Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Tom Hughes gets asked the Bond question at 6:18. Very tactfully answered Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWGZ8N5tWyA]

I always think of Hughes as the dark horse in the Bond race. He's someone who doesn't attract a lot of press regarding Bond but seems to be quietly getting on with his career while ageing nicely. He appears to have bulked up a bit as well.

Role wise he seems to be able to switch impressively between working class and posh. Don't let the floppy hair style fool you. In real life he has some of that ordinary background that I think served Connery and Craig well as Bond.

Mentioned him ages ago, I'll take him over Hiddleston, Turner and most definitely that plank of wood Cavill.

Hughes is a talented actor and his forging quite an impressive and varied CV. His most high profile role is playing Prince Albert in Victoria but he was great some years back in Le Carresque BBC spy drama The Game.

I think he is indeed a dark horse and definitely not one to rule out. If he stays under the radar enough he could be a contender.

I don't think Cavill's got a cat in hells chance and Turner I've a feeling will get a role soon that will push him past the right level of fame to be Bond.

Most definitely not Hemsworth, people are crackers thinking Barbara would sign off on an actor that has already starred in a huge box office juggernaut franchise like MCU for her Bond.
  • peter wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Ah, ha! Then Harry Styles could be in the running!

5...4...3...2...1 Heads Explode! :D

I know nothing of Stiles— other than he was in a band. I certainly wouldn’t know their songs, but it’s clear they’re a teenybopper type group.

All I know is: the kid was very strong in Dunkirk.

Could he be a future Bond? He had “something “ in Dunkirk, and was more “alive” and “dimensional “ than some of the wooden TV caliber actors mentioned thus far.,,

This guy still just does not strike me as Bond. Hopefully he's not in the running.

D56pfNpX4AAiAcw.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Lol, this doesn’t help his chances [-(
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Hughes looks creepy. Men with small noses cannot be trusted.

Is that a thing? I'm a small-nosed person myself!

Well, then you can't be trusted.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

And the fact that he's not even an Actor.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don’t think he’ll ever be considered but why do you think this doesn’t help his chances @talos7?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

I always think of Hughes as the dark horse in the Bond race. He's someone who doesn't attract a lot of press regarding Bond but seems to be quietly getting on with his career while ageing nicely. He appears to have bulked up a bit as well.

Role wise he seems to be able to switch impressively between working class and posh. Don't let the floppy hair style fool you. In real life he has some of that ordinary background that I think served Connery and Craig well as Bond.

Mentioned him ages ago, I'll take him over Hiddleston, Turner and most definitely that plank of wood Cavill.

Hughes is a talented actor and his forging quite an impressive and varied CV. His most high profile role is playing Prince Albert in Victoria but he was great some years back in Le Carresque BBC spy drama The Game.

I think he is indeed a dark horse and definitely not one to rule out. If he stays under the radar enough he could be a contender.

I don't think Cavill's got a cat in hells chance and Turner I've a feeling will get a role soon that will push him past the right level of fame to be Bond.

Most definitely not Hemsworth, people are crackers thinking Barbara would sign off on an actor that has already starred in a huge box office juggernaut franchise like MCU for her Bond.

I take Hiddleston, Turner and Cavill over Hughes.

I agree Hemsworth is a poor suggestion and he's not even British.
    suavejmf wrote: »

I take Hiddleston, Turner and Cavill over Hughes.

I agree Hemsworth is a poor suggestion and he's not even British.

I wouldn't but that's me.

True, but the list of singers who have very successfully transitioned to acting is considerable and he has started that process.

Denbigh wrote: »
    I don’t think he’ll ever be considered but why do you think this doesn’t help his chances @talos7?

I said that somewhat tongue in cheek but to be blunt the flamboyance of the outfit doesn’t fit with the image Bond.
    Univex wrote: »

Well, then you can't be trusted.

You can trust me!

tenor.gif

True, but the list of singers who have very successfully transitioned to acting is considerable and he has started that process.

Considerable? Really?
    Anteaters must be the most trustworthy creatures in the world then.
    Revelator wrote: »

They are. Best pet a spy can have, keeps the house free of bugs.

Them and Dustin Hoffman, really, really trustworthy.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Considerable? Really?

Maybe not in amount but being cast by Nolan is notable .

1280px-Proboscis_monkey_%28Nasalis_larvatus%29_male_head.jpg
    Looking forward to Cavill, Turner or Hiddleston not getting the job.

