POLL: Who was [Sir Roger Moore's] Bond's most serious love interest?

2»

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Octopussy, yeah.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    echo wrote: »
    Milovy wrote: »
    Why Melina? There was nothing romantic or sexual between them until the last scene.

Just no chemistry. Kind of like Wai Lin.

Bingo. Moore Bond and Melina's relationship seemed more like father and daughter while Brosnan Bond and Wai seemed more like brother and sister.
    I agree with Octopussy.
    I'd be tempted to say Tracy. Of all the Bond actors he's the one who grieved her the most. Or at least as much as Lazenby.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This is strictly Roger, unless I missed something.

That is what I meant: he shows he misses her in TSWLM and of course in FYEO.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    This is strictly Roger, unless I missed something.

That is what I meant: he shows he misses her in TSWLM and of course in FYEO.
    I never thought about it that way before, and I think I agree with you. His most meaningful relationship was with a woman who we never see him with during his tenure. It's just the memory of her.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    i wonder how much was just Moore playing "international playboy" and how much was a choice to show how a widower might act...

Moore was surprisingly good in dramatic moments, especially from TSWLM onward, when he settled into the character. I mean, of course, there's the moment with Anya "You've made your point" and the MR centrifuge, but even in the lousy AVTAK he shines: "It's not mutual." Tibbett is perhaps Moore's best friendship in his entire run.

Moore remains underrated.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    How is this poll going? I'm seriously interested in knowing the answer to the question in the OP. And by that, of course, I mean the majority vote. :-)
    I'll say it again: Tracy. I always thought he was the most convincing widower. It's explicit in TSWLM and FYEO of course, but implied in OP.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    76deece2dd76a66b71366c319f906de7.jpg
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'll say it again: Tracy. I always thought he was the most convincing widower. It's explicit in TSWLM and FYEO of course, but implied in OP.

Which scene/line?
    Walecs wrote: »

Which scene/line?

Something about the way he says to Octopussy they're two of a kind. Like they both have a history and are wounded. I always thought there was a reminiscence of Tracy then. I might be wrong.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    That's a good catch. While he clearly displayed an affection for Tracy that he never replicated, of the on-screen ones it has to be Octopussy. They had a history together, were of a similar age, and managed an instant connection (there's an emotional flare-up in their first encounter instead of the typical icy distance, and Bond beds her in their first encounter).

Anya comes next for similarly obvious reasons. Interesting that Triple X and Octopussy, who had by far the most emotional connection to Roger's Bond, were the only ones to have some sort of knowledge or connection to his history. I agree the others have purely superficial relationships with Bond. The only one with a bit more than that would be Holly Goodhead, and probably just because she shares Bond's secret agent background (I did think she complemented Roger's Bond very well, though).

And in these terms I would say Moore's Bond had by far the weakest relationship with Goodnight.

Also agreed with what people have been saying about Melina. Their relationship is quite a different one, so the ending scene does feel a bit shoehorned but not altogether unbelievable.
  • dkdpbensondkdpbenson Oklahoma, United States
    F) Major Anya Amasova, KGB Agent XXX...They had the best chemistry and understood each other the best. Should've brought her back for Moonraker instead of the Holly Goodhead character.
    I agree. I like the references to Tracy in Moore's films; he is a convincing widower. The most of any Bond post-Lazenby.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    OCTOPUSSY!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,571
    dkdpbenson wrote: »
    F) Major Anya Amasova, KGB Agent XXX...They had the best chemistry and understood each other the best. Should've brought her back for Moonraker instead of the Holly Goodhead character.

She was supposed to come back for a cameo in AVTAK, but Bach declined.

Taking the OP questions
    Who do you consider Moore's Bond's love equal?
    Octopussy

Who do you think could have married Moore's Bond eventually?
    Solitaire. She's an innocent, unused to being independent. She would probably look to settle down.