrote: »
    Pavlo wrote: »

According to the official synopsis.

I didnt see anything about length of his departure from Mi6 in synopsis.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Pretty sure the role of M got taken by a white man from Judi Dench ;)