Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    MILE 22

015_mile22_unit_29001r_rgb.jpg?w=1000

Easily the most unlikeable protagonist that Mark Wahlberg has ever played, and that's going some. A bizarre, fascinating mess; At the moment, I'm considering it a "so bad it's good" experience, but in reality I know it's just plain bad.
    I saw this in the theatre upon release. It was one of the most disappointing experiences I've had this year, which is saying something because I've seen some pretty poor films in 2018. It was the first film I saw after MI:Fallout and the difference in quality was especially stark. What a waste of talent imho.

I had read some bad reviews before checking it out, but I tried to keep an open mind. Unfortunately the reviews were spot on this time round. It's an infuriating mess of a film. It reminded me a lot of Berg's The Kingdom, though I feel that film is pretty underrated. I liked that quite a bit. The scrap between Lauren Cohan and the hulking goon in the apartment in Mile 22 is a note for note knock off of a fight in The Kingdom between Jennifer Garner and a similar sized thug, though the latter was better executed.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    OUTLAW KING

outlawking_still_01_2.0.jpg

Violent, well-acted, but ultimately unfulfilling. There's a lot to recommend here; wonderfully shot Scottish landscapes and a very committed performance from Pine go a long way - but when the film ended I was left with a feeling of incompleteness. Still enjoyed it though.

What accent does he have in it ? Not American surely .

Nope. He gives a pretty good go of a Scottish accent. Does a decent job of it, too.
  • rocky-v1_0629-.-1500.fit-to-width.431x431.q80.png

I noticed Best Buy has all 6 of the Rocky movies on Steelbook for a mere $24.99, so I HAD to get it. My friend and I just did the Rocky Run in Philadelphia this past weekend, so I was in a very 'Rocky' mood these past few days.

RaceInfoMedals.jpg

I'm enjoying a nice little Rocky marathon- currently working my way through part II. It's such a strange feeling, being older than Stallone in these first 2 movies (30 in part 1, 33 in part 2).

I need to get through all of them in time for Creed II!!!!
    MILE 22

015_mile22_unit_29001r_rgb.jpg?w=1000

Easily the most unlikeable protagonist that Mark Wahlberg has ever played, and that's going some. A bizarre, fascinating mess; At the moment, I'm considering it a "so bad it's good" experience, but in reality I know it's just plain bad.
    I saw this in the theatre upon release. It was one of the most disappointing experiences I've had this year, which is saying something because I've seen some pretty poor films in 2018. It was the first film I saw after MI:Fallout and the difference in quality was especially stark. What a waste of talent imho.

I had read some bad reviews before checking it out, but I tried to keep an open mind. Unfortunately the reviews were spot on this time round. It's an infuriating mess of a film. It reminded me a lot of Berg's The Kingdom, though I feel that film is pretty underrated. I liked that quite a bit. The scrap between Lauren Cohan and the hulking goon in the apartment in Mile 22 is a note for note knock off of a fight in The Kingdom between Jennifer Garner and a similar sized thug, though the latter was better executed.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    OUTLAW KING

outlawking_still_01_2.0.jpg

Violent, well-acted, but ultimately unfulfilling. There's a lot to recommend here; wonderfully shot Scottish landscapes and a very committed performance from Pine go a long way - but when the film ended I was left with a feeling of incompleteness. Still enjoyed it though.

What accent does he have in it ? Not American surely .

Nope. He gives a pretty good go of a Scottish accent. Does a decent job of it, too.

That's encouraging to know.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited November 2018 Posts: 7,854
    I'm doing a Marvel marathon in memory of Stan Lee. Going by release date and not including the MCU, I'm currently on Spider-Man.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »
    They Shall Not Grow Old 2018

Everyone needs to see this, the technical achievments are astounding and Peter Jackson and Co have done wonders.

It starts out quite lighthearted in the first segment of the film which is in B/W but when the film switches to colour, incredibly impressively considering the dirty word colourisation has been in the past, the detached feeling of watching stock vintage B/W footage is totally removed and it's so much more real in colour and that more harrowing to watch and Jackson is not holding back on the horrors of trench war fare.

The voice overs used show men talking about their experiences with warmth and humour, the sheer cheerful sounds of their voice when sometimes talking about the most horrible things is a testament to their resilience.

I'm not going to say it's thorougly enjoyable but it's fascinating, emotional and shocking and as I said everyone should see this if only to realise the sacrifices that were made and make us realise how lucky we are to live in the times we do. Just a shame the human race doesn't seem to have learned from it's mistakes.

