Rank the actors

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    @Birdleson, the news that Brosnan is a Dylan fan has suddenly made me like him a hell of a lot more.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    The Elites
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Roger Moore

Tied. Brilliant Bonds
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. Daniel Craig

Very good but had potential to be even better.
    6. George Lazenby

I was visiting my grandmother and this is how she ranks them. Possibly the lowest I've ever seen Connery ranked.
    1. Craig- she thinks he's unbelievably hot. Especially his eyes and body. Loves the torture scene lol. Her favorites are his first three films.
    2. Brosnan- same reason as Craig.
    3. Moore-loved him in real life. You simply can't dislike Moore's personality.
    4. Dalton- she really likes LTK.
    5. Connery- handsome but she doesn't really care for his films.
    6. Lazenby- can't stand him and she refers to him as "horseface". However, she thinks he improved with age.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Remington wrote: »
    The Elites
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Roger Moore
    Quite right, and nicely put.
    Remington wrote: »
    Tied. Brilliant Bonds
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. Daniel Craig
    I watched CR last night and LTK tonight. I have to say I'm beginning to think I've been a bit harsh on Dalton. He gives an authentic and accessible portrayal of Bond in my view, in contrast to Craig who can be distant and robotic (outside of his star turn in CR), and Brosnan who was a bit affected and tended to overact imho. I'm inclined to move Dalton up a few notches but wish there was just one more film in his repertoire. If there was, he could very easily have been my #3.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm inclined to move Dalton up a few notches but wish there was just one more film in his repertoire. If there was, he could very easily have been my #3.

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Roger Moore
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Daniel Craig
  • NSGWNSGW London
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Daniel Craig
    4. Roger Moore
    5. George Lazenby
    6. Pierce Brosnan
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1/Sean Connery
    2/Daniel Craig

3/Roger Moore
    4/ Timothy Dalton
    5/George Lazenby

6/Pierce Brosnan (regrettably, since I think he's a decent man, I just never took to his Bond)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Not sure if I posted this before, but here it goes:

1. Connery/Moore
    2. Dalton/Brosnan
    3. Craig
    4. Lazenby
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Connery
    Craig
    Moore
    Brosnan
    Dalton

The Aussie
    1. Connery/Moore (tied)
    2. Dalton/Lazenby/Craig/Brosnan (tied)

That way no one Bond actor gets stuck being first or last place.
    1. Moore
    2. Connery
    3. Brosnan
    4. Craig
    5. Dalton
    6. Lazenby

As of right now.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,079
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    1. Connery
    2. Craig
    3. Moore
    4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby
    6. Dalton

George and Tim usually flip flop depending on if I get a good viewing out of their films.

Dalton was good in LTK but I feel that his performance in TLD is too inconsistent. It's a shame because the sniper scene is one of the best performances in the series. But the rest is sort of odd to me. I've always despised the carnival scenes and a few others through this film

I'll always chalk Georges inconsistencies to a lack of experience. To have your film debut be taking over the reigns of what was probably the largest and most popular film franchise at that time is no small feat.

Pierce was good for the late 90s. I couldn't really think of anyone at that time period who would fill the role as well as he did. Outside of GE, he suffered from films that were always action centered and with four films with four different directors, it poses a problem with consistency. His reign could have been better with Campbell directing all 4.

70s Roger is great, even if his MR performance seems sloppy or lazy at times. One of the largest performance dropoffs is between TSWLM and MR. Which is odd since it was the same team who did both. 80s Roger is hit or miss but his age was too much once it ended.

Connery and Craig are basically 1A and 1B. Craig is 1B only because of Spectre but you can only work with what has been given. I doubt we'll ever see a finer Bond performance than what we saw from 1962-1965 with Connery and that's why he's 1A
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Dalton
    4. Craig
    5. Lazenby
    6. Brosnan

I think I've been too harsh on Dalton in the past. Having recently rewatched his two entries, I believe he brought a lot to the role. There's an emotional accessibility to his Bond which is refreshing. I wish he had one more in his repertoire to make a better assessment of him, but I'm comfortable moving him up a few notches in my rankings on account of my most recent viewings. I'm not a fan of TLD, but my concern there is more with the film and D'Abo rather than Dalton.

Brosnan had his moments, but unfortunately TWINE really damages his rankings for me, as SP does for Craig. Both bottom of the barrel performances.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Currently:
    1. Timothy Dalton
    2. Sean Connery
    3. George Lazenby
    4. Pierce Brosnan
    5. Roger Moore
    6. Daniel Craig
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,185
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Daniel Craig
    3. Roger Moore
    4. Sean Connery
    5. George Lanzenby (seems too low, but he only had one film after all)
    6. Timothy Dalton

Connery and Moore will probably flip flop a lot
    1. BARRY NELSON

2. DAVID NIVEN

3. ROGER MOORE
    4. SEAN CONNERY

5. PIERCE BROSNAN
    6. GEORGE LAZENBY
    7. TIMOTHY DALTON
    8. DANIEL CRAIG
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    1. BARRY NELSON

2. DAVID NIVEN

3. ROGER MOORE
    4. SEAN CONNERY

5. PIERCE BROSNAN
    6. GEORGE LAZENBY
    7. TIMOTHY DALTON
    8. DANIEL CRAIG
    Well this is certainly different @ToTheRIght! I like it.

