Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

suavejmf wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    As much as I agree with a lot of your sentiments @suavejmf, how does German-born Irishman Fassbender fit into your "not British enough" for the role of Bond?

Because he is technically Irish and thus British by heritage.....despite where he was born. Hemsworth as an example is an out an out Ozzie.....who IMO have no connection to us Brits anymore.
    And yet, it can be argued that Fassbender has as much claim on a German heritage as he does that of an Irish one. Neither makes him 100% British, if one wants to be pedantic about it.

@Thunderfinger - David Niven, Vivien Leigh, Julie Christie, etc, come from a period when Britain had an Empire and had many personnel stationed abroad, hence the reason why so many English actors were born there. Notice the difference in their surnames. None have a German one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    NicNac wrote: »
    Can you use that word…?
    Anyway, the actor referred to, did actually pronounce it better. A British viewer will no doubt react the same way if Bond's english is nothing but perfect.

It is the other n word that is derogatory.

Sorry but the word is considered offensive and I believe illegal in the USA. I’m willing to be corrected on that.
    Either way we can’t accept it here.
    It's not illegal, but is considered offensive by many depending on where you're from due to connotations with slavery and because it sounds like the other word. It's hardly used as far as I'm aware anyway.

Obama signed a law preventing 'that term' and 'oriental' from being used in federal documents, but it's not illegal.

https://www.snopes.com/president-obama-bans-the-words-negro-and-oriental/

Ironically 'blacks' (plural) is acceptable and used quite regularly on US news networks etc. In my opinion, that sounds more offensive.

At the rate we're going everything could be considered offensive soon anyway.

Purdue writing guide: Words with 'MAN' 'should be avoided
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,131
    As much as I agree with a lot of your sentiments @suavejmf, how does German-born Irishman Fassbender fit into your "not British enough" for the role of Bond?

Because he is technically Irish and thus British by heritage.....despite where he was born. Hemsworth as an example is an out an out Ozzie.....who IMO have no connection to us Brits anymore.
    And yet, it can be argued that Fassbender has as much claim on a German heritage as he does that of an Irish one. Neither makes him 100% British, if one wants to be pedantic about it.

@Thunderfinger - David Niven, Vivien Leigh, Julie Christie, etc, come from a period when Britain had an Empire and had many personnel stationed abroad, hence the reason why so many English actors were born there. Notice the difference in their surnames. None have a German one.

Yes but the character of Bond is half Swiss is he not....so Fassbender is fine. Plus his British accent is perfect. Ozzie and American actors etc can't do the accent properly. I accept that the British are a bastard race given the empire....but I see no reason to cast a none white, none male, none brit in the role. Let's just stick with Fleming and actors who have the natural ability to pull off all the required credentials including the accent. Going back to day Hemsworth....he is clearly 'putting on' a fake English accent in Rush and Thor.
    People open to an American actor playing Bond... Any contemporary example of one who can convincingly and naturally (i.e. seamlessly) speak with a British accent? I mean John Lithgow is fine but he's not Bond material.

And it's not like such casting has worked very well in the past.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    People open to an American actor playing Bond... Any contemporary example of one who can convincingly and naturally (i.e. seamlessly) speak with a British accent? I mean John Lithgow is fine but he's not Bond material.

And it's not like such casting has worked very well in the past.

There is no example in cinematic history. Lithgow is generally a great actor but his accent as Churchill was unconvincing and flawed (pantomime at best IMO). Any Brit can see through the fake accents right away.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2018 Posts: 45,489
    bondjames wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Can you use that word…?
    Anyway, the actor referred to, did actually pronounce it better. A British viewer will no doubt react the same way if Bond's english is nothing but perfect.

It is the other n word that is derogatory.

Sorry but the word is considered offensive and I believe illegal in the USA. I’m willing to be corrected on that.
    Either way we can’t accept it here.
    It's not illegal, but is considered offensive by many depending on where you're from due to connotations with slavery and because it sounds like the other word. It's hardly used as far as I'm aware anyway.

Obama signed a law preventing 'that term' and 'oriental' from being used in federal documents, but it's not illegal.

https://www.snopes.com/president-obama-bans-the-words-negro-and-oriental/

Ironically 'blacks' (plural) is acceptable and used quite regularly on US news networks etc. In my opinion, that sounds more offensive.

At the rate we're going everything could be considered offensive soon anyway.

