Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    taken-poster-dark-fullsize.jpg
    Liam Neeson has no substitute. The man makes wrapping packages look badass.
    Highlander
    Highlander 2 - Renegade Version
    Highlander 3 - The Final Dimension
    Highlander - Endgame
    Highlander - The Source
    The Shawshank Redemption...I only just watched it for the first time recently (this was probably my 3rd viewing) and my god it just gets better and better each time I see it. 10/10 masterpiece
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    bondbat007 wrote:
    The Shawshank Redemption...I only just watched it for the first time recently (this was probably my 3rd viewing) and my god it just gets better and better each time I see it. 10/10 masterpiece

It is awesome, inspiring, and many more adjectives. I love this film! But I think it was duly appreciated wasn't it? Nominated for many things; wasn't the box office okay? It's been awhile so I don't remember.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,399
    STAR WARS : EPISODE III : Revenge Of The Sith

it had been a while since I had watched any Star Wars movie, so I thought I would pop in ROTS just for the heck of it - and i actually remembered why i like this movie so much, and why i feel it's the only SW prequel that actually deserves to be set next to the original trilogy.. it's the moments in the film like right before Anakin goes darkside - when it's silent - just the imagery of him and Padme, with the sun setting, turning to night - the darkness settling in.. it's a very powerful scene - and i love the final lightsaber battle between Anakin and Obi Wan / Yoda and Sidious... the other scene i really like is where Palpatine and Anakin are at that "opera" or whatever - and the way Palpatine kneads on Anakin's judgement and train of thought is mesmerizing - this was truly Ian McDirmid's film, and it shows - almost every scene he is in, he steals the spotlight, especially when he finally gets Anakin to turn.... yes, it does have it's moments, ie: awful dialog at times, "NOOOO!!!", and IMO - Anakin turning darkside a little too quick..... but it's still a great ride.
    Cinema Paradiso. Great movie
    bondbat007 wrote:

It is awesome, inspiring, and many more adjectives. I love this film! But I think it was duly appreciated wasn't it? Nominated for many things; wasn't the box office okay? It's been awhile so I don't remember.

Yes it wasn't a box office hit but it became the best selling home video of 1995 and it's one of the highest grossing films on VHS/DVD ever so no worries there.

And it was nominated a ton but everything lost to Forrest Gump (which I also love). Imagine you had Shawshank, Gump, and Pulp Fiction all nominated at the Oscars. What a year for movies!

@haserot
    Agreed ROTS is a great film and it surpasses Return of the Jedi in my opinion
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 303
    The Hunger Games
    - I haven't read any of the books, but two of my friends, who had read them recomended me going with them to see the release of the film adaptation.
    It was a pretty good film, I can't compare it to the book, but I can see why people love the books so much! It is a really well made film, and I wouldn't mind seeing the sequel if it is released.

8/10

HASEROT wrote:
    STAR WARS : EPISODE III : Revenge Of The Sith

it had been a while since I had watched any Star Wars movie, so I thought I would pop in ROTS just for the heck of it - and i actually remembered why i like this movie so much, and why i feel it's the only SW prequel that actually deserves to be set next to the original trilogy.. it's the moments in the film like right before Anakin goes darkside - when it's silent - just the imagery of him and Padme, with the sun setting, turning to night - the darkness settling in.. it's a very powerful scene - and i love the final lightsaber battle between Anakin and Obi Wan / Yoda and Sidious... the other scene i really like is where Palpatine and Anakin are at that "opera" or whatever - and the way Palpatine kneads on Anakin's judgement and train of thought is mesmerizing - this was truly Ian McDirmid's film, and it shows - almost every scene he is in, he steals the spotlight, especially when he finally gets Anakin to turn.... yes, it does have it's moments, ie: awful dialog at times, "NOOOO!!!", and IMO - Anakin turning darkside a little too quick..... but it's still a great ride.

- Yes! I thought this was a superb addition to the saga aswell.
    I think it is a brilliant film, that is only let down by the opening / Grievous parts. It is so underated in how it is tret among Star Wars fans, and, unlike most, I actually appreciate Episodes I and II as they build up for III's epic climax. III is so dramatic, and wonderfully made; it is my third favourite Star Wars film.
    The big lebowski, love this movie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Counting down to The Avengers, I gave Hulk another try:

Eric-The-Hulk-eric-bana-48962_355_372.jpg

It's okay but flawed in certain places. Altogether, I prefer the Bill Bixby TV series over this film for the mere fact of Bixby being such a soothing, gentle presence.
    MAD MAX (1979)
    Great film and probably the second best australian film made with mad max 2 being the best.
    I started another franchise marathon, this time with Alien.