I'm not saying that it will be Hughes but I think those betting on these 3 are going to end up disappointed.

Craig pretty much came out of nowhere and whereas some like myself were familiar with his work, others had to play catchup.

I don't even think the next candidate is on peoples radars and like the way Clive Owen was much touted to not get anywhere near the role, Poldark, the plank of wood and Loki I won't be surprised are the same.

Some of you have started your campaign too soon, I think this will be DC's last but as they never say never....

No need to bring Craig into this matter.

(kidding, doesn't have the ears)

How did this turn into a nose discussion. Clive Owen should be made part of it, of course.
    I'm sure Cavill, Turner and Hiddleston will all eventually get their screen tests. However, Barbara Broccoli won't have considered a replacement yet while her golden boy is still Bond. I'm willing to bet she's still pinning her hopes on Craig coming back for one more after B25. If the recent Eon Launch Event is anything to go by, it'll probably be just as shambolic and ill-conceived. I'm hoping I'm wrong, of course.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Orang Belanda. As it happens also the Indonesian for Dutchman. So, all Dutch are to be trusted.
  • Tom-Hughes-as-Prince-Albert-669607.jpg

I'm always kind of surprised we don't hear his name more. I think he's just a naturally thin-framed guy, so I don't think they'll be a lot of bulking up with him. But it's the same way with a lot of other so called contenders, like Dan Stevens. Out of all of the more boyish, thin bodied contenders I think he's one of the better ones.

On Victoria he's so quiet and stoic it was hard to judge him as Bond. I could see Hughes being a more quiet/stoic yet cold-blooded Bond.

Orang Belanda. As it happens also the Indonesian for Dutchman. So, all Dutch are to be trusted.

Apparently the Dutch had large noses when they colonised Indonesia with their VOC, back in the day. They weren't very liked, either. As a Dutchman, I have a medium sized nose. I can only be trusted for 50%.
    Tom-Hughes-as-Prince-Albert-669607.jpg

I'm always kind of surprised we don't hear his name more. I think he's just a naturally thin-framed guy, so I don't think they'll be a lot of bulking up with him. But it's the same way with a lot of other so called contenders, like Dan Stevens. Out of all of the more boyish, thin bodied contenders I think he's one of the better ones.

On Victoria he's so quiet and stoic it was hard to judge him as Bond. I could see Hughes being a more quiet/stoic yet cold-blooded Bond.

I'm on the same page as you, I've been impressed with Hughes as far back as The Game and I think he's great in Victoria.

I'm not sure how he would approach Bond, he's from the same neck of the woods as Daniel and he seems quite down to earth.

You won't hear much about him on here because the choruses of Turner, Cavill and Hiddleston will drown it out.

Some are so convinced it's going to be Turner (which is possible) that no other actor is going to get considered.

Although I touted Hughes some years back, I also like the idea of Dan Stevens as well but although there were some here who would entertain it, I'm afraid Poldark and Superman are the one the biggest noise gets made about here.

I'm quite looking forward to both of them not getting the role just for that sake alone.
    I'm not sure how he would approach Bond, he's from the same neck of the woods as Daniel and he seems quite down to earth.

That's my main "issue" with Tom Hughes; I can't really imagine how he would approach Bond. He's been a bit "quiet" and reserved in the roles I've seen him in – like The Game.

Won't be negative if he somehow lands the Bond gig though. He could be an interesting and left-field choice.
    Tom Ellis anyone?

He plays the devil similar to how I am guessing he would play 007

Full disclosure never saw an episode but have seen clips
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Tom Hughes could appeal to Babs. He is nothing like Craig so his casting would feel fresh. Hughes is good looking but not in a more extravagant way like previous Bond actors. As mentioned above, he could be a grittier Bond. I think the days of the playboy, charming Bond are not going to return but someone like Hughes could reinvent the role (whatever that means!). Craig sort of reinvented it-ish.

If you're not a classic Bond type actor in waiting then you reinvent it almost by accident. Craig is definitely his own version of Bond and I'm guessing the next man will be his own version.

The monkey chap - Orang Belanda - deserves a screentest though. ;) Eon could save money too by paying him with bananas rather than hard cash.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Tom Ellis anyone?

Personally I think he looks the part and his acting is quite good. Plays lucifer over the top, fitting the Character (love the series). I gues he'd tone it down with Bond. I seem to be the only one though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Tom Ellis anyone?

He'd be pushing his mid-40's by the time filming began. Can't say I've seen him in any films/TV shows yet.