Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I don't understand choosing an absurdity like dad over a masterpiece like frwl, and don't want to. sorry but in my mind there is a limit to legitimate opinions.

FRWL is a good movie that's slow paced. I don't generally find a slow pace entertaining.

DAD is a deeply flawed movie that is entertaining in a fast-paced, popcorn sort of way. An absurdity can be entertaining.

Citizen Kane is a better movie than all of the Bond films, but I have no desire to sit through it. Hell, I'd be more entertained by The Room.

Thus ends my explanation of my apparently illegitimate opinion.
    The only thing I find shocking is that with all the ranking, elimination, preference games we have on here people are still shocked themselves when someone has an opinion different than theirs.

There will never be anything that has a full consensus, nor would we want that. Conversation would sure get stale quickly!

I can totally understand how @BMW_with_missiles would choose DAD over FRWL. And I also completely get how the vast majority would feel the other way. But having conversations and dialogue with the other viewpoint is part of the fun.

Thank you.
    From Russia with Love is the best Bond film and MR has probably my favourite score.

I'd actually miss those two more than OHMSS and QOS
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited December 2017 Posts: 2,730
    Its not so absurd that he doesn’t like frwl, or even that he likes DAD, but that he likes DAD so much that it’s #3.

But is that how your like bond films, silly, fun, and stupid?

Again I respect your opinion, don’t get me wrong, people find it absurd that I Love QOS, but I would like to know what you like so much about DAD
    I wish I did. I really do. I envy the people who find it to be one of their favorites; the silliness just doesn't entertain me like it does others.
    Its not so absurd that he doesn’t like frwl, or even that he likes DAD, but that he likes DAD so much that it’s #3.

Again I respect your opinion, don’t get me wrong, people find it absurd that I Love QOS, but I would like to know what you like so much about DAD

Pretty much, yeah. I do cringe at many parts of DAD; Jinx, Mr Kill, the robo-suit, etc. The film could certainly be better, and is very juvenile, but I generally enjoy over-the-top Bond films more than the serious ones. What I'm looking for in Bond is that kind of unashamed, all-out fun that no other franchise can offer, so I'm disappointed when EON shies away from that to do a more serious movie. That said, CR is my #4.
  • I do not accept that I shouldn't be shocked at a member of this forum ranking mr or dad above frwl
    Differing opinions!
    g600616996.gif
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Anyway, FRWL and OHMSS are both top 3 for me. Obvious choices for me.
  • GBFGBF
    frwl, OHMSS
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

We used to have a member that rated DAD #1. No one else on the forum agreed with him, they just accepted it.
    FRWL & OHMSS
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

We used to have a member that rated DAD #1. No one else on the forum agreed with him, they just accepted it.

And where is he now? In a psychiatric ward?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @BMW_with_missiles , @JamesBondKenya - you both agree on TB if I'm not mistaken. One rates it below NSNA if I remember correctly and the other rates it near the bottom. Both shocks to me but c'est la vie. See, we can find common ground after all.

In all seriousness, I can readily understand how someone can rate MR above FRWL (even though FRWL is my #1 Bond film). DAD however? It may take me some time to come to terms with that one.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    FRWL & OHMSS.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Chanandler Bong! I wondered what happened to him?
    FRWL and OHMSS belong in my perhaps eternal top 3. So that is my picks.
  • GBFGBF
    Let's move on to the next. Couldn't we insert an automatic end when the score is 10:0? We could also make it like a football league so that each round each film has to play against another film. Then it would only be 24 weeks :-)
    royale65 wrote: »

Chanandler Bong! I wondered what happened to him?

He cures people who dislike DAD
    1988445-doctor_bong_diagnosis_deadpool_26.jpg
    GBF wrote: »
    Let's move on to the next. Couldn't we insert an automatic end when the score is 10:0? We could also make it like a football league so that each round each film has to play against another film. Then it would only be 24 weeks :-)

I am sticking to the plan.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    FRWL and QoS

(as much as I like and love OHMSS also)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I do not accept that I shouldn't be shocked at a member of this forum ranking mr or dad above frwl

I'm with you mate.

'I'm entitled to my opinion' The last refuge of the scoundrel to be honest.

The premier league has only 20 teams (films) and that takes 38 weeks.

24 would probably stretch to nearer 45 or so.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,330
    I don't think anyone said they were entitled to their opinion. People simply followed the rules of the game and chose their favorite between the two films and in retaliation, there was a post saying their choices were an "atrocity" and "outrage". To which a few of us responded by asking how someone can get so triggered by someone else's preferences, though we are honored you care so much about our opinion :)

People's preferences and tastes change over time as well. Heck, 2 of my top 5 were in my bottom 5 when I was younger.

Anywho, to avoid any shock or disbelief in the future... my top 5 are MR, TLD, LALD, CR, FRWL. So don't expect any of them to get beat often when I post!
  • OHMSS and FRWL seem pretty clear to me.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 832
    No. If someone prefers a pile of crap like die another day over a masterpiece like from russia wuth love, one of the very best films in the history of the genre, I will respect their opinion to be sure, but it has no value. In the unlikely event that they somehow sucessfully justify their opinion I will recognize that, but in this case I don't see how that's possible.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    FRWL vs. DAD is a no-brainer (imho).

But OHMSS vs. QoS is tough (for me):

Overall atmosphere: OHMSS
    Action sequences: Undecided (both are top notch)
    Story: OHMSS
    Bond Actor: QoS
    Soundtrack: Undecided (to me QoS is Arnold's best)
    Bond girl: Undecided (I just love the Camille character but Tracy also ...)
    Villain: OHMSS
    Best scene: QoS (Tosca)

In the end for me it's Craig vs. Lazenby and Craig wins. In the end this is something I could not really decide upon to be honest

As much as I like QoS, I'd have to give all those categories to OHMSS, except possibly action. The best scene for me between them is either the ski chase or Tracy's death. The action and soundtrack are top notch in both.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The soundtrack was surprisingly good when I rewatched QoS but OHMSS is just on another level.
    The soundtrack was surprisingly good when I rewatched QoS but OHMSS is just on another level.

Exactly. OHMSS boasts the greatest soundtrack of the whole series. QoS could make my Top 10 soundtracks though.
  • GBFGBF
    I do not accept that I shouldn't be shocked at a member of this forum ranking mr or dad above frwl

I'm with you mate.

'I'm entitled to my opinion' The last refuge of the scoundrel to be honest.

The premier league has only 20 teams (films) and that takes 38 weeks.

24 would probably stretch to nearer 45 or so.

Maybe that is because they play against each other twice in the PL. Films, however, only need to play against each other once.
  • GBFGBF
    Birdleson is right however. I did not intend to change any rule. Just thought about giving a hint to make the game a bit quicker .... That, however, has to be decided by the host of this thread...