No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2018 Posts: 8,052
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    We shouldn't discount La La Land, either. I think that was an incredibly difficult story to pull off in a modern context -- and not only did they achieve that remarkably, but the photography was a huge element of the film's mastery of its own tone.

La La Land looked great but the film overall did very little for me.

Still, a great choice.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Linus Sandgren (La La Land and First Man) is apparently the DOP-

I believe he is the first Oscar winning cinematographer EVER to shoot a Bond film.

If you mean prior to working on a Bond film then Freddie Young would like a word.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Agreed. LaLaLand was fine; FM, no. Not the bright, colorful choice many were hoping for.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Solid choice. The hype is beginning to set in for me.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 820
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Based entirely on this recent news, which I am thrilled about, what do people think about Justin Hurwitz? He seems to fit the same young creative behind the film of Cary and Linus.

I'd highly, highly recommend that anyone who hasn't yet heard his score for First Man check it out. Perhaps the most Barry-inspired effort to grace a mainstream film in some years. Some pieces feel like they could have been downright lifted from a collection of unused OHMSS tracks.

There's a short list of names that would elate me as a Bond 25 composer choice. David Arnold leads that pack by far, but Daniel Pemberton and Justin Hurwitz are in the mix too.
  • Terrific news! Linus Sandgren is a fantastic DP. In fact, this is an outstanding choice. I recently re-watched La La Land the other day - and boy, the photography is outstanding. His use of colour is great and the long unbroken tracking shots in the magic hour are drool-worthy.

Fukunaga is beginning to put together a dream team. This news has me very excited for Bond 25. Also, might be worth nothing that Sandgren is known for shooting on film opposed to digital. This may hint to Fukunaga's chosen format.

A small sampling of his work:

LaLaLand_173.jpg

LaLaLand_537.jpg

LaLaLand_308.jpg

LaLaLand_225.jpg
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Based entirely on this recent news, which I am thrilled about, what do people think about Justin Hurwitz? He seems to fit the same young creative behind the film of Cary and Linus.

I'd highly, highly recommend that anyone who hasn't yet heard his score for First Man check it out. Perhaps the most Barry-inspired effort to grace a mainstream film in some years. Some pieces feel like they could have been downright lifted from a collection of unused OHMSS tracks.

There's a short list of names that would elate me as a Bond 25 composer choice. David Arnold leads that pack by far, but Daniel Pemberton and Justin Hurwitz are in the mix too.

Indeed. The music choice on Bond 25 will be something that excites me even more than usual. You're quite right on the list of names too - all great choices. Arnold would be returning back after ten years, and Hurwitz and Pemberton are both on a hot streak. Win, win, win.
  • Finally some news!!!
    La La Land is one of my favourite films from the last few years, and so bringing Sandgren on board is tremendous. I know in that film they wanted to make all the locations they filmed on to look so good it would almost look fake. And First Man look beautiful as well.
    Hopefully more news starts to dribble through the new year and we may get some news on casting soon.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    An era spanning About 14 years should be more gratifying than "slightly unfulfilling". I dont´see anything admirable in that Concept.

The length of the era is the not the admirably ambitious part.
    With such a length of time, a lot should be Pretty fulfilling.

I'm not really quite sure what to say to this that would be any different to me repeating the comment I said above. The length of the era (be it 2 years, 4 years or 15) doesn't really hold any bearing on the quality of the content of the films themselves, which is what I was referring to. Not the concept of time, which is what you mixed in there. Does that make Lazenby's era the most fulfilling or the least fulfilling, then? Or Moore's?

If you find it massively unfulfilling as opposed to my somewhat polite "slightly" (my issues are limited solely to SPECTRE now, I like the other three), then just say that instead of faffing about, please.

An admirable failure is still admirable nonetheless. I used the word ambitious, not successful.

But I guess arguments have been started over a lot less around here recently, so I digress.

Anyway, Bond 25 is still on track. The overactive, trolling imaginations of some of the lesser folk here won't make that statement any less true until EON confirms it any other way.
    What I meant is that if an era last Long, Things that don´t sit so well have to be tolerated longer. I didn´t intend to say that a long era is good or bad, or that a short era is good or bad. But if we take the first ten years of the Craig era, I like the first three or four years, and I don´t enjoy so much the rest. And the rest is quite a bit counted in years. Regardless of the number of films, if, say, the last four years would have been more to my liking (as an example), then the whole era would be more comfortable to me.
    I never used the term "massively".

An era spanning About 14 years should be more gratifying than "slightly unfulfilling". I dont´see anything admirable in that Concept.

The length of the era is the not the admirably ambitious part.
    With such a length of time, a lot should be Pretty fulfilling.

I'm not really quite sure what to say to this that would be any different to me repeating the comment I said above. The length of the era (be it 2 years, 4 years or 15) doesn't really hold any bearing on the quality of the content of the films themselves, which is what I was referring to. Not the concept of time, which is what you mixed in there. Does that make Lazenby's era the most fulfilling or the least fulfilling, then? Or Moore's?

If you find it massively unfulfilling as opposed to my somewhat polite "slightly" (my issues are limited solely to SPECTRE now, I like the other three), then just say that instead of faffing about, please.

An admirable failure is still admirable nonetheless. I used the word ambitious, not successful.

But I guess arguments have been started over a lot less around here recently, so I digress.

Anyway, Bond 25 is still on track. The overactive, trolling imaginations of some of the lesser folk here won't make that statement any less true until EON confirms it any other way.
    What I meant is that if an era last Long, Things that don´t sit so well have to be tolerated longer. I didn´t intend to say that a long era is good or bad, or that a short era is good or bad. But if we take the first ten years of the Craig era, I like the first three or four years, and I don´t enjoy so much the rest. And the rest is quite a bit counted in years. Regardless of the number of films, if, say, the last four years would have been more to my liking (as an example), then the whole era would be more comfortable to me.
    I never used the term "massively".

