"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, that's it. I believe that's based on the remasters and was released in the UK in 2011. The US version was released in 2012. There is an older set but the quality is not as good.

Prior to buying that Box set I had several individual seasons which I sold when I bought the boxset, I think many of the earlier episode look very cinematic.

Yes it's quite clear that Ransom for a dead man (actually one of my favourites for a superb villain) has higher production values than the main series. Shame but understandable they couldn't maintain that budget.
    The_Donald wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

yeah so far from abc series I have only found columbo cries wolf and agenda for murder up to par with the earlier series. A couple have been atrocious (Grand deceptions is awful - no explanation why a shop would send soldiers in a book box and vice versa). There were quite a few duds from the early seasons as well e.g. double shock, greenhouse jungle, crucial game, mind over mayhem, but also a lot of very good ones

Columbo cries wolf is the last great episode of the series and one of the very few good ones after the restart in the 80s.
    Yes, that's it. I believe that's based on the remasters and was released in the UK in 2011. The US version was released in 2012. There is an older set but the quality is not as good.

Prior to buying that Box set I had several individual seasons which I sold when I bought the boxset, I think many of the earlier episode look very cinematic.

Yes it's quite clear that Ransom for a dead man (actually one of my favourites for a superb villain) has higher production values than the main series. Shame but understandable they couldn't maintain that budget.

It also features an excellent soundtrack. It's also one of the episodes where we get some short glimpses at his tough side underneath the trenchcoat, which I always enjoy a lot.

It also features an excellent soundtrack. It's also one of the episodes where we get some short glimpses at his tough side underneath the trenchcoat, which I always enjoy a lot.

Yes indeed. I like when he suddenly turns to being tough. Also the part where the villainess 'uncovers' Columbo's act. I know that happens a few times in the series but I think it's best done here.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Think I'll take a few episodes to work tonight to kick start Columbothon.

Alot of the earlier episodes do look like movies, there has been some great talent involved with the series.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

yeah so far from abc series I have only found columbo cries wolf and agenda for murder up to par with the earlier series. A couple have been atrocious (Grand deceptions is awful - no explanation why a shop would send soldiers in a book box and vice versa). There were quite a few duds from the early seasons as well e.g. double shock, greenhouse jungle, crucial game, mind over mayhem, but also a lot of very good ones

Wait till you watch MURDER WITH TOO MANY NOTES

I rather liked Greenhouse Jungle think Ray Milland is good value.
    I agree. I quite liked it too. The score is particularly good in that one.
    --

I want to point out that there are two issues of the Columbo series available. The newer one released in 2011/2012 (a boxset) is based on the remasters and is much clearer than the old single set releases imho. In fact, I'd say it's so good that it's not necessary to purchase the blu rays, given the age of the series.

Yeah the newer box set is what I've got. I thought they were the unedited episodes, but I've noticed a scene deleted from 'agenda for murder'. The victim's wife never appears but is credited on imdb.

Now that you mention it, I must say I love Agenda for Murder. Patrick McGoohan is like the Terminator or something; the guy is always in control. Columbo's usual tactics don't work on him.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,115
    Steven Bochco discusses how he got involved with Columbo.

• Peter Falk picking up an Emmy for Columbo.

• edited August 2017 Posts: 2,115
    William Link discusses Columbo.

• William Link about Steven Spielberg.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just browsing through this thread makes me want to collect some Columbo DVDs.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Just browsing through this thread makes me want to collect some Columbo DVDs.

I have the Cigar dvd Boxset with every episode, its very cheap to buy these days recently saw it in a UK supermarket for £20
    Yes, cigar box is great value :-)
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,241
    I have the cigar box DVD set, as well! Have yet to go through the 80's and onwards episodes, but planning on doing so during the summer.

Regarding the cigar box: I have seen two different versions of it - the first image shows a cigar box DVD set identical to the one I have - the second one is a different box. Is there any differences in the content?
    s-l300.jpg
    71krdRJ%2B0VL._SL1333_.jpg
  • More about Columbo from director Robert Butler. Butler also co-created Remington Steele and directed the pilots for Batman, Hogan's Heroes and Hill Street Blues.

