Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig?

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    Its really so interesting, how different people perceive a portrayal, because to me, he had no charm at all. He was just dark and tortured, whereas DC made his playful moments just that - playful and entertaining. :)

And Dalton didn't???

BOND: I need to use your phone :)] This is 007, I'll report in an hour

HOT CHICK: Won't you join me 8->

BOND: B-) Better make that 2
    Germanlady wrote:
    Its really so interesting, how different people perceive a portrayal, because to me, he had no charm at all. He was just dark and tortured, whereas DC made his playful moments just that - playful and entertaining. :)

And Dalton didn't???

HOT CHICK: Won't you join me ;)...

For mee, its not the lines, but the way of delivering it. Sorry, Royale - there is no hope. I like all the Bonds -more or less - but Dalton. He just ain't my cup of tea AT ALL.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I agree it's strange how different people perceive different performances. I've always regarded TD in TLD as a classic Bond performance and full of lightness and humour. In contrast, as much as I like him, DC for me has been the rather relentlessly downbeat performer. I'm desperate to see Craig lighten up a bit in SF.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    I agree it's strange how different people perceive different performances. I've always regarded TD in TLD as a classic Bond performance and full of lightness and humour. In contrast, as much as I like him, DC for me has been the rather relentlessly downbeat performer. I'm desperate to see Craig lighten up a bit in SF.

I don't know @getafix. I don't mean to have another go at him but compared to Dan, Tim sometimes seemed a bit awkward when he tried to "lighten up" or crack a joke IMO. How many of us honestly burst out laughing when he said "why didn't you learn the violin" or "he got the boot". Dalton, as far as I recall, wasn't all that happy saying the one-liners. I think Craig (at least in CR) was more convincing when he was relaxed. I've pointed this out earlier in the thread but I do like the exchange:

"You know I think I'll call that a Vesper"

"Why? Because of the bitter after-taste?"

"No...because once you've tasted it...its all you want to drink"

That exchange alone and the way he delivers it shows Craig is capable of "lightening up"

Tell me he's not relaxed in the above clip.

It's difficult to pinpoint it exactly but with Dalton you get the sense he thinks he's too good for those kind of lines. He doesn't have that arrogant quality that Craig has. There are times when the humour works: "whoever she was I must have scarred The Living Daylights out of her" and times when it doesn't such as the instances Ive mentioned above.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

And Dalton didn't???

HOT CHICK: Won't you join me ;)...

For mee, its not the lines, but the way of delivering it. Sorry, Royale - there is no hope. I like all the Bonds -more or less - but Dalton. He just ain't my cup of tea AT ALL.

I feel sorry for you, you cannot see true greatness ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I don't know @getafix. I don't mean to have another go at him but compared to Dan, Tim sometimes seemed a bit awkward when he tried to "lighten up" or crack a joke IMO. How many of us honestly burst out laughing when he said "why didn't you learn the violin" or "he got the boot". Dalton, as far as I recall, wasn't all that happy saying the one-liners. I think Craig (at least in CR) was more convincing when he was relaxed. I've pointed this out earlier in the thread but I do like the exchange:

"You know I think I'll call that a Vesper"

"Why? Because of the bitter after-taste?"

"No...because once you've tasted it...its all you want to drink"

That exchange alone and the way he delivers it shows Craig is capable of "lightening up"

Tell me he's not relaxed in the above clip.

It's difficult to pinpoint it exactly but with Dalton you get the sense he thinks he's too good for those kind of lines. He doesn't have that arrogant quality that Craig has. There are times when the humour works: "whoever she was I must have scarred The Living Daylights out of her" and times when it doesn't such as the instances Ive mentioned above.

I agree with @Getafix, I thought TLD had plenty of humour. I thought the Violin line was funny. In LTK he wasn't meant to be funny, he was meant to be pissed of and out for revenge (but he STILL managed to crack the odd one liner or make the odd joke)
    In LTK he wasn't meant to be funny, he was meant to be pissed of and out for revenge (but he STILL managed to crack the odd one liner or make the odd joke)

The same aplies for both of DC's films - if we wanna look at it this way, they were both meant to be the darker Bonds, but both had their one liners. We just don't agree on who did it better.
    I remember very well and this is the truth, leaving the first Dalton outing left me rather in the same dark mood as the film was, whereas after CR I felt well entertained.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    To be honest, i've yet to laugh out loud at a line in either of Craigs films. My reactions have been more cringing than anything else. And then there's Craig's delivery, my god he's so monotone, I keep thinking that i'm watching the Terminator.

Oh and that clip, it does nothing to convince me. Relaxed, really? He shows so little emotion, he's practically comatose.
    To be honest, i've yet to laugh out loud at a line in either of Craigs films. My reactions have been more cringing than anything else. And then there's Craig's delivery, my god he's so monotone, I keep thinking that i'm watching the Terminator.

Oh and that clip, it does nothing to convince me. Relaxed, really? He shows so little emotion, he's practically comatose.

