Do you believe in astrology?

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

The likes of Mystic Meg and astrology in the newspaper is clearly a large pile of bollocks covered with lashings of utter drivel gravy.

I could imagine Rimmer making that speech.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    The fact that Astrology actually exists in the 21st Century is the actual issue. It's utter tripe and we all know it.

But we need our tripe and enjoy it, to be honest I prefer it over the likes of Facebook.

But it seems that nowadays we do not get to enjoy anything that a certain group considers tripe or rubbish. Why can one not leave people to enjoy their own things without pulling the superiority card.
    Don't get so worked up about it, all of you. Dance your names a couple of times, swallow your globuli and relax...
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The fact that Astrology actually exists in the 21st Century is the actual issue. It's utter tripe and we all know it.

But we need our tripe and enjoy it, to be honest I prefer it over the likes of Facebook.

But it seems that nowadays we do not get to enjoy anything that a certain group considers tripe or rubbish. Why can one not leave people to enjoy their own things without pulling the superiority card.
    Don't get so worked up about it, all of you. Dance your names a couple of times, swallow your globuli and relax...

See I have no idea what you are saying at least I understand Astrology. ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

We all tend to be braver and more outspoken behind a keyboard than we would be face to face.
    Someone on here (apologies for forgetting who) has made many anti religion speeches, but then told a story of being faced with a God fearing lady in a church recently and he was much more polite and apologetic in his stance as a non believer.
    As would I be, and everyone else come to that.

Anonymity makes us brave. Just as being in a high speed metal box gives us the balls to wave our fists and shout at other people, which we would likely not do in the streets.

I find astrology tedious and have never, ever read my 'stars'. I'm not even 100% sure of my star sign. But, I will defend anyone's right to believe in it if they so desire.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NicNac wrote: »

We all tend to be braver and more outspoken behind a keyboard than we would be face to face.
    Someone on here (apologies for forgetting who) has made many anti religion speeches, but then told a story of being faced with a God fearing lady in a church recently and he was much more polite and apologetic in his stance as a non believer.

Howdy there. That situation was less a case of me only being "brave" enough to speak out behind a keyboard, but more a case of me being at a funeral in a church that was about the least suitable location you could imagine for an atheist vs. theist debate; to act outspoken would be to rudely crash a ceremony for a dead woman I'd known. In the comfort of that "God fearing" woman's home, or another less public area I'd have been happy to take the discussion further, but a woman was dead and it all seemed in bad taste to say anything beyond identify myself as a non-believer, as one could imagine.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Howdy there. That situation was less a case of me only being "brave" enough to speak out behind a keyboard, but more a case of me being at a funeral in a church that was about the least suitable location you could imagine for an atheist vs. theist debate; to act outspoken would be to rudely crash a ceremony for a dead woman I'd known. In the comfort of that "God fearing" woman's home, or another less public area I'd have been happy to take the discussion further, but a woman was dead and it all seemed in bad taste to say anything beyond identify myself as a non-believer, as one could imagine.

Yes, that's fair enough. One has to be tactful at funerals.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think it's best to be tactful at all times. ;-)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Ahaa, it was you Brady. You make the point I was trying to make (badly). We are less inclined to be boarish and confrontational in the real world where the circumstances can dictate our actions.
    It doesn't alter my point that we are braver behind keyboards, although that wasn't aimed at you Brady, anymore than it was aimed at myself.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Ahaa, it was you Brady. You make the point I was trying to make (badly). We are less inclined to be boarish and confrontational in the real world where the circumstances can dictate our actions.
    It doesn't alter my point that we are braver behind keyboards, although that wasn't aimed at you Brady, anymore than it was aimed at myself.

No problem, Nackers. I also know the religious woman (I grew up with her daughter and by association have known her for most of my life), so to back up your point I was more willing to be lenient with her and drop the conversation than I probably would be with a stranger I didn't know. But more than that, it just wasn't the time for it and my anger with religion isn't with small town believers, but more the institutional nature of it.

The woman asked me flat out what I believed, and I think my honesty put the ghost in her as she was beyond shocked to learn of my atheist (not sure why?) and promised that she'd make me change my mind about what I believed (I laughed this off and walked away, as I know where these things go). It's since been three weeks since I outed myself to her as a heathen and she's yet to send any Jesus pamphlets to my doorstep or buckets of miracle water, so I must say I'm disappointed. Jehova's Witnesses don't slack like that.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I think it's best to be tactful at all times. ;-)
    No doubt.
    Astrology is as plausible as pizzalogy. Which is reading the future and personality in a pizza you ordered based on the place of its ingredients on the surface. It's just as logically sound and accurate.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Astrology is as plausible as pizzalogy. Which is reading the future and personality in a pizza you ordered based on the place of its ingredients on the surface. It's just as logically sound and accurate.

Who has time to inspect a pizza? I can't look at one for a second without taking to shoving it down my pie hole.

Who has time to inspect a pizza? I can't look at one for a second without taking to shoving it down my pie hole.

That's because you don't know how to read it.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Astrology...

According to the Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense:
    PTOIN3.jpg

That's because you don't know how to read it.

Ah, I see. Well, I stare at the glistening pepperoni slices on the pizza as they come to my mouth and they always scream, "EAT ME! EAT ME!" so I think I'm fairly fluent in this pizzalogy business.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who shares their horoscopes with which Bonds here, then?

Sean Connery and George Lazenby-Virgo
    Roger Moore-Libra
    Timothy Dalton-Aries
    Pierce Brosnan-Taurus
    Daniel Craig-Pisces

Dalton shares his with Fleming s Bond. Date of first publication, that is.
    I'm with Roger, then.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Me too. ( although I had to Check )
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I share it with Mr. Craig but couldn't be more different from him. As I said, using a 'month' as the predictive factor is quite meaningless.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm a Taurus like Brosnan - ten days behind his birthday.
    Who shares their horoscopes with which Bonds here, then?

Sean Connery and George Lazenby-Virgo
    Roger Moore-Libra
    Timothy Dalton-Aries
    Pierce Brosnan-Taurus
    Daniel Craig-Pisces

Dalton shares his with Fleming s Bond. Date of first publication, that is.

I'm with Sir Roger as I was born on the same date, 14 October.
    And Putin.
    And Putin.

He's a Libra too, then. Small world.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    And Putin.

Nothing keeps the proverbial balance in life quite like state-sanctioned assassinations on political rivals and whistle-blowers. Putin truly lives a Libra lifestyle!
    And Putin.

Nothing keeps the proverbial balance in life quite like state-sanctioned assassinations on political rivals and whistle-blowers. Putin truly lives a Libra lifestyle!

I'm a Law graduate so maybe Libra was right on that? The scales of justice etc.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't believe in that Zodiac stuff. Only that Scorpios are the greatest, most intelligent and lovable persons on earth. At least those of the first decade.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I don't believe in that Zodiac stuff. Only that Scorpios are the greatest, most intelligent and lovable persons on earth. At least those of the first decade.

You wouldn't happen to be a Scorpio, would you? ;)
    I think it is safe to say that a Taurus cannot be Bond.

BS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

BS.
    Agreed. That's a load of bull.