Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don’t remember Bond wearing a waistcoat underneath the tuxedo coat?
    Fassbender as Bond and Orson Welles as Le Chiffre by the looks of things.
  • Not going to preorder it -will just wait until after it's released. Won't have to get annoyed by delays, then.

No, then you'll just have to be annoyed that it's sold out before you get to the store. And that LALD won't get published because the sales on the first edition of CR were so low.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    From what I recall, Bond doesn't even wear a tux in the novel, just a black suit with a black tie. But just a minor detail there. ;)
    TR007 wrote: »
    Fassbender as Bond and Orson Welles as Le Chiffre by the looks of things.
    Sounds good to me, though I prefer my Le Chiffres to look like Peter Lorre. That's who I always picture when I read the book.
    Not going to preorder it -will just wait until after it's released. Won't have to get annoyed by delays, then.

No, then you'll just have to be annoyed that it's sold out before you get to the store. And that LALD won't get published because the sales on the first edition of CR were so low.
    I honestly can't really blame people, though. Not only because of the constant delays, but for how Dynamite have largely been silent on why things are taking so long. People are sick of being screwed around with and left with no answers to their simple questions.

I'll probably be waiting to get this too, simply because there's other books already out that I want to buy. If CR fails or underperforms, maybe Dynamite will rethink their strategy and marketing style.
  • If CR fails or underperforms, maybe Dynamite will rethink their strategy and marketing style.

My honest concern is that Dynamite may entirely rethink continuing the Bond license. It's no secret that the floppies have been underperforming, which means that retailers are not likely to have ordered this GN in significant quantities. Diamond Distribution certainly isn't going to gamble on this book by ordering heavily in anticipation of strong reorders. Dynamite doesn't seem to be getting an awful lot of love from Bond fandom going by what I've been seeing here. If "rethinking their strategy" means a cessation of the Bond comics line entirely, I can't say I'll be too surprised. It'll be a shame...but I won't be surprised.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    If CR fails or underperforms, maybe Dynamite will rethink their strategy and marketing style.

My honest concern is that Dynamite may entirely rethink continuing the Bond license. It's no secret that the floppies have been underperforming, which means that retailers are not likely to have ordered this GN in significant quantities. Diamond Distribution certainly isn't going to gamble on this book by ordering heavily in anticipation of strong reorders. Dynamite doesn't seem to be getting an awful lot of love from Bond fandom going by what I've been seeing here. If "rethinking their strategy" means a cessation of the Bond comics line entirely, I can't say I'll be too surprised. It'll be a shame...but I won't be surprised.

What makes you think that?
    My Impression has been a different one, with most people here being very positive about the output from Dynamite. I see the same thing on Twitter, lots of positive comments.
    My only worry would be that there are still not enough readers as Bond comics were non existent for 20 years and people are only starting to catch up to this series. But that is almost to be expected. I think the fanbase is still growing.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Not going to preorder it -will just wait until after it's released. Won't have to get annoyed by delays, then.

There's no comic book stores even close to where I live (there's not that many in the entire country, actually), so I'll have to get it from Amazon. Won't be too worried about it being sold out.
    I honestly can't really blame people, though. Not only because of the constant delays, but for how Dynamite have largely been silent on why things are taking so long. People are sick of being screwed around with and left with no answers to their simple questions.

I'll probably be waiting to get this too, simply because there's other books already out that I want to buy. If CR fails or underperforms, maybe Dynamite will rethink their strategy and marketing style.

Exactly. Why preorder a product that's constantly being pushed back? Had I preordered a different title or product that was pushed back numerous of times, I would have canceled the order. No doubt about that.
  • I do have to admit that my concerns are based on a knowledge of how comics distribution used to work -- before Amazon came onto the scene. If Amazon is ordering zillions of copies then there'll be plenty for everybody and Dynamite will continue publishing more Fleming novel adaptations. But Dynamite has already urged the reading public to support this title NOW if we want to see more, and the response I see on this thread is largely, "eh, we'll believe it when we see it. Are we there yet?" Does Amazon charge you for your order before they ship it? If yes, well, there's lots of things I don't like about Amazon & that's just one of them. If no, then why not just say "Yes, I want this when it arrives," and sit back & be patient? Good work takes longer than sloppy work and I think most of us want this novel to be good. So far as I can tell, Dynamite's main sin here has been to be too optimistic about how long it will take to get the work done and polished to a bright shiny hue. Oh, and also to say, in effect, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It'll take a little longer than we thought, but just trust us, you'll like it when it's done." Frustrating for the anxiously waiting readers, sure, but ultimately understandable.

