The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Even at 40 years old now, TSWLM feels epic. The perfect balance of thrills, suspense and humor for Roger. I always find it fun all the way through.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Right. A classic Roger-ism. Sometimes it seems more of a smirk. Like later in TSWLM to Jaws when egging him on to smile before releasing the magnet on him. I feel like there's another one somewhere.......

The full-blown smile he gives Jaws when they first meet face-to-face in MR is quite funny.

He kind of does the head tilt when he says "Play it again San" in MR.

Oh yes! After he jumps from the warehouse roof. He and jaws have that little smiling exchange.
    And after the Chang fight. Subtle that time.
    I can remember looking for it deliberately when I first saw AVTAK in the cinema.
    When I was a kid at recess I'd pretend to be Bond and I had my best friend be Felix (he didn't really know who Felix Leiter was at the time, but I made it sound cool). If I were playing Roger I'd do that nod constantly. If I were Sean I'd just do my impression of his NSNA voice.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    When I was a kid at recess I'd pretend to be Bond and I had my best friend be Felix (he didn't really know who Felix Leiter was at the time, but I made it sound cool). If I were playing Roger I'd do that nod constantly. If I were Sean I'd just do my impression of his NSNA voice.

Haha, Roger and Sean's Bonds were probably the ones you'd want to imitate the most. No shortage of hilarious one-liners to throw around either.
    I love Shane Rimmer here. A great Roger ally. They had good chemistry.

Haha, Roger and Sean's Bonds were probably the ones you'd want to imitate the most. No shortage of hilarious one-liners to throw around either.

I remember the day I pretended to be Roger my friend said "Why are you talking like that? Do you other James Bond voice!"
    He eventually became a pretty big Bond fan himself.
    I love the 3rd act of TSWLM.
    I used to think it was a bit weaker than the rest of the film but it's grown on me. The Gilbert films had all good 3rd acts. LALD on the other hand was a disaster.
    I used to think it was a bit weaker than the rest of the film but it's grown on me. The Gilbert films had all good 3rd acts. LALD on the other hand was a disaster.

The boat chase is kind of the big climax in a way. I do like the underground cave section and the voodoo stuff. But TSWLM feels more epic, IMO.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    The boat chase is kind of the big climax in a way. I do like the underground cave section and the voodoo stuff. But TSWLM feels more epic, IMO.

The boat chase is fine on its own but it's ruined by being intercut with J.W. Pepper. But the finale with Kananga blowing up and the fight between Bond and Samedi just spoil all the tension that's been built up to then — horribly anticlimatic, both of them. Solitaire having virtually nothing to say until the epilogue was a terrible weakness on the part of the script as well. Not to mention Bond's watch buzzsaw was a serious case of Deux Ex Machina. At least the mannequin in TMWTGG and the dart watch in MR were shown beforehand so those plays by Bond were genuinely impressive. The magnet in TSWLM can also be criticised somewhat, but at least it has the excuse of being a humourous scene and not literally Bond escaping from death.

The epilogue is somewhat redeeming, at least.

The boat chase is fine on its own but it's ruined by being intercut with J.W. Pepper. But the finale with Kananga blowing up and the fight between Bond and Samedi just spoil all the tension that's been built up to then — horribly anticlimatic, both of them. Solitaire having virtually nothing to say until the epilogue was a terrible weakness on the part of the script as well. Not to mention Bond's watch buzzsaw was a serious case of Deux Ex Machina. At least the mannequin play in TMWTGG and the dart watch in MR were shown beforehand. The magnet in TSWLM can also be criticised somewhat, but at least it has the excuse of being a humourous scene and not literally Bond escaping from death.

The epilogue is somewhat redeeming, at least.

The buzz saw is a bit unfair for the audience. Solitaire doesn't get to say much except 'Where's Kananga?".
    LALD's ending is definitely more focused on the humor-side than suspense. Kananga blowing up the sofa while Whisper is sitting, his demise as well. Very much akin to a Road Runner cartoon.

This was a great viewing of TSWLM and I think I'll pop in another.

There are four other Blu rays I haven't seen:
    OP
    AVTAK
    GE
    TND.

I am a bit moved that my girlfriend presented this present to me today. Earlier she gave me a television DVD box set and unfortunately one of the discs was defective.
    The store wouldn't exchange it and refused to refund so I put up a fuss and got her money back. A few hours later she gives me this Bond box set...........which, being the fan I am it's surprising I never bought it for myself when SP was out.

So tonight I am indulging in some Bond..................which one to pop in next............
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Will be watching two of those in the next week. Popping on TMWTGG in about an hour tonight
    @ToTheRight - Octopussy sounds good for another Moore gem. If you want something different, GoldenEye.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Are you guys up for watching something at the same time tonight?

Might be fun............I'm thinking of going with OP.
    Cool! I'm in.
    I can do OP tonight. Would 1030 EST work?
    I can do OP tonight. Would 1030 EST work?

works for me
    Edit: I could do 1015 actually if people need to get started sooner.
    @Birdleson - What time is "tonight" for you over there in America? Round about now? I can do it.
    9:57 PM EST
    It's 1:58 PM here in Sydney.
    Edit: I could do 1015 actually if people need to get started sooner.

Sounds good.
    About 15 minutes then
    Let's give everyone 10-15 minutes to get set up with the bluray, and perhaps snack and a drink? 1015 EST start?

Looks like @bondjames @RogueAgent @chrisisall @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @PropertyOfALady @FoxRox are on. If any are interested, we are doing an group OP viewing & online commentary in 15 minutes in this thread.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm pacific. So how about at the next 15? That would be 7:15 for me.

Cool.
    Setting up my Bond cave now... Time to make a martini
    Not done one of these yet. Let's see how it goes.
    This will be fun. I'm excited as I haven't seen the Blu of this one before tonight.............this will be like watching it for the first time.
    Sydney, Australia. It's Saturday afternoon for me.

Am I correct in saying it's on in three minutes?
    At 15 after hit play on your machines!
    I'm in the Vivienne Michel Adirondack region of NY State.