Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    How to improve The Last Jedi:

https://m.imgur.com/2a0SZpj
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I’ll probably write a more in-depth review at some point but I just came out of SOLO and I thought I’d was awful

I boycotted the film

Ditto. All Disney Star Wars films will be ignored by me.

Yeah, I’m not digging these Disney Star Wars films very much. I really enjoyed Rogue One but the new trilogy so far has been pretty poor.

Jeremy Jahns has a pretty decent video about the current state of Star Wars:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883

Brilliant. If only this was true.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Taking mini Benny to see Solo later on today. I'm looking forward to see how it turned out. I'm seeing a lot of positive feedback from members in this thread. And obviously quite a lot of negative comments too.
    I'll find out shortly I guess where it stands...hopefully higher than TLJ.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »

Brilliant. If only this was true.

Agreed on both. :))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So I saw Solo: A Star Wars story yesterday, and I have to say. I really enjoyed it.
    I thought Alden Ehrenreich did fine in the lead role. It's kind of like Lazenby taking over from Connery. You're never going to win everyone over, so why bother. I felt he made the role as similar as he could to Ford without trying to be Ford.
    Donald Glover was a decent Lando, displaying enough charisma and roguish nature to play the part.
    One of the elements that I did enjoy was
    the absence of the force or lightsabers. Or the cameo appearance of R2D2 or C3PO. So glad they didn't pop up.
    It still felt like a Star Wars movie, but was different enough. Visually impressive, but centering on the character of Han Solo. I liked how it looked dirtier than the prequels, showing how the empire ruled the galaxy. Han being a scoundrel, swindler and a little background to what fueled that character trait to a degree. I wasn't expecting a DeNiro and Scorsese film. But I did enjoy what I saw.
    I retained a heart in the Star Wars universe. Wasn't too keen on the droid L3, but that's a minor quibble. The droids motives and sub plot seemed forced too me. Out of context in a Star Wars film.
    It's not a perfect film, and not in the same league as ANH or TESB. But it's better than TPM or TLJ for me. Certainly better than I was expecting, which for my money is not bad. Couple of nice nods to the other SW films, without being in your face.Worth a watch for sure.
    "I know."
    Benny wrote: »
    I retained a heart in the Star Wars universe. Wasn't too keen on the droid L3, but that's a minor quibble. The droids motives and sub plot seemed forced too me. Out of context in a Star Wars film.
    Interesting, I found L3´s behaviour refreshing. I was very glad to get yet a different droid after the droid from R1, and I didn´t find anything about L3 out of place. But maybe R2D2 and C3PO´s recurring appearances feel so forced to me that I enjoy everything distracting me from them.

• edited June 2018 Posts: 4,813
    https://screenrant.com/anthony-ingruber-han-solo-audition/

rhOXrY2.png

SO, Anthony Ingruber DID audition for Solo! Special attention was even given to him because of how popular he was among fans!

Here's how I'd imagine the audition going:
    He does the scenes from A New Hope just like Ford without skipping a beat. Then he’s asked to read lines from the Solo script without having the chance to see Harrison Ford do it first.... suddenly not as impressive!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Kra7tlv5kbIKF4TAx8NW6CodSs2nf4JNSLzHwE-HvdrgeQqQMQ

That's why they got an actor who plays the character, not just an impression of another actor!
    Alden rocked and surprised a lot of people!

I wish Anthony luck in the acting world, but don't try to just be Harrison Ford 2.0
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I understand why so many wanted Ingruber for the role but all he is, is an impressionist of Ford. That would've been annoying to watch throughout the movie. I'm glad they got Ehrenreich. He did the character justice without making you think of Ford. Even if they don't make a sequel to Solo, I really hope Ehrenreich comes back as Han.
    If they make the sequel SOLO/FETT, you've got a winner! In fact, I'd love a movie all about Han being hunted by bounty hunters. Make it 'The Fugitive' in space!
    Just speaking for myself, my current disinterest in forking out money for a theatre viewing of this Solo effort is not on account of any SW fatigue per se, but rather because none of the actors in the film are appealing or compelling enough for me.

If there was someone there who caught my eye it might have been enough, but sadly this is not the case. Additionally, I have a rather poor opinion of Rogue One (felt it was a bit soulless and bland) and so am just going to wait for this on home video.

Home video? do people still say that? you'll be waiting a long time for VHS to show up at the local blockbuster
    Getafix wrote: »
    Just speaking for myself, my current disinterest in forking out money for a theatre viewing of this Solo effort is not on account of any SW fatigue per se, but rather because none of the actors in the film are appealing or compelling enough for me.

If there was someone there who caught my eye it might have been enough, but sadly this is not the case. Additionally, I have a rather poor opinion of Rogue One (felt it was a bit soulless and bland) and so am just going to wait for this on home video.

Home video? do people still say that? you'll be waiting a long time for VHS to show up at the local blockbuster
    Sorry, I intended it as a catch all phrase for all types of home digital media. What's the correct term then?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I don't have one. just amused to see such retro tech terminology still in circulation.

online/available for download/streaming?
    Getafix wrote: »
    I don't have one. just amused to see such retro tech terminology still in circulation.

online/available for download/streaming?
    Yes, I thought of that when making my earlier comment, but that wouldn't incorporate physical media like blu ray/dvd/4K disc, which is why I opted for what I used. I suppose there really is no term then?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    That term is still in use.
    interesting. hadn't heard it in a long time
    Home media?