Most comic book GNs are actually collections of work that appeared in bits and pieces, accumulations of the floppies that were published over the course of several months. But that sort of approach affects the pacing of the collected end product. Dynamite is trying something different with these Fleming adaptations, something designed to give us a book that is more in tune with the Fleming original -- and the economics of this sort of package are very different from just gathering up a dozen different issues of an already-published monthly book. So far as I can tell, Bond fandom would rather gripe about the delays in getting this package to market, than give the comics retailing community any solid reason to believe we will buy it once it finally arrives...and THAT, my friends, is a very good way to ensure that Dynamite does not produce a comic book adaptation of Ian Fleming's Live And Let Die.
    If they need to urge people to preorder it for them to produce more titles, that's on them, isn't it? It's also a bad form of marketing.

It's also on them that they set a too early release date. That only puts pressure on the artist, which can also affect the final result. Now, we all want this book to be fantastic, but Dynamite sure haven't been handling this too well, have they?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Amazon charges you when the book ships.
    I have not pre ordered it though because i do have a very unique Problem as i am travelling a lot, and I rather buy it as a souvenier on one of my Trips, which obviously makes me check the Release date constantly, and has been driving me MAD the last 9 month thinking that the Release is just around the corner.
    I am flying to quatar right now and if the book had been released on 11th April as announced by dynamite on Twitter (!) i would have gotten it there and had something nice to read in the hotel.
    But as i said, thats a unique Problem and I don't expect much sympathy.

Obviously i want Dynamite to succeed and I will buy anything they release under the Bond license (even the, so far, awful The Body) because i want Bond to be a successful endeavour for all involved (and I got money to burn lol). I rather not even Talk about the comics i don't like because i don't want to influence anyone who actually might like it.

Dynamites success rate is pretty much on par with Eon so far. Nobody is perfect but its great entertainment so far.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 847
    Forget the 11 April, the paper verssion is now delayed to the 24th if we believe Amazon... That's magic, each time you think you gonna get it, nope, it's dissapear with all your hopes and all your good mood. 99% sure that they will delay the Kindle verssion too.

mD4V4Hj.jpg
  • At present, I'm still believing my local retailer who said April 11th. I also believe that the books may very well ship at a different time from Amazon than they do from Diamond, but that's not exactly Dynamite's fault, is it? It's also likely that shipping from the USA to the UK or France can be the source of the reported "delay," again not anything Diamond can be blamed for. I'll check with the shop tonight to see if their release date has changed, if so I'll report back here.
    About bloody time for this release I would say so.
    From what I recall, Bond doesn't even wear a tux in the novel, just a black suit with a black tie. But just a minor detail there. ;)
    He did, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7? I remember vividly - or at least that's how I illustrated my mind on it - that Bond wore a tuxedo. Maybe the black tie is the British slang for dinner jacket/tuxedo?

Then again, I could very well be wrong. It's been a while since I picked up on Royale. But, I know he doesn't wear a tuxedo in Moonraker at the Blades, which made him come off rather underdressed, in my opinion.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,564
    If they need to urge people to preorder it for them to produce more titles, that's on them, isn't it?

No, it's the way the American comic book specialty market works. Retailers have to preorder on a non-returnable basis. They, basically, have to GUESS what they're going to be able to sell of a given title before the book is ever printed. This leads to them generally under-ordering as they lose money when they guess too high. Therefore, anything you can do to make your retailer's guessing more accurate (like ordering in advance, just as he or she has to do) is a good thing. Before you reply that Dynamite should just print substantially more than their advance orders based solely on their faith in the product they've created, please consider this: they already have several thousand dollars invested in this book before page #1 is printed. Comic books are not a high-profit margin business. They've already invested time and $ in producing this book; if it doesn't show a reasonable profit they won't follow it up with a second volume. Is it really asking so much to just help the system along a little bit by giving your preferred source for comic books an indication that this is a product you'd like to support once it is finally available?

And BTW, my LCS has just confirmed: Diamond Distribution is telling comic book stores all over the USA that CR will indeed be in those stores on April 11, 2018. If Amazon isn't planning on releasing the book until a couple of weeks later, that's their look-out. If it's going to be on the shores of the UK or France or the country of your choice even later than that, well sorry, but that's the physical reality of international shipping and customs and so forth.
    And BTW, my LCS has just confirmed: Diamond Distribution is telling comic book stores all over the USA that CR will indeed be in those stores on April 11, 2018. If Amazon isn't planning on releasing the book until a couple of weeks later, that's their look-out. If it's going to be on the shores of the UK or France or the country of your choice even later than that, well sorry, but that's the physical reality of international shipping and customs and so forth.

Yep Dynamite confirm me too that the book will be in comics stores at the 11th.

Happy to hear that. Will check with a local comic store here.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 15,423
    So, finally it's coming out next week.

Besides, I always check the date from ComiXology as they are always accurate. Amazon's information is always tenuous for the most part, I've heard a lot of complaints regarding the site's management of things.
    If they need to urge people to preorder it for them to produce more titles, that's on them, isn't it?

