Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm sure these the top actors are good at their job, but I think with them starring in it, the films would be boring. I want to drive Ferraris, Porches, speedboats. I want to do some skiing, play ice hockey, do some parachute stunts and kick-ass using martial arts. I want a top actress as Moneypenny and many Russian hot models to appear in every picture. The series is missing its fantasy element; they need to include some excitement and awesomeness!
    +1. You hit the nail right on the head, sir!
    Benny wrote: »
    Of course other than some fans wanting Christopher Nolan to helm Bond 26, there is absolutely no proof or even a thin veil of it that he will direct the next Bond outing.
    The question was asked on the Facebook page ForBondFansOnly whether Turner would make a good next Bond.
    The answer seemed to be a resounding...
    NO!

These the same Bond fans who all thought Daniel Craig would be a disaster?

Barbara picks the next Bond. We can just speculate. Before, his name was mentioned in the press, no one was talking about Daniel Craig as a possible contender. If I recall correctly, Daniel's name first came out in a Sun article. Before that he was not a name being thrown around on forums like this. I feel that whoever gets thejob isn't someone obvious or someone who will immediacy be embraced by fans - regardless of what the sacred ForBondFansOnly's Facebook page says.

I mean, this photo is from 2005 and I can understand why he wasn't on anyone's radar in the fan community.

d23827b0e7eb758557a67ad6a0f4d1d9.jpg

• edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Don't care much for the look of modern day Ferraris and Porches, but can get behind the above comment - +2!
    I think Eon will rebrand again when they reboot.

I think much is dependent on the tone the franchise adopts after Craig leaves. With Brosnan there was a definite sense that they had tried the “edgy and dangerous” route and now wanted someone more fun, charming and suave than Dalton. The opposite was the case in 2005. They wanted someone younger, rougher and a little more iconoclastic.

I think Eon will rebrand again when they reboot.

A more entertaining Bond:

I think much of the fan community want a return to the old Bond pictures which were designed purely to entertain (personally, I like the rougher and more subversive Craig films and hope they continue down this road with the next actor). The Craig era has been full of gloom and portent and I think Eon may move towards making more “fluffy” films. There was certainly a feeling in 2005 that reboots needed to be “gritty” and “dark”. Now with the Marvel films ruling the critics and box-office alike, I can see Eon wanting to follow the tone set by those films and make something a tad lighter.

Who could play this type of Bond? Probably not someone like Daniel Craig. In turn, the more edgy choices probably wouldn’t be considered (no Tom Hardy, Jack O’Connell, Idris Elba, etc) and perhaps names like Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston or James Norton would be more apt (boring white guys).

The only actor we know Barbara has on her list currently is Jack Huston (Baz Bambigboye reported he was under consideration in 2017) – however, I’m sure there are plenty of other people on her list.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4299532/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-ponders-play-007.html
    He seems to suit this archetype more than the “dark” or “gritty” Bond. Personally, I think he’s a little bland.

JACK-HUSTON-788134.jpg

The other name suggested by Baz is Sam Claflin – though this seems more of a personal choice from Baz himself. He also fails to inspire too much confidence in me.

39643970954_7c0a46526e_c.jpg

I feel in a risk-adverse studio system, we won’t get another Daniel Craig-esque piece of casting. Someone more agreeable will play the role next time out.

You asked "who could play this type of Bond?" I.e lighter and designed purely to entertain, but then you left out the prime candidate.

Aidan Turner fits that bill so perfectly, it's seems like the only way he won't be become the next James Bond, IMO, is if Nolan prefers to cast from his own pool of actors, Tom Hardy for instance.

I wouldn't be against Turner being cast, to make that clear - but we simply do not know if he's being considered at all. To assume the only way he won't get cast is if Nolan (who we don't know will direct, either) has his eyes on someone else, is way to early. For all we know, Jack Huston might be EON's preferred candidate.

I'm not going to comment on Huston's acting or on-screen presence, as the only thing I've ever seen him in, is Boardwalk Empire, and that role was nothing at all like Bond.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 688
    barryt007 wrote: »
    renno61 wrote: »
    A American actor to play Bond Josh Hartnett,?
    Andrew Lincoln from the Walking Dead would be my choice.

Andrew Lincoln is English.

I know
    Karl Urban maybe ?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He would be great but he's 46 now. He could be Indy though. ;)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Barbara picks the next Bond.

Unless the film is directed by Nolan. I don't see EON saying to Nolan 'This our new Bond, now go and direct.' It will be a joint effort at best.

The Bond race hots up!