As powerful and effective as the likes of Shindlers List and unlike that no Hollywood like devices used to give it a thrilling element that he most definitely doesn't need. Just the images and those voices make the time spent worthwhile but certainly not one you are likely to forget for sometime.

5/5

Watched it on BBC 2 last night. Found it totally fascinating and that moment where the black and white footage adjusts its frame rate and the colour begins to seep in will make the hairs on your neck stand up.

Unfortunately, I am seeing a lot of detractors of it on social media but for me, it was a very powerful experience. Jackson's aim was to get people talking about the horrors of WWI for the boys in the dirt and I think he nailed it.

Completely agree, I think he nailed it perfectly, one of his greatest achievments of his career and makes up for wasting years on those awful Hobbitt films.

Reminds you of his talent, although the real stars of this are the men and their voices, their accounts of such a terrible time in their lives with such warmth and humour.

I won't deny I did think what a huge waste of human life and the conditions they fought in were truly horrific, though like I said their sacrifice should have taught us more as a race, which unfortunately in my view it hasn't and the current situation around the world just proves that.

Sorry to get political but it's hard not to when you witness such a thing even from the comfort of your own living room.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Shardlake, to be fair to the man himself, he came into the Hobbit films late and lost a solid year or two of prep work that he had with the LOTR trilogy. I think what we got would've been so much better had he not lost all that time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Shardlake, to be fair to the man himself, he came into the Hobbit films late and lost a solid year or two of prep work that he had with the LOTR trilogy. I think what we got would've been so much better had he not lost all that time.

Far too much CGI for my liking and also stretching a small childrens novel into 3 epic long films did not help. He should have made just one, clear smacks of making money over being loyal to the text.

I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy bar Return of the King not knowing when to finish but The Hobbit was painful, 40 minutes of washing up is how my Wife characterised the first film, then we were foolish to go and see the next one on the big screen.

We gave the 3rd one about 10 minutes on TV before turning it off. They Shall Not Grow Old is a much better use of his talents and time.

I don't even think GDT would have made a decent fist of it, stretching it to 3 films was always going to be the biggest problem for me and the films that came out of it confirmed my suspicions.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With that year or two extra for prep, we wouldn't have had anywhere near the amount of CGI we got, I'm sure. I actually didn't mind the first installment, but it got goofier and more CGI-driven the further along they went. That last one was horrible, will keep me from ever rewatching the trilogy I imagine.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    rocky-v1_0629-.-1500.fit-to-width.431x431.q80.png

I noticed Best Buy has all 6 of the Rocky movies on Steelbook for a mere $24.99, so I HAD to get it. My friend and I just did the Rocky Run in Philadelphia this past weekend, so I was in a very 'Rocky' mood these past few days.

RaceInfoMedals.jpg

I'm enjoying a nice little Rocky marathon- currently working my way through part II. It's such a strange feeling, being older than Stallone in these first 2 movies (30 in part 1, 33 in part 2).

Bargain! The series are my goto motivation movies, I am due a rewatch.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Godfather: Part Two (1974) dir. Francis Ford Coppola . The movie that proved that sequels could be as good as the original. I still prefer the first, but really these two movies go together so well it’s hard to imagine one without the other.
    Really enjoyed watching this again and it prompted me to dig Mario Puzo’s book out of my To Be Read Box and get reading!
    rocky-v1_0629-.-1500.fit-to-width.431x431.q80.png

RaceInfoMedals.jpg

I revisited those films earlier this year and became hooked. I still need to get the less popular 5th film. Haven't seen it in ages.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    A Trip to the Moon (1902).

I watched the restored 2011 version of the film, which is in color (some colored prints were produced though most of them were B&W) and features a music score by French electronic band Air (the original film didn't have a definitive score). My thoughts on this specific presentation:

Lovely film. Its ambitious but straightforward, uncomplicated narrative makes it feel fresh and compelling given how movies today are much more elaborate and twisty. The aged footage also looks fresh and engaging-- shaky and lively with those splashes of imperfect color almost "dancing" over the images-- and the juxtaposition of live action and paintings is highly pleasing visually. The music score lends the film a different quality than it might've had back in the day: by being of a different style and time than the images, it turns the movie into this somewhat timeless experience. It's no longer the original film presented in a straightforward way, but filtered through the history of cinema and the years that have seen it continue to gain appreciation.

