Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be firing up LTK here shortly, @Thunderfinger. Just rewatched TLD, which typically doesn't blow me away, but it was one of the weaker experiences I've had with it in the past few years. My Bondathon has yielded a few entertaining surprises and changes so far.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be firing up LTK here shortly, @Thunderfinger. Just rewatched TLD, which typically doesn't blow me away, but it was one of the weaker experiences I've had with it in the past few years. My Bondathon has yielded a few entertaining surprises and changes so far.

Same here. been a decade since my last, so age and circumstance has made me do some reassessments. Not sure what to pick next yet. Maybe Campbell.

Same here. been a decade since my last, so age and circumstance has made me do some reassessments. Not sure what to pick next yet. Maybe Campbell.

It's only been about a year and a half, two years since my last one. You know I'd love to recommend Campbell's GE but I don't want you feeling miserable for the next two plus hours, either.

It's only been about a year and a half, two years since my last one. You know I'd love to recommend Campbell's GE but I don't want you feeling miserable for the next two plus hours, either.

I will have to borrow the Brosnan films at the library, but that is just a five minutes walk from here, so will see if it is available.
    Was at the library yesterday to see what was in. GE wasn t and they don t even have NSNA in their collection, so I guess I will have to drop that from this Bondathon. They had DAD in though, so the upcoming month is Lee Tamahori month. Might as well get it over with.
    Was at the library yesterday to see what was in. GE wasn t and they don t even have NSNA in their collection, so I guess I will have to drop that from this Bondathon. They had DAD in though, so the upcoming month is Lee Tamahori month. Might as well get it over with.

You don't own all the Bond films :0

You don't own all the Bond films :0

Nope. The Brosnan films of my own choice, and NSNA because I have never found it for sale.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,336
    I'm not quite sure if i am having a bondathon or not, but i've seen 8 bond films so far this month. The last one i saw was DAF. DAF is at the moment my least favourite Bond film and this viewing did nothing to improve its placement. One of my biggest issues with the movie is that it has literally no good action sequences. The Peter Frank fight is ok. I also dislike Charles Gray as Blofeld and Plenty O'Toole. Not a big fan of Tiffany Case either, but i like her admiration for the franchise which she displays in interviews. She seems very happy to have been a Bond girl.

The film does however have a good score, and amusing henchmen in Wint and Kidd. That is pretty much the only plusses i can give.

The Oil Rig finale is probably the worst climatic battle in a Bond film.

Current Bondathon Ranking

1. GE
    2. TB
    3. LTK
    4. TLD
    5. OP
    6. YOLT
    7. QoS
    8. DAF
    Last up was DIE ANOTHER DAY.

I did not plan to see this in the cinema, but my brother bought tickets in January 2003. To me it was just more of the same Brosnan trash that came before. Last I saw this, it felt grey and dour and boring. This was different. Actually mostly a fun comic book Bond, quite colourful, great score, and Brosnan probably has his best performance here. I always loved the title sequence, fresh and unique. I even liked the villains this time around, and always thought Cleese was the perfect replacement as Q.

This is probably ranking as no 7 of the ten films I saw so far.Brosnan is better than Dalton at certain things. He has a better grin and not such an overly dramatic stance and stare when drawing his gun. So big surprise here, it has always been dead last for me before.

I did not even mind Jinx this time.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcMnuPb4PwKmlyhQe1oPnR5j0ab2D8eXjD3CSGx0MzKZaB3Bi6kw
    The surfing is bad, and the finale is a bit drawn out. Like in so many others.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

I did not plan to see this in the cinema, but my brother bought tickets in January 2003. To me it was just more of the same Brosnan trash that came before. Last I saw this, it felt grey and dour and boring. This was different. Actually mostly a fun comic book Bond, quite colourful, great score, and Brosnan probably has his best performance here. I always loved the title sequence, fresh and unique. I even liked the villains this time around, and always thought Cleese was the perfect replacement as Q.

This is probably ranking as no 7 of the ten films I saw so far.Brosnan is better than Dalton at certain things. He has a better grin and not such an overly dramatic stance and stare when drawing his gun. So big surprise here, it has always been dead last for me before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcMnuPb4PwKmlyhQe1oPnR5j0ab2D8eXjD3CSGx0MzKZaB3Bi6kw

Glad you enjoyed it more. It's my go to fun Bond along with DAF.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Actually mostly a fun comic book Bond, quite colourful, great score, and Brosnan probably has his best performance here. I always loved the title sequence, fresh and unique. I even liked the villains this time around, and always thought Cleese was the perfect replacement as Q.

Exactly what I thought on my recent viewing. Sure it spits on the amazing stuntwork done in previous films (+CR) but it's a relief to see a lair, over the top villain, and some escapism, a relief after the dour recent films
    Good stuff @Thunderfinger, very enjoyable review from you because I know how much you do loathe the era, so it's nice to see some positivity shared about it. DAD is certainly one of the worst of the series objectively, but like some others, I've managed to enjoy each viewing by separating the good from the bad, focusing more on the former and trying to forgive the latter. It has a lot of cheese and idiocy throughout, but it's good fun too.
    Well, this was new for me. Not sure what to watch next yet.
    You said your library didn't have the other Brosnan films, is the Craig era all that's left then? Go with CR. I still have everything post-GE to watch before my Bondathon ends.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 45,489
    You said your library didn't have the other Brosnan films, is the Craig era all that's left then? Go with CR. I still have everything post-GE to watch before my Bondathon ends.

