Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Seriously?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,698
    Honestly, I don't really want another Indy movie. Unlike Bond who can be played by many, Indy IS Harrison Ford. And Harrison is just too old now. And they aren't even filming yet? Solo was an unnecessary fun film, but I don't want another of those either.
    I like KOTCS for what it was... it too was kind of unnecessary, but it worked to a degree, and even gave us a new pop culture reference (nuke the fridge). But THAT was shot ELEVEN years ago. Please, let's wave goodbye to this idea-?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ford will be roughly 77 when shooting begins. A year delay is the last thing this movie needed.
    Well, crap.

Somehow I don't think I'll hold my breath for Indy 5 at this point at all.
    79 year old indy. lol
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    79 year old indy. lol

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Retirement Home. Calling it now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Damn. I'm still seven years younger than HE was filming KOTCS. I don't know whether to feel really old or really young! Probably a mix... ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Damn. I'm still seven years younger than HE was filming KOTCS. I don't know whether to feel really old or really young! Probably a mix... ;)

I'll be reaching his LAST CRUSADE age in a few years, which I'm sure will go by fast.

I liked it better when Harrison Ford WAS about 46, and I was 14.
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    79 year old indy. lol

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Retirement Home. Calling it now.
    - The pension cheque? Come on, Marcus, that's just a fairy tale for children.
    - Maybe, but anybody who wields the cheque... is invincible.
    Whilst it's welcome news that Lawrence Kasdan was been brought back to rewrite the screenplay for Indy 5, one must remember that it was both Lucas and Philip Kaufman that came up with the original story, with Kaufman coming up with the Ark of the Covenant as the McGuffin. It was only when Harrison Ford joined the cast that he demanded that his dialogue be extensively rewritten which is where Kasdan came in. Otherwise, had Tom Selleck been Indiana Smith (as it was Spielberg that hated the surname and changed it to Jones) the script would've remained the Philip Kaufman version and been shot that way. It's also worth noting that Lucas wanted Kaufman to originally direct the movie, but Kaufman was working on The Outlaw Josey Wales. The idea was shelved as Lucas returned to his script for a movie called Star Wars instead.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't just bring back Philip Kaufman to come up with the original story and write the first draft. Kasdan gets a lot of praise for writing The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders, but on both occasions he was brought in to give screenplays written by others a good polish and act as a script doctor. I might be doing Kasdan an injustice but I think this is where his strengths lie, which might be good news for Indy 5 depending on the strength of the original story. Either way, I don't think Philip Kaufman gets enough love for his great scripts and brilliant dialogue. The Outlaw Josey Wales is testament to that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    During shooting of Temple of Doom, it wasreported that a total of six Indiana Jones movies were planned, coming out every third year. A shame that was aborted.
    Man that would have been nice.
    Though I wonder how the mid to late 90's Jones movies would have turned out-- take The Mummy for example. Back before CGI was perfected, yet they ran amok with it, lol.
    I've said before somewhere, take Ford circa Air Force One (1997), and that would have been an ideal time for Indy 4. He was older, but still totally believable.

Then 2008 really could have been his last appearance.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't really want another Indy movie. Unlike Bond who can be played by many, Indy IS Harrison Ford. And Harrison is just too old now. And they aren't even filming yet? Solo was an unnecessary fun film, but I don't want another of those either.
    Agreed. I cringe hearing names like Chris Pratt thrown around, nothing against the guy, it's just this role is Harrison Ford's. I actually felt the same way about Solo, although feedback tells me I should give it a chance.

Although if it is going through regardless, I like Bondsum's suggestion of Philip Kaufman, who is indeed underrated. How about him and Kasdan, who is also underused these days, being involved. If it's going out in style, do it with those who got it going to begin with.
    I might be totally wrong here, but I'm sensing Chris Pratt might be heading down the 'Sam Worthington path'. Meaning for a while he's the next big thing and you see him in every big movie for a summer or two, but then it dies down.

I don't know- just a feeling.
    I might be totally wrong here, but I'm sensing Chris Pratt might be heading down the 'Sam Worthington path'. Meaning for a while he's the next big thing and you see him in every big movie for a summer or two, but then it dies down.