If it was QoS I'd agree with you about being "monotone" but I thought he was teriffic in CR

Another example of "awkwardly placed humour" from TD was the "dead end" line in LTK. Why did he even say it? Would you say something like that if you just saw a dead body impaled on a forklift? I know he's Bond and he's meant to be cool around death but...really...it just seemed a bit of a cheap line.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:

If it was QoS I'd agree with you about being "monotone" but I thought he was teriffic in CR

I'm talking about both films (and I guess his non-Bond films too), so that applies to QOS as well.

Really? Its true, his overall acting is very subtle - a far cry from the overacting we see so very often. From what i remember, his timing for his lines, like the hands one etc was quite favourable reviewed overall. i would think, the prices and praise he won for his acting for many years and pretty much from the beginning of his career must mean somthing and surely not comatose...

Germanlady wrote:
    In LTK he wasn't meant to be funny, he was meant to be pissed of and out for revenge (but he STILL managed to crack the odd one liner or make the odd joke)

The same aplies for both of DC's films - if we wanna look at it this way, they were both meant to be the darker Bonds, but both had their one liners. We just don't agree on who did it better. I remember very well and this is the truth, leaving the first Dalton outing left me rather in the same dark mood as the film was, whereas after CR I felt well entertained.

Same goes for me and QOS. I like Craig, and I thought CR was good, and he does have afew decent one liners, but I like Dalton ALOT better. Like you said, we just disagree.
    Germanlady wrote:

The same aplies for both of DC's films - if we wanna look at it this way, they were both meant to be the darker Bonds, but both had their one liners. We just don't agree on who did it better. I remember very well and this is the truth, leaving the first Dalton outing left me rather in the same dark mood as the film was, whereas after CR I felt well entertained.

Same goes for me and QOS. I like Craig, and I thought CR was good, and he does have afew decent one liners, but I like Dalton ALOT better. Like you said, we just disagree.

Which is fine with me. I really don't mind. For me the fun here is to get heated up - and since you guys have such deep emotions, its just good fun to speak our mind.
    Germanlady wrote:

Really? Its true, his overall acting is very subtle - a far cry from the overacting we see so very often. From what i remember, his timing for his lines, like the hands one etc was quite favourable reviewed overall. i would think, the prices and praise he won for his acting for many years and pretty much from the beginning of his career must mean somthing and surely not comatose...

I don't doubt that he's had good reviews for whatever characters he's played. But i'm speaking for myself and only myself, Craig just isn't my idea of Bond.
    I'm with @Germanlady on this one. As a recent "Craig convert" Dan is just the more engaging, more entertaining of the two actors. After re-watching a bit of TLD recently Dalton just comes off as a bit... argh...stuffy and boring sometimes (*ducks*).

I actually enjoyed Dalton a lot more in Hot Fuzz. Now THERE he had lightened up.
    I think that Craig is better than Dalton at one-liners, but Dalton's delivery is great when he is putting Koskov in the pipeline and says "you're the first". I also really like "I have a few optional extras installed".
    I think that Craig is better than Dalton at one-liners, but Dalton's delivery is great when he is putting Koskov in the pipeline and says "you're the first". I also really like "I have a few optional extras installed".

That's a pretty good example of where he works. Another one is:

"I take it this isn't a social call?"

"correct...you should have brought lillys"
  • If James Bond is one person and the six different actors represent the character at different stages of his life, I always thought this would be the order of the actors in relation to James Bond's life (if this makes sense?)

Daniel Craig (Youngest, new agent, inexperienced, emotional)

Timothy Dalton (Much like craig's bond but more polished. still emotional (See the Prater cafe scene in TLD)

Sean Connery (Polished yet gritty, Bond at his most confident and professional)

George Lazenby (A Connery clone but marriage signifies a Bond at the stage of his life where he is getting older)

Pierce brosnan (still polished but moving more campy/playboy)

Roger Moore (the oldest part of the Bond character. The ultimate playboy cum spy. Suave and debonair)

Based on this, Craig and Dalton's Bond's are the most relateable and connected. I personally prefer Dalton over Craig, both as an actor and interpretation.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    ^ Interesting. Despite the age of the two actors, i've always pegged Daltons Bond as the more experienced Bond (the veteran Bond), between him and Moore. Otherwise, i'd agree with all that you wrote.

I can also take some consolation that despite what happens in this poll, Dalton has put up a much stronger resistance here, than Brosnan has in the other vs. Craig poll.

By the way, welcome to MI6 Signed_By_Roger_Moore. I bet you're a fan of Niven's Bond. ;)
    Germanlady wrote:
    I remember very well and this is the truth, leaving the first Dalton outing left me rather in the same dark mood as the film was, whereas after CR I felt well entertained.

Are you talking about TLD? Have to say even if you are not a Dalton fan, it is very strange to have left the cinema after watching that movie in a dark mood. It is not what I would describe as a dark film at all.