Though I've only watched this 2011 version of the movie, I think a B&W version, with pristine image quality and with a score more appropriate for the era would still hold great interest, since one can sense an intrinsic ambition and scope in the film beyond those aesthetic differences. That said, the touch of the modern score and the visual imperfections, not to mention the color, add a very interesting dimension to the film that it otherwise wouldn't have.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 2,081
    I watch too many movies...

The Kids Are All Right (2010)
    Finally got around to watching this. Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Mia Wasikowska were good. I had no idea what the story was about, but was pleasantly surprised that it was a not commonly seen story and quite liked it - though I also understand the criticism of one aspect of the plot, but also, considering the writer/director, it's surely far less of an issue than it might be otherwise. Anyway... an awarded screenplay, a critically acclaimed movie that got Oscar nominations and made money, but no films since then, just some tv work (Olive Kitteridge was really good, awarded as well)... hmm... I can only hope that it's Cholodenko's own choice somehow, and not the usual thing.

The Master (2012)
    A re-watch. I still didn't actually enjoy this, but it is kinda interesting, and has great acting from Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams.

MV5BMzcyNTc1ODQzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTgzMzY4MTI@._V1_.jpg

A Ghost Story (2017)
    David Lowery again with Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck. A fascinating, unusual movie. Not recommended for people with short attention spans.

Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
    A re-watch. Good.

Thelma (2017)
    The Fifth Estate (2013)
    Woodshock (2017)
    The Light Between Oceans (2016)
    Flight (2012)
    Jules et Jim (1961)
    The Butler (2013)
    Hold The Dark (2018)
    Young Adult (2011)
    Remember (2015)

Moneyball (2011)
    A re-watch. Good.

The Big Lebowski (1998)
    A re-watch. Still fantastic.

The Adventures of Pricilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
    The Big Sick (2017)
    Down With Love (2003)
    Leatherheads (2008)

The Bourne Identity (2002)
    The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
    The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
    The Bourne Legacy (2012)

I had only seen the first one before, and didn't remember much anything about it. The rest are forgettable as well. Very early into the second one I just rolled my eyes at the over-used kill-the-woman trope - that sure didn't take long to happen.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    A Trip to the Moon (1902).

I watched the restored 2011 version of the film, which is in color (some colored prints were produced though most of them were B&W) and features a music score by French electronic band Air (the original film didn't have a definitive score). My thoughts on this specific presentation:

Lovely film. Its ambitious but straightforward, uncomplicated narrative makes it feel fresh and compelling given how movies today are much more elaborate and twisty. The aged footage also looks fresh and engaging-- shaky and lively with those splashes of imperfect color almost "dancing" over the images-- and the juxtaposition of live action and paintings is highly pleasing visually. The music score lends the film a different quality than it might've had back in the day: by being of a different style and time than the images, it turns the movie into this somewhat timeless experience. It's no longer the original film presented in a straightforward way, but filtered through the history of cinema and the years that have seen it continue to gain appreciation.

Though I've only watched this 2011 version of the movie, I think a B&W version, with pristine image quality and with a score more appropriate for the era would still hold great interest, since one can sense an intrinsic ambition and scope in the film beyond those aesthetic differences. That said, the touch of the modern score and the visual imperfections, not to mention the color, add a very interesting dimension to the film that it otherwise wouldn't have.

Aww... I'd love to see both versions.
    Belleville Rendezvous. (2007)
    Sylvain Chomets wonderful quirky animation telling the story of a grandmother and her cyclist obsessed grandson, the latter taking part in the Tour De France, but is kidnapped, and it's up to the granny, her obese dog, and three old .music hall entertainers to rescue him from nefarious mafia types!!
    Beautifully animated, both in character and background rendering, with glorious and funny set pieces (the dogs hating of trains, a stunning sea crossing in a pedalo, one of the vaudeville singers unusual fishing technique, and an exciting chase finale) and a few nods to Jacques Tati (who Chomet would use for his follow up film, The Illusionist, from an unused Tati script!) This is a delight!
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    MILE 22
    Agreed. I just saw this a couple of days ago myself and I'm asking myself "what the hell was Wahlberg thinking?" when he chose to play the role. The story is a simple one: get someone from A to B under a lot of heavy artillery with the enemy closing in from all four corners. Trouble is, that alone, isn't enough to sustain the movie's short running time. It's such an uninvolving story, I was quite shocked at how straightforward the whole thing was. As you pointed out, Wahlberg was very unlikable in the role, which I'm sure is probably closer the actor himself in real life than his other movie portrayals have been. I'm still unsure as to why Wahlberg is considered a bankable Movie Star, but that's another story. Watching this I was almost tempted to rewatch the unfairly maligned The Gauntlet with Clint Eastwood to remind myself how a simple idea can be expanded upon and also made enjoyable with a "real" Movie Star at the helm.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    L.A. Confidential