Coming up next are; Aliens, Alien³ and Alien Resurrection
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    professional_ver1.jpg
    I had never seen this up until now, but I can say with certainty it is one of the best films I've seen. It is striking and makes me appreciate Luc Besson even more. The film is shocking with its content, and Natalie show such superb talent at such a young age handling very strong material. Jean Reno is brilliant as always and Gary Oldman never fails as one of the most maliciously crazed villains I've ever seen on film. For anyone that hasn't seen it, here it is on YouTube:
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, I saw it in the U.S. listed as just The Professional. Loved it then, love it still. And Reno is one of my fav actors for sure. I just wish I understood French! After this film, Natalie did a slew of films I did not care for; but I was so happy to see her shine and get plenty of accolades for The Black Swan.
    I've only seen Leon the once, and thought it was actually quite good. It's the one where that little girl always carries a plant pot around for some reason. Gary Oldman does well as always, one of the best UK actors they have produced I think. Jean Reno is a bit obscure maybe, not that well recognized but perhaps this is his standout film. It is not as violent as some make out however, but still an entertaining two hours spent.

If you want to see a violent or shocking Oldman movie I suggest Nil By Mouth. Ok he was not in it but did direct the movie. Not a pleasant watch.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Last night I watched half of The Hunt For Red October, before I fell asleep, I'll finish it tonight. Never seen it before and it's pretty good so far.

Currently watching Balls of Fury, very funny.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Last night I watched half of The Hunt For Red October, before I fell asleep, I'll finish it tonight. Never seen it before and it's pretty good so far.

Very good film !! :)>-
    @DaltonCraig007

Finished it last night and yes it was a very good film! So good, in fact, that I went out and rented Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger; tried to get The Sum of All Fears but the rental store didn't carry it.

Finished Patriot Games this afternoon and it was very good as well. I like Ford in the role of Ryan but wish he was about 10 or 15 years younger for it. Jack Ryan in "The Hunt for Red October" was 35 but in "Patriot Games" he's 50. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be watching "Clear and Present Danger".

Knight and Day (2010) 6/10
    Wall street :money never sleeps (2010) 6/10
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo w/ Bond Daniel Craig.
    Clear and Present Danger

Great movie but I like the first two Jack Ryan outings better.
    Rambo a masterpiece of its genre.
    It was on late the other night and I didn't really want to watch but found gradually drawn into it, seen it so many times anyway, that is Ferris Buellers Day Off

This was probably the movie that made Broderick or gets most recognition for, although I liked Wargames so much better. It sometimes gets a bit dull, and maybe I don't appreciate it as much as I once did but it's worth watching even if only to see a young Mia Sara and Alan Ruck before they went on to bigger things

As always the late director Hughes, pays almost nauseating devotion to his Chicago locations and upbringing, but I thought some of his other work like The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles should of got more recognition than they did

Worth watching if there's nothing else on, but don't blame me if you end up throwing something heavy at the TV screen through some of the more annoying sequences that this 1986 movie has to offer

ferris-bueller-dvd.jpg
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2012 Posts: 3,262
    0088709002620_300X300.jpg

Excellent WWII comedy/spy adventure with Danny Kaye playing a dual role. Smartly co-written and directed by Melville Shavelson and Jack Rose who wrote many comedy classics(especially for Bob Hope) of the time period. Great support from the lovely Dana Wynter as his wife, Wilfrid Hyde-White doing his Colonel Pickering-style of character best, and the delectable Diana Dors(billed in this film as "Miss Diana Dors") as a sultry double agent. Of all of Kaye's films, I think this is my favorite.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1963theprize3.jpg

I was expecting something a bit livelier. Newman is a womanisng alcoholic high brow author whom secrectly rights detective thriller under a pseudonym. When he travels to Stockholm to receive the nobel prize in literature, his thriller writer instincts are alerted whenhe starts to suspect another recipient of the prize (Robinson) is an imposter. Thankfully Newman is not alone in his investigations, along for the ride is a assistant sent by the foreign department (Sommer).