I haven't seen either Nelson or Niven's entries, but am curious to have a look now.
    1. BARRY NELSON

2. DAVID NIVEN

3. ROGER MOORE
    4. SEAN CONNERY

5. PIERCE BROSNAN
    6. GEORGE LAZENBY
    7. TIMOTHY DALTON
    8. DANIEL CRAIG

I haven't seen either Nelson or Niven's entries, but am curious to have a look now.

LOL! Ironically, I really like both Barry Nelson and Niven's different versions of Bond.

Barry Nelson later said someone told him it looked like he was trying to do his best Humphrey Bogart impression when he played Bond. However, he admitted he was nervousness as it was live television.
    He's definitely a type of noir/ detective style character one would see on the tube back then. When I read the books now, I picture that 1950's film noir era, especially the CR and LALD novels.
    1. BARRY NELSON

2. DAVID NIVEN

3. ROGER MOORE
    4. SEAN CONNERY

5. PIERCE BROSNAN
    6. GEORGE LAZENBY
    7. TIMOTHY DALTON
    8. DANIEL CRAIG

LOL! Ironically, I really like both Barry Nelson and Niven's different versions of Bond.

Barry Nelson later said someone told him it looked like he was trying to do his best Humphrey Bogart impression when he played Bond. However, he admitted he was nervousness as it was live television.
    He's definitely a type of noir/ detective style character one would see on the tube back then. When I read the books now, I picture that 1950's film noir era, especially the CR and LALD novels.
    Your description is certainly enticing. I'll definitely get a viewing in sometime soon. Love to see what they came up with back then.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2018 Posts: 6,779
    I’ve always been a bog David Niven fan and I think he was one of the best things about the CR spoof. However, can’t really rank him here as he was clearly playing another character entirely.
  • I like all of them but

1) Dalton. I've always liked those grizzled, badass world weary sort of characters and he played it to perfection. He was the first one I saw and none of the others have come close.

2) Brosnan. A cool, flashy action hero who bought Bond back with a bang. I've got a lot of fond memories of his era and I think he did a great job playing all the different sides of the character and really carrying his films in a way no other Bond had to.

3) Connery/Moore. Two icons who both set the standard. Feel bad putting them this low, really they should be at the top but this is just my personal preference.

4) Craig. I think he's the best actual actor by far, but I wasn't too keen on the overall direction of his era at first which is why he's lower than the others. Still really good though and I really like how his Bond has developed over time.

5) Lazenby. He's got so much potential in OHMSS. All of Connery's physical presence but also vulnerability when needed that really sells the danger he's in. If he'd stayed and grown into the role then I think he could have easily given any of the others a run for their money. But as it stands we've only got that one film, where he was mostly very good but still a bit wooden/awkward at times.
  • GBFGBF
    1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Dalton
    4. Brosnan
    5. Craig
    6. Lazemby

It is hard to rank the actors since their performances vary a lot. Dalton in TLD is almost perfect but not so in LTK where he is overacting a lot. Connery is mostly great but seems to be less interested in his job which is at least partly seen in his final two films. Moore is always highly motivated but simply too old and less convincing.
  • Actors ranked, along with their best scenes:

1) Connery: Train fight, FRWL.

2) Lazenby: Death scene OHMSS

3) Craig: Poison scene, CR

4) Brosnan: "No more Foreplay," scene GE

5) Dalton: M scene, LTK.

6) Moore: Kicking the assassin's car, FYEO
  • 1.Timothy Dalton
    2.Daniel Craig
    3.Sean Connery
    4.George Lazenby
    5.Pierce Brosnan
    6.Roger Moore
    1. Timothy Dalton
    2. Sean Connery
    3. Pierce Brosnan
    4. Roger Moore
    5. Geroge Lazenbh
    6. Daniel Craig
    1.Roger Moore
    2.Sean Connery
    3.Daniel Craig
    4.Pierce Brosnan
    5.Timothy Dalton
    6.George Lazenby
    Good to see the love for Dalton, Moore and Brosnan in these last few lists.

I'm reasonably close to the elimination game results (which I was happy to see Rog win, given it's the first competition run after his passing) .

1. Connery
    2. Moore
    3. Dalton
    4. Craig
    5. Lazenby
    6. Brosnan
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Connery
    Craig

Dalton
    Moore

Lazenby