Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Same with Richard Armitage at 47. It would have been interesting to see him have a crack.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Same with Richard Armitage at 47. It would have been interesting to see him have a crack.

He's always had too big a nose for me.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Racist!

Racist!

I'm a secret Nose-ist actually ;)

Racist!

I knew it! For shame Bazza.

Old Rich does have quite a nose. Yet it fits his face. Quite Hoagy Carmichael-esque? Or Ian Fleming's drawing of 007? I see a certain resemblance. Still, it's a moot point as he's too old.

Racist!

I knew it! For shame Bazza.

Old Rich does have quite a nose. Yet it fits his face. Quite Hoagy Carmichael-esque? Or Ian Fleming's drawing of 007? I see a certain resemblance. Still, it's a moot point as he's too old.

True,it is moot alas.

Same with Gerard Butler in his '300' days or 'Rocknrolla'...he looked excellent in those 2 films,but again moot.

It says a lot for the present batch of 'candidates' doesn't it ? ,when everyone seems to be remembering the actors who missed out last time rather than them.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Having just finished the series 'Bodyguard' with Richard Madden, I'm not entirely sold on his Bondian abilities just yet. He's very good in the role of David Budd, but is he a suitable James Bond? There are instances of charm and steely coldness. A man good at his job. I wouldn't be upset if Madden were cast, however I think I'd always feel we might do a little better. He has quite a strong Scots brogue that might go against him.

Of course we are speculating idly. Daniel Craig is still OO7 in Bond 25. You will be there to see for yourself.
    It says a lot for the present batch of 'candidates' doesn't it ? ,when everyone seems to be remembering the actors who missed out last time rather than them.

Exactly!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Armitage, Butler etc. are yesterday's news.

I'd honestly be fine with any of the current contenders who is at least 6 ft. I suppose that's Stevens, Cavill, Hiddleston or Fassbender based on that list previously posted. I can accept Turner too even if he falls a bit short of the bar.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'd honestly be fine with any of the current contenders who is at least 6 ft. I suppose that's Stevens, Cavill, Hiddleston or Fassbender based on that list previously posted. I can accept Turner too even if he falls a bit short of the bar.

Other way around for me. Turner first, rest second. Cavill is a muscle cartoon, Hiddleston is to effete, Fassbender is too old, Stevens...well maybe Stevens second, the others a very far away third.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Univex wrote: »

Other way around for me. Turner first, rest second. Cavill is a muscle cartoon, Hiddleston is to effete, Fassbender is too old, Stevens...well maybe Stevens second, the others a very far away third.
    I didn't order my choices earlier. Fassbender would probably be my top pick as of now, but I agree he's getting on.

I'm currently viewing TND, and watched NSNA & TLD over the past couple of nights. One thing I can say about these Bond actors is that I probably wouldn't have been able to tell accurately beforehand how they would deliver in the role until they actually got it. There were indications of course, based on their prior work, but ultimately the Bond role is one that they all stepped up to, due to its inevitable importance to their careers.

To a degree that's why I'm reasonably open to anyone as long as they have the right physical characteristics (age, height, body build, voice and style). I have my favourites, but think all of the six have been at least reasonably satisfactory.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333
    bondsum wrote: »
    Jack O'Connell: — Very London. Medium to light. Voice Type: Tenor

Isn't he from Derby?
    Yes, you're right. But I was basing my judgement on recent interviews where he'd clearly adopted a London estuary accent, otherwise known as a Mockney. Christian Bale also changes his accent during interviews, sounding more London than where he spent his childhood in Wales, Surrey and Dorset. Maybe it has something to do with them wanting to lose their original accent for hireability purposes? After all, does Craig sound like he's from Liverpool or anywhere from that region?
    Univex wrote: »

