Talking about being Politically Correct !

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Here we go....kids can now phone Childline legally,in Scotland,if smacked by their parents.
    Pathetic,it never did me any harm or my kids :

Smacking children to be banned in Scotland.

Scotland is set to become the first part of the UK to introduce an outright ban on smacking children, after the Scottish government confirmed it would ensure that a member’s bill to give children equal protection from assault becomes law.

John Finnie, the justice spokesperson for the Scottish Greens, has proposed a member’s bill to remove the defence of “justifiable assault” from Scottish law, giving children the same legal protection as adults.

A Scottish government spokesperson said: “Mr Finnie’s proposals are not a Scottish government bill; however, we will ensure the proposals become law. We believe physical punishment can have negative effects on children which can last long after the physical pain has died away. We support positive parenting through, for example, funding for family support services.”

Finnie said on Thursday: “Giving children equal protection against assault will send a clear message to all of us about how we treat each other and underpin Scotland’s efforts to reduce violence.
    “The physical punishment of children is already illegal in 52 countries and my proposal will give children in Scotland the necessary protections to flourish in a healthy environment and encourage the building of stronger relationships between children, their parents and others who care for them.”

The UK is currently one of four countries in the European Union that have not committed to legal reform over the physical punishment of children. The Welsh government announced in June its own plans to consult on removing the defence of “reasonable chastisement” for parents.

A three-month public consultation on Finnie’s proposed bill, which took place over the summer, received an overwhelmingly positive response from organisations and individuals, including the Scottish Police Federation, Unicef UK and the NSPCC.

Finnie’s bill received a further boost as Scottish Labour said supporting it was “the right thing to do”. Labour’s education spokesperson, Iain Gray, said: “Labour MSPs have discussed John Finnie’s bill and do believe that the time has come to provide children with the same protection as adults under the law.”

It's already illegal in 52 countries including Sweden since the late seventies and New Zealand recently. They've been doing worldwide studies on the effects of corporal punishment for decades. I think Scotland will be ok. It avoids normalising a defence of 'justifiable violence' in court cases - and it also erodes the defence of continued violence against children on the grounds of 'religious beliefs' or 'cultural traditions'.

You sure about that? You can't smack them but you can chop their foreskin off and, even though the religion appeasing government tries to make the right noises, you can also cut their clitoris off without fear of imprisonment.

Clip round the ear or some nutter with a beard and a robe setting about your cock with a pair of scissors? I know which I'd rather have.
    Here we go....kids can now phone Childline legally,in Scotland,if smacked by their parents.

Scotland is set to become the first part of the UK to introduce an outright ban on smacking children, after the Scottish government confirmed it would ensure that a member’s bill to give children equal protection from assault becomes law.

John Finnie, the justice spokesperson for the Scottish Greens, has proposed a member’s bill to remove the defence of “justifiable assault” from Scottish law, giving children the same legal protection as adults.

A Scottish government spokesperson said: “Mr Finnie’s proposals are not a Scottish government bill; however, we will ensure the proposals become law. We believe physical punishment can have negative effects on children which can last long after the physical pain has died away. We support positive parenting through, for example, funding for family support services.”

Finnie said on Thursday: “Giving children equal protection against assault will send a clear message to all of us about how we treat each other and underpin Scotland’s efforts to reduce violence.
    “The physical punishment of children is already illegal in 52 countries and my proposal will give children in Scotland the necessary protections to flourish in a healthy environment and encourage the building of stronger relationships between children, their parents and others who care for them.”

The UK is currently one of four countries in the European Union that have not committed to legal reform over the physical punishment of children. The Welsh government announced in June its own plans to consult on removing the defence of “reasonable chastisement” for parents.

A three-month public consultation on Finnie’s proposed bill, which took place over the summer, received an overwhelmingly positive response from organisations and individuals, including the Scottish Police Federation, Unicef UK and the NSPCC.

Finnie’s bill received a further boost as Scottish Labour said supporting it was “the right thing to do”. Labour’s education spokesperson, Iain Gray, said: “Labour MSPs have discussed John Finnie’s bill and do believe that the time has come to provide children with the same protection as adults under the law.”

It's already illegal in 52 countries including Sweden since the late seventies and New Zealand recently. They've been doing worldwide studies on the effects of corporal punishment for decades. I think Scotland will be ok. It avoids normalising a defence of 'justifiable violence' in court cases - and it also erodes the defence of continued violence against children on the grounds of 'religious beliefs' or 'cultural traditions'.

You sure about that? You can't smack them but you can chop their foreskin off and, even though the religion appeasing government tries to make the right noises, you can also cut their clitoris off without fear of imprisonment.