I know this was made in 1963, but there is some truely shocking BSP in this. One scene has Newman being pushed off a rooftop, and down into the river below. The freefall looks like a BSP screen was laid out on the floor, and Newman was told to lie on top off it and act out a freefall.

16. Elke Sommer
    1. Lisa And The Devil (1973
    2. Deadlier Than The Male (1967)
    3. Baron Blood (1972)
    4. Carry On Behind (1976)
    5. Daniella By Night (1962)
    6. Sweet Ecstasy (1962)
    7. A Shot In The Dark (1964)
    **8. The Prize (1963) NE**
    9. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square (1979)
    10. The Swiss Conspiracy (1976)
    11. The Victors (1963)
    1963theprize3.jpg

I see you put it right below "A Shot In The Dark", Major. On a scale from 1 to 4 with 1 being poor and 4 being excellent, how many points would you give "The Prize"?

Also, did you notice the similarities to "North By Northwest" courtesy of Ernest Lehman who wrote both scripts? I love Miss Sommer's character's name(Inger Lisa Andersen. It just pleasingly rolls off the tongue.) I also love the film's 2nd leading lady, the gorgeous brunette Diane Baker, especially the scene between her and Newman at The Golden Crown:

"You speak very good English for a non-drinker, Miss?"
    "Greta Garbo."
    "Hmm. Mind if I call you Ingrid?"

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    On the 1 to 4 scale... 3, I guess.

Re NBNW: I didn't notice any similarities to NBNW. Though to be fair, it's been some time since I watched NBNW.

Re Baker: I like how the film had a contrast with the blonde and brunette. It took me a while to remember where i'd seen Baker before, albeit older- she had a minor role in Silence Of The Lambs.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 3,262
    On the 1 to 4 scale... 3, I guess.

3's a pretty accurate rating IMHO. It's no masterpiece but a fun romp.
    Re NBNW: I didn't notice any similarities to NBNW. Though to be fair, it's been some time since I watched NBNW.

The 2 biggest similarities are the scene where Newman tries to disrupt the nudist meeting so they'll contact the police and save him from the East German Communist agents trying to kill him(NBNW: Grant tries to disrupt an auction so they'll contact the police and save him from the enemy agents trying to kill him) and the scene where he goes with the police to the apartment where he found a dead body and the "merry widow" acts all innocent(NBNW: Grant goes with his mother to James Mason's home where he was kidnapped and the woman acts all innocent).
    Re Baker: I like how the film had a contrast with the blonde and brunette. It took me a while to remember where i'd seen Baker before, albeit older- she had a minor role in Silence Of The Lambs.

Agreed. In Bond-like fashion, Newman has 2 women(3 if you count the Mrs. in the French man and wife physicist team who flirts with Newman to make her husband jealous). Miss Baker was a very underrated actress of the 1950s and 1960s who often played the 2nd female lead in many films of the time period(Journey To The Center Of The Earth with Pat Boone, Hitchcock's Marnie with Sean Connery, The Diary of Anne Frank, etc.) A couple of exceptions for her were Mirage with Gregory Peck and Disney's The Horse In The Grey Flannel Suit with Dean Jones.

Have you seen these Elke movies?

And_Then_There_Were_None_FilmPoster.jpeg

220px-TheWreckingCrew.jpg

Boy_did_i_get_a_wrong_number.jpg

248612.1020.A.jpg
    All the Sommer films that i've seen, were ranked in my post. Though I have been looking for Boy Did I Get A Wrong Number? for some time, without any luck... yet.
    All the Sommer films that i've seen, were ranked in my post. Though I have been looking for Boy Did I Get A Wrong Number? for some time, without any luck... yet.

Here's a clip from it:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/344465/Boy-Did-I-Get-A-Wrong-Number-Movie-Clip-My-Ribs-Are-Showing.html

I see a Region 2 DVD is being offered on ebay but I wouldn't recommend paying $29.99 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boy-Did-I-Get-a-Wrong-Number-NEW-PAL-DVD-Bob-Hope-/150585369786?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item230f9664ba

"Ten Little Indians" is the best of those 4 titles IMHO. It was shot at a hotel in pre-Mohammedan revolution Iran and reteamed Elke with Herbert Lom from "A Shot In The Dark". It also featurers Bond series vets Adolfo Celi and Gert Frobe.