By contrast of course, CR does actually have an extremely dark and downbeat ending. I appreciated it as an improvement on previous films but actually came away feeling underwhelmed - the sum is not equal to the huge number of parts, IMO. Oh, and there isn't really very much humour in it either. Although there are some very nice scenes with DC and Vesper.
    I like TLD but CR is easily the better film of the two IMO. Just the way its shot is superior - it looks beautiful. The characters likewise are more engaging and the torture sequence is probably one of the nastiest yet most gripping scenes to ever appear in a Bond film.

Daylights is good but has just has a bit of an ever so slightly bland feel to it - maybe that was because it was nearing the end of the "classic era" and still featured John Glenn behind the camera? From the opening frames CR grabs you and doesn't let go. There's just a rawness to it that we hadn't seen since arguably the early Connery days. I've said this before but when was the last time we saw Bond squeeze the life out of someone with his bear hands? Not since the days of old Sean if my memory serves me correctly.
  • Where Craig does have the edge on Dalton is his interaction with the girls...the train scene is one of the best Bond/Bond girl interactions in the whole series
  • ^ Interesting. Despite the age of the two actors, i've always pegged Daltons Bond as the more experienced Bond (the veteran Bond), between him and Moore. Otherwise, i'd agree with all that you wrote.

I can also take some consolation that despite what happens in this poll, Dalton has put up a much stronger resistance here, than Brosnan has in the other vs. Craig poll.

By the way, welcome to MI6 Signed_By_Roger_Moore. I bet you're a fan of Niven's Bond. ;)

Thanks for the welcome! :)

That's interesting. I mean I only got that impression after the Craig films. The mistakes and the emotion Craig's Bond has I thought was a prelude (of sorts) to Dalton's portrayal. TLD and LTK have examples of Bond being driven by emotion more than the mission. It was like Dalton's Bond was still learning. See if Skyfall and a more 'mature, classic 007-like' performance from Craig changes that

every time i saw Dalton's Bond,in every scene, i got the impression he always want to say "to be or not to be" .

I don't know maybe just me, although his acting was good there is no coherency in his performance...

you forgot in License to Kill - 'You earned it, you keep it, Old Buddy' or 'Compliments of Sharkey', great spontaneous wordings from Dalton and well delivered, although I'll say Craig is quite good with the one liners too. They are both 'dark' Bonds if you will, a serious tone etc, not really a fan of Craig, but those are two characteristics I always look for in James Bond, they both had this quality
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Are you talking about TLD? Have to say even if you are not a Dalton fan, it is very strange to have left the cinema after watching that movie in a dark mood. It is not what I would describe as a dark film at all.

By contrast of course, CR does actually have an extremely dark and downbeat ending. I appreciated it as an improvement on previous films but actually came away feeling underwhelmed - the sum is not equal to the huge number of parts, IMO. Oh, and there isn't really very much humour in it either. Although there are some very nice scenes with DC and Vesper.

I know, what you mean, TLD had the lighter ending, but CR on the whole was lighter and just more fun - for me. And I have to say, I didn't come out of the theater deeply in love with DC - it took some days ;) I say that to make a point of not being influnced by fangirldome after the first view.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I know, what you mean, TLD had the lighter ending, but CR on the whole was lighter and just more fun - for me. And I have to say, I didn't come out of the theater deeply in love with DC - it took some days ;) I say that to make a point of not being influnced by fangirldome after the first view.

I must admit @Germanlady for me CR was definitely a "slow burner". The first time I watched it in the cinema I didn't know what to think. Don't get me wrong I knew it was at least good but I still missed the old days and stuck on GE when I arrived back home. It wasn't until I saw it again a few days later I thought "actually this is really good".

Thats the good thing about CR - its easy to re-watch.

I also wouldn't call TLD "grim" either. "More serious" yes but not grim.

I think it ultimately comes down to the star of each film. IMHO Craig is just a bit more engaging and also has a more genuinely "mysterious" quality about him. Dalton's an out-and-out thesp pretending to be mysterious if that makes sense.
    As a fan of Moores films, I also had a bit of a difficulty to see it as a Bond film. It just seemed so different and still does. Yup, I guess it came down to DC's performance, that I started to love it - something that Dalton didn't achieve
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,677
    Timothy Dalton had Richard Gere´s wife... Timothy Dalton wins!
    http://tiskin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/15ffarticle-2125894-124B1DF0000005DC-326_306x423.jpg
    Just one more for the road:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TNth4Fmfyw0/T2s2qkvSuKI/AAAAAAAAEpg/Dm-rM0vh1Pk/s1600/Livday-ppk5.jpg
    Timothy Dalton IS James Bond

Mod edit: Copyright images changed to links.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,677
    Now, one thing´s for sure, both Craig and Dalton have a great voice, as did Connery of course. That was actually the first thing I liked about DC as Bond. The voice. Very Bond.
    Univex wrote:

Daniel Craig had Gemma Arterton AND Eva Green though.

Mod edit: Copyright images changed to links.