Clip round the ear or some nutter with a beard and a robe setting about your cock with a pair of scissors? I know which I'd rather have.

So,how long have you been into bearded men then Wiz ? ;)

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721

I don't want to get into a cock fight with you because you make a valid point but I would stand by that it erodes (not eradicates) these type of defences - in a court of law mind you, so it needs to get to that place first. So it may take a few brave men to sue their parents for mutilating them as children with circumcision before that becomes a crime. Female genital mutilation is outlawed in many countries - including if people go outside those countries to get the procedure they can still be prosecuted when they return. But as with any punishing any abuse - someone needs to prosecute them. But in my eyes these laws are a slow progress to giving people the tools to fight violence against children.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 9,117

I don't want to get into a cock fight with you because you make a valid point but I would stand by that it erodes (not eradicates) these type of defences - in a court of law mind you, so it needs to get to that place first. So it may take a few brave men to sue their parents for mutilating them as children with circumcision before that becomes a crime. Female genital mutilation is outlawed in many countries - including if people go outside those countries to get the procedure they can still be prosecuted when they return. But as with any punishing any abuse - someone needs to prosecute them. But in my eyes these laws are a slow progress to giving people the tools to fight violence against children.

Agree entirely with every word you say.

It just strikes me as an utterly absurd world we live in where I can quite legally cut the end of a baby's penis off (even Jimmy Saville never stooped to that) yet I could go down for giving my kid a smack because he won't go to bed. You might think any government worth it's salt would crack down on the former before it worried about the latter.

That's like imprisoning people driving at 40mph in a 30mph area but turning a blind eye when someone canes it down the motorway at 150mph.
    If smacking has part of religious heritage , then no gov would ouitlaw it. Smacking is a secular tradition so governments are prepared to tackle it.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    There was some sports news report about the Women's Cricket doing well. The anchor was remarking to the reporter that it seemed like they were outshining the Men's... the reporter replied that the Men's hadn't even started playing this season yet, lol.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    It seems 'mixed race' families are all the rage this year in Christmas adverts, with John Lewis, M&S and Debenhams all ticking the diversity box. But every couple is black male/white female.

The white men and black women are being left out! :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It seems 'mixed race' families are all the rage this year in Christmas adverts, with John Lewis, M&S and Debenhams all ticking the diversity box. But every couple is black male/white female.

@LeonardPine, I've noticed the same thing, but vice versa. Always white male, black female.
    Our Dutch female soccer team became European champions last summer and when the men's National team kinda messed up their first game after the summer one commentator said they played like girls and the rest wish they actually had played like the female squad, impassioned and champions.

@LeonardPine, I've noticed the same thing, but vice versa. Always white male, black female.

Is that on U.S TV ?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Is that on U.S TV ?

@LeonardPine, usually on promotional ads for different stores that spam up my e-mail. I don't watch TV much, so I'm not aware what commercials have been running lately.

I don't know what you're talking about chaps. Maybe this seems strange for those of you in the provinces but down here in that London we all live in multiethnic relationships. 90% of which are homosexual or Trans.

Those adverts seem pretty reflective of real life and not painfully contrived by a committee of lefties oozing desperation to be inclusive and not to offend anyone out of every pore.

I don't know what you're talking about chaps. Maybe this seems strange for those of you in the provinces but down here in that London we all live in multiethnic relationships. 90% of which are homosexual or Trans.

Those adverts seem pretty reflective of real life and not painfully contrived by a committee of lefties oozing desperation to be inclusive and not to offend anyone out of every pore.

@TheWizardOfIce, I wasn't commenting on the validity of the adverts or if they correlated to the actual populations in which they're advertised, just that I saw them about. I couldn't be happier, frankly. With interracial relationships getting more accepted even by the prudish and old-fashioned, I can finally make my move on Naomie Harris.
    I noticed this and did a little research. Depending on which figures you use, mixed couple are around 7to 9% within the UK so are massively over represented within UK TV adverts. They are attempting to buy into the forward looking, "melting pot" , liberal values that they think their customers (and potential customers) will relate to. They spend millions on these adverts including focus groups to give feedback.

This is also what Tesco have done in showing a Muslim family celebrating Christmas which opens up a whole new can of politcally correct worms. (imagine the uproar of another advert showed a Christian family celebrating ramadan?)

As an atheist, I must admit that I do feel a little sorry for Christians who seem to be watching as any hint of religious meaning is steadily sucked from their celibration and Tesco are complicit in this.
    Christians moan too much about a war on their Christmas, or wars on their faith, and on and on. They'll be fine. If all else fails, they can always pray their problems away.

