Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As an Englishman happy for Oldman I first saw him in Sid and Nancy he deserves it great actor.
    More importantly, this will hopefully contribute to Oldman's career longevity and quality.
    I think his best work is probably in Leon: The Professional.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Oldman was great as Vlad/Dracula
    Why are women announcing best Actress?
    I totally agree. And on a lighter note dare I say Zorg in The Fifth Element.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I totally agree. And on a lighter note dare I say Zorg in The Fifth Element.

For the hair cut alone lol
    "Do not put your faith on such... trinkeets of deeceet. We are in... Transilvahnia."
    You guys are cracking me up!
    Wanted Sally Hawkins to win, but okay.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,104
    mattjoes wrote: »
    "Do not put your faith on such... trinkeets of deeceet. We are in... Transilvahnia."

Classic

Best Actress speech WT...
    He definitely put his stamp on the role of Vlad. Amazing. I have yet to see Dunkirk--gotta see it.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    He definitely put his stamp on the role of Vlad. Amazing. I have yet to see Dunkirk--gotta see it.

Highly recommended great movie
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Wanted Sally Hawkins to win, but okay.

I wanted Robbie to win
    Shape of Water. Bingo bingo. Finally a film I loved wins Best Picture.
    Wait, there was a mistake here.

Die Another Day won best picture.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Phantom thread got wasted this Oscars
    Shape of Water. Bingo bingo. Finally a film I loved wins Best Picture.

Great moment for Del Torro not watched the film though his creativity is genius
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Politically not right for the times, but an exceptionally good film.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,104
    bondjames wrote: »

Diversity was certainly at the forefront of Academy Voters minds
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 6,682
    bondjames wrote: »
    The outcome of the story was
    sickening, but also fascinating.
    Phantom Thread deserved more, but at least it got Costume award. Overall quite satisfied with most of this. My favorite picture won, and Deakins won, and Del Toro won, and Coco won.
    I think next year female actresses will be competing in the Best Actor category
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Very happy with the results this year, but I definitely would have picked Meryl Streep over Frances McDormand.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The good thing about The Shape of Water winning, is it will get more screenings, so that normal people also can watch it.
    Man I love it. Deakins’ win and the Best Picture winner automatically made it better for me than last year’s Oscars.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How many times will Nolan get snubbed by the academy? Complete travesty. People will remember Dunkirk for years to come as the best war movie ever. Who will remember Shape of Water? It's like The Artist (2011) winning everything, and who remembers that movie now?
    How many times will Nolan get snubbed by the academy? Complete travesty. People will remember Dunkirk for years to come as the best war movie ever. Who will remember Shape of Water? It's like The Artist (2011) winning everything, and who remembers that movie now?

1. I like The Artist a lot.
    2. Nolan has been snubbed, but Del Toro is a worthy winner with a great film. Shape of Water WILL be remembered, because it’s one of several achievements by a great director.
    3. Dunkirk is a great film, and Nolan is a great director. The Academy is far from perfect; Kubrick never won Best Director.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2018 Posts: 7,969

Didn't say it wasn't a good movie, but when do you hear people talk about it now?

Didn't say it wasn't a good movie, but when do you hear people talk about it now?

Sadly, not often. But there are countless good to great movies that are rarely talked about. Everyone talks about The Avengers and Frozen still but I dislike both of those. Being famous is just one small factor.