I´ve had times myself struggling to find a fitting expression. I used to say, "I´ll watch it on DVD", but then I bought my first blu-rays. So I could say, "I´ll watch it on disc", but then I found myself streaming films too. But streaming won´t keep me from getting discs, so perhaps I´ll just say, "I´ll watch it on home media." But that sounds kind of abstract. First world problems.....
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    "I'll wait for the home release."

Covers all bases for me.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Talking of STAR WARS... CATCHING BULLETS gets a part sequel/prequel this week...

A book that is 3 million light years from home.
    A book that marks the return of the great adventure.
    A book that thought it was safe to go back in the water.
    A book that knows what scares you.
    A book that will believe a man can fly.

Please rewind all memories before returning....

WATCHING SKIES - STAR WARS, SPIELBERG AND US
    by Mark O'Connell / The History Press

https://www.facebook.com/watchingskiesbook/posts/2109457102403571
    I understand why so many wanted Ingruber for the role but all he is, is an impressionist of Ford. That would've been annoying to watch throughout the movie. I'm glad they got Ehrenreich. He did the character justice without making you think of Ford. Even if they don't make a sequel to Solo, I really hope Ehrenreich comes back as Han.
    You raise a good point. Having Anthony Ingruber doing a Harrison Ford impersonation throughout the entire movie might prove too much, even for the fans. I like Ehrenreich as an actor but taking on such an iconic role beloved by millions might just be overstepping his reach. I'm curious to see how much "special attention" was actually given to Ingruber, and part of me wouldn't mind seeing how he acted in these Solo screentests. Of course, we have his appearance in The Age of Adaline (2015) to go by, so for those that haven't seen it, I'll post it below...

He actually did put out an audition tape of his own a while back. It's him doing lines from Han's first scene in A New Hope. Again, it just seems like he's trying to be Harrison Ford playing Han. It doesn't work for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He actually did put out an audition tape of his own a while back. It's him doing lines from Han's first scene in A New Hope. Again, it just seems like he's trying to be Harrison Ford playing Han. It doesn't work for me.

Pretty great impression if you ask me...
    Here's the thing about acting vs impressions. When I was in Middle School I did Grease and was cast as Kenickie. This was the first time I ever did anything on stage and a had a lot of misconceptions to say the least. 'No problem' I thought, I'll just watch the movie and do it like him.
    Well lo and behold, we weren't doing the 'movie' we were doing the play. And the first time a line came up that wasn't literally in the movie, I found myself just being 'me'.

My point is: in the above video, he's doing Harrison Ford in A New Hope, beat for beat, just like he did it. In Solo, he doesn't have the benefit of watching Harrison do it first!

Even in the Adeline movie, while still impressive, it's still very obvious he's pulling every 'Ford mannerism' from the books!
    chrisisall wrote: »

Oh I agree, it is! But that's the problem, it's an impression. I don't want to watch someone who isn't Harrison Ford be Harrison Ford playing Han in a Han Solo movie. It would be like every Bond actor trying to be Sean Connery in each of their films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

Oh I agree, it is! But that's the problem, it's an impression. I don't want to watch someone who isn't Harrison Ford be Harrison Ford playing Han in a Han Solo movie. It would be like every Bond actor trying to be Sean Connery in each of their films.

Yeah.... still, he has the look. If you could just coach him out of the need to imitate, he'd be a good Solo.
    Yes, I'm inclined to agree with the point @chrisisall is making. Had Anthony Ingruber dialled back his Harrison Ford impression and acted as himself (au naturale) then his looks alone should've been enough to carry him through. But without seeing Ingruber act as himself, it's difficult to make a judgement.
    just seen solo at the cinema. bored for most of it i am afraid but I am not a Star Wars fan.

it's not bad but doesn't ever really spark. the lead is serviceable but nowhere near as charismatic as young Harrison (who could be?) and the rest of the cast is quality but strangely underwhelming. even woody Harrelson slightly disappoints. the love interest looks like she's drifted in from Mad Men or some other antiseptic box set.

I found my self watching Chewie and thinking why have I paid good money to watch a grown man dressed as a Muppet.

never a fan of Paul Bettanie. something insipid about him.

although sort of annoying I think Phoebe Waller-Bridge's android might just be the scene stealer.

I read good reviews of thandie Newton's character but wasn't that impressed.

Donald Glover is okay I suppose. Erin kellyman as the girl pirate/rebel does stand out - perhaps a shame we don't see more of her on screen.

all in all a bit of yawn fest, but then I've said the same about the original trilogy
    "I'll wait for the home release."

Covers all bases for me.
    Home release - isn´t that something you do in the bathroom :-))?

• edited June 2018 Posts: 386
    Solo was a real mixed bag. First third is great. Train heist is superb. Second third, centred around an awful mining colony heist, is terrible. Final act is barely passable.

The movie basically looks like it was re-shot to buggery. You can almost see the stitch lines. Shame.
    the action sequences go on way too long (seems the norm these days). I actually zoned out of the train heist. too much cgi. no one seemed in genuine peril and the score was strangely limp IMO. none of the dramatic scenes really stands out. all a bit beige. the character who dies has only been in the film 2 mins so you don't care that they've gone anyway.