Have you ever successfully converted someone into becoming a James Bond fan?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited November 2018 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,727
The thread title says it all as means of introduction to this thread. This subject is something I've been thinking about recently. It takes me back to the only time I think I ever converted other people into becoming a James Bond fan.

Personally speaking, I'd say that my fandom was used to convert around three to four of my classmates at secondary school into being James Bond fans of some sort or other. At least some of them have, to the best of my knowledge, remained as Bond fans. Since then, I've not really consciously tried to recruit anyone new to the fandom, perhaps because school years are formative years of experience and so fellow pupils are more impressionable than many adults are in later life. I also wouldn't say that it was that case that I consciously went out of my way of recruit new Bond fans at school but more that my obvious interest in Bond may have smitten a few of my school friends.

So have you ever successfully converted someone into becoming a Bond fan? Do you believe that it is part of our remit as Bond fans to try to recruit others as fans or is James Bond purely a private interest in your life? I'd love to hear your stories below. :)

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    No.
    My daughters both know more than the average 007 movie watcher does, and both have their favorites and have seen all of the movies. Both love going to the cinema with dad, last 007 movie in the cinema FYEO, the profits went to UNICEF.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2018 Posts: 8,254
    No, but I lost a fan: My son despised and still despises SP. Recently he said this dislike actually started in SF.

Like his old man, he loves the Connery era, and the first two DC films (ever since being a youngster, he didn't like Moore or Brosnan (EDIT: although the first couple of films I introduced to him were GE and TSWLM...; it was when he was a little older and we watched all of the films that his ambivalence and then dislike for these eras grew) , but did like the TD films).

He found SF chipped away at what made DC so great, and softened him, but, he was still willing to give B24 a shot. After all, SF was just one film (that he didn't entirely dislike (he loved the final encounter at Bond's home)).

When SP came out, he fell asleep. Several times. And that was the straw that broke him. SP committed the biggest sin to him: a boring Bond film. He thinks it kind of pissed on the entire history.

This has left such a bad taste in his mouth, that he, at the moment, refuses to watch any Bond film.

He's almost 18, so his critical weaponry is at its highest. In time, he will come back to the series. And he will enjoy them, or not, for what they are. But since we used to have such a blast watching them (at home over and over; on opening day), I have a feeling he will find a place for Bond again.
    I don't know that I've converted anybody into becoming a Bond fan, but I've made friends bigger Bond fans due to my enthusiasm and made others more interested in the character. Except my own daughter, who really has never liked Bond but understands my enjoyment.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I haven't created any fanatics but I've gotten about five people into the films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No. But I *did* get my Son to actually say that DN & SP were enjoyable. I guess that's something...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2018 Posts: 17,727
    Remington wrote: »
    I haven't created any fanatics but I've gotten about five people into the films.

No, well I probably haven't created any Bond fanatics on my level of fandom either. It would be more casual Bond fans than that. Not sure if I made that fully clear in the OP. Still, some kind of Bond fan is better than none, I suppose!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I've convinced several friends to reevaluate Dalton's Bond, which I count as victory!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I've convinced several friends to reevaluate Dalton's Bond, which I count as victory!

Yes, it certainly is a victory well worth fighting for, @Agent_99! Congratulations. Dalton is an underrated Bond and also my favourite actor in the role.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    He’s certainly underrated in the wider world, but he gets his dues in the fan community at least!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    He’s certainly underrated in the wider world, but he gets his dues in the fan community at least!

Yes, that's true of course. We can at least take some comfort in the good taste of our fellow board members here on this community. :)
    edited December 2018 Posts: 17,727
    As well as hard conversion itself I think we can include a less stringent type of positive influence on others in this thread also. Conversion to a fully-fledged Bond fan like ourselves is maybe asking a bit too much. I don't want to set the parameters too high on this thread, so that I still get some good responses and fellow fan creation stories being told in it.

Perhaps "converted" was the wrong word for this thread title, but I'll leave it as it is with the rider that it can still be less than full conversion to qualify in this thread of mine!
    I knew a person who once told me the only reason he knew the chronological order of the Bond films was because of me. I then quizzed him and he got it right.

ToTheRight wrote: »
    I knew a person who once told me the only reason he knew the chronological order of the Bond films was because of me. I then quizzed him and he got it right.

That's great! It's about putting something back into the community and spreading awareness of Bondology.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Yes, one of my good friends is joining me and we are watching the series from start to finish. We have reached the spy who loved me. He has become a massive fan and is getting really into them