No, it's the way the American comic book specialty market works. Retailers have to preorder on a non-returnable basis. They, basically, have to GUESS what they're going to be able to sell of a given title before the book is ever printed. This leads to them generally under-ordering as they lose money when they guess too high. Therefore, anything you can do to make your retailer's guessing more accurate (like ordering in advance, just as he or she has to do) is a good thing. Before you reply that Dynamite should just print substantially more than their advance orders based solely on their faith in the product they've created, please consider this: they already have several thousand dollars invested in this book before page #1 is printed. Comic books are not a high-profit margin business. They've already invested time and $ in producing this book; if it doesn't show a reasonable profit they won't follow it up with a second volume. Is it really asking so much to just help the system along a little bit by giving your preferred source for comic books an indication that this is a product you'd like to support once it is finally available?

Sure, you could preorder it (those who want to, and have a local comic book shop should!) - but it's still the first time I've heard a publisher actively having to urge people to preorder a release. That only seems strange to me.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I do truly hope this product ends up unequivocally successful. The art looks outstanding in every manner and it's quite obvious the story will compensate more from the visuals provided by Calero and the chap who did the colouring.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I definitely get your perspective, and appreciate it, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, but Dynamite do hold a hand in this as well. They just didn't manage this situation well at all, when all it would've taken is a statement from them that explained the situation. It also would've been helpful if they held off on constantly changing the release date week to week, as they knew they wouldn't make 99% of the dates they reset outside the final, decided one when the comic was actually done. Their silence was louder than anything in this whole matter.

I get your point about pre-orders, and the need retailers have to know if their risk to mass order copies is a smart one, but I get why people are hesitant to pre-order in certain markets too. Gaming is a big culprit of manipulative pre-orders these days, where you're asked to pony up money to order something you haven't actually had the chance to see if you want. The demand an audience has for CR will be apparent as it releases, and if that demand is high then retailers will meet it. But for those of us who can only get comics online since we literally have no comics shops in our county, the idea of pre-ordering at retail outlets is very foreign. Naturally that option will be far more available to those who live in major cities that do have such things as comics shops, but for those in rural areas like myself it's an impossibility. If CR proves to satisfy the fans here I will happily order it the very day it's out on Amazon and I will have contributed as if I had pre-ordered. But I will not blindly buy something just because it has James Bond written upon its cover.
    He did, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7? I remember vividly - or at least that's how I illustrated my mind on it - that Bond wore a tuxedo. Maybe the black tie is the British slang for dinner jacket/tuxedo?

Then again, I could very well be wrong. It's been a while since I picked up on Royale. But, I know he doesn't wear a tuxedo in Moonraker at the Blades, which made him come off rather underdressed, in my opinion.
    @ClarkDevlin, I think there's a part of CR where Fleming writes about Bond dressing up to play cards, but I can't find it at the moment. But something makes me remember Bond wearing an actual tie, and not specifically a bow tie. Bond doesn't wear the appropriate clothes in MR, but Fleming's Bond was not the vision of a strict and fashionable man, so that fits the character to me (it would also fit if he didn't wear a tux in CR). The original literary article was definitely a man of his own making, and had his own style that was unmoved by the expected trends of the day.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    CR

Ch. 8: "He looked carefully round the room to see if anything had been forgotten and slipped his single-breasted dinner-jacket coat over his heavy silk evening shirt."

Ch. 17: "Bond stood chafing his swollen wrists and debating with himself how much time he could waste by resisting. He only delayed an instant. With a swift step and a downward sweep of his free hand, the thin man seized the collar of his dinner-jacket and dragged it down, pinning Bond's arms back." "Bond let the two halves of his dinner-jacket fall off his arms on to the floor."

Le Chiffre and his men wore dinner-jackets too.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    ggl007 wrote: »

Bottom pane, left side. I can't be the only one getting Michael Fassbender vibes.

Bottom pane, left side. I can't be the only one getting Michael Fassbender vibes.
    @MajorDSmythe, you were saying? ;)

3ge6lwX.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

3ge6lwX.jpg

No doubt about it, can't be a coincidence.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 6,682
    And this is my new year's tribute to Dynamite's Bond series...

QEZqb0M.jpg

Terrific.

Edit: Turns out it was an old post I was replying to and I didn't quote it, so it appeared to be nonsensical.

3ge6lwX.jpg
    No doubt about it, can't be a coincidence.
    Calero definitely used some reference photos and decided to pick up on Fassbender's likeness for Bond. I have many images around that makes the case evident.
    QwNj5bt.png

I put together some of the panels that feature Bond. It's undeniable that Calero uses Fassbender's face for Bond with 200% confirmation. Check it out, @MajorDSmythe.
    That first one is definitely Fassbender.