The adverts have been like this for a while now. There's always gotta be a white kid, a black kid, and some other minority, either latino or asian. The full spectrum, etc. The only issue I ever have with commercials is how cringe-inducing they are, no matter who is being depicted.
    Well it was a lighthearted post, it's just odd that all three adverts have the exact same 'diverse combination'

Well it was a lighthearted post, it's just odd that all three adverts have the exact same 'diverse combination'
    I guess the Ministry of Diversity and Inclusivity sends a carefully calculated formula out to all the advertising agencies and if they fail to adhere to it they are marched off for some 're-education'.
    I guess the Ministry of Diversity and Inclusivity sends a carefully calculated formula out to all the advertising agencies and if they fail to adhere to it they are marched off for some 're-education'.

Could well be.

Perhaps next year it'll be three families in separate adverts all featuring an Asian man and with his white wife wearing a Hijab

Nothing odd about that and I'm sure no one will turn a hair....
    patb wrote: »
    I noticed this and did a little research. Depending on which figures you use, mixed couple are around 7to 9% within the UK so are massively over represented within UK TV adverts. They are attempting to buy into the forward looking, "melting pot" , liberal values that they think their customers (and potential customers) will relate to. They spend millions on these adverts including focus groups to give feedback.

Exactly my point. It's an amusing coincidence that these advertising companies were obviously all singing from the same tick box diversity hymn sheet.

It's not co-incidence. They are using the same "norms and values" and perceive that most of their customers share these. People who notice and make a cold analysis of their tactics are not their target audience. How the hell to you advertise to an educated, analytical customer base? Impossible. Stick to puppies and kittens and you won't go far wrong. Advertising is a horrible business IMHO
    PS way off topic but the SKY Cinema advert is the bext Xmas advert IMHO
    patb wrote: »
    It's not co-incidence. They are using the same "norms and values" and perceive that most of their customers share these. People who notice and make a cold analysis of their tactics are not their target audience. How the hell to you advertise to an educated, analytical customer base? Impossible. Stick to puppies and kittens and you won't go far wrong. Advertising is a horrible business IMHO
    PS way off topic but the SKY Cinema advert is the bext Xmas advert IMHO

Good points.

By the way do you mean the advert where various families are watching 'The Sound Of Music' ?

Tis very good.
    PMed
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Another stupid cow,going PC mad :

Mother claims Sleeping Beauty should be banned in primary schools over 'non-consensual kissing' .

BBFwQFd.img?h=486&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=460&y=433

A mother-of-two has claimed Sleeping Beauty should be banned in primary schools because the story contains problematic themes of "sexual behaviour and consent".

Sarah Hall, from Newcastle, said she was disturbed by the non-consensual kissing in the classic fairytale when the prince wakes up the sleeping princess with a kiss on the lips.
    I think it's a specific issue in the Sleeping Beauty story about sexual behaviour and consent," she told the Sun.

"While we are still seeing narratives like this in school, we are never going to change ingrained attitudes to sexual behaviour. All these things build up, and they make a difference."
    Ms Hall said the story should be limited to older children who are able to understand the concept of consent.

"In today's society, it isn't appropriate," she added.

"My son is only six-years-old and he absorbs everything he sees and it isn't as if I can turn it into a constructive conversation.

"I actually think it would be a great resource for older children, you could have a conversation around it, you could talk about consent, and how the Princess might feel.

"But I'm really concerned about it for younger children, and I would really welcome a conversation about whether this is suitable material."
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I object to the poisoned fruit. Sends the wrong message and hurts commerce.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The question is, if their genders were reversed (princess kissing the prince to wake him up), would there have still been a complaint?

We will never know.
    QBranch wrote: »
    The question is, if their genders were reversed (princess kissing the prince to wake him up), would there have still been a complaint?

We will never know.

If I was a betting man,i would bet that there wouldn't be,Q.

What about the health and safety risks of trying to negotiate all those brambles and thorns?

And they're both white and heterosexual? Sleeping Beauty's not even a tranny is she?

This story is an utter disgrace. The Brothers Grimm are no better than Savile.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,945

We will never know.
    Well, if that's the case... Sexist!
    Sleeping Beauty's not even a tranny is she?
    That was hilarious :))

We will never know.
    Well, if that's case... Sexist!

Exactly !!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I object to the poisoned fruit. Sends the wrong message and hurts commerce.

You raise a good point, people who identify as some sort of fruit might find the story deeply offensive. Makes no difference to me, I identify as a Creda Fridge/Freezer Combo.