I don't know- just a feeling.
    Nah, Pratt can act to a certain degree, unlike Worthington.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2018 Posts: 8,215
    Reboot with Chris Prat is in order. I don't care if no one can match Ford, lesser Indie is better than no Indie. No Indie is better than geriatric Indie.
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    bondsum wrote: »
    Whilst it's welcome news that Lawrence Kasdan was been brought back to rewrite the screenplay for Indy 5, one must remember that it was both Lucas and Philip Kaufman that came up with the original story, with Kaufman coming up with the Ark of the Covenant as the McGuffin. It was only when Harrison Ford joined the cast that he demanded that his dialogue be extensively rewritten which is where Kasdan came in. Otherwise, had Tom Selleck been Indiana Smith (as it was Spielberg that hated the surname and changed it to Jones) the script would've remained the Philip Kaufman version and been shot that way. It's also worth noting that Lucas wanted Kaufman to originally direct the movie, but Kaufman was working on The Outlaw Josey Wales. The idea was shelved as Lucas returned to his script for a movie called Star Wars instead.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't just bring back Philip Kaufman to come up with the original story and write the first draft. Kasdan gets a lot of praise for writing The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders, but on both occasions he was brought in to give screenplays written by others a good polish and act as a script doctor. I might be doing Kasdan an injustice but I think this is where his strengths lie, which might be good news for Indy 5 depending on the strength of the original story. Either way, I don't think Philip Kaufman gets enough love for his great scripts and brilliant dialogue. The Outlaw Josey Wales is testament to that.
    It's Jonathan Kasdan who's been hired, actually. Lawrence's son.
    I can understand the "Harrison Ford is the only Indy" mentality, but I have a feeling that many people said the same thing about Sean Connery as Bond. Regardless of what any of us want, however, there will be an Indy reboot in the future. It's too much of a moneymaker for Disney not to do something with. I think we'll probably have #5 with Ford and then a reboot after a few more years with someone else.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I can understand the "Harrison Ford is the only Indy" mentality, but I have a feeling that many people said the same thing about Sean Connery as Bond. Regardless of what any of us want, however, there will be an Indy reboot in the future. It's too much of a moneymaker for Disney not to do something with. I think we'll probably have #5 with Ford and then a reboot after a few more years with someone else.

Except back then Connery played an adaptation of Fleming's Bond and only did this for 5 years, whereas Ford has always been Indiana Jones since 1981. The character was first known to public with him in mind.

Now, you're point is still somewhat valid. Disney will surely make new films because of money and as @Mendes4Lyfe said lesser Indy is still better than no Indy. Meaning I will eventually watch the movies (unless of course they hire someone completely wrong for the role such as Justin Bieber, or they make the character a woman) and will most likely enjoy them, but I wanted to clarify why it partly bothers me that another actor will play Indy, even though I will eventually accept it.

In my headcanon Raiders is the only existing movie, anyway.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    @Thunderfinger That would still be a younger Indy!!!
    @Thunderfinger That would still be a younger Indy!!!

Good point.

Indiana Trump surrounded by Mohammedan thugs. "I have a bad feeling about this."
    Walecs wrote: »

Except back then Connery played an adaptation of Fleming's Bond and only did this for 5 years, whereas Ford has always been Indiana Jones since 1981. The character was first known to public with him in mind.

Now, you're point is still somewhat valid. Disney will surely make new films because of money and as @Mendes4Lyfe said lesser Indy is still better than no Indy. Meaning I will eventually watch the movies (unless of course they hire someone completely wrong for the role such as Justin Bieber, or they make the character a woman) and will most likely enjoy them, but I wanted to clarify why it partly bothers me that another actor will play Indy, even though I will eventually accept it.

In my headcanon Raiders is the only existing movie, anyway.

You make some very good points, especially about Connery playing a character who was already established in people's minds, rather than Ford springing, fully ford, into the popular imagination.

Alas, even Ford won't live forever, so when a new actor is inevitably recast, we'll probably all go through something similar to the five stages of grief :) Hopefully it will end with acceptance.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I'm afraid the real problem won't be the issue of a successor for Ford, but that of a successor for Spielberg. Indy 1-3 have Spielberg in his prime, and that's top shelf.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It's Jonathan Kasdan who's been hired, actually. Lawrence's son.
    Ah, thanks for the correction @mattjoes. My enthusiasm has dropped several pegs than it had been before. This C-list actor-turned-writer has yet to prove himself in the big arena IMHO.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    They should just scrap Indiana Jones if they're not going to recast/reboot the character. Spielberg should direct or produce a series of Unchartered films based on the excellent game series.
    I just wonder if you recasting the role won’t create backlash look I am all for it and feel Pratt and possibly Renner could make for an interesting Indianna Jones but after Solo I fear ford’s roles may be iconic for a reason
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal too.
    An 80 year old Indy cannot credibly continue the adventures we're used too.
    Ford IS Indiana Jones, it can be recast, but will it be accepted? Unlikely.
    I think it's time to put Indy to bed, I'm sad to say. Riding off into the sunset at the end of TLC was a great send off for this character. KOTCS was a misfire for me, and I fear the next film will be nothing but another disappointment for an iconic Ford character.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Benny wrote: »
    I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal too.
    An 80 year old Indy cannot credibly continue the adventures we're used too.
    Ford IS Indiana Jones, it can be recast, but will it be accepted? Unlikely.

The question is, accepted by who? People who grew up with Harrison as Indie will never see anyone in the role as comparable, but youngsters seeing a Indiana Jones film at the cinema for the first time absolutely would, because they don't hold that attachment to the way things were.