That's all well and good, but to me that is a separate argument because you're not only talking of things on screen I feel.

The films, taken on their own terms, are admirably ambitious. And as @TripAces pointed out above, one can see it as an experimental phase - one that hasn't always worked (and certainly didn't work too well in 2015) but there has been ambitious intentions with the content in the Craig films despite SPECTRE going off the deep end, hence my "slightly unfulfilling."

Anyway, if there was any confusion I apologise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'd say that time is especially relevant in the context of a continuity driven character arc. One can agree or disagree on whether the character arc has been successful or not, but I believe time is important, both for the big fans of this series and especially for the general public, who don't retain all of the history like we do.

Regarding Sandgren: I haven't seen La La Land or First Man, nor do I intend to. However I have viewed Joy and American Hustle, for which he was also the DoP. Both are very nicely lensed films, even if smaller in scale and scope.
    Time is a flat circle.

giphy.gif
    Time is a flat circle.

giphy.gif
    Apropos given the director.

Perhaps that will be one of the themes of B25. It wouldn't surprise me if eternal recurrence or some other philosophy finds its way into the film in some way shape or form.
    “I said, doesn’t time fly?”
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

I’m all for it. I absolutely loved the score in First Man. At some times it sounded very reminiscent of classic Bond scores.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Happy with this choice from what I'm reading. Great to know the cinematographer.
    I like him as a DoP, he's actually a pretty good at his job! I love it!!!!

DoP for me is a big part of certain movies, and I think that Hoyte was incredibly underused in SPECTRE..... and it's a shame really..

I hope Linus is used more in the next movie
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,372
    Without knowing much of the films he's worked on; has our Swedish DOP experience within the action genre – particularly with action set pieces, car chases etc.?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Time is a flat circle.

giphy.gif

Perhaps that will be one of the themes of B25. It wouldn't surprise me if eternal recurrence or some other philosophy finds its way into the film in some way shape or form.

Don't worry, it was intentional.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    So, confirmed:

Daniel Craig is James Bond
    in a Cary Joji Fukunaga film
    shot and lit by Linus Sandgren

More than happy with this. All good news so far.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    The Norwegian Bond fan-site has picked up something very interesting... http://www.jamesbond.no/visArtikler.asp?ID=1004

Essentially, a project named "B25" has filed an application for an incentive program regarding shooting on location in Norway. Make of that what you will.

I did some quick digging and found the source article as well: https://www.bt.no/direkte/kultur-direkte/pinned/125607
    Interesting, Canada and Western Norway have similar sights, nature wise. Could they be going for that kind os scenery?
    The Norwegian Bond fan-site has picked up something very interesting... http://www.jamesbond.no/visArtikler.asp?ID=1004

Essentially, a project named "B25" has filed an application for an incentive program regarding shooting on location in Norway. Make of that what you will.

I did some quick digging and found the source article as well: https://www.bt.no/direkte/kultur-direkte/pinned/125607

Read that a while ago. It might happen, but I wouldn't count on a potential Norway location being used extensively, given the cost of filming over here.
    Time is a flat circle.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't mind that. If the Nietzsche thing only gets so far, and not into Bond's mental state. Although Villains always like to quote Nietzsche, right? If only they would be intelligent enough to quote say, Jorge Luis Borges and his eternal river poem, better than a posthumous literature nobel prize, I'd say ;)

Read that a while ago. It might happen, but I wouldn't count on a potential Norway location being used extensively, given the cost of filming over here.

I recall Norway being a rumour a while back, but surely it wasn't this specific story?? After all, the article presumably got the info directly from the mentioned Norwegian commission after the 27 November application deadline, which is pretty recent.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

I recall Norway being a rumour a while back, but surely it wasn't this specific story?? After all, the article presumably got the info directly from the mentioned Norwegian commission after the 27 November application deadline, which is pretty recent.
    There was something a while back about the producers wanting to shoot there with costs being the issue. Same deal with SP.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »
    Interesting, Canada and Western Norway have similar sights, nature wise. Could they be going for that kind os scenery?
    Good point. It's certainly possible even if they are perhaps going to combine two locations for a snow setting action scene. It seems a bit odd given they just did that in SP though, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Craig doesn't like to ski.
    Univex wrote: »
    Time is a flat circle.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't mind that. If the Nietzsche thing only gets so far, and not into Bond's mental state. Although Villains always like to quote Nietzsche, right? If only they would be intelligent enough to quote say, Jorge Luis Borges and his eternal river poem, better than a posthumous literature nobel prize, I'd say ;)
    True. it's certainly a staple of a good Bond film that I've always enjoyed. An overconfident villain pompously speculating on what made him who he is while simultaneously casting aspersions on Bond's unyielding loyalty to the cause.

I hope Fukunaga resists the temptation to go down the poetry quote route though, no matter how good the source or how appealing it may seem - perhaps that should remain the exclusive privilege of SF. ;)
    I hope Fukunaga resists the temptation to go down the poetry quote route though, no matter how good the source or how appealing it may seem - perhaps that should remain the exclusive privilege of SF. ;)

Yes, I quite agree. SF did that well, though, IMO. Nihilism it is then ;) Good old world (order) destruction plot.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Anyone think that Canada made be the contingency plan should the application to Norway not be granted?
  • What about a villain who doesn't over-act?
    jake24 wrote: »

There was something a while back about the producers wanting to shoot there with costs being the issue. Same deal with SP.

Well then it's still a new development - albeit a recurring one.