The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

On this day 44 years ago ABBA won Eurovision, which was my first Eurovision memory. I remember an older cousin babysitting, was very excited about it.

The best thing to come out of the competition, no matter what you might feel about their music.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They look a bit like Andrea Anders and Mary Goodnight.

Haha, you're right!
    The best thing to come out of the competition is still this, though.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    On this day 44 years ago ABBA won Eurovision, which was my first Eurovision memory. I remember an older cousin babysitting, was very excited about it.

The best thing to come out of the competition, no matter what you might feel about their music.
    You'd have to pay me to watch an ESC again, and it has been this way for at least thirty years.

But while I was critical of ABBA then, and still wouldn't sit down and listen to all of their albums in a row (which I'm afraid I have in my collection), I think and greatly appreciate that they have found a way to make great, pleasing, almost universally acceptable music which keeps living on over the decades close to perfection, both aesthetically and - of course - commercially. If I'd have to choose, I'd rather dump all the Punk and Garage bands into the dustbin and keep the ABBA albums. Great stuff and the best thing ever coming from the ESC. Ever.

And @Thunderfinger...well...my love for Vicky Leandros is limited, but she's been sort of an adopted German for forty years or so and lives in or around Hamburg, so I won't say a bad word about her.
    The best thing to come out of the competition is still this, though.

Hahah! Really don't know what to say about this one, other than it must surely fall in the "quirky" category of ESC.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

You'd have to pay me to watch an ESC again, and it has been this way for at least thirty years.

But while I was critical of ABBA then, and still wouldn't sit down and listen to all of their albums in a row (which I'm afraid I have in my collection), I think and greatly appreciate that they have found a way to make great, pleasing, almost universally acceptable music which keeps living on over the decades close to perfection, both aesthetically and - of course - commercially. If I'd have to choose, I'd rather dump all the Punk and Garage bands into the dustbin and keep the ABBA albums. Great stuff and the best thing ever coming from the ESC. Ever.

And @Thunderfinger...well...my love for Vicky Leandros is limited, but she's been sort of an adopted German for forty years or so and lives in or around Hamburg, so I won't say a bad word about her.

Growing up with punk (and some garage), throwing that away to keep ABBA would have been impossible, but I can enjoy a bit of ABBA, if not only as a "guilty pleasure". Some nice tunes, that's for sure, which is more than I can say of most ESC songs.
    Stupid Israel seems to be the favourite. How did that happen?
  • GBFGBF
    Shouldn't somebody rename the thread?
    Still one of the best winners
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Haha, you're right!
    I can think of worse people to look like ;)
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Can u believe the British gal had someone get past Portuguese security,shove her ,take the microphone and shout that Britain does not belong in Europe x she carried on brilliantly but nervously x what if that prick had a knife ? Killed on live TV FFS !!!!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Can u believe the British gal had someone get past Portuguese security,shove her ,take the microphone and shout that Britain does not belong in Europe x she carried on brilliantly but nervously x what if that prick had a knife ? Killed on live TV FFS !!!!

Strange incident. Didn't even think of it until there was only a backup track being played. Would have though there was better security around the stage.

____
    On another note: the quality of the songs this year is really low! :-O
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I’ve never watched it before, the soon to be wife made me but that incident is a big worry x that fat prick could have had a knife x n apparently 200m viewers saw that x bad news for Portugal especially as it was the British act !
    I’ve never watched it before, the soon to be wife made me but that incident is a big worry x that fat prick could have had a knife x n apparently 200m viewers saw that x bad news for Portugal especially as it was the British act !

The British girl will get the opportunity to perform the song again, I think. They said something about it.

The British girl will get the opportunity to perform the song again, I think. They said something about it.

She won’t sing again Torg.

She won’t sing again Torg.

Yeah, just heard. They said she had been offered, but declined. On to the voting break entertainment, then.*

*toilet break.

______
    Didn't really like any of the songs this year. None of them will find the way to a playlist, unfortunately.
    I'm going to make my prediction now: This SuRie singer won't even get the sympathy vote. The real joke is, you don't need to be part of Europe politically or geographically to even take part in this bloody joke of a song contest, so quite why that fat tosser felt the need to disrupt her song—a song that'll come last anyway—you have to be a special kind of tosser to try and ruin her chances of finishing second from last.
    The Eurovision song contest is the Worldcup of Camp, the voting is extremely political and everybody knows it and yet it is shedload of fun watching it with groups of people and drinking a lot. Really over the top entertainment as it should be, you don't like it big deal. Most people in teh world think that American football is overrated and that gets televised as well.

So each to his/her own. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,104
    Just put this on at work, to see how ludicrous the voting system is these days.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Since when was Australia in Europe, I have no idea what going on with the votes now.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,104
    Double post
    Quelle surprise... I was pretty much spot on. We came 24th out of 26 nations.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Quelle surprise... I was pretty much spot on. We came 24th out of 26 nations.

Impressive prediction!
    So have the UK been relegated being stuck in the bottom three? Lol
    So that is all it takes? Making some weird tongue noices?
    jobo wrote: »

I couldn't find a tune between those noises. But that's Eurovision for you. Any song is a winner candidate.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 7,500

I couldn't find a tune between those noises. But that's Eurovision for you. Any song is a winner candidate.

I didn't watch the show. I just found it on youtube when the winner was announced. That the overall quality was poor is no surprise to me, but I am still quite shocked that thing won...

I didn't watch the show. I just found it on youtube when the winner was announced. That the overall quality was poor is no surprise to me, but I am still quite shocked that thing won...

Story of this year's Eurovision. No songs I'll ever need to hear again (like every year, mostly), but that one was just…Weird.
    Still the best thing to come out of Eurovision

Since when was Australia in Europe, I have no idea what going on with the votes now.

Neither is Israel, Armenia or Azerbaijan. Or Morocco who participated in the 70s.

Only half decent songs this year came from France and Italy, some of the very worst got a lot of votes as usual.