CLOSED

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It seems the guy had been pissed at the paper for quite some time, since they reported on something he did. He had sued them (and probably lost) and kept harassing them.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Just a douche with a grudge. Kind of.. reassuring. Not for the victims and family of course, mind.
    What is not reassuring is that we have a reached a point were sporting on hun violence in the US is redundant. - "Is this really news worthy?" was my first reaction...
    One of the victims was novelist Carl Hiaasen's brother.
    Thoughts and prayers with all those affected by another senseless attack.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thoughts and prayers is all anyone can offer anymore, it seems. Maybe one day, someday, we'll actually do something to stop these mass shootings from being a daily/weekly occurrence, but I sadly doubt that.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Thoughts and prayers is all anyone can offer anymore, it seems. Maybe one day, someday, we'll actually do something to stop these mass shootings from being a daily/weekly occurrence, but I sadly doubt that.

It is the one thing I can never work out about American politics? Yes maybe who ever had the common sense to sort out the gun laws in the US would most likely lose the next election! However? Both sides should then say it would not be reversed to avoid using it as a political football in future to win funding or votes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thoughts with all people directly or indirectly victimised.

Maybe one day America too will be ready to embrace the 21st century and reconsider its age-old gun laws. Wackjobs have far too easy a time now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Maybe one day America too will be ready to embrace the 21st century and reconsider its age-old gun laws. Wackjobs have far too easy a time now.

Most of the die-hard ammosexuals here would quite literally rather be killed than give up their precious self-worth objects.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Most of the die-hard ammosexuals here would quite literally rather be killed than give up their precious self-worth objects.
    Well, I wish them luck.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @chrisisall
    Many seem to think that to abolish guns is to invite attacks left and right. My country abolished guns a long time ago and while terror strikes here too, many more people die in traffic or of health issues related to alcohol abuse, smoking and/or bad food habits than they do of being harassed or shot.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

What legislation do you recommend to prevent these occurrences?
    We need to arm the lamestream media!
    I wave the white flag and just wont travel to the USA,even if asked on business..
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,698

NO open carry. NO bump stocks. NO concealed carry for off duty officials or civvies (without special permit) . NO military styled weapons for civvie ownership. Background checks on EVERYONE purchasing weapons or ammo. De-militarize local police forces. National database for violent nuts. NO same day purchase for firearms at all. Limits on ammo amount purchased per month, gun purchase per year. Life imprisonment for weapon-enabling known mental health-challenged individuals, and severe penalties for having your damn gun get stolen from you & used in the commission of a crime (dope, lock it up or hide it).
    That just off the top of my sleepy head.

NO open carry. NO bump stocks. NO concealed carry for off duty officials or civvies (without special permit) . NO military styled weapons for civvie ownership. Background checks on EVERYONE purchasing weapons or ammo. De-militarize local police forces. National database for violent nuts. NO same day purchase for firearms at all. Limits on ammo amount purchased per month, gun purchase per year. Life imprisonment for weapon-enabling known mental health-challenged individuals, and severe penalties for having your damn gun get stolen from you & used in the commission of a crime (dope, lock it up or hide it).

And these prevent mass shootings how?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,698

By a bit. And that's better than nothing. What is YOUR proposal? A gun ban? A house by house grab of them? Good luck with THAT. An ammo production cessation? Spark an immediate civil war.
    A nuclear war would stop mass shootings.

By a bit. And that's better than nothing.

It doesn’t seem like you’ve given this much thought, just an emotional reaction.

It doesn’t seem like you’ve given this much thought, just an emotional reaction.

And it seems like you don't want to counter my response with a thoughtful response. So there we are.

And it seems like you don't want to counter my response with a thoughtful response. So there we are.

You never asked for my thoughts, nor am I trying to debate you. I was just curious how you would address mass shootings. Mostly though, I’m just remarking on the fact while this is an emotional subject, it deserves careful dispassionate consideration. I don’t perceive any rhyme or reason to your suggestions. I think a constitutional right deserves more scrutiny than that. All legislation does, for that matter. If you really would like my opinion though, I’d be willing to share.

You never asked for my thoughts, nor am I trying to debate you. I was just curious how you would address mass shootings. Mostly though, I’m just remarking on the fact while this is an emotional subject, it deserves careful dispassionate consideration. I don’t perceive any rhyme or reason to your suggestions. I think a constitutional right deserves more scrutiny than that. All legislation does, for that matter. If you really would like my opinion though, I’d be willing to share.

I ask for your thoughts now. And how you see no rhyme or reason to my suggestions. Seriously.
    All of your suggestions are totally reasonable @chrisisall , and would certainly help curb the culture of gun violence in America, by how much I don't know but it would help.
    jobo wrote: »

It's almost as if a lot of us saw this coming a mile away...

That summit was nothing more than a glorified photo op and a handshake.

Not for North Korea. They got just what they wanted...
    edited June 2018 Posts: 40,629

Not for North Korea. They got just what they wanted...

But of course. Concessions in exchange for nothing. Trump even noted that "other promises" were made that they didn't sign on because time was limited.

An historic meeting between the two and "lack of time" is the excuse. Laughable.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, North Korea enhancing their nuclear capabilities was already mentioned.
    It is a surprise to no one, I think (except perhaps Trump's most core base). And that is all right in line with keeping NK happy, Putin happy, China happy, and Trump supporters rallying ... because it is clear now that it does not matter what Trump says or does OR the consequences. His core supporters won't see any wrong, even if this sorry path continues and our country is destroyed.

Fortunately, his core base is still a real minority. I don't mean all who voted for him (for whatever reasons); I mean the blind core that is still cheering his every move. Trump will continue as long as legally allowed to do so. The upcoming meeting with Putin, and the senators going along also, all takes on the mantle of a supreme farce. Unfortunately, with negative consequences almost a guarantee.

Meanwhile, I sip my tea and am thankful to be living overseas. Not because I don't care; just the opposite. My country going through this is beyond my capability to describe, really. It is the most dangerous time for our democracy, our very foundation. But if I were living in the U.S. now I would not be able to get away from politics, to give myself a break from it. It is everywhere, I'm sure. Here, I don't watch tv anyway, and on the internet I can choose what I read. (I don't discuss where I live on social media, by the way - I don't want my personal info online; it is not relevant and I value my privacy.)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have seen Trump being blasted for being an isolationist, but when he is talking to the enemies, that gets blasted as well.
    I applaud the fact that the summit actually managed to be organized and pulled off, but past that, there's really nothing to pat his back over. We got absolutely nothing out of it, just a photo op of the two to make him look like he actually accomplished something.
    I'm off on an indefinate hiatus chaps so if the title needs updating then remind a mod to do it...cheers all.
This discussion has been closed.