Yes, same here. I still have Turner in first place, followed closely by Dan Stevens second. I'd then have Cavill in third. The height difference between Turner and Stevens is marginal, so I don't have a problem there. With regards to Hiddleston, I just don't want an overly effete Bond played as a dandy. I like the guy in other movies though. Realistically Fassbender is too old, which means by the time B26 starts production they'll be soon looking for another replacement. Otherwise Fassbender would've been my number one choice had it been ten year's ago.
  • manovermanover uk
    What about Aaron Taylor Johnson?..he's a good talent..will be about the right age come casting time?
    Personally, @manover, I think Aaron Taylor Johnson's too baby-faced with a weak chin for Bond, but he's a more credible choice than Jack O'Connell IMHO.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 2,896
    Yes, you're right. But I was basing my judgement on recent interviews where he'd clearly adopted a London estuary accent, otherwise known as a Mockney.

The ugliest accent in the world, in my unhumble opinion. Ah for the days of George Sanders and James Mason!

Jack O'Connell: — Very London. Medium to light. Voice Type: Tenor

Isn't he from Derby?
    Yes, you're right. But I was basing my judgement on recent interviews where he'd clearly adopted a London estuary accent, otherwise known as a Mockney. Christian Bale also changes his accent during interviews, sounding more London than where he spent his childhood in Wales, Surrey and Dorset. Maybe it has something to do with them wanting to lose their original accent for hireability purposes? After all, does Craig sound like he's from Liverpool or anywhere from that region?

I don't know about "wanting to lose their original accent" - and as for getting jobs, surely their own accent is meaningless as long as actors can do the accent required for the role. But it's normal for people to lose their original accents eventually if they're no longer in contact with it (at all or not much), it's just a natural process. So if one moves to another area/country and lives surrounded by people with a different accent (also in their own homes - spouse, kids having another accent), then the original accent fades away eventually. Even more so when people move away from where they grew up at a young age.

On top of that, when doing interviews actors can still be using the most recent or the next accent they've acquired for work, or be sort of between accents. People are different, some people switch accents with more ease than others. For some it's a process, for some it's like snapping fingers.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    Having just finished the series 'Bodyguard' with Richard Madden, I'm not entirely sold on his Bondian abilities just yet. He's very good in the role of David Budd, but is he a suitable James Bond? There are instances of charm and steely coldness. A man good at his job. I wouldn't be upset if Madden were cast, however I think I'd always feel we might do a little better. He has quite a strong Scots brogue that might go against him.

Of course we are speculating idly. Daniel Craig is still OO7 in Bond 25. You will be there to see for yourself.

He toned down his Scottish accent hugely in Game Of Thrones, so I don't think that would be an issue. His stature would, however.
    I am willing to bet whoever is Bond number 7 it won’t be any of my top 5 choices
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am willing to bet whoever is Bond number 7 it won’t be any of my top 5 choices

Same. Would love for Luke Evans to be the next Bond, but it won't happen.
    Sure, actors can change their accent as did Madden in Game of Thrones. It wasn't a southern English accent, mind. Turner does it for Poldark, too. I don't entirely agree with @Tuulia's assessment that it's not important to lose their regional accent as they're meant to be actors playing a role at the end of the day. Presentation is everything and if it means pipping someone else to the role, or being overlooked because your accent isn't deemed suitable, then an actor is likely to iron out his regional accent and use everything at their disposal to gain that advantage. I also don't believe in losing the accent and adopting another by sheer osmosis. There's plenty of actors who have lived abroad for decades and who haven't lost the accent that they'd perfected when they first started out. After all, Roger Moore was a Souf Londoner with a cockney accent, just like Michael Cain, before he enrolled in elocution lessons. Roger has lived all over the world, but he kept the same accent that he'd worked hard at to achieve. Helen Mirren is another example. Her father was a London cabbie. She of course worked hard at losing her cockney accent. There's 1,000s of more examples. Some say it's different nowadays in England, most of the acting jobs go to people from privileged backgrounds. The Guardian even did a story a couple of year's ago when they stated academics from the London School of Economics and Goldsmiths College, in a peer-reviewed study, found that only 27% of actors come from a working-class background and that the profession is “heavily skewed towards the privileged”.