No, they have the Brosnan films. DAD was the only one available at the moment, that s all. It is NSNA that is missing in their collection.

I have fourteen more films to see, I am not watching in order, but do one director at the time.

No, they have the Brosnan films. DAD was the only one available at the moment, that s all. It is NSNA that is missing in their collection.

I have fourteen more films to see, I am not watching in order, but do one director at the time.

Ah, I see, so whenever you do GE (or CR), you'll watch the other one, too, since Campbell directed both. That's a solid idea.

Ah, I see, so whenever you do GE (or CR), you'll watch the other one, too, since Campbell directed both. That's a solid idea.

That is what I am aiming for, but I can adapt. Curious to see if any of the other Brosnan films will click this time. I seriously doubt it, but look how DAD turned out. Never thought I would see the day.

That is what I am aiming for, but I can adapt. Curious to see if any of the other Brosnan films will click this time. I seriously doubt it, but look how DAD turned out. Never thought I would see the day.

If DAD managed to do something for you, considering it's usually rated the worst out of his entire era, I'll be surprised if the others didn't. Should be an interesting exercise once you get around to them.

If DAD managed to do something for you, considering it's usually rated the worst out of his entire era, I'll be surprised if the others didn't. Should be an interesting exercise once you get around to them.

Yes. I have no agenda, so I am going to be honest about it either way. If GE is in next time, I am picking that (and CR). If not, we will just have to see.
    It's always an interesting feeling, being surprisingly positive about a viewing of a film you've either hated or not been all that impressed with for years. I was blown away by how much I was entertained by MR during this Bondathon, it was such a blast.
    That would be TMWTGG for me! One of my least favourite years ago, but found it entertaining on recent viewings!
    Good luck with GE Thunderfinger I Still find the Brossa era a chore, and DAD is always a painful watch!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    That would be TMWTGG for me! One of my least favourite years ago, but found it entertaining on recent viewings!
    Good luck with GE Thunderfinger I Still find the Brossa era a chore, and DAD is always a painful watch!

I didn't have the greatest rewatch with that one this time around, but it's another that's gotten a much more glowing reappraisal from me in the past few years compared to how I used to feel about it, regardless of where it ends up ranked.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Thanks. Not looking forward to it, to be honest, despite the newfound appreciation for DAD. TMWTGG soared in my esteem, too, although I have never disliked it. @Creasy47, MR is till in the future for me. It has always been bottom five or six for me before.

It's just about the same case for me with MR, only this time I think it'll rank roughly 17th or so, just depends on how a few other viewings I have left go.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great to see your enjoyed DAD, Thundy. It has some Flemingesque moments, and I love the fact that we have such OTT entries to choose from. In the last few years I've seen AVTAK, then DAF in a new light, and find them really entertaining now. The one film I have yet to click with, is GG. Perhaps this could happen during my next Bondathon, which will commence later this year, and timed to conclude just before B25.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Great to see your enjoyed DAD, Thundy.

Perhaps I should go see a psychiatrist? Again.
  • AleanderAleander Kavala, Greece
    I actually am introducing Bond to a friend of mine who's never seen any one of them, and started with the modern era, or the Dalton/Brosnan era.

Saw TLD, LTK, GE and TND in successive weekends, and he enjoyed them all, LTK and GE the most, though he prefers Dalton thus far. Liked TND more than TLD though, which is troublesome, but he always was more action-y than myself anyway.
    FYEO is often described as the vanilla Bond film. I respectfully disagree. I've always found it an engaging ride largely due to Melina's story arc and the charismatic Columbo. Melina is a much stronger character compared to the lumps of wood in the preceeding two films (Gilbert fails at compelling characters). The other key factor is the immersion in the locations, something surprisingly rare in the films.

1. For Your Eyes Only
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. Moonraker
    4. Goldfinger
    5. Live and Let Die
    6. Diamonds are Forever
    7. The Man with the Golden Gun

8. The Spy Who Loved Me
    9. Thunderball
    10. Die Another Day
    11. A View To A Kill
    12. You Only Live Twice

13. Quantum of Solace
    14. Skyfall
    15. The World Is Not Enough
    16. Spectre

Birdleson wrote: »
    Often? I don’t remember ever in my life hearing or seeing it described as the “vanilla” Bond film.

Vanilla is probably not the right word (I hate it when people use it to describe Dr No, or worse, rank it lower for being "vanilla").

In the case of FYEO, what I mean is it doesn't really break new ground (except, literally, the climb up St Cyrils) and it doesn't have larger than life and escapist features that make it stand out. It also doesn't do (too much) wrong, either. So it's often in the middle of peoples' rankings.

While I do like FYEO, it lacks the charm (see GF), detail (Young and Campbell), and thrills to elevate it to top tier.

At this point, I only have Licence to Kill to watch until I reach the top tier of Bond films - DN, FRWL, OHMSS, OP, TLD, GE, CR. Will Living Daylights hang on to top spot with Octopussy nipping at its heels, or will reappraisal of one of the 'classics' shake things up?