The Big Space Exploration Topic [21-08-2017: Total Solar Eclipse in the USA!]

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What if it destroys Saturn?
    Hahaha it will burn up in the atmosphere so as not do disturb possible life on Titan.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    ISn't that thinking too highly of Cassinni? You're telling me they actually think that it might be able to knock out the one single lifeform that has managed to develop there? What if he's on the other side of the moon?

Anyway, still pretty cool way to go.

How am I supposed to accept this as a scientific paper when it starts with 'The ultracool dwarf star TRAPPIST'? Trappist is a very fine beer and the rest speaks for itself!
  • Be stunned. New images from the NASA Juno probe. Really....stunning....how massive Jupiter looks!
    PIA21780.jpg
    That is divine.
    Amazing images!
    satire-WM-Mond-Gassi-DW-Satire-x-jpg.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    pia21345-full.jpg
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Cassinni is going to break up and disintegrate in Saturn's atmosphere tomorrow.

7756_FullView_BlackBackground_web.jpg
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,119
    But before it is time to say goodbye to our beloved Cassini-Huygens probe, our Curiosity Rover on Mars keeps baffling us with now HDpictures of the surface:
    PIA21851.jpg
    PIA21850.jpg
    PIA21849.jpg
    PIA21852.jpg

Finally, NASA created also this wonderful topographical map of Pluto. Photographed by the New Horizons probe, which is now warping to a new darf-planetarian object:
    PIA21944.jpg
    And an aerial view of Pluto:
    PIA21863.jpg

And a similar topographical map was created of dwarf planet Ceres. As you know, the Dawn probe, with the first of its kind impulse drive, is still circling around Ceres. Can you find the famous Occator Crater? Learn it by heart!:
    PIA21755.jpg

Oowh, here are the latest High-Res images of Saturn. I just can't help how Majestic this planet looks like. Funny thing is, I showed it today at some of my female colleagues at work. And their response: "Is this for real?". No girls, I painted them :-P:
    PIA21345.jpg
    PIA21888.jpg

To close the roundup of images, I actually would like to feature our own planet Earth, and the immense hurricanes (typhoons, cyclones in the Pacific) it is able to build up. Obviously there's not much positivity in such a cloud structure, as it destroys/whipes out so many human built structures. Yet, from the MISR-probe the image of hurricane Irma was quite astonishing:
    PIA21946.jpg
    PIA21946.gif
    [img][/img]eyewall__935219.jpg?v=at&w=1280&h=720&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0
    katrina-eyewall-4-08-28-2005.jpghttps://www.e-education.psu.edu/worldofweather/files/worldofweather/eye_schematic1002.jpg
    Those are great pictures.

wumo58ee0965e1d5f5.40237555.jpg
    Fascinating...just shows the power of nature.

UPDATE :

BBC Newsflash.

Cassini has just broken up in Saturn's atmosphere,and is no more - destroyed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    UPDATE :

BBC Newsflash.

Until some alien finds and fixes it in a few years time and starts beaming signals back to Earth...
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    UPDATE :

BBC Newsflash.

Until some alien finds and fixes it in a few years time and starts beaming signals back to Earth...

That would be a turn up !

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    UPDATE :

BBC Newsflash.

It was really the biggest extra-terran space probe. As big as a small minivan. Weighing almost 6,000 kg's. Basically the last of its kind. So it truly saddens me. I remember back in 2004 the live coverage of the Christiaan Huygens probe, and that it was about to descent through the Titan atmosphere. And then the big news: "Huygens has safely landed!!"I was overjoyed. The data it eventually delivered was nothing short of stunning. Just watch this video of the downwards videocamera of Huygens:

I saw channels, rivers, lakes. It was like a frikkin' Star Trek tale coming true

So I am sad. BUTTTT next year an even bigger space vessel will be launched. The insane James Webb telescope:
    image005.jpg
    JWST_team_in_front_of_real-size_scale_model.jpg
    cool ,can't wait!
  • Please dear nerds, be stunned and watch this wonderful video for a moment:
    Seen it ol'boy, now give me more Cassini! ;-)
    20.png
    wulffmorgenthaler-1.gif
    1a1d23f3ab0d7641497cb963c314e5f9.jpg

My. God. Stunning @Thunderfinger! We can travel with warp 10 by moving our mouse ;-)!
    very nice!
    10.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

Most amazing launch of a rocket in a long time! The two sideboosters land simultaneously in spectacular fashion (watch it here!), and apparently the center core ran out of fuel on its way back, missed the sea-platform and crashed into the sea at full speed. Well, it was a test...

The main cargo was a Mars-red Tesla car that was being accelerated by the second stage onto an elliptical course around the sun, alternating between Mars and Earth orbit. It will be the fastest car in the universe for a long time.

Of course it is ridiculous to blast a car into space, but it is more inspiring than a block of concrete, which would normally have been used for test flights such as this. The car has a spaceman-dummy on board, wearing a real space suit, and a live camera:

• edited February 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Watched the live stream, just breath taking. The twin landing of the boosters just as impressive as the launch. The crash of the core is a reminder that this is serious research and we are pushing our limits.

I see there is a Douglas Adams quote on the dash. With Musk being a huge Bond fan, have EON missed a trick? A quote from Moonraker would have been fantastic and a nice tribute to RM:

"Take me 'round the world one more time."