The bigger question is whether it matters. Well, not to me it doesn't because I'm not an actor. But if I was, the first thing I'd so is make sure I'm not only eligible for roles in Coronation Street or Eastenders.
    deA1YT
    renno61 wrote: »
    andrew-lincoln-1.jpg
    Leaving Walking Dead possible next Bond Andrew Lincoln

At age 45, wouldn't he be too old by now? It's the same issue with Fassbender, etc.

Depends on which direction they want to go
    deA1YT
    andrew-lincoln-1.jpg
    Leaving Walking Dead possible next Bond Andrew Lincoln

At age 45, wouldn't he be too old by now? It's the same issue with Fassbender, etc.

Depends on which direction they want to go
    What, you mean the geriatric direction? That's the only way it can go if you cast an actor who is already going to be 48 (or whatever age he'll be when B26 starts) as his first Bond movie.
    The Guardian even did a story a couple of year's ago when they stated academics from the London School of Economics and Goldsmiths College, in a peer-reviewed study, found that only 27% of actors come from a working-class background and that the profession is “heavily skewed towards the privileged”.
    I could imagine it would be easier to find character faces if there were more working class based actors. When I watched the tv series Gomorrha, admittedly Italian and not English, but anyhow, I found many supporting characters to be brilliant actors, because they really looked like weathered thugs and not like actors. It turned out they all weren´t actors, but People from the very neighborhood the series was Shooting in.

One of my top choice would be Tom Mison, he may need to bulk up some thou.
    He just joined the new Watchmen series
    Sure, actors can change their accent as did Madden in Game of Thrones. It wasn't a southern English accent, mind. Turner does it for Poldark, too. I don't entirely agree with @Tuulia's assessment that it's not important to lose their regional accent as they're meant to be actors playing a role at the end of the day. Presentation is everything and if it means pipping someone else to the role, or being overlooked because your accent isn't deemed suitable, then an actor is likely to iron out his regional accent and use everything at their disposal to gain that advantage. I also don't believe in losing the accent and adopting another by sheer osmosis. There's plenty of actors who have lived abroad for decades and who haven't lost the accent that they'd perfected when they first started out. After all, Roger Moore was a Souf Londoner with a cockney accent, just like Michael Cain, before he enrolled in elocution lessons. Roger has lived all over the world, but he kept the same accent that he'd worked hard at to achieve. Helen Mirren is another example. Her father was a London cabbie. She of course worked hard at losing her cockney accent. There's 1,000s of more examples. Some say it's different nowadays in England, most of the acting jobs go to people from privileged backgrounds. The Guardian even did a story a couple of year's ago when they stated academics from the London School of Economics and Goldsmiths College, in a peer-reviewed study, found that only 27% of actors come from a working-class background and that the profession is “heavily skewed towards the privileged”.

The bigger question is whether it matters. Well, not to me it doesn't because I'm not an actor. But if I was, the first thing I'd so is make sure I'm not only eligible for roles in Coronation Street or Eastenders.

That's not surprising at all. Almost every time I make a search of an actor or actress on Wikipedia and start reading, they turn out to be from – if not privileged - at least upper middle class type of backgrounds.
    Yet another Baby face.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Yet another Baby face.

He appears to be another who need a beard to enhance his masculinity.

tom-mison_62870.html
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Yet another Baby face.

Seems to me Baby face, to small, to old you can't win, remember Daniel Craig some off the comments were disgraceful but now its don't go Craig. I originally said Andrew Lincoln but was told he to old.
    Mison would be 40+ when Daniel Craig leaves.
    Wasn't Hoagy Carmicheal one of the inspirations for Bond and has any actor who player the part looked like him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The “Hoagy Carmichael” standard is meaningless to casting Bond.