• More background. Richard Irving was a champion for Columbo at Universal. He direcred both Columbo pilots (producing the first, having the title of executive producer on the second). He also recruited Steven Bochco to work on Columbo when it went to series.

http://bit.ly/2JOXVGX
    I have the cigar box DVD set, as well! Have yet to go through the 80's and onwards episodes, but planning on doing so during the summer.

Regarding the cigar box: I have seen two different versions of it - the first image shows a cigar box DVD set identical to the one I have - the second one is a different box. Is there any differences in the content?
    s-l300.jpg

They appear to have the same content the second Boxset just looks more compact packaging, I have the first one also.

s-l300.jpg

They appear to have the same content the second Boxset just looks more compact packaging, I have the first one also.

Good. When I saw that second one only days after ordering my boxset, I was a bit afraid that the second one might have more content. I couldn't find any more information about any differences, so at the mention of the cigar box set here, I had to ask. Thanks!

s-l300.jpg

Good. When I saw that second one only days after ordering my boxset, I was a bit afraid that the second one might have more content. I couldn't find any more information about any differences, so at the mention of the cigar box set here, I had to ask. Thanks!

The DVD cases inside the boxes are identical just a different box, I have started watching from the start again one of the best series ever.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

s-l300.jpg

The DVD cases inside the boxes are identical just a different box, I have started watching from the start again one of the best series ever.
    Agreed. It was the 90's episodes that got me into it for the first time, and then I discovered all the wonderful 70's entries (when they finally released them all on dvd) which are even better. Great characterizations, actors, music etc. etc.

It's been a few years since I've watched them all.

s-l300.jpg

Wonder why they felt the need to make two different boxes? Looking at them both, I probably prefer the look of the one I didn't get, haha!

Watched the 70's episodes not long ago, and I'm planning on rewatching them again soon. Need to get through the 80's-00's stuff first (which I have never seen before).
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,115
    re: 70s episodes vs. the 1989-2003 episodes.

It's interesting that when the series was relaunched, Universal opted to go with as much continuity as possible.

The first few were produced by Richard Alan Simmons, who had been producer of the final batch of 1970s episodes. Simmons also had a relationship with Peter Falk, going back to the 1960s television series The Trials of O'Brien. William Link, Columbo's co-creator, had the title of "supervising executive producer." That title not only applied to Columbo, but the other new shows that were part of The ABC Mystery Movie.

Also, the director of Columbo Goes to the Guilloutine (first 1989 episode) was Leo Penn. He also directed The Conspirators, the final 1970s installment. And yes, if you didn't know, he was the father of Sean Penn.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's interesting @AlexanderWaverly. I wasn't aware of that. The Conspirators is one of my faves from the original batch and I'm quite partial to Columbo Goes to the Guilloutine as well. Anthony Andrews hams it up big time in that one. They're all great, but I do prefer the best of the 70's episodes personally (I really like the two pilots as well).
    re: 70s episodes vs. the 1989-2003 episodes.

It's interesting that when the series was relaunched, Universal opted to go with as much continuity as possible.

The first few were produced by Richard Alan Simmons, who had been producer of the final batch of 1970s episodes. Simmons also had a relationship with Peter Falk, going back to the 1960s television series The Trials of O'Brien. William Link, Columbo's co-creator, had the title of "supervising executive producer." That title not only applied to Columbo, but the other new shows that were part of The ABC Mystery Movie.

Also, the director of Columbo Goes to the Guilloutine (first 1989 episode) was Leo Penn. He also directed The Conspirators, the final 1970s installment. And yes, if you didn't know, he was the father of Sean Penn.

Now that's trivia! Thanks for sharing!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,115
    Re: back to the first season. Susanne Pleshette and Eddie Albert had a bad experience. The director whose name she couldn't remember is Jack Smight. The Tony Franciosa reference goes back to The Name of the Game, a weekly 90-minute series with Franciosa, Robert Stack and Gene Barry as the rotating leads.

• This was the episode described by Pleschette.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066931/?ref_=ttep_ep4
  • Meanwhile, Steven Bochco describes what happened behind the scenes of the first NBC season. *Three* Columbo scripts were nominated for Emmys.

• Bochco refers to Peter Falk's acceptance speech at the Emmys. Here it is. He also references, Richard Levinson, William Link and Richard Irving.