6fbhua.jpg

fanbond123 wrote: »
    The Bond race hots up!

6fbhua.jpg

Hahahah!
    I think Jack Huston’s cinematic pulling power was demonstrated by the box office flop that was Ben Hur. For those that haven’t seen it and are huge advocates of Huston, I suggest you check out this dire turkey first. Personally, I find Huston rather too bland for Bond.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondsum wrote: »
    I think Jack Huston’s cinematic pulling power was demonstrated by the box office flop that was Ben Hur. For those that haven’t seen it and are huge advocates of Huston, I suggest you check out this dire turkey first. Personally, I find Huston rather too bland for Bond.

If we are basing things on cinematic pulling power, Craig never would have gotten the role in the first place.

If we are basing things on cinematic pulling power, Craig never would have gotten the role in the first place.

Wrong - he was on the raise. You cant say that about Huston. But he does look like Turner, so you surely like him.

Craig hadn’t headlined a big budget Hollywood movie before Bond so it was most definitely a gamble, but a gamble that paid off. Whereas Huston was given that privilege but failed to even draw the Christian crowd in America with his BO bomb. As Germanlady states: Craig’s profile was on the rise. I honestly couldn’t say the same for Jack Huston.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 5,185

He's just not the type. Plain and simple. Playing a reckless, arrogant, flamboyant womanizer would be too far out of his comfort Zone i think. And he has little charisma on screen from what i've seen. For Bond you will need all the charisma and confidence you can muster.
    That should rule Hardy out- if he ever had a chance (which he shouldn't, imho): https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/venom-tom-hardy-ruben-fleischer-sequel-tom-holland-spider-man-1201986327/
    Watching 50 shades of whatever (the last one) with the wife and I'll repeat what I said before : Jamie Dornan is better keep away from Bond. And change his name to Jamie Dormant.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm on the Cavill train.
    C8ty9Vul.jpg
    Cavill lost his chance a while ago.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm on the Cavill train.
    tumblr_mq4e5v6S9T1sxwyufo1_r1_250.gif
    Every time Cavill hears his name mentioned in correlation with Bond.

I think they could do a lot worse than him for sure. I've never seen him in very "serious" roles, so I don't know about his range as far as that goes. Think it depends on the direction they want to take with the character.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512
    The guy’s thick as pig shit and as socially aware as a time-travelling Victorian. I just want someone with brains and wit.
    I'm on the Cavill train.
    C8ty9Vul.jpg

Thats a good train to be on. He didn't make it to 2nd place in 2005 for nothing.
    Based on his personality i think he would dial the Humor up to a Roger Moore Level, even more than Brosnan, which would be... at least interesting to see in this age.
    00Agent wrote: »
    I'm on the Cavill train.
    C8ty9Vul.jpg
    Thats a good train to be on. He didn't make it to 2nd place in 2005 for nothing.
    Based on his personality i think he would dial the Humor up to a Roger Moore Level, even more than Brosnan, which would be... at least interesting to see in this age.
    I’m also on that train.
    00Agent wrote: »
    I'm on the Cavill train.
    C8ty9Vul.jpg
    I’m also on that train.

I still prefer Turner as he's more of a Wildcard right now. I like Cavill though and wouldn't be worried if the franchise were his.
    I think Cavill is the biggest Bond fanboy i have ever seen among actors.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Cavill just gives off "generic leading man" vibes. He has no aura or presence that is unique to him. Aidan Turner for instance has a dark intensity to him physically, and personality wise is very affable, which clues you in to where he would take the character. I have seen Cavill play Superman, and that is enough to tell me he is not right for Bond.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Turner is a lot worse. You can’t convince me otherwise.
    Cavill just gives off "generic leading man" vibes. He has no aura or presence that is unique to him. Aidan Turner for instance has a dark intensity to him physically, and personality wise is very affable, which clues you in to where he would take the character. I have seen Cavill play Superman, and that is enough to tell me he is not right for Bond.

You should probably see him in a few other films as well, before writing him completely off. As for Turner, he'd be neither better or worse than Cavill, IMO. All depends on the direction they want to take.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Turner is a lot worse. You can’t convince me otherwise.

He looks to Hispanic. Even when he doesn't have long hair he looks like he could be a Romany nomad.
    Just doesn't have a Bond look, and certainly not a big enough draw internationally to land the role with credibility for me.
    A long shot surely.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I'm watching McMafia at the moment and I'm now more convinced that james norton has what it takes to be the next 007
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Would be ridiculous if they picked him. Suggestions are flying by here like turds in a sewer.