Purdue writing guide: Words with 'MAN' 'should be avoided

The most idiotic thing about it is, it means the same. And I can see the horrendous Spanish word in your Snopes link.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Yes but the character of Bond is half Swiss is he not....so Fassbender is fine.
    James Bond's Swiss mother was called Monique Delacroix, so that would make her French Swiss, not German Swiss. But I can see that you're willing to move the goalposts for Fassbender, but not for any other foreign actors, which is ok, it's your prerogative.
    Plus his British accent is perfect. Ozzie and American actors etc can't do the accent properly.
    I agree, Fassbender does do a convincing English accent. I'm not going to dispute that. However, I don't accept that Ozzie actors can't do a decent English accent also.
    I accept that the British are a bastard race given the empire....but I see no reason to cast a none white, none male, none brit in the role.
    It's been done already. Both Lazenby and Brosnan weren't British, though I agree that Bond should remain caucasian and male.
    Let's just stick with Fleming and actors who have the natural ability to pull off all the required credentials including the accent.
    I agree. But my predilection for a Hemsworth-type actor is that he's at least macho and young. Something that's been missing from the majority of the suggestions put forward by members here. I happen to think Fassbender would have made a great Bond, but realistically, he's too old to takeover now so there's little point in keep mentioning his name.
    Going back to Hemsworth....he is clearly 'putting on' a fake English accent in Rush and Thor.
    That's because you're conscious of the fact that he's an Australian. Having listened to Fassbender talk as the actor Michael Fassbender, the man clearly has an unmistakable broad Southern Irish accent. Therefore, I'm always conscious of the fact that he's clearly adopting a fake English accent when acting. Same difference really. It's whether one chooses to acknowledge it or not.
    Mmm. No it's not. I watched Rush....thought Hemsworth'saccent sounded dodgy and then discovered he was Australian thereafter. Lazenbys main weak point as Bond IMO was his voice and accent. He was an ok Bond.....in one of the best films.....but he has the worst voice IMO of the Bond actors thus far. Your right though....I am willing to move the goal posts for Fassbender given his overall credentials.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Lazenby fit OHMSS better than any of the other 5 actors would have. It's just one of those serendipitous things that happen in life. Whether he would have made a good Bond in a different context is another matter, and very doubtfully, but it doesn't matter because he stopped when he did. I believe that everything in Bond happens for a reason and that's why we keep getting spooky coincidence, as if there was a greater plan in motion from its inception.
    In my humble opinion, it's time for another bit of serendipity.
    Okay, I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this Turner bloke as a possible candidate? And by that, I don't mean Aidan... I mean Jack Turner. I'll admit that I haven't honestly seen him in anything, so I don't know whether he fills my own testosterone level requirements for Bond as of yet. He could have an incredibly unmasculine voice for all I know and be too posh. I'm just throwing out a little known English actor that's 6ft, looks macho enough, and is young enough to be a possible future contender. With regards to his acting résumé, I don't think it's important to have a long and distinguished Filmography at this stage. After all, even Fassbender was stuck doing mostly small TV roles until his role as Stelios in 300 brought him to the attention of movie casting directors. Basically, EON should have spotted Fassbender's potential long before 300, not when he's already been firmly established and is now too old for the part. Apart from various TV work, Jack Turner has a part in the upcoming Nosferatu remake. It's just a suggestion!!!

jt3.png
    Looks a little bit like young Tom Cruise.
    Looks nothing like Tom Cruise.
    To me he does, a little.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't see the resemblance either.
    That's fine, agree to disagree.
    Youngish looking, wholesome, fit and clean cut with good hair. That is what is drawing the comparison.

I know nothing about him but from that photo he seems a bit pretty boy average (read modelesque or 'Taylor Lautner'ish) looking. I would have thought Bond should be a bit more distinctive, even if not conventional.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Looks a little bit like young Tom Cruise.

I see that. Not a clone but there is something similar.

Youngish looking, wholesome, fit and clean cut with good hair. That is what is drawing the comparison.

I know nothing about him but from that photo he seems a bit pretty boy average (read modelesque or 'Taylor Lautner'ish) looking. I would have thought Bond should be a bit more distinctive, even if not conventional.
    You may well be right, I can't defend the actor. However, I disagree about him looking pretty boy average and ho-hum conventional. It's only one photo example that I've posted. There's plenty of others available online. But, you must bare in mind, that the guy is still growing into his looks much like Aidan Turner is. The alternative is to find another 39-year-old established actor again, rinse and repeat, resulting in a Bond that's already too old going into his second 007 movie.

Having said that, I haven't a clue who Taylor Lautner is. Is he an actor?

Also, I think there's a slight George Lazenby look to the square-jawed Jack Turner.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Well he’s better than aiden

You may well be right, I can't defend the actor. However, I disagree about him looking pretty boy average and ho-hum conventional. It's only one photo example that I've posted. There's plenty of others available online. But, you must bare in mind, that the guy is still growing into his looks much like Aidan Turner is. The alternative is to find another 39-year-old established actor again, rinse and repeat, resulting in a Bond that's already too old going into his second 007 movie.
    I will take a look at some other photos to get a better idea of this chap.

