Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    At least in SPECTRE they did not tag along with Bond and he was left doing his job alone.

In Crystal Skull the stage was overcrowded. Oxley was just a deus ex machina; whenever a problem showed up he always knew what to do instead of having Indy figuring a way out (the indios scene, for example, would have been way more engaging if they had been in real trouble and had to find a way out à la Dead Man's Chest; instead we had them use the skull and that was it).
    Indy's son was pretty much pointless and only made the film's reputation worse.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well actually , while Ethan Hunt is the focus, the team concept has always part of the MI dynamic, in all of its incarnations; in fact it’s been criticized for what some see as becoming too focused on Hunt.
    Indy 5 has to feature nazis in some form. Everyone hates them. Although the Russians are doing their best t monopolise the world's villainy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Indy 5 has to feature nazis in some form. Everyone hates them. Although the Russians are doing their best t monopolise the world's villainy.

Rubbish, he should fight mohammedans.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Well actually , while Ethan Hunt is the focus, the team concept has always part of the MI dynamic, in all of its incarnations; in fact it’s been criticized for what some see as becoming too focused on Hunt.
    I don´t think anyone speaks of the series becoming too focused on Hunt, since it is most obvious that in MI2 there was hardly any team aspect, MI3 had a definite team mostly in the background, and the last two films put the team very much in the foreground.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I don´t think anyone speaks of the series becoming too focused on Hunt, since it is most obvious that in MI2 there was hardly any team aspect, MI3 had a definite team mostly in the background, and the last two films put the team very much in the foreground.

Well there’s no way for me to reasonably go back and find the post, but several people have for right or wrong posted that once the Cruise era comes to a conclusion they would like the team aspect be brought to the forefront.
    I actually think they balance the two beautifully.

As far as Bond, I definitely want less active team involvement, with the focus bring put back on Bond.

I think no matter how much the team element is stressed in an MI film, Cruise is, as much as he is a brilliant actor and performer, also a huge show-off who pulls all the energy towards himself. No Bond actor was like that so far. That´s why it worked so nicely when Bond was alone on a mission. When Cruise is alone on a mission, he looks like a big ego trip, despite all his great qualities. Unless he is directed by Michael Mann or Robert Redford.
    I might be naïve here but someone has just mentioned that TOD is actually a prequel to ROTLA ..is this true,anyone ?
    It is.
    It is.

I never knew that...this is because of the Shanghai opening ?

I don’t know why it was made as a prequel; off the top of my head, Raiders is 38 or 39 and Doom 35
    I don’t know why it was made as a prequel; off the top of my head, Raiders is 38 or 39 and Doom 35

Interesting...thanks for the heads-up @talos7

TOD is 1935, Raiders is 1936 and Last Crusade is 1938 (with River Phoenix as young Indy in 1912)
    And then of course Crystal Skull is 1957.

Back when Harrison did the cameo on Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, that was 1950
    TOD is 1935, Raiders is 1936 and Last Crusade is 1938 (with River Phoenix as young Indy in 1912)

Back when Harrison did the cameo on Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, that was 1950

Facinating.....so what year will Indy 5 be based in ,or has nothing been said ?

• edited March 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Raiders of the Lost Ark:
    south_america_clr_sktch.jpg

Temple of Doom:
    cnsmovie_indianajones_temple_02.jpg

The Last Crusade:
    indiana-jones-last-crusade-movie-screencaps.com-1227.jpg

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
    crystal-skull-movie-screencaps.com-265.jpg
    barryt007 wrote: »

I’ve been wondering that myself. But since Ford is in such great shape, they have some wiggle room. Even in Crystal Skull, Ford was 65 years old, but with the movie taking place in 1957, ‘Indy’ was only 57 years old (Indy’s birthday is July 1, 1899)

So with how great Harrison still looks, Indy 5 could technically be in the early 60’s and it would be believable
    Safe to say it will be set in the 60s or 70s.
    I was thinking the 60's myself...seems a logical next step,without making it too modern,which I feel the 70's might.
    Hell it could be 1959 for all we know. TLC takes place just a couple years after ROTLA, yet was filmed nearly a decade after!
    I’m hoping they’ll stay away from the 70’s.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TOD was made a prequel to ROTLA because they couldn't explain what happened to Ravenwood.
    If set in the 60s portions could have a classic Connery era Bond vibe.
    Maybe Indy will see a marquee with From Russia With Love and gives it a curious look as if there’s something familiar... ;)
    If set in the 60s portions could have a classic Connery era Bond vibe.
    Maybe Indy will see a marquee with From Russia With Love and gives it a curious look as if there’s something familiar... ;)
    Omg I love that idea!!!
    Great idea. Spielberg has used Bond cinema before in "Catch Me If You Can".

There could be a subtle wink at Connery , who was Bond back then and him also being Indy's dad in TLC.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,157
    I don’t know why it was made as a preque

According to the interviews in the Temple of Doom DVD, Lucas and Spielberg wanted Indy to have a new girl in every movie, and this encouraged them to make ToD a prequel, as that meant they wouldn't have to explain Marion's absence (that, and the fact they did not want Nazis as villains again).
    barryt007 wrote: »

Spielberg confirmed it's going to be set in the '60s. Some people speculated Indy 5 might be a throwback to the Bond movies (or spy stories in general) since the first three were a throwback to the serial adventures from the '30s and Crystal Skull was a reference to the sci-fi stories from the '50s.
    Interesting. Thanks.
    CS was a lost opportunity because I still bought Ford physically in the role and he could've done anything a great script required. Unfortunately, a great script was nowhere to be found. That great cast was squandered too.

"Crystal Skull" is probably my third favorite Indy film. My least favorite is "Last Crusade", because it didn't seem as original as the other three films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DRush76 wrote: »
    CS was a lost opportunity because I still bought Ford physically in the role and he could've done anything a great script required. Unfortunately, a great script was nowhere to be found. That great cast was squandered too.

"Crystal Skull" is probably my third favorite Indy film. My least favorite is "Last Crusade", because it didn't seem as original as the other three films.
    Utter, utter madness. And in what way is KOTCS any more original (apart from its liberal use of CGI, annoying cast of thousands and being absolutely terrible)?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,687
    DRush76 wrote: »

Dude, I could understand liking KOTCS as much as LC, but that's as understanding as I'm willing to be here. ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    5649df45b4e03e79a5692b515fecb1a1--pew-pew-sean-connery.jpg