CLOSED

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have cut out all the news channels that I know are just propaganda, and that have been caught lying numerous times.

And which ones would you consider to be truthful?

This one?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Murdock wrote: »
    :D
    fiSyxEpl.jpg

With that little footnote in mind that what those 'left wing extremists' want in the US, like universal healthcare (the horror! EVERYBODY is taken care of!) is in some sort standard in most northern european countries. And we all know what dictatorial soviet-hellholes the likes of Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and Switserland are.....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Frankly, I am reading many news sources. I still consider the Washington Post to be best and most balanced, in my opinion, but not perfect. From the major U.S. newspapers that is. I also read L.A. Times, Chicago Tribune, Miami Herald, And others from time to time.

I read the NY Times now only with a very skeptical attitude about their timing, their headlines, their emphasis. They are not my "go to" source for balanced reporting but I keep an eye on them. For example, Maggie Haberman is a joke; compromised with Trump and sends out distraction all the time. The NY Times very good report on Trump's fraud and criminality in his past was published the same week as the height of publicity around Kavanaugh's confirmation hearing. I don't blame the reporters; they did a great job. I blame the editors and others in charge for the timing, which really lessened the impact of that report. They knew it would get a bit buried and just wanted it out there then. The NY Times have fallen down far; I respect them a lot less.

Of course it goes without saying that Russia Today and Fox News are unacceptable. Sadly, many tv stations run by Sinclair in the U.S. have been ordered to push pro Trump, far right propaganda. Some employees have quit because of this.

So yes, we need to read many sources, including globally.

And just to add that YES, the current state of the GOP and this Trump administration is far, far worse than anything the Democrats have done in the past. I have never been a "one party" only voter. Never. But it is absolutely essential that Democrats are voted for in overwhelming numbers these mid terms, and in the future, to overcome voter suppression. They are needed ^ seriously needed - to help balance out our government. The current checks and balances have all but disappeared. The Supreme Court not is too biased far right. It is a far more difficult situation than in the past.
    fallen down far; I respect them a lot less.

Of course it goes without saying that Russia Today and Fox News are unacceptable.

And so you don t read those?
    I read excerpts from them, yes - but I do not go to them for truth sources, no. I read many "sides" of things, Thunderfinger. I try to stay informed as to what is being spread around in the news.
    Excerpts are never truth sources.
    Of course, but you asked me if I read them. I won't read them fully often, though I have read full pieces from Russia Today. And RT and Fox have certainly shown to be quite untruthful, false sources pushing propaganda that is, in my opinion, against the very heart of my country's foundations, rights, and goals.
    They all push propaganda.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just listen to me for your daily news folks, I'm right 100% of the time, even when I'm wrong.
    YOU I listen to, @Creasy47.
    (Doesn't mean I obey all your orders, but I do listen ...) ;)
    YOU I listen to, @Creasy47.
    (Doesn't mean I obey all your orders, but I do listen ...) ;)

That's the spirit!!
  • I have cut out all the news channels that I know are just propaganda, and that have been caught lying numerous times.

And which ones would you consider to be truthful?

This one?

This One

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2018 Posts: 17,691

So do you. Sometimes propaganda is also the truth. That's the trick- hearing something pushed by a side to back up their argument CAN be the truth, but it might also be pure BS. That's where we have to put on our Sherlock Holmes hats and go to work.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So, if I post a picture from a Nazi concentration camp circa 1944 and state that Trump's goons are doing this right now to Mexicans in detention, should we all buy that too?
    @Thunderfinger, are you seeing what I'm saying now-?
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,564

I thought we had agreed that "everybody does it" wasn't going to fly around here. There's a difference between trying to present a story in a fashion that puts your side in the best light, and flat out lying. Trump flat out lies, multiple times a day. His people are starting to follow his lead, as per the photo above misrepresented by Ginni Thomas. The NY Times may well be slanting stories from time to time but they aren't flat out lying the way Trump, Fox News, the Saud family and Russia Today are.
    There is a lot of aggression and conspiracy theories flying around here. Reminds me of Alex Jones.
  • And in other news, someone tried to bomb George Soros the other day. No conspiracy theory, just cold hard fact. There's impassioned dialogue and there's naked aggression, try to discern the difference between them.
  • Oh but wait, still more news: the Secret Service has intercepted bombs addressed to the homes of Barack Obama and Bill & Hillary Clinton. A bomb was also sent to the offices of CNN. Now since "both sides do it" I suppose it's only a matter of time until we have some bombs sent to the offices of Fox News, the homes of the Koch brothers, and to Mar-A-Lago. Until such time as these bombs are discovered, can we PLEASE dispense with the "both sides do it" canard? Thanks ever so...
    Trump will never fully realize what his rhetoric can do to his supporters. You can't deem the press the "true enemy of the people" then feign shock and disgust when their offices are shot up or they're mailed bombs.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There is a lot of aggression and conspiracy theories flying around here. Reminds me of Alex Jones.

For someone who claims to be impartial you do use an amazing lack of evidence to underline your points. I'd almost think you're a presidential candidate.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs & @Creasy47 I told you before Trump is heading towards civil war with his rethoric. This I think is only the beginning. It won't stop him, it'll just push him further, with or without a 'blue wave'. Good thing I bought puts today, the stock markets are going down for the long run, again, thanks to Trump, but he won't claim that 'success' now will he? He's going to blama Obama, or the Democrats.
    Trump's fear mongering is a very old playbook. He is not hiding it; he is obvious.
    It is up to us to truly not stand for it. Our only real recourse is voting and also communicating in strong terms with our govt representatives, and peaceful protests (which have been happening since his inauguration). And yes, they have been peaceful.

Meanwhile, I just saw this and wanted to share it. :)
    We are monkeys with money and guns.

Not to be offensive, but this indeed is how most Europeans (and afak people from other continents too) see the average American. And though there aren't many I met I'd put in this category, with the current events happening ((school) shootings, policies) the stereotipe does fit.
    Fear mongering ... not hiding it.

And thanks for your input, @CommanderRoss.
    And in other news, someone tried to bomb George Soros the other day. No conspiracy theory, just cold hard fact. There's impassioned dialogue and there's naked aggression, try to discern the difference between them.

Not to be offensive, but this indeed is how most Europeans (and afak people from other continents too) see the average American.

Well, that's indeed a shame, because if they bothered to do their research they would see that the majority of Americans favor things like, say, gun control. But I guess it's just easier for people to cling to their stereotypes.

In any case, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Escalus5 wrote: »

Not to be offensive, but this indeed is how most Europeans (and afak people from other continents too) see the average American.

Well, that's indeed a shame, because if they bothered to do their research they would see that the majority of Americans favor things like, say, gun control. But I guess it's just easier for people to cling to their stereotypes.

I doubt there is actually a study behind it.
    Probably not. Just more baseless speculation clogging up this thread.
  • Escalus5 wrote: »

I doubt there is actually a study behind it.

There are plenty of polls that have been taken, indicating Escalus5 is indeed correct.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Trump will never fully realize what his rhetoric can do to his supporters. You can't deem the press the "true enemy of the people" then feign shock and disgust when their offices are shot up or they're mailed bombs.

Maybe you can't. Maybe I can't. For Trump it's just business as usual.
This discussion has been closed.