I agree with the continued issue of casting too old. In my view Craig was too old to be cast as a rookie. He was already showing unfortunate signs of aging by SF, and recent photos seem to suggest that the process is accelerating uncomfortably. He's a smoker too as far as I'm aware (or at least he was when SP was released), which doesn't help.

Having said that EON don't have to clutch onto these old timers like leeches either. They could be dispatched sooner so someone else can get a shot at what is a coveted role. This isn't the 80s anymore and Roger Moore was an exception. Retrospectively Brosnan should consider himself lucky that he left while he was still presentable.
    He likes to think so. It's rather debateable. Plank imho. Former underwear model I think. Strictly teenage fare.
    Saw that Jack Turner filmography in imdb and not too impressed. How old is he? Did he do any stage work?
    I don't know his age @Ludovico. I'm guessing very early thirties.
    I agree with the continued issue of casting too old. In my view Craig was too old to be cast as a rookie. He was already showing unfortunate signs of aging by SF, and recent photos seem to suggest that the process is accelerating uncomfortably. He's a smoker too as far as I'm aware (or at least he was when SP was released), which doesn't help.
    I can't disagree.
    Having said that EON don't have to clutch onto these old timers like leeches either. They could be dispatched sooner so someone else can get a shot at what is a coveted role. This isn't the 80s anymore and Roger Moore was an exception. Retrospectively Brosnan should consider himself lucky that he left while he was still presentable.
    Having been around during Roger Moore's entire tenure, I can state that a lot of us (as well as a large swathe of movie critics) felt that Sir Roger was getting a bit long in the tooth by the time he appeared in MR. Hence the reason why the British media were promoting Lewis Collins for the role of Bond in FYEO. Sadly, the fans were mostly ignored and we instead got Moore going into his Golden Years as 007.
    He likes to think so. It's rather debateable. Plank imho. Former underwear model I think. Strictly teenage fare.
    Oh, you mean like Mark Wahlberg then?
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,352

The mention of Mark Wahlberg makes me think of how the career of Matthew McConaughey has been in recent years. Far from the romantic comedies of the early 00's.

_________

Looks like Max Irons is going to play in a TV series based on Sydney Pollack's Three Days of the Condor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor_(TV_series)
    In fairness Wahlberg has come a long way since his Marky Mark days. I never thought it would be possible, but he's been reasonably impressive in a few films over the years. No, this Lautner chap is far worse and has limited facial muscle movements. Honestly, I'm not even sure if he was a model, but perhaps he should have been rather than an actor.
    The mention of Mark Wahlberg makes me think of how the career of Matthew McConaughey has been in recent years. Far from the romantic comedies of the early 00's.
    He showed great potential in A Time to Kill (1996). Recommended if you haven't seen it.
    He showed great potential in A Time to Kill (1996). Recommended if you haven't seen it.

Thanks for the tip! :)
    @bondsum I'd be more enthusiastic about such candidate than any bigger name to be honest. A few months ago I suggested Luke Thompson. I don't know enough about him to say he'd be good but he's an unknown, he's done some stage work and his young enough (albeit maybe too youthful looking).
    The obvious advantage of a relative unknown is that they will be more readily associated with the character. It's certainly not necessary to cast an unknown though, if the script and film are good enough (public perceptions can be molded) as Marvel has shown time and time again with their picks, but such a move requires great confidence on the part of the film makers.

The more I think about this, they may have to go young with the next guy. The world has moved on and Bond seems almost like a metaphorical 'old man' in some ways (particularly on account of the overt themes employed in SF). They may be forced to reimagine it in a more hip way. I'm not sure that's what I want, but it may be what they are forced to do unless they go the 'period' route, when the character can exist more purely, foibles and all.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,837
    @bondjames Not saying you're wrong but can I just ask where you heard he was a smoker when SP was released? Because I always had it in my head that he quit before CR and that was one of the reasons Bond doesn't smoke anymore.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found this. Doesn't seem like he smokes often to be fair, just every now and again if he's having a drink

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/news/a8782/daniel-craig-interview/

Also "he offers me his lighter – encased in a spent bullet shell from the set of a 007 gunfight", can we take a minute to appreciate what a great souvinier that'd be. Sure the suits watches and Aston Martins are alright too mind but still that's a cool little memento.
    @thelivingroyale I read an interview at the time of SP's release where he was smoking along with the interviewer while it was conducted. I will try to locate it if I can.

EDIT: Here it is. Interesting read.
    https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/news/a8782/daniel-craig-interview/

EDIT again: You got it before me.