One of the best films I'd ever seen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955)

MV5BNTliNGMzOTUtNDliMi00OTNhLWJhZDAtMmQ1NTMzYjNmMjA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMxNDE2ODU@._V1_.jpg

One of the best films ever recommended to me on this forum! Mitchum is genuinely frightening in this one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

MV5BNTliNGMzOTUtNDliMi00OTNhLWJhZDAtMmQ1NTMzYjNmMjA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMxNDE2ODU@._V1_.jpg

One of the best films ever recommended to me on this forum! Mitchum is genuinely frightening in this one.

Between that, and Cape Fear, it's a close race for the most chilling Mitch performance.
    The Night of the Hunter is among my all-time favorites. Terrific film all around. Cape Fear is good too.
    L.A. Confidential

I recently rewatched it. It is a truly awesome movie. Liked even better then the first time.

"Rollo Tomasi"
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    L.A. Confidential

I recently rewatched it. It is a truly awesome movie. Liked even better then the first time.

"Rollo Tomasi"

Funny thing is that i was half expecting some crazy reveal that the corrupt Captain would end up being that "person"
    Live Free or Die Hard

It's a Film I have honestly come to love. Especially after A good Day to Die hard I just find this a breath of Fresh air. I know this is going to sound weird but I feel what makes the original 4 great is none of them were initially die hard films. Over all the film is really well done I am sorry but I don't get why people hate it. especially considering other late day sequels like Crystal Skull A good day to Die Hard Terminator 3 or Salvation yeah its one of my favorites

one quick thing the daughter thing was weird I swear they were gonna make it the wife but I guess the idea of a hot 40/42 year old wife is odd or something... anyways two weeks Die hard with a vengeance and I turn 32

Films I have seen in 2018 (I don't think I am splitting up bond and non bond this year as I don't know how many I am actually gonna see)
    1. Batman Begins
    2. Casino Royale
    3. The A-team
    4. Mission impossible fallout
    5. The final girls
    6. Clue
    7. Bohemian Rhapsody
    8. A simple favor
    9. The Saint
    10. Live Free or Die hard
    11. Taken 2
    12. Halloween
    13. Taken 3
    14. The Shadow
    15. Batman Under The Red Hood
    16. Batman Gotham Knight
    17. The Meg
    18. Big trouble little China
    19. Halloween 2
    20. Taken
    21. Ferris buller's day off
    22. Valley girl
    23. Nonstop
    24. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    25. Unknown
    26. Classic Artists presents Yes
    27. Stand By Me
    28. Before Sunrise
    29. Star Wars Episode 1 Phantom Menace
    30. A walk among the Tombstones
    31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    32. Arthur
    33. Goonies
    34. 9012live
    35. Before Midnight
    36. Revenge of the nerds
    37. Grease
    38. Before Sunset
    39. Porky’s
    40. A Good Day to Die Hard
    41. Porky's 2

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Stephen King movies
    1. Stand By Me

Halloween series
    1. Halloween
    2. Halloween 2

Corey Feldman movies
    1. Stand by me
    2. Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    3. Goonies

Die Hard Franchise
    1. Live Free or Die Hard
    2. A Good Day to Die Hard

Taken Series

1. Taken 2
    2. Taken 3 (I put this second because at least there is somewhat of a twist and its not the same formula.)
    3. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series
    1. Batman Begins
    2. The A-team
    3. Taken 2
    4. Taken 3
    4. Taken
    5. Non Stop
    6. Unknown
    7. Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace
    8. A walk among the tombstones

Batman/Dc films ( as I can guarantee I will see more then just Batman Begins this year)
    1. Batman Begins
    2. Batman Under the red hood
    3. Batman Gotham Knight
    4. Batman Mask of the Phantasm

Films in 2018
    1. Mission Impossible Fallout
    2. Bohemian rhapsody
    3. A simple favor
    4. The Meg

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,376
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Excellent film it's a shame its Charles Laughtons only movie he directed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    COUNT DRACULA S GREAT LOVE
    0*p5FLYXvSU8XfSM6X.jpg

