The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I think Kim Fortune (not to be confused with Kim Richards) might have made a dashing Simon Templar about 5 years after MR.
    Roger as suave as ever in his white turtle neck.

The shot of him falling from the plane really does look like Roger.

This was my Dad's favorite PTS.
    I remember showing MR to a friend in high school and he laughed when Jaws flaps his arms.
    Beautiful titles- possibly a favorite and underrated song.

I love M here. 007 at last.
    One of my favorite gadgets- the dart bracelet.
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,881
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Just got off work- it's late time to unwind with............

MOONRAKER

I love the gunbarrel music here.

Good! One of my favorites. Barry transitioning into a symphonic sound.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 15,907
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Just got off work- it's late time to unwind with............

MOONRAKER

I love the gunbarrel music here.

Good! One of my favorites. Barry transitioning into a symphonic sound.

I love it. He had a completely different sound for Roger than Sean.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Enjoy @ToTheRight. My favorite Bond. Watching MR is like going on a 2 hour vacation around the globe (and beyond!)
    Enjoy @ToTheRight. My favorite Bond. Watching MR is like going on a 2 hour vacation around the globe (and beyond!)

It's the first Bond I ever saw. I really should go back and rank it much higher than I do. It's completely enjoyable.

I love Drax as a villain, Holly and Corrine. It's great.

Centrifuge scene- Bond gets thrashed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

One of my favourite PTS as well. Cool as ever even today right down to the gopro style filming combined with the wide angle perspective shots of Bond coming up on the baddie from behind. The breezy segue into the Bond theme during the fall is also very well done, capped by one of the best renditions of the Wilhelm scream. Barry's score for MR is truly top notch.
    bondjames wrote: »

One of my favourite PTS as well. Cool as ever even today right down to the gopro style filming combined with the wide angle perspective shots of Bond coming up on the baddie from behind. The breezy segue into the Bond theme during the fall is also very well done, capped by one of the best renditions of the Wilhelm scream. Barry's score for MR is truly top notch.

It's amazing. I saw a scratchy 35mm print screened a few years back and the PTS was great.

For years MR was my mom's favorite Bond film. She didn't like violence much so MR is a very mow key entry in that regard. Also she loved the outer space scenes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883

It's amazing. I saw a scratchy 35mm print screened a few years back and the PTS was great.

For years MR was my mom's favorite Bond film. She didn't like violence much so MR is a very mow key entry in that regard. Also she loved the outer space scenes.
    Lucky you. I'd do 'almost' anything to be able to see MR on the big screen. Hopefully they do a digital screening near me one day.

I completely get where your mother is coming from. MR is as 'wholesome family entertainment' as it gets for Bond. I don't even think he fires a gun in the film (although he shoots a few lazer guns I think). I've never had a problem with the outer space scenes either.

Enjoy! I'll be taking in a viewing some time in the next week or so.

Lucky you. I'd do 'almost' anything to be able to see MR on the big screen. Hopefully they do a digital screening near me one day.

I completely get where your mother is coming from. MR is as 'wholesome family entertainment' as it gets for Bond. I don't even think he fires a gun in the film (although he shoots a few lazer guns I think). I've never had a problem with the outer space scenes either.

Enjoy! I'll be taking in a viewing some time in the next week or so.

True. He doesn't use his pistol much in this one. Does he even pull it out of his holster?
    What's funny was I hadn't seen this one in the cinema since it opened and I was very little, so I was fascinated to see a 35 mm print and look at the colors. The print was very old, but the colors were solid and rich.
    The screen, unfortunately was pretty small and the theater only sat about 100 if even that.

I'm on the gondola hovercraft bit. It's silly, but doesn't bother me, really.

One thing MR has plenty of is Bond spying. He sneaks around the glass company at night dressed in black, later he sneaks around the warehouse at night.
    Roger looks good here. My Casio kind of looks like his Seiko.
    MR really moves.....................I'm on the Chang fight. It's pretty funny. I like his 1979 bowl cut.

I must say, the editing is superb. I wonder if John Glen could be enticed to come back...........if even only to edit a future film? He might have been able to do wonders for SPECTRE.
    Holly is one of my favorite Moore leading Bond girls really. Had she lived in the golden age 1940's she might have had a Lauren Bacall style.

Bond makes asses out of M and Freddie with gas masks. LOL!

It's pretty funny.

Drax's line is priceless as well.
    The cable car bit is wonderful. Roger always looks suave in a double breasted dinner suit.
    The Magnificent Seven theme! Today few audience members would recognize this classic piece of music sadly.
    The bomb Seiko. Bang on time!

One of my favorite Roger gadgets.

"I think you owe us an explanation, 007."

(eyebrow raises)

(eyebrow raises)

"I've never been so humiliated in all my life!"
    The cable car bit is wonderful. Roger always looks suave in a double breasted dinner suit.

The scenery of Rio is so great. It is only featured for a short time in the film, but it leaves a lasting impression. Love when Bond comes in on Concord with the whimsical version of the MR theme playing.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,881

(eyebrow raises)

I like to think Frederick Gray is personally not all that angry at Bond, but has to express outrage in his official capacity as Minister of Defence.

(eyebrow raises)

I like to think Frederick Gray is personally not all that angry at Bond, but has to express outrage in his official capacity as Minister of Defence.

Either that or he gets over it quick.

The scenery of Rio is so great. It is only featured for a short time in the film, but it leaves a lasting impression. Love when Bond comes in on Concord with the whimsical version of the MR theme playing.

I love the music in that scene.

Bond and Holly in space. The Space Station is a classic Ken Adam set.

Back in '79 there was MR, STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA, BUCK ROGERS, etc all following the footsteps of STAR WARS in a sense.

IMO, the effects here hold up beautifully. I'll take Derek Meddings' miniatures over contemporary CGI any day.
    Well, here's to us.
    Great viewing of MR. Went by fast as well. Excellent editing by John Glen. A well deserved promotion awaited him.
    LALD. The cinematography during the bayou boat chase is some of the best in the series. Ah JW just burst onto the scene to save the day. RIP Clifton James.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,354
    LALD has one of the best collection of secondary characters. From allies like Felix, Strutter, and Quarrel Jr., to henchmen like Baron Samedi, Whisper, and Tee Hee and all the rest like Sheriff Pepper, Mrs. Bell, and the rest. Magnificent.
    It was in the teens for me for years but in the past two to three years it's sat in the 4-6 range. The movie just packs so much into two hours and moves along so briskly. Many talk about TSWLM being when Bond took stunts to the next level, but I believe it really started here. And the story is quite engaging as well.
    Always enjoyed Mankiewicz post finale with the henchmen. Started with Wint and Kidd in DAF and continues with Tee Hee in LALD. And the Baron Samedi ending... Classic.

JB will return in TMWTGG. My farewell mini marathon to 2017 and Rog continues tomorrow...