Pretty kitchy and horrible in many ways, but it has a distinct European 70s style that I very much enjoyed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Girl in the Spider’s Web (2018)
    JzmW9uo.jpg

I’ll start by saying I am a fan of all the earlier Stieg Larsson Lisbeth Salander films, despite not having read any of the source novels. My favourite story is the Girl Who Played With Fire, and so I was especially disappointed and upset when Sony decided not to continue with the English trilogy, despite having secured Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara on contract at the start for two possible sequels. The trailer for this new iteration (based on a continuation novel penned by David Lagercrantz) didn’t impress me all that much, but despite this I decided to check it out and I’m reasonably glad I did. While the Fincher film was a slow burn dark thriller with mature themes and rich characterizations, this Fede Alvarez directed sequel (of sorts) is all action from the get-go. Claire Foy’s Salander is more of a goth female James Bond or Jason Bourne here, who literally ends up saving the world. Claire's no Rooney (not by a long shot), but she’s serviceable in the part. Think Brosnan after Dalton. Sverrir Gudnason takes over for Craig and barely registers. Lakeith Stanfield, Sylvia Hoeks & Vicky Krieps also costar, but are all wasted given their talents. Having said that, Hoeks shows once again (as she did in Blade Runner 2049) that she is a force to be reckoned with who can command a screen with her charisma and presence.

There is very little of the nuance from the earlier film either, and instead we get a lot of predictable genre tropes, including one that I won’t spoil which could have been directly lifted from SP. Still, if one has low enough expectations like I did, this is a pretty slick & polished thrill ride with enough moodiness & angst thrown in to keep it interesting - just make sure those expectations are sufficiently low. Recommended with caveats.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames I saw Spider's Web too a few days ago, right after the Suspiria remake, so a very female-driven movie going week for me (save for the Fantastic Beasts sequel). And I agree with you, that film was like a reverse CR to DAD (with some Jason Bourne mixed in) - way more action packed, way more gadgets, way more superhuman Salander, but still they made a pretty stylish & fun action/thriller even if entirely disposable compared to the previous outing with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara. Of all recent very inferior sequels, this one I'd definitely rewatch again on Blu Ray, solely for the very fast-pace storytelling and the pretty good action sequences (the airport one seemed directly lifted from Bourne Ultimatum).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The Girl in the Spider’s Web (2018)
    JzmW9uo.jpg

I’ll start by saying I am a fan of all the earlier Stieg Larsson Lisbeth Salander films, despite not having read any of the source novels. My favourite story is the Girl Who Played With Fire, and so I was especially disappointed and upset when Sony decided not to continue with the English trilogy, despite having secured Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara on contract at the start for two possible sequels. The trailer for this new iteration (based on a continuation novel penned by David Lagercrantz) didn’t impress me all that much, but despite this I decided to check it out and I’m reasonably glad I did. While the Fincher film was a slow burn dark thriller with mature themes and rich characterizations, this Fede Alvarez directed sequel (of sorts) is all action from the get-go. Claire Foy’s Salander is more of a goth female James Bond or Jason Bourne here, who literally ends up saving the world. Claire's no Rooney (not by a long shot), but she’s serviceable in the part. Think Brosnan after Dalton. Sverrir Gudnason takes over for Craig and barely registers. Lakeith Stanfield, Sylvia Hoeks & Vicky Krieps also costar, but are all wasted given their talents. Having said that, Hoeks shows once again (as she did in Blade Runner 2049) that she is a force to be reckoned with who can command a screen with her charisma and presence.

There is very little of the nuance from the earlier film either, and instead we get a lot of predictable genre tropes, including one that I won’t spoil which could have been directly lifted from SP. Still, if one has low enough expectations like I did, this is a pretty slick & polished thrill ride with enough moodiness & angst thrown in to keep it interesting - just make sure those expectations are sufficiently low. Recommended with caveats.

I haven't seen this yet but I found the book to be pretty rubbish so I'd be surprised if the film was any better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007, I agree with your comment about 'reverse' CR to DAD. Spider's Web is still sufficiently dark and moody, unlike Brosnan's last film, but in terms of depth of characterization it's very true. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it again too. The action is great and Hoeks rocks.

@CraigMooreOHMSS, I'm not sure if you'll like it if you're a reader of any of the books. This is perhaps one of those films, like the Dan Brown Langdon adaptations, where one shouldn't have source novel expectations, but just go along for the ride.
    The Shape of Water (2017). Third watch. Definitely cemented as one of my favorite films at this point.